Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Fairen Destiny ❯ Chapter 13

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: If I owned him, I'd be living in Japan, writing other awesome manga stories. But since I'm not, I clearly don't Rurouni Kenshin.
Hey all! Look I'm finally updating. There's something about me and updating exactly one month between updates. I'm just weird I guess. I did what I said and Kenshin actually began learning to fly! (I did something I said I would, it's a miracle!) though he hasn't completely learned to fly yet. That's next chapter I guess. X'
I tried looking up how birds and bats learned to fly for this chapter. Didn't help. I just had to try to make it sound like I knew what I'm talking about (HA!) --`
I'm sorry about the short chapter last time, this one's longer (eight whole pages, go me. Woohoo. Lol)
Speaking of last chapter, as to whether or not Tsubame and Yahiko will be evil is for me to know and ya'all to find out n-n same goes for the upcoming ball, which will surprisingly help progress the plot (shocking isn't it?) I still have to figure out what chapter that's gonna happen in though….
Alright, in case anyone is wondering….Tomoe and everyone else (including Kaoru herself) think that there is NOTHING special about Kaoru other than the fact that she has no wings or magic but they think that's just some weird fluke thing that happened her past before she was a the castle. She might just be an elf for all they know. (She was adopted remember? She didn't always lives with Sano's family)
They know about Kenshin being the Battousai and that he is important and needs to find someone who lived during the prologue which was about 2,000 years ago. (So how could it be Kaoru? -shifty eyes-) I mentioned everything I just said in the other chapters right? I sure hope so. If I didn't, you all just got a free insight to the plot. (I think I still have yet to clarify why Kenshin's important……I need to do that) And I am so giving a way plot here - -` but…..I'm lousy at keeping my mouth shut apparently. Heh.
Alright, alright. I'll let you all read now. I'm done talking. (for now)
READ ON!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~
 
Kenshin blinked slowly, allowing his eyes to adjust to the light in his room. He stretched as he sat up, wings spreading to full wing span. He still wasn't quit use to that. Trying to sleep with wings took some getting used use to. A lot of getting used to. The large leathered wings kept twisting around or hitting parts of him while he slept. Very annoying.
He stood up, still stretching stiff joints occasionally and stopped, as a thought occurred to him while staring at his dresser. Everyone had told countless times yesterday not to try anything without someone there to help or watch but…..I wonder if….he concentrated his stare at his dresser, even outstretching his hand towards it, and tried to will it open.
It didn't budge.
He tried again and again but the dresser apparently didn't want to cooperate and remained firmly shut. Finally he gave one more try, putting all his willpower behind it, feeling something emit from him and…“AHHHHHH!”
Crash! His dresser not only moved, but came hurtling at him, making him just dodge the thing and sprawl over the ground with wings splayed over him. Well that worked well. And now his clothes were strewn all over. He growled, picking out a tunic and breeches to get dressed and pulled his night shirt off.
“That's what that was. You have a very interesting way of getting dressed in the morning Kenshin.” Kenshin jumped at the unexpected visitor, letting out a sigh of relief when he saw it was only Sano. Last thing I need is Kaoru or the other two coming in here to see me without a shirt and yelling at me for trying magic. I don't think Kaoru couldn't yell at me for that though…she probably still would.
“Just thought I'd try. How was I supposed to know my dresser would attempt to crush me?” His voice was muffled as he slipped the tunic over his head. Amusement, plain as day, lit Sano's voice. “I knew you would. Use to get in trouble all the time when I was a kid for that. I guess I should fix this for you. You'd probably send it threw the wall into my room.”
Kenshin glared at him as Sano still stood in his door way. It didn't look like he did anything but the dresser suddenly levitated back to its proper place and the clothes folded themselves back into the dresser. He makes it looks easy. Kenshin couldn't help but feel slightly resentful at how simple it was for Sano. He's done this stuff his whole life. It should be easy for him. At least Sano wasn't going to lecture him about trying magic without someone there.
“So ready to go down to meet Aoshi?” Kenshin turned to face Sano while adjusting the ties in the back of his tunic. “Aoshi? Why do I need to meet him?”
“He didn't tell you? Aoshi's volunteered to teach you to fly today.” Kenshin furrowed his brow in confusion. “Why's he going to teach me?” Sano smiled like it was obvious.
“Because he's a Doren like you. You both have the same wings. Megumi and I could probably teach you but I'm a horrible teacher and Megumi's busy today. 'Sides it would be a little hard since me and Megumi are Betroes. We fly similar I guess, but Betroes and Dorens wing structures are slightly different and we have feathers and you don't. Makes a difference. And Misao sure couldn't teach you. Itens fly completely different from either Betroes or Dorens.” Laughter occasionally broke between his explanation.
Okay so maybe it is obvious. Excuse him for not really thinking about it before. Sano grinned at him good naturedly. “Sorry if I bored you. You'd end up being told this all anyway. Best if you're told now instead of waiting for Aoshi or Megumi to tell you. They'll take all day explaining it. Speaking of Megumi, I think she said she's going to teach magic after ya can fly. If she thinks you're up to it. It probably depends on if she's up to it or not though.” Kenshin raised an eyebrow waiting for Sano to enlighten him further. He had gone on this rant; he might as well finish it so Kenshin could understand what he was talking about.
It took Sano a moment before he figured what the silence meant. “Megumi mentioned she might try to teach you some magic basics. I said that, didn't I? She and Lady Tomoe are in hurry to get you caught up on everything. They have a lot to teach you I'd imagine.”
Well I have only just found outfairens even exist less than a week ago. Kenshin spaced outfor a moment thinking of what he'd have to learn. When he zoned in on the conversation again, Sano had completely gone off subject, choosing to talk about only Megumi instead.
“…..she's really good at healing and she knows it so whenever someone says otherwise they normally find themselves in worst condition then before. I speak from experience. She really should learn to take a joke. Megumi's too serious sometimes. I suggest when she's teaching you to just nod and do every thing you're told and don't question her. The woman has a gorgeous body but a bad temper. Shame really. We could have such fun together if I knew she wouldn't poison me for everything I say. She just can't take a compliment.”
“Oh really?” Sano froze; face paling just slightly and grin sliding off his face, as Megumi side stepped from behind him. Kenshin didn't even see her. Apparently nor did Sano and judging from Sano's expression, he was in trouble. “M-Megumi. How long were you behind me? Whatever you heard was meant in the best possible way.”
“I heard the whole thing.” A simple statement but it sounded like Sano was just sentenced to death. Her face was tinged red from a blush. Sano hadn't said anything Kenshin heard to cause her to blush. What did Sano say when he zoned out? Nothing good by the looks of it.
“A bad temper? Apparently it's not enough to keep your mind out of the gutter. I can't believe you would even dare think some of that about me. If you have time to think such things then obviously you have too much free time on your hands. Since Aoshi is going to busy teaching Kenshin, you can help me work out the kinks to a few potions and spells I'm working on, and I'm sure Misao could use a sparring partner today. Aoshi might even want to spare later tonight as well. Looks like you have a busy day today, Sano. Come on. Best get to work then.”
Sano's face had gone paper white and his eyes looked ready to pop out by the time she had finished saying his schedule for the day. Even without Sano there or the way he was taking it, Kenshin could tell what Megumi had in store for him was going to be absolute hell. Sano attempted weak protest but he couldn't get any audible words out of his mouth.
“I'm not listening to your excuses. You had it coming with that dirty mind of yours. And you might not say it but you most surely think it. I think today is exactly what you need.” A small red light emitted from Megumi's left hand, clenched tight in a fist. Kenshin suddenly felt very sorry for the man next to him. “Oh and by the way Kenshin, Aoshi asked me to make sure you meet him outside at the gates.”
“He sent me to tell him that.”
“Well he couldn't honestly expect you to deliver the message. Aoshi sent me to make sure Kenshin actually heard it. It's a surprise you actually told him.” She grabbedSano's ear and began leading him down the hall and called over her shoulder. “Have fun learning t fly Kenshin.” Carting a crest fallen Sano behind her, Megumi glided down the hall and out of site.
Kenshin blinked a couple times before closing his door, replaying what just happened in his head. I think Megumi likes finding excuses to torture Sano.Andas eager as he was to fly and use his new found magical capabilities, he thought Lady Tomoe would make him wait a few more days at the least before learning anything. He'd just ask Megumi later. Or whoever else he could find.
s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s
Aoshi stood by the large gates, waiting for the past half hour for Kenshin to come down. Honestly Sano, how hard is it to deliver a two second message? Probably a good idea he sent Megumi when He did. He sighed and leaned against the stone wall, arms crossed. He should have just gone up there himself. It's my fault I have to wait here. Sano said he could do it and I believed him. `I'm already going up there myself, I'll tell him' he says. Phf, he probably got distracted but some pretty servant girl.
Aoshi was still mentally grumbling to himself when he saw Kenshin walking towards him. He stood upright and waved to Kenshin to get his attention. Kenshin waved back and said good morning. Aoshi could see an uncertainty in Kenshin's steps but also the eagerness in his eyes. It was quite amusing.
“Ready to go then? I know a clearing by the lake that's perfect for practice. Do you want to walk or fly?” Aoshi noted the unasked question in Kenshin's widened eyes. “I'm not going to expect you to fly there already. I'll fly and you'll just levitate.” Kenshin nodded reluctantly after a moment and Aoshi took off into the air before lifting Kenshin behind him.
They flew over the forest, heading straight for a clearing on the opposite bank of Elen Lake. Kenshin was busy staring at the view below. Aoshi was slightly surprised to Ranesta when they landed in the clearing. She hid well despite her large size. Ranesta didn't look surprised to see them however. She was tearing down trees in the clearing and only glanced at them before continuing. “Good morning Rayne.”
“Good day Aoshi, Kenshin. A particular reason you're here?” She ripped a tree, roots and all, from the ground and began burning the leaves off it. Aoshi took a step to the side and shielded himself to avoid the burning flames. “Actually I was hoping to give Kenshin his flying lessons here. But if you're busy we can easily go somewhere else.”
“You may practice here. I'm almost done; this is the last tree anyway.” The leaves from the tree had been burned completely now and, before the fire could spread to the rest of the tree or ground, Ranesta emitted another flame from her mouth, this time a pale blue one, wiping out the previous flames and causing Aoshi to shiver a moment.
Kenshin watched Ranesta, completely silent, with eyes looking ready to bulge from his eye sockets. Kaoru had told him about Kenshin's first meeting with Ranesta and Aoshi couldn't help the small grin that slid onto his face.
Ranesta grasped the log in her forefeet and took off into the air; both Kenshin and Aoshi covering their eyes from the wind and dust she stirred up. Ranesta called back to them “Good luck with your lessons!” -Kenshin and Aoshi waving to her in response- before dipping back into the forest and out of site.
“Couldn't we have still practiced if Ranesta was here? Why'd you have to ask her?” Kenshin was still watching the part of the forest Ranesta disappeared into. “Yes we could have but it's only polite to ask if she was here first. And she could drive us off if she wanted to. This is her clearing.”
“Hers?” He rolled his eyes at Kenshin. I guess he kinda has an excuse but honestly, you'd think he'd figure this stuff out. “Yes hers. You think this clearing was always been here? Rayne's the one who cleared it. Now do you have any other questions or can we start? No? Good. Then let's get started, Kenshin.”
The red head turned to face him and shrugged. “Sure. Where do we start?” Aoshi mentally readied himself for all the lectures and teaching he would have to give for the day. “Were you paying attention to how I was flying here?” He shook his head. Aoshi sighed at him. “Okay, did you pay attention to how Rayne was flying just now?”
“Sort of.” Better then nothing. Would it kill him to notice the details? “Alright. First off, we're going to have to get you use to using your wings and build their strength up. Just do what I do. ” He extended his leathered wings out behind him and flapped up and down in a slight rotating motion. Kenshin watched a moment before mimicking his wing motions; though no way near as coordinated or graceful. “Good. Now I want you to practice that for a while until you get the hang of it.”
“How long is that going to take?”
“Until you can do it in your sleep.” Kenshin looked at him like he had grown an extra head. Still, Kenshin beat his wings up and down as before, slowly gaining rhythm and confidence. Up and down, up and down. Aoshi observed him with a keen eye, correcting and commending where necessary. A couple times Kenshin almost looked ready to take off.
It was around noon when Aoshi told Kenshin he could take a break. His wings and shoulders sagged in relief. “Tired?” Kenshin had to reason to be and he looked tired enough. He had kept it up all morning, never once complaining to take a break, though at times giving him looks or glares when he thought Aoshi wasn't looking. He easily ignored those. Kenshin slumped to the ground, crossing his legs and facing the lake. “My wings feel like they're ready to fall off.”
“That means you're working your muscles. You did well. You're a quick learner.” He sat down near Kenshin, cross legged. “All I did was beat my wings, I didn't even fly yet. When am I gonna start actually flying?” At least he's eager.
“Trust me, when most start learning it normally takes much longer to get coordinated enough to get this far, mind you they are kids when they start. And kids also don't have as a good stamina. It normally takes a week to learn to fly for most. Though you shouldn't get ahead of yourself, you should be able to start some basic flying by the end of the day. Nothing very complicated or too high until you've learned some magic of course.”
“I thought being here today was so I could fly. What magic would I need to learn before flying?” His expression was like a child's when being denied a treat.
“You'll fly by today don't worry. I mean you can't go above a certain altitude before learning some magic. The air gets thin when you go high enough and you need to be able to gather enough oxygen to yourself so you don't pass out.” Kenshin nodded, taking everything he said in. Good to know he listened when necessary. They both sat their; Aoshi closing his eyes and taking in the peace and quiet, and Kenshin enjoying his rest.
They both gave a start when an unexpected voice called to them. “Aoshi! Kenshin!” They leaped up, seeing Misao swiftly flying towards them with a basket in her hands. She landed softly, smiling and holding out the basket for Aoshi to take. “Hope you're hungry. I brought lunch for both of you. How's practice going? Learned to fly yet Kenshin? Is he any trouble Aoshi?” Misao was talking quickly and positively beaming at them, looking very pleased over something.
s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s
Misao began taking out half the food in the basket and handing it to Aoshi. Kenshin reached for a pear only to have his smacked away by Misao. “This is Aoshi's. You'll eat in a minute but first I want to see you earn it.”
He could only stare at her. Didn't he `earn' lunch already? What does she call this morning? “What do I have to do?” It was a bad idea asking, he knew it. He'd probably regret it but he was hungry! And that smile on Misao's face only made him more suspicious.
“I just want to see if you can get it yourself. I want you to try to fly to get it.” Was she serious? “Misao, I don't know how to fly. That's the point of me and Aoshi being here. So he can teach me and I can learn.” His stomach chose that time to make its own protest knownwith a loud growl. “He does have a point Misao. I haven't shown him how to take off or anything yet.” Misao's smile only widened. Evil, twisted person. “Maybe so, but no harm in seeing if he can, Aoshi. It won't kill him. Kenshin, you're going to try flying right now. Earn you're lunch.”
Aoshi didn't have to earn it. She's as bad as Kaoru. This is exactly like something she'd do to me. This was cruel and unusual punishment. His shoulders slumped in defeat. He could tell she was serious and wasn't going to give in. “Fine. You want me to fly. I'll fly.” He had a strong hunch this would hurt.
“Alright.” The basket lifted from Misao's hands and floated away to hover high over the middle of the lake. “Go get it.” What I am, a dog? I can't believe I'm doing this. He couldn't believe she was making him do this. And Aoshi was standing there, allowing Misao to boss him around! Shouldn't he stand up for his student or something? Somehow I don't think Misao would listen to him if he did or that Aoshi is gonna tell her off. He knew how to move his wings but how on earth would he take off? Or actually stay off the ground?
One way to find out. Rolling his shoulders, Kenshin faced the lake, looking like a man about to be sent to the gallows.
There was slight breeze. Hopefully that would help him. Wait. There wasn't a breeze just a moment ago. The breeze then picked up to a mild wind. He glanced at Misao and Aoshi. Misao tilted her head slightly and smiled at him. Kenshin suddenly knew where the wind came from. So she's not completely evil.
He turned back to face the lake and, with determination lighting his face, backed up a good distance and shot straight forward. He gained speed quickly.Fervently, Kenshin flapped his wings, trying to become airborne. He leaped every other step trying to catch the wind. He closed his eyes as he willed his wings to work. He was still grounded and, just before running into the water, jumped as high as he could and…..
….Didn't fall.
Kenshin felt the wind, courtesy of Misao, billow around him and opened his eyes. The water was just only ten feet below him and his wings, spread wide, felt frozen in place He was gliding. That actually worked? He vaguely heard Misao and Aoshi shouting at him but he didn't hear what either said.
The view of the opposite bank stopped growing and the wind around him seemed to slow just a little. It was then his mind registered he was no longer moving forward. He stared wildly around him before gaping at the water fast approaching him. Correction, he was approaching the water. Kenshin was falling. And falling fast. It was all he could do to cover his face with his arms before….
Splash!
...Crashing into the water.
The air wasknocked out of his lungs as he hit the water. He tumbled under the water and it seemed an eternity before he surfaced and could fill his lungs with air. After thrashing and sure he would stay afloat, Kenshin peered towards the shore. Just barely over twenty-five feet away. It felt like he had covered more distance than that. And that also meant his flying attempt was a complete flop.
It had all happened so fast he had to run it over in his head a few times to fully understand what had happened. I ran, I jumped, I think I glided and I fell. That's sounds about right. He didn't fly. Instead he got a face full of water and was now drenched. Great. I knew it wouldn't work and still I did it. I'm a flamin' genius. Cursing to himself, he swam back to shore.
Misao was roaring with laughter. Rolling on the ground with laughter. And Aoshi was laughing too, though he had the courtesy to not roll on the ground. At least Aoshi tried to stop laughing when Kenshin was wading towards shore. His boots squished as he sloshed back onto shore, swiping his clinging hair from his face. He had lost his hair tie when he fell in the water. Worse, he was completely soaked from head to toe and his clothes clung to him, dripping.
“You planned that didn't you?” His only response was more laughter and a few unintelligible words from Misao. Aoshi was too busy trying to compose himself. He grumbled under his breath as he wrung out his hair. I'd expect this from Kaoru not Misao. Did they switch bodies or something? Is that possible?
“You….You look…didn't you hear….We told you to flap your wings…..Oh you should have seen yourself…..you glided a little after your jump but….you just hovered and….fell into the waterthat splash was huge….I'm sorry …I'm sorry…Okay, okay you can eat your lunch now. That was worth it...You never even came close to the basket…..Oh that was hilarious.”
The basket floated back to them and Kenshin and snatched it out of the air, glaring at Misao and trying to wring out his clothes and hair all at the same time. She still shook laughter but was now trying to control it as she let the wind die. Aoshi was still grinning in amusement.
“Here, let me dry you off.” Aoshi was apparently trying to make up for allowing Kenshin his failed flight attempt. That or Aoshi just felt sorry for him. Before he could protest, or say much of anything else for that matter, Kenshin felt a warm sensation spread through him and found himself perfectly dry in a matter of seconds. He sat down, muttering a `thank you' to Aoshi and began eating his lunch. It's the least he could do in my opinion. I knew I wouldn't be able to just fly like that. I'm an idiot for trying. Misao still laughed occasionally.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
Sad attempt at humor. Did it work? Even a slight giggle? Ok so I suck at humor. Neh. That whole Kenshin attempting to fly but falling into the water scene thing was my lame little humor attempt in case ya'all are wondering what the heck I'm talking about.
Ok so, Kenshin began learning to fly just like I said before! Wahoo….n-n not much Kaoru in here though. Ok so there was no Kaoru in this chapter. (except for Kenshin's few mentionings of her but I don't think that counts) I hope to have her in the next chapter but I don't know. I don't always get everything I want in the chapters. I'm lazy. Which chapter am I on anyway? I keep forgetting - -` That's just sad. I'll go look. -goes to check story chapters while elevator music plays in the background-
Oh….ok so I'm on chapter 13. I knew that. Honest I did. -shifty eyes- that evil ten part 1 and 2 thing threw me off….I'm the one who did that. I should change that. Why did I do that? To make it look like I kept a promise when I didn't. I remember now. Oh well. I'm changing chapter numbers. Which means this will be chapter 14. Ok I got it now. Hopefully I won't get as confused. (I'm a regular Einstein. Can't ya tell? Lol I thought so `cause it's just so obvious….sarcasm in case you couldn't tell) You think I sound like an idiot now? You should see me at school….
ANYWAYS, moving on. I think a have fulfilled my duty in boring ya'all, some might even be asleep now, so I shall now…shut up. Yay……and as always, DON'T FORGET TO REVIEW! Reviews are good. Very good. I love them. They make me happy. n-n
You see the little GO button?
Ya see it?
Now…Press it.
Press the button.
You know you want to.
Preeesssssssss theeee buuuuttttttttooooooonnnnn.