Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Finding Your Place, Untitled ❯ The Rurouni’s Festival ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

 
Finding Your Place
 
Chapter 1: The Rurouni's Festival
 
@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@Two years after prolog@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@
 
Kenshin bolted straight up in bed, sweat drenching his red hair. *I heard a scream! I know that I did!* “Miss Kaoru!” Kenshin said worriedly and franticly ran to her room. “Miss Kaoru?!” He said again as he swung open her door. Finding Kaoru there and in health he sighed.
 
“Kenshin?” Kaoru asked sleepily rubbing her eyes. “What's wrong?” she yawned.
 
“Nothing Miss Kaoru. You should go back to sleep that you should.” Kaoru looked at him skeptically and yawned again, mumbling something as Kenshin quietly closed the door. *If it was not Miss Kaoru then who was it that screamed? I must have been dreaming that I must have. It just sounded so real.* Kenshin sighed again and went back to his own room, but still curious as to whether the scream was a dream . . . or real.
 
@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@
 
That morning Kenshin still had his dream imbedded in his mind. But it was a nice day. The trees had barely begun to shed their leaves which meant in only a few short days it would be the Rurouni's Festival or the Festival of Wonderers. It is for all traveling people, whether they are loners or bands, to come together for one fun filled week of games, contests, food, and shows.
 
“I hate this time of year.” Saito said mumbling to himself.
 
“Oh, how so?” Kenshin questioned.
 
“To much work to do with the festival and all. Too many people to deal with.” Saito answered.
 
“I really quiet enjoy it that I do.” Kenshin said with a smile.
 
“You've been too happy lately . . . more so then usual.” Saito inquired. “May I ask why?”
 
“I have not told you?!” Kenshin said excitedly. “I asked Miss Kaoru to marry me a couple of weeks ago.”
 
Saito rolled his eyes. “How she's going to put up with you, I'll never know.”
 
“Oro?”
 
@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@
 
“Hiko, I'm back. There was a letter that arrived at the Aoiya for you.” Ariannah said as she walked into the small house. Hiko gave her a questioning look. “What?”
 
“I told you not to go out without the children or me with you. You still have the bounty on your head you know.” Hiko said scolding the women.
 
“I don't need a chaperone Hiko! I can take care of myself!” Ariannah yelled back at the older man.
 
“Just as you took care of yourself from those men?!” Hiko said sounding disturbed at the thought of what they did to her.
 
“Hiko?” Ariannah said with obvious hurt. Hiko stood from his spot on the floor and walked over to Ariannah by the door. “I don't understand Hiko. You let me stay here and you protect me. And yet . . . you've never tired to touch me. If you don't want me for your own pleasure then why do you let me stay here? Why didn't you just turn me in and get your money?” A few months ago Ariannah ran away from a brothel. Hiko had saved her from some men that were after her for the bounty she had on her head.
 
Hiko looked straight into the 25 year olds blue-green eyes. “Ari I . . .” Hiko was cut off as Kenzie and Ryoshin came in and turned to them. “You're late.”
 
“After we left from our visit to momma we went and said hello to Aoshi-san.” Kenzie informed her master. “He said you had a letter but that Auntie Ari picked it up.”
 
“The letter! I almost forgot! Here Hiko.” Ariannah handed Master Hiko a cream colored paper with his name on the front.
 
*I know this hand writing.* Hiko thought as he carefully opened the letter.
 
To my Dear Sensei,
 
How are you? I am good that I am. Two years have passed since I last saw you and a lot have happened that it has. I am now engaged to Miss Kaoru and I would like you to be at our wedding that I would. I have already informed the Obiwabanshu and Aoshi said they'd be there. The wedding will be soon after the Rurouni's Festival. Please come.
 
Your pupil and son,
 
Himura (Shinta) Kenshin
 
*Even when he writes he talks like that.* Hiko thought and rolled his eyes.
 
“Ryo would like to know what it says, Sensei.” Kenzie said. Ryoshin has not spoken since their mother died, only whispers to Kenzie.
 
“Your uncle's getting married.” Hiko said casually
 
“Really? Can we go?!” Kenzie asked excited.
 
“Yes, hurry up and pack. Katsuhiko will be here in a bit.
 
@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@

“Papa! Papa Katsu wake up!” Kenzie yelled at her adopted father who was obviously having a bad dream.
 
“Huh, what? Kenzie, what are you doing up, Sweet Pea?” Katsu is only 12 years older then Kenzie, barely old enough to be their father. He was four years younger then Kentai. But none of that matters when you're in love. She was a young mother of 24 when she died. The night of her death, Kentai was there to tell her `adopted' father Master Hiko that she and Katsu were going to be married. After her death where else would the children have gone, but to their `adopted' father.
 
“Ryo heard you having a bad dream and woke me to wake you.” Ryoshin has not spoken much to anyone but Kenzie in the past 2 years. “Were . . . were you dreaming of momma again?” Kenzie asked as tears began to form in the young man's eyes. “Please don't cry Papa Katsu. You'll make me cry.”
 
“I'll be alright, Sweet Pea. Now go back to bed. We'll have to get up early tomorrow if we want to make it to Tokyo before dusk. The day after tomorrow is the first day of the Rurouni's Festival and we don't want to be late for that now do we?” Kenzie shook her head no and they both went back to sleep.
 
@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@
 
Kenshin sat warily on the porch watching the sun set. “Kenshin?” Kaoru said as she walked out on the porch to check on her soon to be husband. “I'm sure he'll come.” Kaoru said assuring as Kenshin continued to stare at the gate to the dojo.
 
“I'm not so sure. Sensei's never been one for gatherings that he hasn't.”
 
Kaoru sat down next to Kenshin. “I'm sure because, because you are like family to him as he is to you. And even though you're his `Baka Denchi' I'm sure he'll come.” Kenshin sighed and looked at Kaoru who gave him a warm smile. Just then the gate to the dojo creaked open. It had gotten quite dark all of the sudden so they couldn't tell who it was. All they heard was the sound of pawing horse hoofs.
 
Kenshin stood up and put a hand and his sword hilt. “Who's there?” He demanded.
 
“B-baka d-denchi.” A small boy's voice came.