Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ I Just Don't Understand ❯ The Understanding of Confusion ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Rurouni Kenshin and I probably never will!!
 
Yarisha: Hopefully a cute One-shot fanfic on Kenshin! But if it's not I understand… Oh FYI! Angst-city near the end.
 
Yasuo: This'll be full of a couple of flashbacks and character memories! Kenshin begins to understand what happened with those people killed so long ago. Oh Battousai! You poor soul!!
 
Kenshin: Oro?
 
Sano and Yarisha: Maybe we can even find out what `oro' supposedly means. (? For Sano)
 
Yasuo and Kenshin: We doubt it (Kenshin: oro?)
 
Sano: Now on to Yarisha's story! Kaoru isn't mentioned at all FYI! Tomoe (?) is though, but only a little! Along with Yahiko and me. To make it clearer Kaoru never lived!!!
 
Yarisha: On with the fanfic! Enjoy and Review! R&R!!!!
 
_*~_*~_*~_*~ = Story
 
~*~*~*~*~ = Different scene
 
Italic = Thoughts
 
~Flashbacks~
 
Bold Italics = Anything I want it to be!!
 
A.N = Author's Note
 
_*~_*~_*~_*~_*~_*~_*~_*~_*~_*~_*~_*~_*~_*~_*~_*~_*~_*~_*~_
 
 
Makiyu's POV
 
“Kenshin!!!!!!!! KENSHIN WHERE ARE YOU HIDING YOU HAVE MORNING CHORES TO DO!!!” Makiyu raced across the temple grounds into the dojo and straight into…. Sano. “Hey kid! Watch where you're going!!!” “Shut up, fish-face! Where's Kenshin!?” “Err, bathing? Living? AH!! Okay! He's training with Yahiko!!” He falls against the ground as Makiyu pushes him aside. Kenshin if you're not with Yahiko I'm telling Hiko! And you'll be in so much trouble and AH!
 
She ran straight into a young man passing by. He was wearing a black cop suit and had a sword hanging at his side. He didn't look much older than her at all! She blushed deeply.
 
“Gomen, sir! I was in a hurry to find my brother and- and…” “It's okay. You were obviously in hurry. You try not running into anyone else. By the way my name is Takei. Ryu Takei.” Makiyu is still slightly blushing as she bows. “Himura. Makiyu Himura.” “What a lovely name for such a lovely girl. Good bye, Miss Himura.” He walks away leaving Makiyu in a daze. In fact if you passes by you could probably slap her without her even flinching.
 
She finally recovers and starts running to the forest again. But yet again she bumps into a person. She yelps! It's her boss from the shop she works at. (A.N: She's 16 and she's just now getting into boys lol! Plus she got a job at 14 to help Kenshin with the dojo all of them are stay at.) “Makiyu! Watch where you're going young lady or you could be out of a job soon!” “Gomen!! Gomen!!! Can you ever forgive me, Asuka-sama???”
 
She glares evilly at Makiyu as the young man from earlier walks up to them. “Excuse me, ma'am. Miss Himura is just in a hurry to find her brother. She just isn't watching where she is going.” He smiles charmingly, and well… Ms. Asuka goes a lushly lovely! “Oh I see! Well in that case, it's okay! Buh bye, Makiyu!” Makiyu watches the older woman walking off happily as she sweat drops. I hope I don't get like that when I'm older! Makiyu looks to Ryu and she tries really hard not to blush.
 
“Um, thank you! Mr. Ryu!” Darn that sounded stupid!!! “It's okay. And you don't need to call me that. Just call me Ryu. Good-bye again, Miss Makiyu. I hope you find your brother! And remember don't run into anyone else!” <Makiyu's dream world>
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
“Oh thank you, Ryu!”
 
“It was no problem. I was just helping a beautiful woman in need!”
 
“Aw! * Giggle*”
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
<Reality>
 
“Makiyu, what are you doing here?” Yahiko runs up to her with Kenshin not far behind. Makiyu blinks and comes back to reality fast enough to side step a hug-happy Yahiko. “Standing obviously!!” “I wasn't being sarcastic, I really want to know what you're doing here…blushing.” “Nothing! Um, Kenshin… KENSHIN!!! WHAT WERE YOU DOING DURING MORNING CHORES TODAY???” “Training with Yahiko?”
“Agh!”
 
 
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Kenshin's POV
 
(A.N: This is over a week later!) It's been so long since I have fought with a new foe, but this one will fall like all the others. No one can weld the sword of injustice without losing a couple of limbs during the time it is wielded! (A.N: Weird huh? Thought I'd do something corny!) I will destroy this young man!! “You cannot win you understand that, correct?”
 
 
“You're such a naïve child, Takei Ryu.” Kenshin slowly unsheathes his sword and steps back a bit. “Really? I didn't count you as the straightforward type, Mr. Himura. Now… PERPARE TO DIE!!”
 
 
“No!!! Please stop this!” My younger sister runs in and surprises me with tears of sadness and pain. She didn't want us to fight. I understood that, but… he was trying to kill Makiyu, Yahiko, and Sano because of the legendary Battousai. I can't believe I forgot I killed his family when he was a boy. It would explain the fact that he's after me. I must kill him! As though on cue the naïve boy attacks.
 
 
“DIE, BATTOUSAI!!!!!” He yells furiously aiming at my heart. I hear Makiyu scream in the back round as my sword breaks through the barrier of human skin and straight into the young one's heart. His sword cuts my shirt slightly as I move aside.
 
 
I watch in secret pain as the boy silently screams as Lady Death calls him. The pain must've washed over him and than passed on quickly. His blood drips from my sword and onto my hand. I pull it out slowly trying not to cause him more pain in his death. He chokes slightly as his mind and soul slips away, and he coughs up blood onto the remainder of my clothing.
 
 
His last words are coughed up with the remainder of his blood. “You fool…we are both killing for the same cause…we are one in the same, you and I…” He drops and dies there in his own pool of blood. My eyes widen as realization hits me. He was correct! We were both fighting to protect our loved ones.
 
I killed him…I'm ten times worse than he'll ever be. I'm such an idiot! Why didn't I see it! But when I was Battousai I… “Kenshin it's me, Battousai. I also fought to protect loved ones. Remember Tomoe and Kouji (A.N: Just wanna point out. BIG FORE SHADOWING! Okay I'm done.) …and let's not forget when Makiyu was born. I killed so many people who were fighting just like me. And they fought for all the reasons I did, except that I fought for the Imperialists.” Battousai I don't understand this. “Makiyu!” I run over to her and hug her. “I'm so sorry. Forgive me.” The look in her eyes were so distant, it was a though she was losing her self in shock but she quickly responded to the hug and cried against my shoulder. “I'm so sorry…” I whisper gently into her ear.
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Yahiko's POV
 
I run into the dojo's practice room to find Kenshin kneeling next to Makiyu's futon fixing the wet cloth on her forehead. I watch from the sliding door as he begins to speak to himself and than to the air itself. Sano enters with a dozen rice balls on a tray and hands them to Kenshin. He glances over at me, and smiles, but quickly sends his attention back to Kenshin.
 
I didn't quite hear what he said to Kenshin, but Kenshin answered back in a sad tone that I had never heard before. “I was so stupid not to realize it, Sanosuke. I should have seen that we were fighting for the same reasons. In fact I should have realized that 10 years ago!! I'm such an idiot!” Sano wasn't even fazed, but I flinched sharply. Sano smiled slightly and chuckled.
 
“You may be a moron, but you're not an idiot. An idiot can't wield a sword, plus you take care of all of us and feed us. So you can't be that stupid.” Kenshin blinks for a minute, then he and Sano begin to laugh. As I walk back outside and close the sliding door I suddenly remember when those two first battled. The time they actually meet on the fighting ground and really saw each other.
 
~~~~~~Flashback~~~~~~~
 
Kenshin, Makiyu, Yahiko, and Dr Genzi and his granddaughters were all sitting in a small room. Makiyu and Yahiko were reading a book while Kenshin was drinking green tea and Dr.Genzi was sleeping with his granddaughters. They wake up as Kenshin moves suddenly. Kenshin somewhat sensed Sanosuke's arrival and grabbed his sword as he stood up. Makiyu, Yahiko, and Dr Genzi look up at him as he speaks lightly.
 
 
“I believe we have a visitor.” He turns and walks out followed closely by Makiyu and Yahiko. Makiyu catches up first. “Hold on, Kenshin. Is anything wrong?” “I felt a presence, that I did.” Both Makiyu and Yahiko look mildly surprised and speak in unison. “Huh?” Kenshin keeps walking forward explaining at the same time. “Someone very straight forward, without shame with a strong will to fight.” He opens the sliding door, revealing Sanosuke. “I have come to fight with you!” Makiyu looks on from the sliding door. “Hey! It's that guy from before!” Yahiko looks surprised but also unfazed. “The guy with the flick to the forehead.”
 
 
Kenshin steps forward and speaks in his lightest tone. “We meet again I see. I thought I already explained I had no interest in fighting you.” Sanosuke protest as he steps forward. “But I can't except that. This afternoon was just for fun, but this time I've come as a fighter for hire. So there's no backing down. And something else that interests me. My opponent is Battousai the Manslayer, Kenshin Himura.”
 
 
Makiyu looks shocked as Sanosuke says those words. “Huh!? But-…but how did you know?” Yahiko's mouth is agape as he stares in awe of the scene before him. Sano begins to walk away toward the dojo's side yard, saying all he knows about Kenshin. “Imperialist swordsman of the Choshu faction. Himura, Kenshin also know as Battousai the Manslayer. Heir to the ancient Hiten Mitsurugi style of swordsmanship.”
 
 
Kenshin stays calm and shows no surprise in having so much of him known by this strange man. He follows Sano, close behind, with Makiyu and Yahiko also following. “You've done you're homework well, that you have. I wonder if that is part of your job as a fighter-for-hire.” Sano turns around to look at Kenshin, his oversized wrapped sword against his shoulder. Kenshin stops a few feet away from Sano, and close behind Makiyu and Yahiko have caught up and stopped.
 
 
“Humph. You don't need research to know that much. But there are many things I don't know. What kind of sword style the Hiten Mitsurugi style is for example. And the reason the merciless manslayer became a wanderer who will not kill. I have no clue about that. I don't know the answers to these things. And that's why I'm here. As king for a straight duel with no strings.”
 
 
Kenshin looks unfazed by Sanosuke's grin. He stays calm and doesn't answer just yet. Makiyu and Yahiko watch silently also waiting for Kenshin's answer. The man that hired Sanosuke watches from behind a fence as Kenshin finally answer. “I also don't know about you,” Sanosuke looks surprised by Kenshin's remark. “Huh?” Kenshin notices the surprise in Sanosuke's face and explains somewhat. “I can't seem to figure out why a man like you, who hates abusing the weak, would be a fighter-for-hire. You wear the symbol for bad. Few would wear it proudly, yet you do. What could have twisted your logic so much, I wonder.”
 
 
Sanosuke is absolutely stunned by the statements just said by Kenshin. “What did you say? Never mind. Sappy stories are meant to be told before fights. Right now I'm thinking of one thing only. To defeat the legendary manslayer… The man who's
said to be the strongest of the imperialist!” He slams his oversized sword down. “I will defeat you with everything I am!!” The wind begins to pick up around them. Each one of them waiting for the other to say or do something. The greens leaves of the tree near the dojo are being scattered. He finally remembers to introduce himself. Shortly after he starts, he begins to tear away the cloth wrapping his oversized sword.
 
 
“Oh yeah. I haven't introduced myself yet, have I? My name is Sanosuke Sagara. In the underworld I am known as Zanza!” Yahiko looks super surprised as Zanza's sword in unveiled. Makiyu also looks surprised and slightly worried. “What's that??” Kenshin stays calm though, and also silent. Zanza sets his sword at shoulder's height on its side. “It's a little nickname I picked up, from my Zanbatou!” Yahiko seems to have passed his shock and is ready to ask questions again. “Zanbatou? What the heck is that thing??” Makiyu is back to normal also and quickly answers Yahiko's question. (A.N: She's only two years older than Yahiko. At this point Yahiko was 10 and she was 12.)
 
 
Yahiko looks at Makiyu as she begins to answer. “It was the largest sword ever created long ago, in order to slay the enemy horse and all in one swoop. But it's been said that nobody has ever fully mastered it due to its sheer size and weight.” Sanosuke now sets the sword upright, taking a step forward to balance himself. The wind finally stops, and silence fills the air. Sanosuke is the first to speak. He laughs slightly. “I suggest you get out of the no-kill mumbojumbo philosophy right now Mr. Swordsman. Or otherwise…” Sanosuke pauses dramatically but Kenshin stays calm and silent, not moving. Sanosuke rushes forward at Kenshin. “You're gonna die!”
 
Makiyu and Yahiko are yet again standing in awe at Sanosuke speed. Makiyu only has a tinge of surprise in her expression. “He's so fast, even with such a heavy weapon.” Sanosuke leaps into the air, his sword slight tilted backward in its position above his right shoulder. Kenshin is at a half turn waiting for Sanosuke's attack to hit. Sanosuke swings the sword at Kenshin as he begins to lose air. It hits the ground where Kenshin was standing. But Kenshin had jump into the air before the sword hit him.
 
 
He begins to lose air too; his left hand is resting on his sword as he prepares to land. His eyes are on Sanosuke's movements. “Augh!” Sanosuke catches his descent and quickly pulls his sword up and over to the side to swing at Kenshin again. Kenshin dodges and lands on a tree branch. Sanosuke misses again and his sword hits the ground as Kenshin jumps back to land back on the ground. Kenshin lands. His expression is still calm, Makiyu and Yahiko are on the sidelines, mouths agape, as they watch the battle in awe. They reply in unison. “Ah!” The man hiding behind the fence is also watching in awe.
 
 
Sanosuke and Kenshin have switch spots. Sanosuke seems to be getting annoyed quickly. “I've seen enough of your moves now! So let's do it! This time you will not escape. Draw your weapon!” Kenshin expression is emotionless as he grabs his sword's sheath with his left hand. Makiyu and Yahiko let out a small gasp, and Sanosuke readies his sword by swinging it above his head.
 
 
The man from before still looking on in awe. Sanosuke now turns the sword above his head so that it points at Kenshin. Kenshin doesn't move, again his face is calm and emotionless. Sanosuke seems to be waiting for a signal to go as he waits. Kenshin finally reaches out to grab his sword but stops short as Suzume and Ayame call out his name.
 
 
“Kenshin!” Ayame calls out. Suzume finishes her sentence. “Where are you?” Kenshin hand moves away from the hilt of his sword as his eyes move toward the dojo. “Huh?” “Hey, Uncle Ken, what ya doin'?” They both stop at the outside hall and turn toward the scene of Kenshin and Sanosuke. “You kids shouldn't be out here!”
 
 
Dr. Genzi, now behind his granddaughters, watches as Makiyu and Yahiko run toward them. Sanosuke begins to put down his sword. He smiles toward the sight of the girls and Dr Genzi, along with Makiyu and Yahiko. “It's my personal belief that real fights don't need to involve woman or children in anyway.” He turns away and sets his sword on his shoulder again. He takes a step away as Kenshin begins to speak. “Anyway there seems to be some sort of an evil presence (?) hanging about the place.”
 
 
Sanosuke turns his head and looks slightly puzzled. “Huh?”
The tree branch Kenshin used earlier to land on begins to look as though it was sliced. It begins to fall, and the man from before looks up to watch it fall on himself, fear and shock written upon his features. It crushes him as it lands on him and knocks him out. Yahiko, Makiyu, Dr. Genzi, Suzume, and Ayame all gaze over at where the tree branch fell. Yahiko is the first to ask the question. “What happen?”
 
 
“Seems like someone was out there.” Makiyu answers his inquiry. Something similar to humor appears on Sanosuke's features. “You really are the Battousai. But please remember what I say to you. I, Zanza the fighter-for-hire, never let my mark escape. I will be back for you.” He turns to Kenshin and then walks away again.
 
 
As Sanosuke begins to walk away from him once again Kenshin begins to talk to himself. “Zanza, huh? I wish I knew why you seem to hate Imperialist so much.” He watches Sanosuke's receding figure, the character for bad clearly observable on the backside of his shirt, and his sword yet again positioned on his shoulder.
 
 
“It appears that I will have no choice but to fight you one day, that it does.”
 
 
Although he doesn't want to Kenshin finally accepts the challenge. He finds himself faced with a swordfight by the river. In the end he wins, and regrettably Sanosuke ends up black-and-blue, beat-up, and busted. Even though he is not hurt bad he still gets his wounds treated by Dr. Genzi. Afterward they meet up again at the Akebaku (Sp?) where they all first meet.
 
 
And that is where Kenshin gains Sanosuke as a comrade. Sanosuke says that he wants to tag along with Kenshin, because Kenshin isn't really like those dirty imperialists pigs in the government, which Sanosuke hates.
 
 
~End Flashback~
 
Yahiko's POV
 
 
 
I smirk as I consider that battle. Well, really it was `those' battles. I gaze up at the heavens as I reflect upon the battle. At first Sano didn't want anything to do with an imperialist `pig', as he called them. But afterward he figured out that not every imperialist is the same. And now instead of being harsh enemies, he and Kenshin are buddies.
 
It seems so extraordinary to me how people can just unexpectedly change like that. But it's true. Take Ryu Takei for instance. Makiyu first met Takei and thought he was magnificent, as she put it, but soon after he proved to be a real horrific man, who sought after nothing more than to annihilate Kenshin for something that happened long ago.
 
 
It would most likely aid Kenshin to have Sano lend a hand on this subject. Sano has constantly been a first-class dilemma solver. I'm sure that whatever is going on with Kenshin can easily be forgotten with Sano around. This will only last about five more days I bet!
 
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
 
Kenshin's POV
 
 
 
It's been three weeks since the battle with Ryu and I'm still having difficulty resting at hours of darkness. I killed so many people back when I was a Battousai. When I was small, and called Shinta three women took care of me. I'll never forget them. Their names were Kasumi, Sakura, and Akane. They were part of my beginning as a Battousai. As a slayer of man, and as a killer of people. Our traveling group was attack by swordsman and gunman who were ruthless and killed all in their path.
 
 
We just happened to be one of the many innocent people in their way. They burnt down most of the housing in the camp and than did the same with our housing when they reached it. I was rushed outside of the house in hurry as the first part of the fire licked at the outer wall. We only got about 13 feet away before the swordsman of the group caught up with us.
 
 
The leader of the group came up to us and the three sisters who raised me. He drew his sword from its sheath. The sisters began to hug and cover me not letting me see as the man killed one of the men trying to protect us. I heard screaming from beneath my covering. My eyes widen as I hear those horrifying shrieks and the sound of blade striking bone and cutting through flesh.
 
 
At one point the woman hugging me moved her arm in tiredness and gave me a view of the battlefield. Bodies littered the floor that was covered in blood. One of the last samurais trying to shield us was sliced through with ease. I watched in horror and his blood sprang across the air. Only some splashed onto the man who had killed him.
My eyes widen to their limits as the man fell to the ground beneath his feet. I watched his death and heard the laugh of the man who had committed it. My rage began to build, slowly eating away at my fear. I watched as the leader of the group moved again headed for us and slayed the first of my surrogate mothers. The sister hugging me blocked my view again as she hugged me tight against her chest.
 
 
I closed my eyes tightly and tried to block out the scream coming from just above me. It quickly stopped though, and just afterward I heard the thud of the body hitting the hard clay ground. The last two sisters were using them selves as shields to protect me. They were both pleading for me to be unharmed, tears spilling from their eyes as the men and their leader neared us.
 
 
They were only about 5 feet away; it was the perfect distant for a critical blow. The leader took out another one of my surrogate mothers. My eyes snaps open as she began to scream. My eyes quickly darted over to her face, which was just a foot away from mine. Her eyes were beginning to glaze over, but she saw me looking at her so she bit back her scream. The other woman hugged me even more as the other ones grasp failed and fell away.
 
 
The dying woman gave me a small smile as she was hit again. She fell to the side, an x painted across her back in her own blood. My rage broke through my fear as if it was nothing; it was starting to take over my mind. My view now only blocked slightly by the hair of my remaining surrogate mother, I see clearly as the man stops, now only about 3 feet away. He finally speaks.
 
 
“You'd think this slavery traveling group would have better security than just those rotten warriors with false swords. And to top it off, we've got three women, well one now, protecting one of the children!” My sister's (A.N: No. It's not his sister. You know what I mean.) eyes begin to shine with tears again. Her voice soft and hushed, trembling and shaking with fear of the man before us.
 
 
She looks up at him with pleading eyes. “Please…please don't hurt the child. He is just a boy. He has done nothing to you!” The man laughs loudly, making her tremble and grip me even tighter. “Fool.” He says to us as he raises his sword to strike once more. She again uses her body as a shield, and leans over me. Blocking my vision completely and destroying all light.
 
 
He strikes her back and she flinches sharply. Her body retracting and recoiling in pain. She smiles at me and hugs me. “Shinta… Don't let them kill you… You must go on living.” Her eyes begin to lose their lively color. Their beautiful sky-blue and emerald green coloring, which signify her life. I stare up into her eyes, my heart skipping several beats as I listen to her slowing breath. I wanted to cry, I wanted to die, and I wanted my life to end at that moment. I watch as her body buckles under her pressuring wounds. She moves her body so that it falls to the side.
 
 
Her last word, or rather her last breath is only one word. “Ken…shin…” My breath is caught in my throat as her eyes darken and her breathing stops. As I stood there, wanting to cry tears that would never come, my anger takes over. My golden eyes taking themselves and turning themselves into golden orbs of fire.
 
 
I did not take notice in the man walking up to me. It was not until he grabbed me did I realize that he was there. From nowhere came a man wearing a mantle. He attacked the man holding me, setting me free, and leaving him to fall, unconscious. The fighter attacks the other men also, leaving the ground covered in several new bodies. As he turns to me he says only four words, while looking over my surrogate family.
 
 
“Do what you must.” My heart clenches as he says that. But I obey and walk over to the last sister who died and I kneel next to her. I gently touch her hand, wishing for at least a faint pulse. I feel nothing, no pulse, just the coldness of her lifeless hand. I wish to cry again, but no tears drop from my pained golden eyes.
 
 
I finally move away and begin to dig with my small and pale hands. As the last of the graves are dug, I turn again to her body. As I place it in it's grave it seems to thank me. I do the same with the rest of the bodies. My eyes shine brighter with unshed tears as I place dirt atop the graves. As I finish I place crosses at the head of each grave and pray. And last… I use large rocks to mark those of my surrogate mothers.
 
 
The man comes behind me, he is known as Hiku or so he said. Hiku stares at their graves and then to me. His next action surprised me.
 
 
I ignore the rest of the memories flooding into my mind. After that I was fueled by rage, anger, and self-loathing because I had let my family die in cold blood by a man who was weak compared to a hamster. With those emotions I trained under Hiku, who soon changed my name to Kenshin.
 
 
After 5 years of training and studying the Hiten Mitsurugi Style I left Hiku to find a more suitable career. At the age of 14 in 1863 I join the Choshuhan as a Shadow Killer. After that the emotions used my new job and broken mind to create a safety barrier.
 
That barrier was… Battousai. Hitokiri Battousai was my title, but the real Battousai was a safety trigger for whenever anything got out of control, especially out of battle. I shake my head trying to make the memories of that year fly away. It seems so strange that I, now a wanderer, would be worried about things long ago.
 
 
I remember when I killed Kiyosato Akira; he was protecting his marriage to Tomoe. I ended up killing him and gaining Tomoe as my wife. I gained the first stroke of my scar during that battle and after ward a foolish man came and attack Tomoe. In my mettle and determination to rescue her I foolishly did not notice my mistake.
 
 
My enemy tricked me into killing her even though I was protecting her… I shake myself mentally and head for the training hall. I push away the sliding door to find Yahiko practicing his sword strokes. Perhaps there is hope that I will not befall the same fate again.
 
 
But the latter conclusion is that even though I've already been through this, fate will repeat itself and my density will override my hopes. I will end up killing more people to protect my loved ones. And in the end I shall befall the same fate as all those who protected their loved ones and died at my hands. I cannot escape that fact…
 
 
Yahiko finally notices me and calls out. “Hey Kenshin! Um… I don't know how to put this but I kind of understand your problem. Don't sweat it though! My mother always told me that killing someone to protect loved ones is always right no matter what the circumstances. Maybe I'm naïve in thinking that I completely understand your problem, but hopefully my small amount of wisdom can help. I don't know if my parents found happiness in death, but I do hope happiness finds you in both life and death. Night, Kenshin!”
 
 
I blink in mock surprise as he walks off into the entrance hall. Since when has Yahiko ever be known to give his wisdom to others? I begin to laugh loudly and shake my head as I realize he is becoming more mature.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Kenshin's POV
 
One year later…
 
 
My eyes snap open as the cool breeze of the night greatly washes my face. My cold, ruthless gold eyes darted this way and that, carefully listening for any noise. I've been having these dreams recently about my Battousai times. They always leave me restless… My eyes fade into a gentle violet as I listen to the mumble snores of Sano in the room next to mine. I sit up silently and stand. I move slowly across the room, trying not to make a sound. As I slide open the door to my room the sound of footsteps reach my ears. As I blink my eyes receive their golden tint again. My whole body is alert to the fact that someone's moving around in the dojo.
 
 
I quickly abandon my silence, and dart towards Sano's door. I quickly open it and get in the room, as the strangers footsteps grow louder. I hear him coming down the main hall, as I lock the sliding door. I rush over to Sano's bed and kneel next to it. I watch for a moment as Sano sleeps soundlessly, his breathing even and soft. I laugh lightly and begin to wake him. “Ohm… 5 more minutes.” I giggle even more now. I begin to shake him at the shoulders. His brown eyes begin to open slightly. He looks at me and says, “It's to early. Leavemealone!” I giggle again at his sluggish talk. It kind of makes you wonder if he can sleep through a storm.
 
 
Maybe even through an attack… I dismiss the thought from my mind and lean down towards Sano's ear. I slow my breathing so he does not hear it. I breathe into his ear something about Miss Megumi. His eyes immediately shoot open and he sits up quickly, making me move and fall backward. OW! He could at least twitch before he sits up like that with me hovering over him. Grrr! He looks over to where I have fallen and glares daggers at me. “Two things. First, why wake me? Second, WHY THE FREAK ARE YOU IN MY ROOM!?” I suppress (Sp?) a little giggle at his drunk-like yelling. In fact, I wouldn't put it past him to actually be drunk.
 
 
For all I know he could have went out last night with some friends and well you get the rest. My eyes flash dangerously to their golden form again. Sano immediately knew something is wrong and shut his mouth. “I'm here because someone else is.” I say in a lower more strained and unnaturally dark voice. My voice even made the room shudder in fear. “Someone else? The only people in this dojo are you, Yahiko, Makiyu, and I. I seriously doubt anyone would want to break into this run down place.” He says half afraid and half mockingly at me. My icy gold glare shuts him up as he realizes his mistake in saying our dojo was run down.
 
 
Humph! If it's so run down why do you stay here!? Freeloader… I stand up and head for his sliding door. As I reach it, I put my left ear to the door. I listen closely for any odd sounds. I hear nothing, not even a snore. Hmm maybe…- I'm pulled out of my thoughts by a blood-curdling scream coming from one of the rooms in the dojo. I look at Sano; my eyes softening and fading gently back into their violet coloring but never losing the tint of gold. Our minds were racing with possibilities, trying to pinpoint the scream's owner. At the same time, we hit realization and our eyes widen. I threw open the sliding door and he threw off his covers and ran behind me.
 
As we ran down the hall as a red and white blur we both screamed at the top of our lungs in unison. “MAKIYU!!!!” I unsheathed my katana, or rather my reversed katana, and skidded to halt in front of Makiyu's already skewed door. Sano stops behind me scanning the room. My eyes already found the invaders escape route. My sword clicks slightly as I re-sheath it. “Sanosuke, this way.” I say it calmly, but he knows that tonight someone was going to die. As I begin to walk out through a large hole in the outer wall he follows silently. The cold chilling December wind blows against our bodies as if protesting against our every moment.
 
 
I scan the area surrounding me on three sides, looking for any moment on the crystallized land. The fog made it harder to see. Sano hesitantly takes a step forward, only to be stopped by a ninja knife. “Rooster Head! Take another step and you'll die!” I blink as I look straight ahead and in the distant I finally see a figure standing in the fog holding something. I dare not guess what it was in fear of thinking of something disgusting. I unsheathed my sword as a cold chill slid up my spine. Something horrible is going to happen here. And it will not be this man who suffers… I've got a bad feeling about this…
 
 
The `ninja' laughs at us, and Sano's brown eyes turn into dark red flames. “ARE YOU MOCKING US!? As I recall we're not the freak weaklings who stole a child from her own room and forced her brother to run after her!” The ninja walks forward into the light of the dojo, grinning like crazy, holding his `captured treasure' up. “What? This girl? I'm sorry I must have mistaken her for the Battousai's little sister. Don't worry though. I'll put her back where I found her.” As I stare directly into his eyes I noticed something. That both of his eyes are different colors… One is a beautiful light orange while the other is… I gasp as he takes a step closer to the dojo his black eye catching the light and shining while unseen color.
 
(A.N: Last minute choice. WARNING! In a few paragraphs later on there will be double character death. You have the right to leave. Song: Cold by Crossfade.)
~ Looking back at me I see
That I never really got it right
I never stopped to think of you
I'm always wrapped up in
Things I cannot win
You are the antidote that gets me by
Something strong
Like a drug that gets me High ~
 
He runs forward at us and strikes Sano with an unseen force making his attack stronger. As I jump back my eyes widen as I watch Sano's blood spray from his body's first wound in years. I snarl unhappily as Sano kneels forward hugging himself, as if that blow really did I lot of damage. I hissed loudly at him, “SANOSUKE GET UP! HE'S GOING TO ATTACK AGAIN! THAT BLOW WAS NO STRONGER THAN A PAPER CUT! GET UP!!!” (A.N: Yes I realize that was very Battousai-ish, but you must realize that Kenshin is in a tricky circumstance… What will he do? What will happen?) He looks up at me with pleading eyes as I land again. My violet eyes threaten to become those horrible cold, golden orbs… so uncaring and ruthless.
 
~ What I really meant to say
Is I'm sorry for the way I am
I never meant to be so cold
Never meant to be so cold
What I really meant to say
Is I'm sorry for the way I am
I never meant to be so cold
Never meant to be so cold to you ~
 
 
He coughs up a bit of blood, and smiles at me. I blink rapidly at him as the other man begins to rush at him again. My eyes dart from him back to the man. Oh shit! That blockhead is going to sacrifice himself to make my Battousai side come out! YOU IDIOT!!! You can't do this to me. To all of us. Please tell me I'm just jumping to conclusions!!! OH GOD! The ninja had already begun to slice at Sanosuke's body. Every would left Sano in screaming pain. At least I know I'm helping Kenshin by doing this. If his victory means that I have to die… than so be it. He thought to himself, making his will as strong as steel. “Please… Let this be the right choice.” He whispered to the gods above.
 
~ I'm sorry `bout all the lies
Maybe in a different light
You could see stand on my own again
Cause now I can see
You were the antidote that got me by
Something strong
Like a drug that got me High~
 
 
“NO!!!! SANOSUKE, YOU IDIOT!! STOP!” I screamed wildly, my voice straining to stay strong as my sadness became over whelming. You can't do this. Makiyu and Yahiko need you! I need you! There's nothing wrong with that. You're like a younger brother to me! I need you here. You can't die on me. Not now, not when everything was becoming calm. Sano… I'm sorry. My eyes widen to their limits as the ninja pushed his sword straight into Sanosuke's heart, killing him with a wound so fatal, there would be no hope of saving him. He fell forward, and the ninja released Makiyu from his grip. She fell stumbling to Sanosuke's side. “Sano? Rooster? Oh Sano…” She was soon shedding hot, sad tears from her beautiful red eyes, and her brown bangs were sticking to her face from the wetness.
 
~ What I really meant to say
Is I'm sorry for the way I am
I never meant to be so cold
Never meant to be so cold
What I really meant to say
Is I'm sorry for the way I am
I never meant to be so cold
Never meant to be so cold
 
Never meant to be so cold
: Music Break: ~
 
 
I begin to run towards him and as I near my two `family members' the ninja jumps back. “That'll give you a clue to what I am capable of, Battousai.” He spat out the last word harshly, knowing that I hated it and that I wished to no longer be attached to it. As I fell to my knees on the other side of Sano I was breathing harshly. It felt as if every second more air was finding its way out of me and that I couldn't get any in. My eyes scanned Sano's back, wishing I could so something. My eyes landed on the character on Sano's back. Bad… Should you really be dying at the hands of this ninja? Should I really be fighting again? Is it a bad choice to kill him? His voice found it's way into my thoughts. -I don't know the answers to these things. That`s why I'm here. Asking for a straight duel with no stings… I will defeat you with everything I am! - Our first two battles flash across my mind.
 
 
I run my hand through his hair, remembering all of my memories of him and the gang. His stupid jokes… My hands slid over his bandana and stopped. Makiyu put her hand on mine. I looked up at her and she sadly smiled. We both began to untie it from his head. As we finished taking it off, Makiyu took it and began to cry fresh tears. She brought it to her face and rubbed her cheek against it, then brought it to her soft lips and kissed it. She was holding it like a lifeline. My eyes began to flash from violet to gold and back and forth. I laid my left hand on the top of the character on his back, and my right hand near the bottom of the character. My own tears began to roll down my face and onto my lap as I stared at it. I leaned forward and laid my head on his back. I cried out my soul in that position for a time that seemed to be forever. My face was buried so deep that ever Makiyu could not hear my muffled sobs.
 
~ I never really want you to see
The screwed up side of me that I keep
Locked inside of me so deep
It always seems to get to me
I never really wanted you to go
So many things you should have known
I guess for me there's just no hope
I never meant to be so cold…
 
What I really meant to say
Is I'm sorry for the way I am
I never meant to be so cold
Never meant to be so cold
What I really meant to say
Is I'm sorry for the way I am
I never meant to be so cold
Never meant to be so cold~
 
 
I could hear the ninja laughing somewhere to my left. I finally calm down and sit up. My face was impassive as I turned toward my friend's killer. At that moment I swore vengeance. This man would not leave here unharmed or unscarred. He was going to pay. My violet eyes lost their battle to my golden orbs. My soul lost against my self-defense. I was no longer the nice rurouni swordsman they had come to know. I was now… the undefeated Hitokiri Battousai. I would stop at nothing for vengeance. It is time…
 
(A.N: I'm just killing this fic with songs. Well this part is the ending and it is pretty deep. So here's Dare you to move by Switchfoot!)
 
~ Welcome to the planet
Welcome to existence
Everyone's here
Everyone's here
Everybody's watching you now
Everybody waits for you now
What happens next?
What happens next?
I dare you to move!
I dare you to move! ~
 
The ninja looks at me for a second. As if he was analyzing me to make sure I was a good enough fighter. His eyes finally reach mine. His eyes flash with surprise as he steps back and curses, speaking to himself about golden rudeness. I fight the urge to laugh at him. I move in my position to where I'm sitting on the ground in front of him. He blinks and then finally works up the courage again to yell at me. “Aren't you going to get up!? I just killed your friend! I demand a fight!!” I remain impassive and silent as I stare at him. Makiyu, at my side, calls my name gently wanting to know if I am all right. I shake my head and whisper to her words of encouragement that I am fine. I stay seated.
 
 
~ I dare you to lift yourself
Up off the floor
I dare you to move
I dare you to move
Like today never happened
Today never happened
Before
:Music Break: ~
 
 
I let my mind wander for a minute or two before I go back to glaring at the ninja. How did I let this happen? How did I become so careless as to let Sano die? What happened to my safety trigger switch where I was so calm and collected in a battle and so nice to everyone? Where did my nice Shinta side get left behind? Where did Battousai take over? Sano had been there for me so many times before. And now I've let him die. Sanosuke… your death will not be in vain! I stand and have a quick staring contest with the ninja. “I am Battousai Himura. And you are?” He smiles. “I am Kouji.”
 
 
~ Welcome to the fall out
Welcome to existence
The tension is here
The tension is here
Between who you are
And who you could be
Between how it is
And how it should be Yay!
I dare you to move!
I dare you to move! ~
 
 
“What the…?” I stare at him blankly. Makiyu looks from Kouji to me, not completely understanding what just happened. “You can't be Kouji… Kouji wouldn't kill one of my best friends! Kouji wouldn't steal my sister from her room at night. KOUJI ISN'T ALIVE! He died when I was a Shadow Killer.” Kouji laughs. “Yes, that's right. They took me away and killed me. Or so they said. They trained me till I was 19. Then I set out to find you. When I found you, you were killing innocent people who just protecting their loved ones!” I drop back to the ground, where I leaned over and supported myself on my hands. My golden eyes were wide and confused. So many confined emotions from long ago swept across my pale face.
 
 
~I dare you to lift yourself
Up off the floor
I dare you to move
I dare you to move
Like today never happened
Today never happened
 
Maybe redemption
Has stories to tell
Maybe forgiveness
Is right where you fell ~
 
 
He's right. I killed people and fighters when I was a Shadow Killer. I killed them to gain power. To keep going. Once I killed one…It became necessary to kill the rest…all of them. He was hunting me the whole time. “How long?” He makes an inquiring sound, as he walks around me. “How long have you been following me? How long did it take for you to change so much? How long have you been this way? We loved you when you were born. We nurtured you till you were 6 years of age.” He snorts and kicks some dirt toward me. “I followed you from the very day you started as a Shadow Killer. It only took a week; because I realized no matter how much you PRETENDED to care you were still going to be the same heartless killer you were born to be!” I wasn't heartless. I left to protect you, all of you. Please forgive me. After the Shadow Killers, I was confused and that's why I started to wander all over Japan. Please please forgive me, Kouji-Chan.
 
 
~ Where can you run
To escape from yourself?
Where you gonna go?
Where you gonna go?
Salvation is here
 
:Music Break: ~
 
 
Kouji begins to laugh as he stops to left of me. “You don't realize it, do you? You know I'm right. In fact, you know that I know that you know I'm right. So there shouldn't be any confusion about it. But your broken mind, split into two people, can't grasp my truth. Your mind only accepts the truth you've known for so long.” He laughs harshly at me as I begin to stand. My golden eyes move onto his frail and pale figure. I give him my most frightening death glare. And then, all of a sudden my eyes fade to a sadden violet. “…Listen. About life, about death…About sin and retribution. And I finally arrive here; at the one truth I can't escape. I want to protect all the people I see here…I want to help those who are in pain, or those who are suffering. And during the war, there was one smile that I wanted to see. But to be able to do that, I had to defeat my enemies…I had to take lives… Though, not realizing that those I killed were fighting for the same reason. It was my fault,” I draw my reverse blade sword at this point and point it towards him. [1]
 
 
~ I dare you to move
I dare you to move
I dare you to lift yourself
To lift yourself
Up of the floor
I dare you to move
I dare you to move
Like today never happened
Today never happened
Today never happened
Today never even happened before! ~
 
“So I'll accept my punishment. But if I live today, and if you are not so lucky. I'll live on bearing my sins, your sins, and the sins of those I've killed. If I die, I die knowing that what I've done will not be in vain. And that I have atoned for my sins.” I finish the last of my speech and look towards Makiyu, Sano, and the dojo. At that moment, as I look upon what I own, tears filled my eyes. The tears of a boy who's past was not one of joy. Of a young man who's first job was to kill people for a government ruled by idiotic pigs. Of a man who's killed many men, and who will soon die. Those tears begin to race down my face as my bangs cover my eyes. Each one wishing peace to a person I've killed. Each one holding a pain, that if not exposed, would have destroyed me. I calm myself and look toward him. “As much as I don't want to hurt you, as much as I don't want to fight, if this is the way you wish to settle this… I honor your decision, Kouji.”
 
 
Kouji looks over me once more, as if making sure I am worth this. He apparently comes to a decision and finally draws his own weapon. My eyes hold a brief surprise as I see that familiar blade. The Mugenjin, if I'm not mistaken, the Infinity Blade. The blade, or rather sword, our old friend Makoto Shishio wielded. I stare at it in mock disbelief. “Oh. I see this katana is well-known to you. Now who had this sword last? Hmmm. Oh yes. How could we forget? Makoto Shishio. I recall your battle with him. It was most intriguing, if I may say so myself. You're probably wondering how I knew about that. Right?” I nod ever so slightly as I move an inch forward. My sword trembles a little as I step. “Well, you see. I told you I was following you before. Well when you started to wander I, at first, was not concerned with your actions. After I left I was informed about your little meeting with Aoshi-san. It was fascinating. Afterward I followed again. When you came to every crisis and struck it/he with little difficulty. I was astounded, or rather astonished. The second to last was most interesting because of the fact that it dealt with Mr. Shishio. After you defeated him and his place was burned, the only thing left of him was his sword and some dark red bandages. Of course I discovered these things. I took,”
 
 
He shifts his weight over to his left foot. And coughs a minute or two before continuing. I must admit I was fidgeting a lot during his story. It wasn't pleasant to know or remember that I always felt someone watching me throughout my battles. It was most unnerving. “Where was I? Ah, yes. I took the sword of course. Since you did not battle for a while till you met Mr. Shigure Takei, I trained with this sword till then. And now, we arrive here. At the end.” I suddenly begin to run straight toward him, my sword at chest height. “Trust me! This will be the finally fight, Kouji!!!!” “Bring it on.” He raises Mugenjin at shoulder height and as I drew near he threw it toward me. After a couple of sword slashes deflected, he gets through my defense and takes advantage of it. He strikes his Mugenjin on the ground and then strikes at my arm. I move back as a reflex but still get cut by the flaming blade. Where it hit my shoulder, I'm not sure, but the pain was enough to tell me I was hit.
 
 
I had to strike while his defenses were down, and that's exactly what I did. I pulled my sword up and jumped forward at a low height. My eyes flicker gold as I flip the Sakabato's blade. I catch the surprise in his eyes as I cut through his right arm. He recoils sharply in pain, as I stare at him. He uses his left arm to hold what's left of his right. “Sorry about that. But it was necessary, wasn't it?” He glares at me and pulls out three shikigame (Sp?) stars from his belt. He growls at me angrily. “You…Jerk!” He throws the first star at me. I barely dodge as it misses my foot. It hits the ground with a dull thud. “You really are no linger a great risk, you know.” I tell him in monotone. He takes it personally. “You may have cut off my sword arm, but I am trained well enough in left-handed combat. So my left arm is useful.” He spits at me then gives a know-it-all sneer.
 
 
I glare at him angrily with my golden-violet eyes. “You may not have that arm for much longer, Kouji.” I know I don't want to do this. But I have no choice. If he wants it this way, then fine. So be it. He snorts and throws the next two stars at my chest, and afterward pulls out four more. How many of those does he have?? I dodge the first star by ducking; it only cuts a strand of red hair off. As I stood back up the second star came. I turn to the left sharply to avoid it. The blades of the star still cut a deep wound in my stomach. He throws two more stars at me; I deflect them both with an upturn of my Sakabato. I flip into the air and land behind him, and take only a few moments to get ready o strike him. Unfortunately, he was fast enough to turn around before I could strike his back. He lunged toward me at inhuman speed. At the same time he stabbed me with a hidden knife, my sword finds its way into his chest; nearly missing his heart.
 
 
I hear a small gasp from somewhere off to my right. My first guess was that it was Makiyu, but I would soon find out I was wrong. I dismiss it from my mind. I pull the blade from him as fast as I could with my chest wound. I don't want to do this to you, Kouji-Chan. You're like my little brother. Please, come to your sense and listen to me. “I don't want to fight you anymore, Kouji.” He doesn't hear me. He coughs strangely and chokes on the blood flowing into his mouth. He places a hand on his gash, and spits up a bit of blood onto the ground. As I watch him the last wave of pain washes through my body and I shudder violently as its after effects of pain. I try to ignore it, my eyes blur for a minute as I try to focus on Kouji's movement. I cough slightly now, out of breath. I'm sorry. “Kouji…I'm sorry.” He was still shaking, but he managed to form words, comprehendible. “Kill me. If you are truly, `so sorry. Prove to me you really care if I am caused pain. If you really care about my existence. Kill me.” I stare at him blankly for a moment or so. My eyes are once again stuck between gold and violet.
 
 
Tears begin to form at the edge of my eyes as I realize what he is saying. No…Kouji. No…I can't do this. I can't! NO! I close my eyes and take a deep steadying breath to calm myself. I open my eyes once more and look to him. If it will make him see… If it is needed… I will do what is best. Please, forgive me Kouji. You must suffer the same fate as Tomoe. The same way… “If,” I begin as I let out an unsteady, rigid sod. I raise my sword and step to him. “It would please you. Then this one will do as you wish.” I let out another sob, and finally stab the sword through his back and pull it out. I feel a mix of blood and tears race down my pale face. I let out another broken sob as he gasps and is taken away by Lady Death. Kouji. I'm sorry. Rest in peace, my little one. I watch him fall to the ground, and listen to his last heartbeats. My sword drops from my hand and hits the ground with a click. Makiyu approaches me for the first time in this battle; followed by someone else… Yahiko. I don't even dare to look at them as I speak in a horribly sad voice.
 
 
“Years ago…in the name of the country, many lives were taken. So many battles… so much bloodshed, never undone. Then we reached this new era…for the moment. The time for peace had come, so much so…that even a child may grow knowing nothing of battles and bloodshed. When I finally realized I no longer wanted to kill, I vowed not to. Many people such as, Katsura Kogoro, said I was just telling my self sweet lies. But I kept going, atoning for the sins of the people I killed and then for my own. I protected all. I protected the innocents knowing that they would be this era's future. Every day I knew I could die, every day I was ready too. I finally arrive here. I have finally killed again. My vow has been broken, sins have been atoned for, but…I can never rid myself completely, of the scent of blood. It's been so long since I have smelled death before me.” I smile weakly as I finally turn toward them. Tears run down my face as I fall to one knee in pain. “Kenshin!” They both yell in unison as they come to my side.
 
 
“Are you alright, brother?” Makiyu asks me in a gentle voice. Yahiko is right at her side holding a rag. He presses it to my stomach wound, which is bleeding pretty badly. I somewhat manage a smile. I look to her again. “Makiyu, I've lost too much blood. My mission is done. I have no reason to stay anymore. It's time I pay for what I did. The same way others did.” A few tears slip down her face as she registers what I'm saying. “You can't die! We need you! I need you!” I look to a stunned Yahiko before I speak again. “When I die there will be no reason for anyone to come after you. I,” I cough up a puddle of blood and wince as my wound gives off pain. “think it would be better if I go now. Then I will be protecting you won't I?” I smile again and try to hug her as she cries. Her tears fall from her face onto my blood soaked shirt. I manage to tell Yahiko to get help, and he gets up and runs off. I ask Makiyu to lay me down onto my back, and she does so, crying her soul out on my chest.
 
 
I close my eyes as my breathing becomes rigid and soft. It was finally time for this legend to come to an end. I was happy I could do everything I did in my life and everything I did for my family. I open my eyes once more to look towards Sano's body. If it weren't for you, I would never have become so great. Thanks, Sanosuke Sagara. Sano. Kouji. People that I will never forget, even in death. Thank you both. My eyes fade to violet again as the world around me begins to darken. I hear Makiyu calling my name and shaking me. I try to tell her that it is in vain, but I can only manage her name in a soft dying voice. She calls my name once more and tells me she's here for me. I love you, Makiyu. May you live a long and happy life, with someone you love. “Makiyu …Love …You …Sis.” My world becomes dark as I feel her tears on my face and her lips on my forehead, wishing me safe passage through heaven. As I am shut off from the world around me, soft peach hands grasp my shoulder and turn me around. I stand there staring at Lady Death as she smiles at me. Her raven black hair frames her peach face and golden eyes. She is wearing a black gown, and holding a silver scythe. She leans in close to my ear and whispers something. “Those who protect…are protected, forever. Fear not. It shall be painless.” I feel my heart stop and know that this is right. Good-bye.
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Makiyu's POV
 
 
 
His coffin was placed in one of the most honorable temples near the dojo. I sit there now at his wake. People walk up to me and bow, then go to his coffin and say something to honor him or confess to him. Aoshi, Saitou, Hiku, Yahiko, Makiyu, and others I know came. When Hiku sat before Kenshin's coffin and said that Kenshin was one of his most loyal students and that he was sorry he acted the way he did whenever Kenshin was around, I began to cry. He said that Kenshin was never just a stupid apprentice to him; he was a son who would never listen. He said he wished Kenshin peace in his travels, as he wandered the Spirit worlds. I pull my legs up to my chest and cried on my knees, trying to block out my muffled sounds. He was the last visitor, besides a few of the town's people who came to wish me well. Hiku stayed afterward though to read me what the coffin said. I stood next to him as he began to read the words to me. “Kenshin Himura. A man not soon to be forgotten. He protected the innocent with his blade and befriended even his enemies. We thank him now for the new era he has created. We thank him for his protection and hope. May he rest in peace.” I smile at the words I hear Hiku say. I thank him. “Makiyu, you must say something to honor him now.” I blink for a second as I think of what to say.
 
 
I press my hands together and repeat something from his stories. “Jin'ei spoke to me and said that, `A manslayer is a manslayer till the day that he dies.' I look to him and speak in a soft voice. A voice of a Rurouni Warrior who was once a manslayer, but would never become one again. I said to him, `A manslayer is never a manslayer until his last moments. He may not kill again and he may. Perhaps we do not wish to think that we are killers. Perhaps we wish to think that the sweet lies we tell ourselves are the truth. Though we know the art of a sword is to kill, we prefer to think we can protect with our swords. For some of us, it will be possible, and we will make it so.' I smile at him as he disappears into the night, never looking back.” I sweep a tear away from my cheek as I finish. Hiku places a hand on my shoulder and then walks away. I stare at his coffin then turn to a closet at the left side of the room. I open it and pull out a sword. Kenshin's Sakabato, the blade type he vowed only to use. I walk back over to the coffin with the sword and sit down. I place a piece of silk on the floor and then place the sword on top of it.
 
 
Tears flow down my face as I pull the handle of the sword off and wrapped the silk around the sword. I pick it up again and place it atop Kenshin's coffin. I press my hands together again. I pray for peace in this new era that Kenshin, my brother, had left Yahiko and me. I walk out of the temple and look over at Yahiko who is placing flowers at Sano's grave. I walk over to him and read to tombstone. “Sanosuke Sagara, A man who wears the symbol for bad on his back, with pride. May he rest in peace and have safe journey into the next world.” Yahiko stands up and hugs me as I begin to cry again. “They were both great men, who fought in great battles, with great opponents, and finally died for a great cause. They won't be forgotten so easily, and with time your heart will heal. But for now let yourself cry, and let us ease your pain.” I cry against his shoulder and try to get the words out from my painful throat. “I just wish they could have stayed with us, instead of leaving.” “They are still here.” I look up at him in confusion. He smiles an all-knowing-smile that Kenshin use to give us. He points to my heart. “They are always in your heart. And they are always watching over us.” I sob against his chest, happy that he is still here.
 
Yahiko looks away as Makiyu runs toward the dojo, and thinks to himself. “Among the many-colored threads that weave the tapestry of one's life…the meeting of two people…is a part of the pattern of destiny. I will never forget you, Kenshin Himura. The legendary Hitokiri Battousai who killed a thousand men, and befriended all.”
 
 
~Omega~
(The end)
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
Dedicated to:
All my friends.
And most importantly,
Jenny.
You're a great friend who
Even later
Will never be forgotten.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
[1]- This was something I found on a wallpaper I use to have on my computer so; I want to give credit to them. It wasn't my idea! Though I wish it was.
 
Yarisha: I hope you enjoyed, cried, and grieved the whole way through this story. I thank you for reading it with us as Adren, Kenshin online, and I wrote it.
 
Yasuo: Please review. Sayonara Minna-san.
 
Kenshin (Or Adren): I hope you liked my story! Read more of Yarisha's works when you get the chance. But fair warning, this is the only completed one so far. Thanks again. Ja ne! ^_^x