Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ I'll Take the Tears ❯ Prologue

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I'LL TAKE THE TEARS

Standard Crap:

I don't own any of the characters here,and yes that includes Aoshi (wish I could own him) . I don't own the song either. My gawd! It's the fault of my damn muses (aka the inner voices in my head)! They won't leave me alone until I haul this fic out!!!!!

Okies,please read and review minna!

Take note that this is written in Aoshi's POV.

Don't speak,seal your lips.
Please don't say a word.
Maybe I won't remember the words that I have heard.
I see that you're in love,I know it's not me.

I stood still,clutching the tea cup I held in my hand. Had I gripped it any harder it would have broke. But I probably won't feel the tiny shrads of pottery clinging to my hands from the numbness that I felt from the striking blow of the unexpected news.

Misao is getting married to someone else.

"Aoshi-sama,daijoubou ka?" Okon asked me,concern evident in her voice.

I couldn't answer her question,as if my tongue had suddenly stopped functioning.

Without a word,I stalked out of the Aoiya and went to the woods.

But I don't want the truth to harm that memory.
It's never too late to relight the fire,it never stopped burning for me.
The flame that never died inside of me.

It was all my fault. That was what my mind was screaming while I walked without any direction through the vast woods.

I was an icicle incarnate.

I was a fool to refuse a wonderful gift.

A gift called Makimachi Misao.

It had only been a month since that incident. Misao told me how much she loves me but all I told her was "Misao,I refuse to acknowledge another one of your immature acts.If you're acting so immature now,what more if-"

I was cut off by her slap and she walked out of the tea room then.

Come to think of it,I had never seen her after that night.

It turns out that she stayed in the house of another member of the Oniwabashuu until Okina found a suitable match for her to be married off to.

How is now that I can tell you I love you?
How is it now that it's too late?
What can I do,the love that we have is torn in two.
So you take this smile from all of our years,I'll take the tears.

It is already a year later.I'm standing in the private ceremony of Misao and her groom.

I despised looking at them,damn Okina for insisting that I should attend the ceremony meant for family members of both sides only.

I noticed that Misao barely looked my way.

I couldn't blame her.

Had I been a woman,I would have done the same thing.

My heart swelled with more love for her,except that I will not be recieving any in return.

And it's all my fault.

I still reminisce of times that we once shared.
You gave me more than love,but never thought I cared.
I gave my heart to you,although it did not show.
I only told you so,the day you let me go.

While the priest was droning on and on during the ceremony,I tuned him out.

Memories of Misao rushed through my mind.

Come to think of it,she had always laid her love out in the open for me to take.

But what I did was to turn her away.

Stupid,stupid Aoshi.

See what happened now?

She's getting married to another man,when it should have been YOU there on the altar with her.

Now I realize,you're no longer mine.
Now I'm hoping the pain will heal in time.
Though you're leaving,I won't say goodbye.
Because I know it's still you and me inside.

Misao looked very lovely in the brillant white kimono and tortoiseshell combs holding up her hair.

But she would have been more beautiful if she's marrying me...........

How is now that I can tell you I love you?
How is it now that it's too late?
What can I do,the love that we have is torn in two.
So you take this smile from all of our years,I'll take the tears.