Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ In These Final Hours ❯ Crashing into Reality ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Familiar with Silverchair's "Black Tangled Heart?" For some reason, it speaks of the whole Tomoe saga to me. The lyrics don't completely fit, but I can't help thinking about Kenshin when I hear it…… Oh hey, this was supposed to be a disclaimer, wasn't it? Ah, yeah, I don't own Kenshin. Or Silverchair, for that manner.

In These Final Hours: Crashing into Reality

Alternate Title: When Misaos Attack

It felt like a fairy tale, simply put. The awkward girl in rags suddenly gets a turn at greatness. Then she's dancing in the arms of the prince at the ball, drenched in riches of all kinds and hoping the magical night will never end.

Kaoru smiled against her pillow. There was a warm glow in her chest that was refusing to leave. It had lodged there sometime between when Kenshin asked her to dance and when she'd finally registered the fact that he wasn't just asking out of politeness. He honestly seemed to enjoy spending time with her. Having a shadow wasn't a burden.

Now, how long would this happiness last? Kaoru's smile turned into a scowl. She was getting very far ahead of herself. There was still the prophecy to contend with. And how did she know the prince's interest in her wasn't exclusively platonic? Her own starry eyes could be seeing things that weren't there. They'd only known each other for a day, after all.

Still… she couldn't stamp down that little giddy feeling bouncing around like a maniac inside of her. The slope was steep and she was tumbling head over heels.

"Damn," she muttered into the pillow, blushing a bit at the force of the word. She didn't speak like a lady, but she tried to leave sentiments like that to Sano's capable mouth. Still, it wasn't without warrant. She couldn't afford to like Kenshin. It was just too risky. Part of her was scared, content to hide behind the peasant façade that kept romance impossible. The other part wanted to march through the door across the room and announce her true heritage. It would probably be the one and only time she'd be grateful for that heritage, but it would also get her booted from the palace and Kenshin. Hence the risk.

"Mou," she groaned then, flipping onto her back with a thump and staring at the underside of her canopy. If only he wasn't so, so perfect. He seemed to walk on air, always saying the right things and revealing the right insecurities and flaws. The adorable kind. Like when he'd blushed and stammered an apology when his hand had slipped from her waist to her hip during an elaborate turn. Kaoru had protested that she hadn't even noticed. In reality she'd been about to faint from the butterflies cutting off the oxygen to her brain.

It was perfect. The whole thing had a pastel, shimmery quality around it, like she was walking through a dream. On second thought, maybe not like a dream. If it was a dream she'd probably end up standing naked in the middle of the ballroom floor, desperately trying to find her dress while the guests laughed and jeered. So maybe a delicious fantasy…

Hmm, maybe not that either, she decided with a small blush as her brain started making outrageous leaps.

Well, whatever it was… it was wonderful.

If she ever saw that old bag again… she'd give her a bone-crushing hug.

The smile was still plastered on her face when she woke up the next morning. This time she wasn't disoriented by the new room. She knew exactly where she was because it was exactly where she wanted to be.

She practically skipped over to Kenshin's door after she got dressed. He was definitely the first thing she wanted to see this morning.

"Kenshin?" she called with a tentative knock. She heard him call her in and grinned as she opened the door, "Good morning!" she called cheerfully.

"Good morning, Ms. Kaoru," he looked up from where he was polishing his sword. Kaoru settled herself on a low stool by his bed and watched him work for a moment. Then she remembered her question from the last morning.

"Kenshin," she frowned, "why do you have a reverse blade sword?"

He flicked a smile her way before his gaze returned to his task, "Because of a vow I took many years ago."

"What vow?" now her curiosity was piqued.

"I vowed after the wars that I would never take another life," he said seriously, the movements of cloth over steel slowing thoughtfully.

Kaoru blinked, "You… were in the war? You fought?"

His expression turned amused, "Of course, Kaoru. I was of age and as the prince it was my duty to protect our kingdom, that it was."

"No, no," she waved a hand at him, "You mean…" she leaped to her feet and pointed an accusatory finger at him, "Just how old are you?!" she demanded.

Kenshin's eyes rounded considerably, "Ah," his head tilted to the side in consideration, "I think… twenty-eight? I do not keep up with my birthdays very well," he smiled.

Kaoru sat down again. Hard. She'd nearly had the shock of her life. For a moment she'd thought the man she had a crush on was old enough to be her father. Twenty-eight she could deal with, though. Compared to, say, thirty-eight, it was a wonderful age.

"You don't look your age," she muttered, congratulating herself on the understatement of the century. Kenshin merely shrugged and gave an apologetic smile.

"People say that a lot," he remarked, sliding the now pristine sword back into its sheath.

Kaoru watched him before another thought entered her mind, "Kenshin," she hesitated. Whenever she asked this question, people tended to blanch in fear or hatred and quickly changed the subject. Still, it was a subject that fascinated her in a morbid sort of way and she wasn't going to let this opportunity slip.

"Yes, Ms. Kaoru?" he prompted when he saw her face cloud with consideration.

"You fought in the war, so... did you ever meet the Hitokiri Battousai?" she asked cautiously, watching his face carefully for whatever reaction he'd give. To her surprise, there was almost none. The pleasant smile didn't waver, the eyes didn't flicker with emotion. It almost looked like he was still waiting for her to ask the question.

"I did," he said suddenly. It sounded like he was commenting on the weather.

Kaoru almost fell over with shock. Not only did he answer her question, but with an affirmative.

"Was he like what people say?" she ventured when she decided he wasn't upset with her.

"He was," he considered for a moment, "detached. He had put his heart aside to fulfill his duty," he said slowly, staring at the sword lying across his lap. Kaoru watched him curiously. She had a feeling Kenshin hadn't just met the legendary assassin, but knew him. It wasn't surprising, though. He'd been the shadow weapon of their country. Where the king could not see, the Battousai did. Who the king couldn't afford to meet on the battlefield, the Battousai took care of on the side. It was a dirty assignment, but a necessary one. Their kingdom was small in comparison to the neighbors they'd been fighting. It was whispered over mugs of beer and wine that the Battousai was the weight that tipped the scales in their favor. It was also whispered that he was a heinous murderer.

"He saved us, didn't he?" she asked softly.

Kenshin looked at her with startled eyes, the violet steeling into a harder blue. Her own eyes widened slightly at the change, but she didn't avert her gaze. After a moment his expression softened and he nodded.

"Some think so." He placed the reverse blade back onto the small shelf beside his bed and stared at it for awhile. Kaoru regarded him somberly. There was no doubt in her mind. Kenshin had known the Battousai, and well.

"Shall we head to the kitchens, Ms. Kaoru?" he turned suddenly, a smile fixed on his face. Kaoru sighed and shook her head. He couldn't fool her with that poor attempt. She'd grown up with Seta Soujiro. But since she didn't want to bother him further about the subject, she let it slide.

"Sure," she stood and brushed her simple leggings and tunic straight. They were loose, but fitted enough to be perfect for training. Kenshin wore something similar, but his clothing was more layered and billowy, following a fashion trend that had been out of style since the war. She wondered how Tae could stand to let him off of the palace grounds. And now she was beginning to think like her mother.

Kaoru gave herself a light knock on the head and shook it off.

Kenshin regarded the action with a bemused expression, but didn't comment. Instead, he held the door for her and they began the long walk toward the kitchens.

"Did you enjoy the ball last night?" Kenshin asked.

Kaoru grinned, "I never thought I'd say it, but yes. I had a wonderful time." It sounded wrong to say that. She was supposed to be fulfilling a challenging role, managing a perilous duty. Instead she'd spent the night dancing without a care in the world.

Shouldn't this job be harder than that?

"I'm glad. I was worried you might have been bothered by the nobles, but you handled everything very well," he complimented cheerfully. Kaoru paled a little at that. Yes, she'd handled the nobles very well considering she'd almost had three different heart attacks during the course of the evening.

Three different young lords had approached her, all three men she'd met before as a Kamiya. That had been a thrill and a half. Still, she couldn't help but feel slightly put out by the fact that they hadn't recognized her at all. One of them had actually proposed marriage to her a year ago, the fink. But he'd introduced himself fully, oblivious to the fact that he'd already used the same stale compliments on her.

Keeping her identity secret was more important than a little bit of vanity, though, she reminded herself. Now she just had to pray that her luck would hold up and she wouldn't run into anyone who really knew her. There wasn't much chance of that, though. Most of her long time friends and acquaintances had been in the village, and peasants didn't get invited to very many balls.

"KAORU!" a high pitch squeal reverberated off the walls.

Kenshin and Kaoru froze, one in surprise and the other in sheer horror.

A small body hurtled down the hallway, slamming into Kaoru and bowling her over. She made fervent wishes of hope on every star that danced before her eyes. Hope that the leech on her chest was not who she thought it was. A different maniac. One who wouldn't completely destroy her cover.

"Misao?" she greeted fearfully. She wilted as the girl crowed in delight and bounced her feet.

"I can't believe it, Kaoru!" she held out a hand to her friend, "You're in the palace! Has the world tilted off its axis or something?"

"I think you just did it," Kaoru muttered, accepting the hand and getting to her feet shakily. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad. If she could just take the girl aside and explain the situation, Misao would surely understand. She'd probably get a kick out of it, knowing her.

"I'm so happy to see you here! I thought I was going to be all alone! I mean, my Lord Aoshi is great, but he doesn't talk much, you know."

Kaoru felt the color drain from her face and she whipped her head up to look further down the hall. Sure enough, there he stood, as imposing and cold as ever. He looked like he'd been talking quietly with Saitou and Sanosuke, but was now staring at her with a frigid expression.

"Oro," Kenshin drew her attention again, "You know Miss. Miaso, Ms. Kaoru?"

"Um, yes," she managed, flicking a cautious glance back at Aoshi again. He was still staring at her. "Misao, can I speak with you a moment?" she asked as she dragged the younger girl around the corner. Kenshin watched them go, completely befuddled, before heading toward the other men.

Kaoru peeked around the corner and waited until Kenshin was far enough away before she turned back to Misao.

"What are you doing here?!" she squeaked furiously.

Misao blinked at her in confusion, "I thought you knew I was a spy."

Kaoru rolled her eyes, "Yes, I know you're a spy. But for Kenshin?" she flung an incredulous hand in the red head's direction. Unfortunately there was a wall in her way. She hugged the offended hand to her chest with a wince, but didn't lessen her glare at Misao.

The younger girl looked thoughtful for a moment before her face cleared, "Oh yeah! I guess I forgot to mention that part," she shrugged cheerily, "Lord Aoshi has been working for King Hiko and the Prince for several years. I think he owes the Prince a favor, or something."

Kaoru absorbed this new information, pressing the heel of her hand into an eye socket to try and relieve the pounding in her brain. Leave it to her best friend to accidentally forget little details like that. Though, it was partially her own fault for never asking before, she considered grudgingly.

She shoved the guilt away furiously. There was no way this was her fault. Misao knew her loathing for nobles; she'd probably subconsciously avoided telling her to equally avoid the rampage that would result.

"So what are you doing here, Kaoru?" the chipper girl queried then.

Kaoru froze in her mental tirade, the scowl melting into an expression of desperation. How to answer that one little question. How indeed. Maybe she should handle it Misao style.

"Look, Misao," she took a steeling breath, "This old seer hag gave me a prophecy and now I have to protect Kenshin from disaster and the only way to do that is to be his escort and for that I have to pretend to be a commoner and therefore I'm pretending to be Sou's sister, so please don't say anything," she looked at the younger girl hopefully.

Misao stared at her blankly for a moment and Kaoru could practically see the wheels turning in her head as she sorted the information out. When she finally understood, she looked thoughtful. Then…

"That's so cool!" she squealed, dancing from one foot to the other, "And so romantic!" she gasped with inspiration and leaned in conspiratorially, "You could make him fall in love with you! And then, when he's heartbroken that he can't be with you, you suddenly reveal that you're really a noble! You'd hook him for sure!" she pumped a fist in the air in enthusiasm.

Kaoru felt like her face might crack. She shook her head, then, "Misao, I can't do that, it's," she hesitated to tell her friend she was evil, "it's not very nice," she finished lamely.

"What are you talking about? It's perfect!" Misao scoffed and then pouted, "I wish Lord Aoshi was the prince and I could be his escort," she clasped her hands together dreamily, "Maybe he'd ask me to marry him."

"But Misao, you really are a commoner and Aoshi is a nobleman," Kaoru pointed out tiredly.

Misao snorted, "So? Lord Aoshi is very powerful. He can marry whoever he wants," she nodded confidently.

Kaoru sighed, "Anyway. Misao, could you please explain the situation to him? He'll understand if you explain it, I'm sure."

Misao gave her a confident thumbs-up, "Of course I will, Kamiya! Oops, I guess it's Seta, isn't it?" she grinned. Kaoru felt her stomach sink to about her knees. Perhaps Misao wasn't as reliable a confidant as she hoped.

"Well, let's get out there before your 'Lord Aoshi' has time to give away my secret," she said, hoping she wasn't too late already. Another part of her was shifting the idea Misao had just handed her around uncomfortably. She supposed it went a long way to her credit that she hadn't even considered something like that in the first place. Of course, that credit was probably negated by the fact that now that she did have the idea a part of her brain was looking at it a little too thoughtfully.

"Lord Aoshi!" Misao bounded past Kaoru and toward the group of men. Kaoru followed at a more sedate pace. She felt like she was walking toward her execution. She glanced at Sanosuke, but his expression was carefully neutral. That didn't bode too well. Another glance at Kenshin relieved her a bit, though. He was smiling at her just as obliviously as ever. Saitou was glaring, but that wasn't a shock. He glared at everyone. He probably glared at his wife, she thought darkly. The concept that he had a wife in the first place was almost too much for her to handle.

"Lord Aoshi, it's nice to see you again," Kaoru said cautiously, extending a small curtsy.

Aoshi stared at her for what seemed like an eternity before nodding once. Kaoru let out the breath she'd been holding, feeling almost giddy with relief.

"Prince, why is she your escort," he asked bluntly. Kaoru felt the air whoosh out of her lungs painfully and she fought to keep a pleasant expression on her face.

Kenshin tilted his head at Aoshi in confusion, "She is very talented with a sword and very well trained in court decorum," he said simply.

Aoshi stared at Kenshin for a moment before turning his gaze toward Kaoru. She bore the weight of it gracefully, shooting him a pleading smile and casually flicking her eyes in Misao's direction. She hoped he'd get the psychic message she was trying to convey in the glance. His expression turned hooded for a moment. If she didn't know him so well through her spastic friend, she wouldn't have noticed it.

Finally, he nodded in her direction in what she assumed was an approving manner before returning his attention to the prince. She practically wilted as his eyes left her. There was something wholly unnerving about Aoshi's gaze. It was no wonder Misao liked him. It took superhuman energy to withstand such a draining glare and Misao was super, superhuman.

"My informant has a message for you," Aoshi said, flicking a glance to Sanosuke. The younger man blinked as his presence was suddenly the focus of five pairs of eyes. He scowled and turned into the doorway behind him, reaching a hand in and hauling someone out by the scruff of the neck.

"Hey! Watch it, rooster head!" the owner of said scruff yelped angrily, his mouth half full of sandwich. The rest of said sandwich was being waved threateningly in the taller man's direction as the shorter tried to regain his balance. Kaoru felt the proverbial rug fly from beneath her feet yet again.

"Yahiko?!" she exclaimed incredulously. Was everyone she knew secretly involved with the government?

"Ugly?!" the spiky haired boy pulled a face upon seeing her, "What the hell are you doing here?"

"I was going to ask you the same thing!" she returned sharply.

"I asked first!" he insisted, finally managing to twist himself out of Sano's hold.

"I'm Kenshin's escort," she quipped firmly.

"But that's impossible, you're-" he was cut off by Misao's elbow in between his shoulder blades.

"If you call her ugly one more time, little Yahiko, I'm going to introduce you to the sharp ends of my kunai," she warned.

"I'm not little, you weasel!" he shot back, awkwardly rubbing the spot where she'd elbow dropped him.

Kaoru laughed a little. It was strange. Here she was so far away from home in a strange place, but home seemed to be following her step for step.

"Shut up, both of you," Sanosuke griped, glaring at them from his position leaning against the wall. Of course, this had the exact opposite of the desired effect as both rounded on him in equal force, gnawing on various limbs.

The others stood watching in something like disgusted fascination. Finally, when the spectacle began to turn from amusing to disturbing, Kenshin hazarded a question

"Ah… I believe you had a message for me?" he winced at a particularly loud yelp from Sano.

"Yahiko, report," Aoshi said simply. There wasn't much force behind his words, but their effect was like a slap across the face for the young boy. His headlock on Sanosuke loosened immediately and he dropped to a more dignified pose, turning his attention fully to the prince.

"I've been keeping tabs on Yukishiro Enishi under Lord Aoshi's orders," he said steadily.

Kaoru blinked in surprise as the hall seemed to darken around her ominously. She cast nervous glances at the faces surrounding her and found the same unreadable expression on each. Kenshin's was particularly disturbing. His eyes had steeled to that strange blue color again.

"I am aware of your assignment," he said quietly.

Yahiko's scowled, "I got caught," he said bluntly before reaching into the layers of his outfit and pulling out a note sealed with perfumed wax. Even from her distance, Kaoru could recognize the smell instantly. She frowned. Why would a man seal his letters with white plum blossom?

She let the question go unsaid, though, in the heavy atmosphere. It felt like they were waiting for something and she could feel the intensity that waiting inspired roll from them like waves. The only one who seemed to be calm, in fact, was Kenshin. But his stillness was an unwelcome contrast in Kaoru's mind. She watched as another layer was pulled back before her eyes.

He flicked open the letter and scanned the contents stonily, his eyes dull as they absorbed whatever information was inscribed on the expensive parchment. Kaoru's fingers twitched at her sides as her curiosity demanded attention. She wanted to know what everyone else in the room knew that she didn't, and the answers were probably in that letter.

"Nothing new," Kenshin pronounced as he finished, folding the paper closed with precise movements.

Kaoru hesitated a moment before cautiously extending a hand. She was his escort now, after all. If she was to be prepared for everything, she needed to know everything. Or at least as much as everyone else here. Besides, something in her mind itched of the prophecy.

"May I read it?" she asked quietly, meeting Kenshin's hard eyes neutrally. He blinked at her as if only just realizing that she was still there and stared at her a moment. His face cleared suddenly and he handed her the letter with a small nod of his head.

Kaoru's fingers were inches from touching it when Saitou's drawl made her pause.

"I don't think that's wise, Prince," he said pointedly.

Kenshin's head whipped around to stare at him and Kaoru froze, eyes darting between them questioningly.

"She is the escort," Kenshin reasoned quietly.

"She doesn't understand,"

Kenshin's eyes narrowed and he once again turned his gaze to her. She met it steadily, wondering what it was he was looking for in her expression. Competence? Trust? Well a fat lot of that he was going to get if he didn't tell her what the hell was going on soon.

"She might," the prince said after a moment, releasing her and turning back to Saitou. It gave her confidence. Though the words were dubious, his tone was final. He trusted her to understand whatever it was they were talking about; it was left to them to make up their minds.

"She might not," Saitou returned sharply.

"I won't be able to protect the prince if I'm not prepared," she pointed out, facing Saitou squarely, "If you don't trust me, you should remove me from the position of escort," she challenged.

"It's the prince's decision whether you're released," Saitou said in a voice that implied he wished it was up to himself. Kaoru had no doubt she would have been packing even before the carriage first rolled through the gates.

"Then shouldn't it be the prince's decision whether I'm informed?" she was beginning to get a little angry with all of them. At least two people in this group knew of the prophecy and they were being conspicuously silent. A glance told her Misao was at least half as confused as she was, which made her feel a little better, but another found that Sano wouldn't meet her eyes.

Kenshin sighed in defeat, "It's not that simple," he said, taking a hold of her elbow and steering her back towards their rooms. The letter disappeared into a sleeve, much to her chagrin. She couldn't believe Saitou had won.

"What do you want to do about this?" Saitou called after them. Kenshin's face hardened again but he didn't turn.

"Nothing, for the moment. It is a vague threat, as usual. We can't let him think he's rattled us. Our plans remain as they are until any real threat is felt."

"Prince," Aoshi's voice was startling in its intensity, "things are moving," he warned quietly.

Kenshin halted midstride, causing Kaoru to stumble a bit. She glanced at him questioningly and then followed his head as it turned to look over his shoulder.

"How?" he snapped.

"His confidence is changed. It has an air of finality,"

Saitou frowned and smoothly pulled a cigarette, "You think he'll actually strike this time?"

Aoshi nodded.

The silence stretched through the hall as they waited for Kenshin to decide what to do.

"I will inform the escort of matters," he said finally, going on quickly before Saitou could interrupt, "Only those which are most pertinent. We will leave tomorrow as planned, but with caution. There is still a chance this is a bluff to ruin our treaty with Nishimoto."

"What if it isn't a bluff?" Sanosuke said suddenly, and everyone looked at him in surprise. He was scowling steadily at Saitou, "You should let the escort know everything."

"No," Saitou refused, "just because she is kin to one of our own doesn't change the fact that she's only been on post for two days."

"Enough, Saitou," Kenshin's voice was like a whip and everyone jumped. Kaoru really didn't care at this point if she found out this big secret or not anymore. She just wanted to get out of this hallway.

"My decision is final," he finished roughly before resuming his march back towards their rooms, Kaoru in tow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------

The remaining people in the hallway watched as the furious prince stormed away. Kaoru looked like a pale butterfly fluttering in his wake.

"You're underestimating her, and that could send everything to shit," Sanosuke warned vehemently before turning and stalking off in the opposite direction.

"Yeah, Kaoru may be ugly, but I'd trust her with my life," Yahiko agreed, though being just as in the dark about the secret as Kaoru herself.

"I don't care," Saitou shrugged, dragging a breath through his cigarette, "I don't trust her. She's hiding something."

"You're an idiot," Misao spat viciously, "I've known Kaoru all my life. She's loyal. I would have spoken up earlier, but I'm just as in the dark on what's going on as she is," she said bitterly, turning to Aoshi. He stared past her stonily.

"Forget them," Yahiko advised disgustedly, "They've got their heads too far up their asses to realize they're making a huge mistake."

"'Mistake' doesn't begin to describe it," she said, her voice suddenly quiet and trembling. Aoshi's expression didn't waver.

"Come on," the younger boy tugged at Misao's arm, urging her in the direction Sano had left in. She followed without protest, her watery eyes glued on Aoshi's face until she was forced to look away to keep from stumbling over her own feet.

When they were gone, Saitou casually put out his cigarette on the bottom of his shoe.

"Nice to see at least you have some sense," he drawled.

Aoshi advanced on him so quickly that Saitou was actually surprised.

"If you are wrong about this, I will never back you again," he informed softly and strode away.

Saitou watched him leave with a slightly puzzled expression. Then he considered the empty hall around him.

For a fleeting moment he wondered if he'd made the right decision.

But of course that idea was tossed aside with an arrogant laugh.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Kaoru scowled at the red hair bobbing in the corner of her eye. They were practically running through the halls and no amount of demanding on her part was making him stop.

"Kenshin, hold on for a minute," she tried again. She wanted to know what was going on, now. What had made him fly off the deep end and turn into this stranger. Hell, she'd settle to just know where they were going.

Ok, time to try a different tactic. "Kenshin, you're hurting my arm," she lied. It had the desired effect, though. He pulled his hand away like her skin was on fire. At least when he was Mr. Scary Face he was still basically Kenshin. She took the opportunity and stopped walking, folding her arms across her chest and leveling him with a warning glare.

"What's going on?" she demanded, "Or do you really intend on firing me?" she asked, her heart speeding up painfully in fear that he might do just that. As much as she wanted Misao to be wrong, it was a little more than just the prophecy now.

Kenshin turned to her, his face drawn with fatigue and sorrow, "I have no intention of doing that, Ms. Kaoru," he said softly and held his hand out to her again, "Please, let us go to a more private place and I will answer any question you have."

Kaoru glared at him challengingly, "Any question?"

He sighed, "Unless it concerns something I'm sworn not to discuss," he clarified.

Well that ruled out her biggest question, then. She shrugged. It had been worth the shot.

"Alright," she said, taking his hand and letting him lead her to his room.

Once inside, he informed the guard posted there that he didn't want any intrusions until he said otherwise. Kaoru blushed as she thought how that could be interpreted. Sure enough, the guard flicked a speculating glance in her direction before nodding and closing the door.

"Please, make yourself comfortable," Kenshin invited formally, waving her to the parlor area of his room. Kaoru rolled her eyes at his stiffness and plunked herself down on the nearest chair. He took the one opposite her, lowering himself carefully and sitting at the very edge.

"Relax a little bit, Kenshin," she advised, "I won't tell, I promise."

He looked at her, startled, and a grin broke the ice over his features. A relieved sigh escaped his lips and he leaned back into the chair more comfortably and turned attentive eyes in her direction.

She nodded approvingly and started, "First of all," she considered, "What did you mean when you said we were going somewhere tomorrow?"

He smiled, "We are traveling to Nishimoto to discuss the terms of our long standing treaty. King Kaze wants to change a few things."

"Oh, so he wants you to meet his daughter?" Kaoru guessed.

Kenshin wilted a little, "He might have mentioned a ball to celebrate our visiting, but I don't think that is what he plans, that I do not."

"Right. Ok, I can deal with that," she shrugged. It was more warning than she'd had for the ball. "Now tell me who this Enishi guy is," she prompted firmly.

Kenshin sighed, "Enishi has been threatening me for years, but he has never actually done anything. Aoshi thinks he's waiting for the right moment to strike because he knows he will only have one chance to kill me."

"He wants to kill you?!" Kaoru gasped, wondering what her gentle prince could have done.

"Ah, yes. We have a history," he said evasively. Kaoru's eyes narrowed in suspicion.

"Does this have to do with the thing I 'won't understand?'" she asked shrewdly.

He nodded his head.

"Why can't you tell me what it is?" she asked again.

"I would tell you, Ms. Kaoru, but Saitou does not think it is wise," he said apologetically.

"Why do you have to listen to him?" she asked exasperatedly, "Aren't you the prince?"

He smiled at her sadly, "Ah, Ms. Kaoru, I wish you could have grown up with a better example of the ruling class. I value Saitou's opinion and his loyalty. I wouldn't jeopardize that by throwing the weight of my title around," he shrugged, "It doesn't mean much anyway, that it doesn't. In a different life it could have been Saitou who was a prince and I a regular man."

Kaoru was shocked into silence. She managed to nod a bit to acknowledge his speech before she fell into her own thoughts. What he said had hurt her a lot. Not because he thought her naive, because for all he knew she was just a common girl. It hurt because when she'd said what she had… she'd been serious. She hadn't thought twice about using the accident of birth to throw common sense out the window.

Sano was right. She was nothing but a hypocrite.

"Are you alright, Ms. Kaoru?" Kenshin asked worriedly.

She snapped out of her self loathing and gave him a wavering smile. It was the best she could manage when her whole self image had just been thrown upside down.

"Fine, I'm just surprised," she said with a humorless laugh, "You're not like the nobles I've met." Not like me, she thought blackly.

He smiled, but it didn't reach his eyes. They were dark with worry.

Kaoru gave herself a mental slap. Now was not the time to be wallowing in self pity. Not when it was making an innocent man upset. It wasn't his fault that she was… never mind. It could wait till later.

"So… tell me again why Enishi hates you?" she asked, changing the subject.

His face darkened immediately, "I don't believe I told you in the first place, that I do not," he stalled.

Kaoru folded her arms and fixed him with a stubborn glare. He eyed her warily before letting out a depressed sigh.

"I… stole something from him," he admitted reluctantly.

Her eyes widened in shock, "What?" she couldn't believe it, "What did you steal?"

He hesitated, "The person most precious to him in the world."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------

The guard shifted nervously at the cell door. Inside he could hear the low monotony of muttered curses. Every once in a while they were punctuated by whimpering moans of pain. It kept him from falling into a bored stupor, but that didn't stop the shudder that would run up the back of his neck every time they happened. He was barely sixteen years old and this was his first assignment. He'd never even used his sword outside of practice and his first post had landed him here.

In the charge of a man who tortured people for information.

Did anyone really do that anymore? The wars were over. Intrigue was a game mostly left to the ballroom floors and bedrooms. It wasn't supposed to still thrive in dank cellars filled with rats and the stale reek of feces. He wasn't even sure where he was. Every night he met his superior at the road and was blindfolded. They took a different route to the dungeon each time to where he guarded the makeshift prisons. He was beneath a house, or houses, was all he could figure out. If it was quiet enough he could sometimes hear voices far off through the dark tunnels that connected to the room he was stationed in.

It gave him the creeps.

He had to admit that they were right to make their precautions. If he knew where he was, or even the names of his superiors, he'd report them right off. But he didn't know, and he needed the money. So, with a heavy heart and heavy pockets, he kept his mouth shut and endured the misery moaning through the doors at his back. The people in there had probably done something to deserve it in the first place, he reasoned uncomfortably.

"How is our guest doing?" a man draped in cape and hood asked, walking in from the tunnels unannounced. The guard jumped with nerves but relaxed when he recognized the figure. This was the man he guessed was his employer. A noble, he thought, by the cadence of his speech. And the arrogance. He certainly didn't act like his other superiors, and at least they showed him their faces if not revealing their names.

"F-fine," he muttered politely, "Doing fine, sir."

He could feel the cold smile in the shadows of the hood, "Wonderful. I have a few more questions to ask before she's released, and I don't want her too damaged. She might mix up her prophecies and that wouldn't be much help, would it?" he chuckled.

The guard felt sweat prickle the undersides of his arms, "No, sir."

He shifted to the side as the taller man moved to the cell door and peaked through the tiny window that was the only source of light the prisoner had. After a moment of observation he clucked his tongue disapprovingly and moved back to the exit.

"She's a bit scattered right now," he sighed, "I'll have to come back in the morning for our chat."

"Of course, sir," the guard mumbled. For some reason, the nobleman liked keeping a dialogue with him whenever he visited.

"Make sure she has a good meal before your shift is over," he reminded conversationally, "And keep up the good work, Hajime," his voice was pleasant as he ducked back out of the room. He sounded like a doctor checking up on an ill patient. Hajime certainly didn't feel like a nurse.

"Thank you, sir," he stammered. Once he was sure his employer had really gone, he rubbed his arms furiously to shake off the chill. That man gave him the creeps. The first legitimate job he found, he was out of this mess. Even if it was shoveling manure from the streets. Anything was better than watching a man use his power to torture an old woman to death.

A/N: No, Hajime is in no way related to Saitou. Just a dumb oversight on my part in writing this. I plucked a name out of the air without realizing who the readers might associate with it. *Cough* Ooooh, lots of intrigue going on now, eh? Gee, I wonder who that old woman could be ::innocent whistling::