Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Kanashii Kenkaku ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Rurouni Kenshin.

A/N: While rather disappointed with the lack of results for Kanashii Kenkaku, I'm really writing this for my own purposes anyway. I started KK because I wanted to know more about Kenshin's past, but could find little to no information on the subject so…I made it up. This will probably be the most historically inaccurate work of fiction since Yu-Gi-Oh. ^^; Yes I know, Yu-Gi-Oh is a great anime, but (let's face it folks) it never happened. The difference is that no one claimed that Yu-Gi-Oh was based off of something real, the Maiji Revolution was a real event. I just took the liberty to twist the facts of history to my own twisted plans. MUWAHAHAHAH!

Kanashii Kenkaku

Chapter 2

There were thirty; at the most, Kenshin noted as the Tokugawa shogunate drew to a stop in front of him He was going to have to contact his superiors about getting a new kimono after this. He could sense their fighting chi; and like all the other Tokugawa shogunate worriers, their blades were sharp. To most, thirty to one didn't seem like good odds, but to Himura Kenshin, Battousai, it didn't matter if it were three hundred against him, he would win. He would protect Sagara and his boy, and all the others who did not have the power or will to protect themselves.

"So, you are the one?" The front most shogunate swordsman sneered. "This is the Hitokiri Battousai we've been hearing so much about?"

"Hai, it is." Kenshin growled back. "But I do beg you not to call me by that name." He continued. "I am Himura Kenshin! I am my master's apprentice. I am the successor of the ancient Sengoku Period Hiten Mitsurugi-Ryu! I am also a Hitokiri, a hired assassin. And with all these titles, whichever you may honour, I shall pride my father, my master, my swordsmanship style, and above all, my country! In the name of the future of Japan I shall defeat you, Tokugawa Shogunate!"

And then, in one fell circular sweep the Battousai's katana had slain all but the one who had spoken to Kenshin earlier, in a shower of blood. With a cold seemingly permanently set on his face Kenshin turned to the worrier and began to walk forward. Blood dripped slowly from the blade of his katana and from his fingers. The darkened areas on his white and crimson kimono and the coppery-red stained lines on his flesh glowed ominously in the pale, silvery moonlight.

"One left." He growled continuing forward with his calm steady pace. "I have earned myself the name Hitokiri Battousai for killing men, such as your self. I hate to kill, but if every life I take during this Revolution is going to save countless others than I shall kill every damned member of the Tokugawa Shogunate." He stopped and sheathed his sword again. The man in front of him briefly wondered if the great Battousai was going to spare him. But then Kenshin continued with his rant and all hopes for survival were dashed from the shogunate member's face. "Every…" Kenshin got into the proper stance and placed his hand on the tsuka[1] and his katana. "Last…" His eyes narrowed as he prepared for the strongest attack he knew. If only his master had taught him the Final Move. "One."

In a flash of steal and blood Kenshin unsheathed his katana performing the great Battoujitsu, the technique that had earned him the name Battousai. It was a lethal move, quick, undetectable unless you knew of it already, and an incredibly painful way to die. The man's corpse fell to the ground and Kenshin stood, straight and glared down upon the lifeless body.

"It is thanks to people like you that my hands shall never possess the purity of one who has never been stained with the blood of men again." He stated softly. "But I don't mind any more. I shall protect every life I can. After this revolutionary war is complete I shall throw away this tainted katana, take up the Sakabatou, and become a Rurouni. I shall have no purpose but to repent for the sins I shall commit during this war."

"Himura!" A voice shouted. Kenshin turned to see Sagara standing in the clearing of trees. "What happened here?"

Kenshin knelt to the ground, whipping the blade of his katana in the grass, cleansing the hi [2] of the blood of his enemies.[3]

"Ambush, massacre…" he paused, his eyes flitting up to meat Sagara's. "Call it whatever you wish, Souzou Sagara."

He then began to walk off to find one his superiors and some new clothing. He couldn't stand being drenched in blood, as he was.

"If I were you," He added, "I'd get back to the Sekihotai. Your young one must be getting concerned for your absence."

"Sanosuke!" He gasped. "You are correct, Himura. Thank you, good luck."

"Perhaps we shall never have to meet again, Sagara. But now, I must go see my superiors about getting some fresh clothing. These reek." Kenshin sniffed a particularly bloody patch on his sleeve and wrinkled his nose in disgust.[4]

Sagara laughed lightly and nodded. As long as the revolution ended he didn't care if he ever saw Himura the Battousai again.

"Beware, Sagara." Kenshin added as he walked off. "We have yet to face the worst."

"The worst?" Sagara confirmed.

"Hai. We have yet to face the Shinsengumi." Kenshin replied, turning cold violet eyes on him.

@!@!@@!@#@@############################################## ##########

Author's Notes: Okay, yes this was a rather short chapter, but I really don't know where I'm going with this plot line. Most of it will probably be the major battles of the Meiji Revolution or something. So anyway, I hope you liked this chapter and I'll update again as soon as I do some more research.



[1] The katana or Sakabatou handle. The handle for a katana is generally covered with leather to prevent as much slippage during battle as possible.

[2] The blood grove in a katana

[3] It was considered a sign of respect and honour for a worrier to cleanse his sword after battle. Some European countries even so far as considered it a sin not to do so.

[4] Seriously, blood smells nasty! Especially fresh…not that I would know…*shifty eyed glances*