Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Kaoru's Birthday Present ❯ The night belongs to us ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3: …the night belongs to us …

(Author's Note: Edited this while listening to the live version of that song by Ten Thousand Maniacs )

It was nearly ten o'clock that night and Kaoru's fear grew with every passing minute.

"He won't come." A nasty little voice at the back of her head whispered softly. One lonely tear travelled down her cheek.She quickly wiped it away with the back of her hand.

"No." she lifted her chin, in defiance to her own fear. "He loves me" she said to her reflection.She was beautiful tonight, with a special glow about her.But she was oblivious to this, caught up as she was in a small dilemma, blown to huge proportions by her nervousness and self doubt. "Make up or no makeup…" after a pause "No makeup.You look fine, just fine. Just be patient.He'll be here.Right?"

At that very moment, Kenshin stood in front of her door, holding a delicate flower.He adjusted his shirt .Since his customary garb had been soaked wet, he now wore a blue one instead.

(Author's Note: I'm definitely NOT familiar with Japanese. Pardon my ignorance and if you do know what that shirt Kenshin wears is called, please tell me.)

Finally, he decided that it was time. Will you do this? He asked himself one last time.

Yes, he would. Because… well, because he loved her.And because the lovely sound of her laughter, like glass bells ringing softly, clearly, in a Summer breeze, soothed his soul. And because, he knew now, he was Kaoru's happiness.

He knocked once, and waited. "Come in." a soft, calm voice.He slowly slid the paper door open and his breath caught at the lovely sight of Kaoru.She sat facing a mirror, with her back to him.Legs bent beneath her, hands resting on her lap, she wore her most cherished kimono, the blue one, and her hair was up in a loose bun except for some strands escaping it at the base of her neck and her ears.When she heard the door slide open, she turned towards him slowly, eyes pinned to the floor.

Kaoru raised her eyelids very slowly and their eyes met for the first time since that moment in the courtyard.

Finally, Kenshin stepped into the room and Kaoru stood to meet him.They took each other in, Kaoru admiring how the blue shirt brought out the violet in his eyes.He was as handsome as ever tonight, and he was truly hers.He wordlessly handed her the flower and placed a kiss on her cheek. Kaoru blushed lightly and, before she caught herself, put a hand on his cheek, the one scarred, and, on her toes, kissed his lips lightly.Eyes closed, cheeks on fire, they prolonged the kiss, Kenshin's lips parting hers, his hands around her waist.Kaoru's trembling fingers undid the knot that tied his hair.They broke the kiss and she pulled him slowly towards the futon.Standing in front of him, with one hand she pulled out the pin that held her bun and her silky hair came down like a black curtain.

No words had been exchanged, but the silence was loving, if such a thing exists, and it was more than comfortable, the room just kept getting smaller , until it was no longer a room, but a space for them to love each other in.

"Kaoru" he spoke her name in a whisper. " I love you."

She beamed up at him and he brought his face down to meet hers, lips brushing ever so softly.They kissed again, deeply, this kiss urgent, more passionate than the first.Very slowly he began to untie her obi, and all they could hear was the sound of their own breathing and in the distance, the falling rain.

Author's Note: Reviews please.

-Harley O!