Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Kaoru ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Kenshin sighed as he slowly walked into the darkness, he could hear Kaoru calling out his name and begging him not to leave but she wasn't safe with him around now. Kenshin gulped and held back tears as he walked over to Tomoe's grave "what are you doing to me?" he asked the grave. Maybe he was just blaming Tomoe for his stupid doings, maybe not. Kenshin sighed as he remembered seeing Kaoru's face when he had told her he was going to wander again, it was shocked and a few tears fell from her eyes as his words had slowly processed in her mind. Kenshin walked in-between people when he heard a familiar "Kenshin!" he turned to see Sano running towards him "Sano?" Kenshin asked "and Yahiko" Sano said pointing to Yahiko who had caught up with Sano.

"Kenshin what are you doing leaving Kaoru?" that was one of the few times Sano had ever used Kaoru's name instead of Little Missy. "Yeah!" Yahiko cried, "you should have seen her face" "I did see her face and I regret leaving it like that," Kenshin said sadly, "but I must leave to protect her, that I must" Kenshin sighed as her saw Yahiko begin to glare at him. "She is not safe with me turning into the Battousai," Kenshin turned to look away "I am a wanderer Sano," Kenshin said, "and it is time I wander again for Miss Kaoru's safety" Kenshin said looking at Yahiko. "Please take care of her for me" Kenshin said before walking away.

He shifted his knapsack to a more comfortable position on his shoulder as the sun disappeared and the skies darkened. Sano and Yahiko just stared at him as he wandered off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~

Kenshins P.O.V.

I looked back at Sano and Yahiko with a frown, still holding back my tears I never cried never but something about leaving Miss Kaoru made tears form in my purple eyes making me want to just to turn and go back to the dojo. Miss Kaoru surely misses me but I can't go back, not with me continuously changing. I felt a drop of rain hit my nose as Tomoe's words echoed in and out.

"You really make it rain...You really make it rain.a rain of blood..."

I looked back at the times I had shared with Tomoe the times when all I had seen was blood. "Have you read all these books?" "no, but their comfortable to sleep against" I remembered out conversation. I remembered reading Tomoe's diary; I..remember everything I want to forget.

"Why do you keep running?" I knew that voice "Kenshin it's time you moved on, forget me and the life we lived." I knew it was Tomoe "out lives are matched Kenshin, live on for me, live on for yourself, live on for Kaoru" I was shocked when Tomoe mentioned Kaoru "She is the one Kenshin," Tomoe whispered, "don't lose her."

I continued walking until I reached the riverside where Jinei had grabbed Kaoru. I remember her calling out my name, I remember me calling out "Miss Kaoru" it was then I had swore I would get Miss Kaoru back. I remember saying "you can use as many skills as you want, however now that I have said I will kill you, your death tonight has been assured," I remember him staring at me then I added, "come I will let you taste a little sample of why they call me the Battousai." Then I remembered saying good-bye to her, memories of Kaoru covered my whole brain, there was nothing else that I could think of.

I stopped walking, I turned to face the path that lead back to the dojo, then to the path that lead out of Kyoto. I sighed as Tomoe's words rang through my head, then I remembered that Kaoru wouldn't be safe if I were there with her.

Holding the ribbon that I had stolen from her room as a memory of her tightly in my hand, I chose my path, hoping it would be the right one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kaoru's P.O.V.

I was frozen there tears streaming down my face I watched Kenshin disappear into the night, I heard Yahiko call out my name but I wouldn't answer, couldn't answer all I could do was cry out "KENSHIN!" before covering my eyes and crying again. I looked up and watched Sano and Yahiko run through the dojo gates, then it was just me again, the lonely dojo owner. I had lost both the man I loved and the one's that I used to turn to. I began to shiver but I didn't care, I was lost, I was alone, I felt a drop of cold water hit my face.

It calmed me down a little but a little was not enough, for I felt like there was nothing left in my world, the hole in my heart that had been filled when Kenshin had decided to stay here seemed to have been dug up again, and now there was no way to fill it. I pinched myself hoping this was all just a nightmare from eating to much but I was still there, lying on my porch listening to the rain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yahiko's P.O.V.

My mouth dropped open as Kenshin said 'please take care of her for me' I looked over at Sano who's fists were clenched in rage, "he's going to regret this Kenshin will" Sano had told me before walking away, all I could do was stand there. Looks like my hopes of being like Kenshin had changed, I didn't want to be someone who ran away whenever he got serious mood swings.

I closed my mouth as a drop of rain fell in it, slowly I walked back to the dojo every step I took Kaoru's sobs got louder and louder, I stopped in front of the porch and looked at Kaoru "Ken...shin" I heard her whisper before I went back inside. I knew that Kaoru wouldn't listen to a word anyone said at least until morning so I walked back to my room.