Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Life the Saitoh Fujita Way ❯ Tales in Tonami - Riverside Conversation ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tales in Tonami - Conversation By the River
June 1871
I was not part of this household during the last harvest season, so I had no hand in helping collect and preserve food for last winter's use. At the end of last winter there was barely enough to keep everyone alive. I vowed that things would be different this year. With Hajime-san's help I expanded the garden. This year we will have a much larger harvest of root vegetables that can be stored in pits dug in the ground and insulated with straw for use over the next winter. I will also dry or pickle as many cabbage leaves as I can spare from our daily needs.
It is also time to start catching and drying fish for winter use. Catching and drying them earlier in the season was my idea. That is why Hajime-san is spending the day at the river today, fishing. I promised to bring him a bento lunch when I came by to collect the morning's catch. That way I can start processing the fish and not have so many to do at once. I suspect that it is also an attempt on my part to have a little time alone with him, not that he cares about that.
I hear her soft footsteps approaching. She told me she would bring me lunch. Although I told her not to bother, she is here anyway. I knew she would be. She is a woman who does what she wants to do, if she thinks it is the right thing, regardless of what anyone tells her.
His back is to me as I walk toward the riverbank. I smile because I am sure that he knows I am close by. I do not think that anyone could sneak up on the third captain, no matter how hard they might try.
“Takagi-san,” I say in way of greeting. I haven't even turned around, but I recognized her distinctive footsteps, light like a cat's. She has enough stealth to sneak up on almost anyone, but not me.
Unwrapping the bento from the cloth that binds it, I set it down between us, as I take a place beside him. I sit as close to him as propriety will allow. I wonder if he will notice.
I give an inner smirk at how close she dares to sit to me. I noticed a long time ago that she took a great interest in me. I have never let her know that the interest is growing mutual. For certain reasons, it is not possible for her to know that, at least not now.
As I slowly enjoy the lunch that this woman prepared for me, my curiosity gets the best of me. “So, Tokio-san,” I begin. “What sort of things do you dream about?”
My, what a personal question! I am surprised, but not offended. We have lived under the same roof for almost four months, long enough to be on a first name basis, so perhaps long enough for him to ask something like that.
“Ah, what do I dream about?” I say to him with a wry smile on my face. “Well, when I first arrived here, I dreamt about not being hungry all of the time.” At last winter's end there was not always enough to eat. It will be different at the end of next winter, because I made sure the garden was enlarged so we could grow more things that can be stored for winter use.
“Surely that can't be all,” I respond to her. I do remember when I first arrived. She probably didn't think that anyone noticed, but I did. There wasn't much food to stretch among us, but my plate and those of the three children who also live in this household, always seemed to have a bit more on them than the plates of the rest of the residents.
I have an idea where those extra helpings came from. It could have only been from her portion. I can understand why she shared hers with the children. But why she would share her food with me is a mystery. I finally concluded that it was because, being the youngest adult male in the household, most of the heavy work falls to me, and she could see how much weight I was losing after I had been here for only a short time.
At winter's end she was so thin that she was to the point of being unhealthy.
“No, that is not all I dream about,” I tell him with a warm smile. “I dream about having a family some day.” Is it even appropriate for me to speak of these things to him? Sighing, I realize that I need to have a husband for my dream to come true, and other than the man sitting beside me, there is no one near my age living close by.
“Isn't that what every woman dreams of?” I quickly add as I glance in his direction. I hope that he did not notice the blush that I feel creeping across my cheeks.
Hm. So she wants children. She would need a man in her life for that to happen. I am very amused at her glance and the growing pink glow on her face. I always knew I would marry at some point in my life. It is necessary if one wants their family line to continue. But I never gave the matter any serious thought. I always assumed that one woman would be just as good as another. But that was before I met Tokio. She has a smile that would warm the heart of even the coldest man, me included.
“How about you, Hajime-san? What do you dream about?” I ask him. It is a fair question, now.
“I have never given it much thought. I have always had my duty to fulfill. That was always my prime objective,” I tell her with conviction. In the past my duty defined my life. Perhaps it will be the same way in the future. However, for right now, my life is defined by the will to survive, and the desire to help those around me to do the same thing.
Now that he has finished eating, I need to focus on the task at hand. As long as he had food to finish, I could just sit near him and enjoy his company. I find it a bit odd how satisfying it feels to sit by his side, to be in his presence.
“I had better take the fish and head back to the house.” I tell him with regret in my voice. I want to get a head start on these, before he brings back more this evening.
“They are already gutted,” I tell her. Gutted, strung through the gills and dangling in the cold water to keep fresh. I had time, so why not find something constructive to do. I frown to myself when I realize that my true motivation for cleaning them was to help her. I am not always moved to action just to be helpful.
“Thank you, Hajime-san. I appreciate your thoughtfulness.” Is that the correct word? Perhaps he did it out of boredom. Fishing does involve a lot of waiting; fish only seem to take the hook when they are in the mood. No matter. Him cleaning the fish for me saves me work, regardless of why he did it. Not that I mind cleaning fish, but now I can begin to fasten them to the drying racks as soon as I get home.
I brought a basket with shoulder straps with me, so I could carry his catch home on my back. It will be easier that way. Kneeling down, I hold it steady on the ground as he lowers the first string of fish inside. “Those are beautiful,” I murmur appreciatively. His hand lightly brushes mine, as he releases his catch into the container. I feel a fire within me at his brief touch. Tokio, do not be so needy, I tell myself.
I merely nodded to her when she thanked me for being thoughtful. Me thoughtful? Has anyone ever looked at me in that light before? I doubt it, especially when I was captain of the third unit. These fish make a heavy load, a good start on next winter's food supply.
After putting the second batch of fish in her basket I ask her to stand while I hoist it up so she can slip her arms through the shoulder straps. I make sure that the straps are not twisted. It would not do to have them dig into her flesh on her walk home, leaving a bruise or a sore spot on her shoulder. My growing concern for her surprises me. I have only cared about my own affairs. I have never needed or wanted anyone.
“I will be home in time for dinner,” I inform her. “I can also help you get what I catch this afternoon spread out to dry.” She will have to clean up after cooking the evening meal, so I will do what I can to help her.
After adjusting the basket he hands me the empty bento container rewrapped in the cloth. “Thank you, Hajime-san. I will see you later this afternoon. Good luck. I hope the fish are hungry this afternoon.” Along with my parting comment, I send him a smile. These fish are heavy but the memory of my short time with him this afternoon will help the load seem lighter.
I watch as she turns from me and takes the path home, disappearing into the heavy vegetation that surrounds the riverbank. Picking up my fishing pole and baiting the hook, I know that I have some things to consider. Some of those things concern her.