Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Maternal Expectation ❯ One-Hundred Days ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
November 20, Kenji's 100th day on earth

Kaoru and Kenshin could hardly believe their little son was already 100 days old. The first three months had flown by on the wings of the wind. Already Kenji looked so much different. He had a head full of coppery hair instead of just a few tufts and was now able to maintain eye contact. Kaoru dressed Kenji in a beautiful little forest green kimono that was a gift from Sekihara Tae. The green of the kimono made the baby's copper hair shine like a new penny.

Kaoru looked up and saw Kenshin standing in the doorway staring at her and Kenji with worry written all over his features. Today was the first time she and Kenji would be leaving home without him with them and Kenshin looked like a lost little puppy at the thought of not being by their side.

"Promise you'll be careful?" he asked mournfully.

"We'll come straight home after, I promise. Have the feast ready, OK?" said Kaoru, taking a lock of Kenshin's red tresses in her hand.

Kenshin nodded and tried to smile, but couldn't quite make it.

"We'll be fine," Kaoru whispered in his ear.

After Kaoru and Kenji were gone, Kenshin decided it would be best to busy himself with the preparations for that night's feast by means of distracting himself from worrying, Kaoru and Kenji would be perfectly fine away from him for a few hours. He couldn't shadow them all their lives after all.

Kenshin got into the kitchen and got to work preparing the food, which he'd bought yesterday and had kept chilling in the well overnight. Soon Oguni-sensei, Yahiko and Tsubame arrived to wait for Kaoru and Kenji to return.

Tsubame entered the kitchen and found the harried redhead having a hard time with something that usually came so easily to him, cutting the vegetables for the soup. Instantly, she was by his side.

"Let me help you, Kenshin-san. You don't want to lose a finger," said Tsubame softly.

"Oro? Tsubame-dono, when did you get guys get here?" said Kenshin, who was so distracted by the idea of Kaoru and Kenji being out alone, he'd never noticed the others' arrival.

"We've been here for a few minutes, Kenshin-san," said Tsubame, trying not to giggle at the look on the poor redhead's face.

"Thank you Tsubame-dono," said Kenshin, handing her the cutting knife. 'I have to stop worrying like this. They'll be fine.'

Dressed in her finest blue kimono, Kaoru carried Kenji, who was bundled up in several layers of blankets, to the Shinto shrine for his hyakunichimairi ceremony.

At the shrine, the priest prayed over Kenji to ensure good health and long life for the red-haired child. Kaoru thanked the priest and then left the temple quickly to get back home where a worried Kenshin and their closest friends awaited them with a huge feast to celebrate Kenji's 100 days of life.

"Tadaima!" Kaoru called out as she and Kenji came in after leaving her sandals outside.

"Okaerinasai," said Kenshin, overjoyed at seeing his wife and son home again. If the others hadn't been there, he would have drawn them into a crushing embrace.

"I'm hungry. Let's eat," said Kaoru, upon sighting the huge feast laid out on the table and silently wishing their rooster-haired friend was there to share the meal with them, even though he probably would have eaten it all.