Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Memories in Kyoto ❯ The Both of Them ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: The day that I own Rurouni Kenshin is the day Sano will become smart… and we all know that's impossible.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Inochi Ryu: Done! This is currently my longest chapter but it won't be the last! Don't worry, I'll update soon. I know you guys are dying to find out what happens to Tomoe and Seijuro… Well, it doesn't end here so… yeah.

Sano: o_0 WHAT'S WITH THE DISCLAIMER?!!

Inochi Ryu: oh… hehe… ^^;;

Inuyasha: Why don't you write any fics about me? *glares*

Sano: Cuz she like Rurouni Kenshin better!!! Duh!!!

Inuyasha: WHATEVER, ROOSTER HEAD!!!

Sano: HALF-BREED!!! BESIDES, SHE WOULDN'T WRITE ANY FANFICS ON A DOG-BOY LIKE YOU!!!

Inochi Ryu: Um… hehe ^^;; Well, that's not entirely true…

Inuyasha: o_0 WHAT?! TELL ME TELL ME TELL MMMMEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Inochi Ryu: o_0 Whoa… you're OOC today… And as for telling you… no.

Inuyasha: TT

Inochi Ryu: REVIEW PEOPLES!!!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

******************************

The Both of Them

******************************

Seijuro had gone all night nonstop, determined to get to Kyoto in the morning. He was tired from lack of sleep, occasionally stumbling over small cracks in the road. It was still dark, maybe an hour before dawn. He felt the form that he carried shift slightly, emitting a soft moan. He looked down upon her, met by a pair of chestnut brown eyes. He blinked. So… she was awake. He smiled tiredly, trying his best to tell her that she was safe. She returned his smile with one of her own though her eyes were still suspicious.

"Excuse me... sir…" she managed to say, her voice slightly raspy yet clear. She cleared her throat, repositioning her body in somewhat of a sitting position. Seijuro looked up from her, seeing the large city of Kyoto that lay ahead. They were almost there. He shook his head, signaling her to be quiet for now. She obliged, sinking back down into his strong arms.

He sped up, soon reaching the outskirts of the city. His nose twitched. There was a stink in the air… He reluctantly breathed in the metallic stench, grimacing as he did so. Blood. Of course, at this time, what did he expect? Roses? He sneered at his silent joke, slowly making his way in. The city was busy, people rushing back and forth with errands to do. They all watched him cautiously but hushed their comments.

He rolled his eyes. Duh. You too would be suspicious when a big guy just walks in with a woman in his arms. Currently, there were very few people who walked into Kyoto like that. Now, the public were more concerned about their lives and surviving the Revolution. Sure, during the day, Japan seemed to be normal, no sword-fighting, no killing. But at night…

Seijuro narrowed his eyes at the thought. So much blood was shed. The day was but a cover for what was really going on, the basis of what the Revolution was all about. When the sun set, swordsmen rose from every house on every street in every city from the shadows, bearing sharp silver blades and an empty conscience. They killed without a thought, silencing their enemies quickly. Kenshin was feeling that now. At this very moment. He was an assassin and it was his duty to kill his targets to make way for a new government.

He heaved a heavy sigh, swallowing nervously and shaking his head.

"Can you walk?" he asked, forcing himself out of the dark things that went on in his mind. It wasn't his problem anymore. Kenshin made the decision to fight and now was responsible for himself; no one else. However… He looked to the woman, his eyes worried yet skeptical. She nodded, feeling the support of his arms under her lowering. Carefully, she went with it, feeling solid ground upon her feet. Dizziness consumed her, causing her to grip her head and try to regain stability. Immediately, he put his hands on her shoulders, balancing her. She smiled gratefully.

"Thank you, sir," she said, bowing. He sighed, inclining his head.

"If I may ask, miss," Seijuro began politely," what is your name?"

He was getting tired of referring to her as `the woman.' She bowed again, her bangs falling over her face.

"Yukishiro Tomoe," she replied. "And you are?"

Seijuro paused, unsure whether to give his name or no. If he wasn't careful, she might find out that he was the Battousai's master; the one who taught him the ways of the sword and the art of killing. Hesitantly, he replied," Hiko Seijuro…"

"I thank you again for saving me, Hiko-sama," she gave him another smile. She turned around, attempting to walk away. Tomoe stumbled, caught by Seijuro before she hit the ground. Her eyes moved to the man that had helped her once again, surprise flashing across her face.

"Tomoe-dono, I don't think you're feeling too well," he said, lifting her into his arms again. She gasped slightly, putting her arms around his neck for support. "You need to see a doctor."

"No… I'll be fine…" She closed her eyes, her body once again flaccid. He shook his head. She wouldn't be fine. Running, he made his way to the doctor's, seeking an old friend's help.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_ *_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Seijuro knocked on the door, grunting at the awkwardness of knocking on a door while carrying an unconscious woman in his arms. The door opened almost instantly, revealing an elderly man inside. He squinted, looking at Seijuro carefully through the half-moon glasses that he wore on a broad nose. White hair stuck out from all places, some hairs tied back into a small ponytail at the base of his neck.

"Seijuro?" he asked, unsure. He tilted his glasses, trying to get a better look. He grinned, the ends of his lips curving. Seijuro smirked.

"Hello, Tamura-sensei," he greeted suddenly frowning. "I need some help…" Seijuro motioned to Tomoe, clearing his throat.

"Oh, my…" Tamura exclaimed, moving closer to inspect Tomoe. "Hmm… Please. Come inside."

Seijuro obliged quickly, moving into the small but cozy home of his friend. It was plain but had the feeling of home and welcome. He sighed in relief. It had been so long since he had such a feeling. Tamura motioned to him, pointing to a shoji. He obeyed, sliding the door open. A futon lay in the center, old but still comfortable. He walked over, setting Tomoe on the soft cloth and pulling the blanket over her.

"Seijuro…" the doctor began. "I need to do a thorough examination so if you could…"

Seijuro nodded, standing. He turned to walk out, sitting himself in the den. He hoped she would be alright. After all, he didn't go through all of that trouble, nearly getting burned to death, saving her, and running all night, just to have her die. His sacrifice of sleep would not be in vain! He shook his head, ashamed of such immature thoughts that went on in his mind. Speaking of sleep… Maybe he could take a nap or something just until Tamura-sensei is done examining Tomoe. And he was so tired…

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_ *_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Seijuro had fallen into a deep sleep, only to wake up with a migraine. He rubbed his eyes, wondering where he was. Recent events flashed through his mind, jolting him into reality. Oh, yeah… He rubbed his temples. Ow… What the---? He sat up and looked around frantically. What time was it?!

"It's noon," a raspy voice said from behind him. He turned to find Tamura-sensei there, grinning as much as an old fool could. "You've been sleeping like a baby."

Tamura laughed heartily, his eyes lighting up with laughter. Seijuro said nothing, simply standing.

"So… How is she?" he asked, his voice thick with worry. Tamura smiled.

"She's fine. Just some minor burns and smoke inhalation. Also, she had a scar on the side of her body… seems to have been from a sword…" he explained. Seijuro furrowed his brow. A sword? "She certainly is lucky to be alive… for the both of them."

The both of them? Who was `the both of them?' Seijuro looked at the doctor curiously, apparently not understanding. Tamura nodded, signaling Seijuro to come with him. He brought him to the shoji where Tomoe rested. Opening the door slightly, he allowed Seijuro to peek in.

Tomoe tossed and turned around inside, groaning slightly. She held the blanket around her stomach, clutching it with a fierce grip. Seijuro gasped. Now he understood. His eyes widened, moving to Tamura. The elder man nodded, confirming Seijuro's assumption. He blinked again, disbelief clearly shown on his face. Tomoe was pregnant.

"I don't believe it," he muttered. Tamura just chuckled.

"Congratulations, Seijuro," he said, patting Seijuro on the back. The man shook his head rapidly, his face scrunched up.

"NO, NO, NO!" he half-yelled, half-whispered. "I'm not her husband!"

Tamura put one wrinkled hand to his chin. "True… you wouldn't be able to attract THAT kind of woman even if you tried…"

Seijuro fumed at this, towering over Tamura. "WHAT IS THAT SUPPOSE TO MEAN?"

The doctor laughed, soon covering his mouth to keep from waking Tomoe.

"Shh… You don't want to wake her now do you?" he asked with a teasing grin on his face. Seijuro muttered something under his breath, glad that the old man was losing his hearing.

A muffled rustle reached his ears. He straightened. It was coming from inside. He put his ear to the rice paper, hearing a soft thud and the shuffling of feet. Quickly, he opened the door, seeing Tomoe up and about. She was folding the futon and placing it in the corner. She looked up at Tamura and Seijuro, smiling.

"Greetings, Hiko-sama," she said, putting her hands on her thighs and bowing. Her eyes shined tiredly. "Thank you again."

"It was nothing," he replied, bowing in turn. She smiled but it did not reach her eyes. Her eyes held a sadness. A deep sadness the likes of Seijuro has never seen. He felt sympathy for her. Why the eyes of an innocent woman bore such sorrow, he didn't know. But somehow… He wanted to make it go away. He wanted to have that dark pain disappear and never return. Such eyes do not deserve to have grief. Not while he was around.

"I must be leaving," Tomoe stated. "Thank you, sir." She bowed to Tamura, slowly walking out.

Tamura leaned over to Seijuro.

"Seijuro, go with her," he requested. "She may seem alright but, as you know, looks can be deceiving."

Seijuro nodded, following Tomoe out.

"Tomoe-dono, please, allow me to escort you home," he affirmed, offering his hand.

Tomoe just smiled, taking his hand. "Thank you, Hiko-sama."

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_ *_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

"Where do you live?" Seijuro asked as they were walking down a street in Kyoto.

"Here," Tomoe replied, looking around. Seijuro snorted. Well, that saved him the trouble of traveling to another city.

"Where exactly?" he inquired. She kept her eyes on ahead, not looking at him.

"We are nearly there," she answered, walking a bit faster. She stopped suddenly, facing the front entrance to what seemed to be a large inn. She walked inside, under a carved wooden beam that lay above them. Seijuro looked around, taking in the new surroundings.

A large front quad surrounded the building, decorated with the soft tinge of pink Sakura blossoms that seemed to dance with the wind, breaking off from the branches of tall, majestic trees. A small pond caught the petals in its crystal clear water, ripples occasionally rolling over and reflecting the brightness of the sun. Colorful Koi swam about, feeding upon the algae at the bottom. Large rocks stood at the edge, shadowing one part of the pond. Not just nature dwelled in this sun-kissed garden but people too.

Women in brightly-colored kimonos marveled at the Sakura trees, smiling in the arms of their fiancés. The men laughed heartily, often kissing their wives on the cheek or caressing their delicate forms and holding them close. Seijuro smirked.

Ahh… Young love. It gives a ray of hope and innocence to this bleak time of death and killing… It makes me sick. He thought, suppressing his laughter. In truth, he did not feel this way but agreed with his first statement. It really was comforting to see such romance bloom in such a time. His eyes moved away from the couples, to a frail figure that stood in the center.

A small, gray-haired woman held a broom that looked about twice her size, sweeping the yard. Clouds of dust rose around her, along with some cherry blossoms that flowed with the breeze. Wrinkles etched her face deeply, clear signs of old age. She did not smile but frowned, causing her wrinkles to deepen.

Tomoe walked up to her, a smile on her face.

"Hello again, Okami-sama," she greeted, bowing formally. She wasn't in the best condition for the white kimono she wore was blotted with black ashes and brown dirt. The elderly woman looked up, her eyes widening.

"Tomoe-san!" she yelled, attracting the attention of the people around the courtyard. She dropped her broom, briskly walking up to Tomoe. Her black eyes scanned her up and down. "What happened to you?!"

Tomoe's eyes hardened. Her smile remained on her face, trying to convince the innkeeper that she was fine. "I had a bit of an accident…"

Seijuro frowned. Accident? He could smell an accident a mile away and, believe him, it was no accident.

"Well, we can't have you wearing such tattered clothing!" Okami said. "You look horrid! Come inside and we'll fix you up."

She turned, dragging Tomoe along with her. Tomoe motioned to Seijuro as he obediently followed. The inn was full of din, ranging from the high-pitched giggles of young women to the low rumbling chuckles of older men. Sake and cigar smoke weighed upon the air in heavy scents, causing Seijuro to cough and sneer. He walked down the hallway, hearing voices coming from every shoji that lined along it. Okami and Tomoe turned down another corridor, moving around the hotel until they reached an empty shoji. Okami closed the door and rushed them inside. Seijuro stepped in gladly, hacking uncontrollably at the disgusting smell. Sure, he liked sake but sake and cigar smoke? Not a good combination…

"So, Tomoe-san…" Okami began, rummaging through a closet on the other side. She glanced at Seijuro. "Who is your friend?"

"This is Hiko Seijuro," Tomoe answered, kneeling down on a cushion. Okami smiled at him, soon searching through her closet again.

"Hello, there," she said. "I'm Okami Yui, the keeper of this inn. Darn it, where is that kimono?!"

After much effort, Okami rose up triumphantly from the closet, holding an old but beautiful kimono. "AH-HA!"

Seijuro just sighed at the elder woman's somewhat pathetic victory. Tomoe put a hand to her mouth, giggling.

"Here you go, my dear," Okami said while handing the kimono to Tomoe. It indeed was beautiful. It was a dark blue color with pink petals dancing on the edges of the sleeves and flying off the blue cloth. Tomoe felt the material between her fingers, smiling at the beauty and softness of the kimono.

"I give you my thanks, Okami-sama," she said, gratefully. Slowly, she stood with the cloth in hand. She smiled modestly at Seijuro. "Excuse me, Hiko-sama but could you---?"

Seijuro just nodded, stepping outside. Immediately, he began to cough again at the overbearing stench from before. Briskly, he walked down the hall, searching for a way out. After much wandering and looking, he found the exit, stepping out and breathing in the clean air greedily. He patted himself on the chest. That was something he didn't want to experience again. His eyes moved to a Sakura tree whose branches hung over the dirt ground. He ambled to the shaded area, slumping to the ground and crossing his legs.

His mind wandered. How long was he going to be here? And what about Tomoe? She was pregnant after all… He couldn't just leave her like this. No, she needed someone besides Okami. She was old and no doubt near death. Now, he had to admit that he wasn't the youngest person around but… He shifted his gaze to some men that sat on the porch. Their faces were red with drunkenness as they laughed, their breaths adding to the stink in the air.

"Did you see that hot babe that just came in?" one of them said, grinning.

"How I'd to get to know her better, huh?" another added, winking at his companion. They laughed, clinking sake cups and downing the alcohol.

Seijuro's eyes flashed menacingly, changing from a darker hue of olive to an intense jade. Such scum stayed here. Tomoe didn't deserve to be left in this inn. At least, not while they were here. They had better stay away from her… or they wouldn't be living in this world anymore. He knew that it would be better if he just stayed but felt no obligation to. Plus… the sake and cigar smoke smell didn't help.

Tomoe came out onto the porch with Okami behind her. The men nudged each other, snickering and staring at her greedily. Seijuro emitted a growl from his throat, soft enough so that not all the people at the inn could hear him but loud enough to give a warning to those men. Tomoe noticed but ignored them, ambling to Seijuro. Okami sneered at the men, trying hard not to give them a piece of her mind. She may be an old lady but she was a tough one.

Seijuro saw her, his eyes returning to their original color. She was beautiful. He had no such feelings for her but had to admit that any man who passed her by would have fallen in love with her. He wondered. Did Kenshin feel love? Was he able to? Well, he used to. Seijuro could remember the very first time he met Kenshin. He and his family had been attacked by some bandits that were looking to loot a small village. These monsters had taken away the only thing that he cherished: his family. He was an orphan to begin with but was taken in by a kind family. And now… they too were gone.

Seijuro had just been passing by at the time, not knowing where he was going nor caring. Kenshin was so small, so… helpless. In desperation, he had taken up the fallen sword of his loved ones and tried to fight. He was stopped though by his adopted sister. Seijuro had heard the words she whispered before she was struck through the neck by a brutal sword.

"Shinta, you must live on. You have not decided what life you shall live as we have. You must live on for our sake, for your sake. Live on."

Seijuro had struck down those men in a heartbeat, silently praying that they would rot in hell. If they went to Heaven, he would curse at Kami-sama for life. He had left their bodies to decay, giving no further thought to them. The next morning when the sun was rising, he found Kenshin again, near the village. He stood among a sea of wooden crosses stuck to the ground, marking the many graves that surrounded him. Seijuro was truly awed. Kenshin had dug those graves for all those people that had died the night before. He never cried. Not once. Maybe he was learning to be emotionless or maybe he was in shock. Maybe he even swore not to cry and vowed revenge. Seijuro would never know.

"So many graves…" Kenshin had said. He stood in front of three large boulders, the marks of his family. Seijuro stared at him strangely, wondering how a young boy such as he would not shed a tear. "I am ashamed to not have an offering to honor them."

Seijuro felt his heart ache for Kenshin. At such a tender age when everything mattered, this boy had lost it. Everything. Slowly, he stepped forward, opening his bottle of sake as he did so. He poured it upon the rocks, watching the liquid roll over the stone in ripples and splash onto the dirt in drops.

"I have nothing to offer but this sake. May they rest in peace," he had prayed. Kenshin thanked him gratefully.

"I will become stronger for them," he said under his breath. "I promise."

"What is your name, boy?" Seijuro asked him.

"Shinta, sir," he answered. Seijuro snorted, plugging the cork back on the empty sake jug.

"Shinta… That is too soft a name for a swordsman. From now on, your name will be…" Seijuro paused. "Kenshin."

Kenshin blinked. A swordsman? "Kenshin…" he repeated. He understood.

Seijuro sighed. That was how Kenshin had come to train with him. He cursed himself for teaching him. All he heard from Kenshin was that he wanted to help people. That was why he left.

"But I want to help people!" Kenshin yelled. "Don't you know that there are people suffering everyday?!"

"Kenshin! How do you expect to help people if you cannot help yourself?!" Seijuro retorted. Kenshin glared at him, his eyes turning into a hard violet.

"I am helping myself! By learning the Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu!" he stated.

"You are but a novice. And a stupid apprentice," Seijuro insulted. Immediately, he heard a swish and an overbearing pain shock through the top of his head. Kenshin stood in front of him, a sheathed sword in his hand.

"OW! WHAT WAS THAT FOR?!" Seijuro bellowed.

"FOR BEING A STUBBORN OLD GOAT!!!" Kenshin shouted back.

Seijuro's eye twitched. Yes… Kenshin was truly something to behold. He sighed again, shaking his head.

"Hello, Hiko-sama," a voice said. He snapped out of his memories. Wha--? He looked at to the source of the voice. Tomoe stood there with a smile on her face.

"Tomoe-dono," he greeted, standing up and brushing himself off.

"I cannot thank you enough for saving me," she said, bowing. Seijuro gave her a warm smile, nodding.

"It was nothing," he replied. Okami stepped forward, beaming at Seijuro.

"Hiko-san, why don't you stay here for a while?" she suggested.

He shook his head. "I'm sorry. I would love to but I must be going," he answered.

Tomoe kept her smile but her eyes fell to fear. He knew why. His eyes went to the men on the porch who watched her with grins on their faces. Well, maybe just for one night.

"Oh, please, Hiko-san!" Okami begged. Tomoe looked at Seijuro hopefully, her eyes pleading. He sighed.

"Hmm… I suppose I need some rest before I go," he said. He looked at Okami then to Tomoe. "But just for one night."

Tomoe's face lit up, the fear in her eyes gone, disappearing into relief. They walked into the inn, Okami and Tomoe talking quietly. Seijuro trailed behind them as they passed the men. They watched him suspiciously, silent as he passed. He gave them a glare, causing them to shift and look away, terror clearly in their eyes.

Good. Let's keep it that way.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Inochi Ryu: *ahem, ahem*

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *cough, cough, hack, hack* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCLLLLLIIIIFFFFFFFFFIIIIIIEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHA--- I mean… yes. ^^;;

Inuyasha: You have GOT to stop writing cliffies… -_-;;

Inochi Ryu: *blinks* why?

Inuyasha: *falls down anime style* BECAUSE!!!

Inochi Ryu: *looks at Inuyasha* sit boy

Inuyasha: *faceplants*

Inochi Ryu: Don't worry though, readers! I'm starting on CHAPTER 10 *angelic music plays* BUT YOU GOTTA R&R OR MY HARD WORK WON'T BE ON ANYMORE!!! ^^ *flames appear in background* I MEAN IT.

Inuyasha: She means it… @~@

Inochi Ryu: Oh, and be sure to read the A/N below.

A/N:

Dear Readers,

Just in case you didn't read my Bio (who would?) I had some ideas for fics but didn't know what… I had one good one though. It's when Inuyasha and Kenshin SWITCH bodies. That's right, you heard me. SWITCH BODIES. I haven't started but it seemed like a good idea. ^^ N E ways… If you have any good ideas that you're just too lazy to write or something like that, then review and send me some ideas!!! ^^ You don't HAVE to read my current fic: Memories in Kyoto. *flames appear in background* Nope. *stress mark* Not at all. *TWITCH, TWITCH* Nuh-uh.

Inochi Ryu

Caution: This is a threatening author's note and may contain flames, twitching, and threats. Results may vary.