Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Off to School ❯ Guilt and Repentance ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Takuma ran as fast as he could, but his legs felt like dead weights. The guilt he felt made it hard to move, also the prospect of facing the parents of his victim. But what must be done, must be done. Takuma arrived at the front gate, slid it open, ran to the front door of the house and started banging on it.

"Himura-san! Himura-san!" he cried out.

The door slid open and he was greeted by who he guessed to be Kenji's mom, a pretty woman with large blue eyes like Kenji's and hair of midnight black.

"Are you a classmate of Kenji's?" asked Kaoru, having never seen this boy before. She knew of Kenji's troubles in school from what Kenshin had told her, but Kenji had never told either parent exactly who it was that harassed him. That, they couldn't extract from him.

"It's all my fault! I was teasing a mamushi with a stick and he pushed me out of the way and it bit him instead!" cried Takuma, on the verge of hysterics.

"A mamushi! Kenshin!" called Kaoru.

A gust of wind and a red blur flying out of the gate told Kaoru that Kenshin had already heard everything.

"Let's go!" she said. Takuma nodded and followed her. Kenshin was already halfway to the clinic.

Due to her condition, Kaoru couldn't take the risk of running. She had to settle for walking as fast as she could. Takuma felt worse and worse all the time. What if Kenji-kun was dead? It would be all his fault and he would have blood on his soul.

---
Oguni Clinic

Megumi had given Kenji the best medicines in the clinic. The rest was now up to him. To her relief, the medicines seemed to be having a good effect. He was no longer feverish and shivering, and his color seemed to be coming back. Just then, the door slid open and in came a wild-eyed Kenshin.

"He'll be alright, Ken-san," said Megumi soothingly. "The fever's already coming down."

Kenshin nodded briefly, then knelt down at the bedside and took his son's hand in his own, never moving his eyes from the boy's face. Megumi stepped out to give father and son time alone. Before long Kaoru and Takuma showed up as well. Kaoru went into the back to be with her two redheads.

---
Takuma sat staring at the floor. He hoped Kenji-kun would be alright. If Kenji-kun woke up, he resolved to apologize and take back every nasty crack he'd made about his hair and nationality. Just then the door slid open. Takuma looked up into Himura-san's cold gaze.

"Kenji told me that one of the boys at school was bothering him, teasing him about his hair. Would you know anything about that?" said Kenshin softly, his violet eyes boring into Takuma.

Takuma shifted around uncomfortably and nodded, not daring to meet Kenshin's eyes. Kenji's dad was scary!

"Why?" asked Kenshin softly.

"His hair's funny," said Takuma wretchedly.

"My hair is funny too. Why don't you pick on me?" asked Kenshin shortly.

Takuma couldn't answer under Himura-san's piercing gaze.

"You are nothing more than a coward and a bully. After all that's happened, will you continue to torment him even now?" asked Kenshin.

Takuma shook his head, tears welling in his eyes.

"I won't do it ever again, Himura-san. I swear. I'll be real good to Kenji-kun if he lives," sobbed Takuma.

"He'll live. Megumi-dono got to him in time," said Kenshin.

"He's gonna be OK?" asked Takuma, finally gathering the courage to look into Himura-san's eyes.

Kenshin nodded stiffly.

"Thank you, Himura-san," said Takuma softly.

"Don't thank me. Thank Kenji when he's well again," said Kenshin, his gaze softening the tiniest bit. He could forgive Takuma. He could even like the boy. But his worry for Kenji wouldn't permit Kenshin to be warm to Takuma right now. After Kenji woke up, it would be easier.

---
Kenji was kept at the clinic overnight for observation. Kenshin sent a reluctant Kaoru home and stayed at the clinic with his son, sleeping on the bed with Kenji in his arms.

Kenji's blue eyes opened as the sun shone on them through the window the next morning. The first thing he become aware of was being held in a strong and warm embrace. Dad. Only Dad felt this warm. He looked into his father's sleeping face and saw the worry lines around his eyes.

"Dad," whispered Kenji, tugging his father's hair gently.

Kenshin's eyes opened as he stirred to wakefulness. His gaze locked with his son's, bringing a smile to his face.

"Good morning, son of mine," he said with a smile, hugging the boy to him.

"What happened?" asked Kenji.

"You took the snake bite meant for your classmate and your teacher brought you here. You're going to be fine," said Kenshin, smiling for the first time since hearing about what happened.

After Megumi gave them some breakfast, Kenshin carried his son home with orders from the doctor to keep him in bed for two more days. Kenji wouldn't return to school for a week while he regained his strength. Kenji couldn't say he was sorry not to go back there for a bit.

---
While Kenji recovered at home, he had visitors. First came Touru, much to Kenji's delight. She brought several get-well gifts as well as makeup work, which Kenji received with less enthusiasm. The two children had a great time playing and reading together in Kenji's room.

"When can you come back to school, Kenji-kun?" asked Touru.

"On Monday," said Kenji.

"That's good. I miss our games during recess," said Touru.

"Me too," said Kenji, blushing.

---
Kenshin slid open the front door and saw Takuma standing and trembling. Feeling more relaxed now that Kenji was on the mend, he smiled kindly at Takuma. Takuma, seeing that Kenji's dad wasn't scary anymore, stopped trembling and returned a small smile.

"Hello Takuma-chan. How are you?" said Kenshin softly.

"I'm well. Thank you Himura-san," returned Takuma, bowing.

"I assume you're here to see Kenji. Come inside and wait in the living room. I'll tell him you're here," said Kenshin.

"Thank you, Himura-san," said Takuma meekly.

Kenji at Mom's insistance, was doing a bit of makeup work. He had sensed Takuma's ki outside. As he expected, he sensed his dad's ki at his door.

"C'mon in," he called before Kenshin could even wrap.

Kenshin grinned to himself and slid the door open, stepping into the room.

"Hiyoshi Takuma is here. Do you want to see him, or not?" said Kenshin.

Kenji considered for a moment.

"I'll see him," he said.

Kenji nodded and Kenshin went back to the front to admit the little penitent.

Takuma entered Kenji's room and found the red-haired boy sitting up against a cushion. Kenji read his ki and sensed no hostility or malice, those having been supplanted by guilt and sorrow. Takuma stood rigid and trembling. What was there to say to the boy whose life he'd made a living hell since school had started and who had then saved his life with no hesitation? Takuma felt his throat tighten. Abruptly, he bowed himself low to the ground.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. "I'm so sorry, Kenji-kun. I'm sorry for everything. I'm a goldfish turd."

Kenji didn't really know what to think. Not a day had gone by without a nasty word or a glare from Hiyoshi Takuma. Yet here he was, sincerely apologizing and asking forgiveness. Dad had always taught Kenji that it was best to forgive one's enemies when they asked and leave the past in the past. This was more honorable than the old ways of seeking revenge, which simply led to blood for blood, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. Kenji let out a small sigh.

"Get up, Takuma," he said.

Takuma sat up and looked down at his hands.

"I'll forgive you if you make me a promise," said Kenji.

"Anything," said Takuma.

"Stop being a goldfish turd. I can't forgive you if you stop picking on me just cuz I saved your life and then start picking on some other kid cuz you don't like their hair or whatever," said Kenji.

"I promise," said Takuma. "I won't be a goldfish turd anymore. I'll never pick on anyone again."

"On your honor?" asked Kenji.

"Yes! Yes, on my honor," said Takuma, gathering his courage and looking Kenji in the eye.

"OK, I forgive you," said Kenji.

Takuma bowed down again.

"Thank you. Thank you," he whispered.

Kenji sighed.

"Would you quit it? That's annoying," he said irritably.

Takuma snapped back into sitting up position.

"Sorry," he said softly.

Takuma reached into his pocket and pulled out a small get-well gift for Kenji.

"Thanks," said Kenji.

At first there was an awkward silence between Kenji and Takuma. Takuma still felt too ashamed to really speak to Kenji. Kenji found the silence annoying, so he started questioning Takuma about the goings-on at school.

"So what's been happening at school?" he asked.

"There are two new kids at school who look exactly alike," said Takuma. "Kyoran Hao and Tao. They kept switching places and fooling Fukushita-sensei yesterday."

"Wow. I can't wait to meet them," said Kenji excitedly.

"Want me to bring 'em by tomorrow?" asked Takuma.

"Yeah," said Kenji. It'd be great to meet a set of twins. The only other set of twins he knew were Tae and Sae, but they were seldom together as Sae lived in Kyoto.

After that icebreaker, Kenji and Takuma felt more natural around each other. They spent the rest of the hour looking at Kenji's books and complaining about the copious amounts of work that Fukushita-sensei doled out to the student body.

By the time Takuma left for home, he felt as though a weight had been lifted from his shoulders. He'd atone for the sin of tormenting Kenji by being a good friend to him and by never tormenting another kid again. Being mean just didn't pay.