Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Prisoner of War ❯ All Was Gray ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Okay everyone, here's the next chapter.

Disclaimer: Is this part ever interesting? I don't own them.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))

Kaoru nearly floated home. The cold didn't seem to bother her at all. She could still feel the warmth of Kenshin's mouth. She had kissed him and kissed him. She was all at once addicted to his flavor. Just like everything else about him, it was a taste that could only be described by using his name. She likened it to a rare fruit that one doesn't realize they want until they have had it. Except Kaoru had realized. The young wife had wanted to partake in him for a very long time. In fact, but for her loyalties to her husband, she would have taken those sweet full lips the day she washed the blood off of his body and dressed his wounds. He was so marvelous. She giggled in the semi-darkness. The wind blew her loose hair across her face. She tried to push it out of her way, but the wind was persistent. It was also a bit colder than before. Her hair was becoming bothersome, blocking her sight. She stumbled toward her home. When she reached the relative safety of her porch, she turned around. The sun had started to rise behind the clouds sending a gray light over the landscape. It seemed to have robbed everything of its color. Dark gray trees stood with a few gray leaves that refused to fall. A light gray shore met a gray lake that was beating it with white tipped waves. The world was lifeless and without brilliance. There were no crickets mourning the ending of the night. There were no birds announcing the joyous return of the dawn. There was only quiet and gray. Suddenly, the chill in the air became very apparent to Kaoru. It made her nervous, and she wrapped her arms around herself to try and keep it out. She didn't like the view as it was, and she found herself wishing for some color. But there was no blue, no green, only the flat vapid gray. Then her thoughts turned to Kenshin. Nothing could take the brightness from his red hair or the soft radiance from his violet eyes. Even in the dreariest of scenes, he would stand like a beacon. Kaoru turned and slid open the door, happy in that small reassurance. She walked in with her head held high and a smile on her face, then slid the door shut. The sound of it wouldn't normally have been loud, but it shattered the silence. As if the sky was showing its disapproval, snow began to fall.

Kenshin had not even closed his eyes except to revel in the memory of Kaoru's lips since she left. They knew that she had to go home to her husband, or he would be very angry with her. So, Kenshin just sat and waited. But the sun had risen and breakfast had been brought to the other patients, and there was no Kaoru. The door at the end of the room opened, and Kenshin turned to greet the arrival expectantly. It was only a nurse though. Kenshin sighed. He had no idea where she could be. She had never been this late in the mornings before. His mind began to wander to things that may have happened. Did she make it home all right? Was there some unseen danger that detained her? Kenshin was startled by his neighbor's laughter. It was a low snicker, like he was in on a joke that Kenshin wasn't. He turned away and rose from the bed. He felt like water might calm his nerves, and he promptly went to get some. He sat in his bed for a few more hours, deeply upset by Kaoru's absence. The door of the hospital opened again, and again an expectant Kenshin was disappointed. It was Aoshi this time, returning as promised. He walked forward without uttering a word to anybody. He had such presence. It kept all the others in the room staring at him. Kenshin simply let out another sad sigh and awaited his approach. It was then that he noticed the girl behind him. She must have been sixteen or seventeen, although he would have placed her as younger if she did not have a child holding her hand, another in her arm, and a third still awaiting its arrival in the world. Her hair was pulled back in a black braid that hung down past her hips. She was smiling happily as she walked behind the imposing man. She wore a traditional kimono, and it fit her perfectly. She seemed the exact opposite of the man whose children she had obviously bore. The laughing youngsters had his eyes and her smile. They reached his bed and Kenshin bowed his head for a moment as a gesture of respect.

"Kenshin, I have come as I said I would."

"I never expected otherwise, Aoshi." The girl came from behind him and smiled even more broadly.

"Let me present to you my beautiful wife, Misao. She was pleased to hear that she would be visiting you." She bowed her head to him without releasing either child.

"I am happy to meet you, Kenshin."

"As am I, Miss Misao." She laughed at him.

"What is it?"

"I have never seen a man like you before. I think I like it. Give him the gift, Aoshi." Aoshi looked at her reproachfully as he pulled something from within his coat. Misao presented him with each of their children.

"This is Hiko, and this is Sakura. We haven't picked a name for the new one yet. Perhaps Tokei, I'm not sure." Kenshin did not really hear what she was saying, nor did he care about the chubby little hands that grabbed at his hakama. He was only seeing that Aoshi was right. Misao did remind him very much of Kaoru, and it made his heart ache.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))) ))))))))))))

A/N: Okay my friends, I have a challenge for you. Please critically analyze this story. I want to know if my symbolism is apparent and if my themes are developing enough for them to be readily accessible. Please review and ask me questions. It helps my writing.