Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Return of the Rooster ❯ I Got a Train to Catch ( Epilogue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sano ran to the Oguni clinic as fast as his long legs could carry him. It was times like these he wished he had Kenshin's shinsoku. Desperate to get to Megumi, Sano kicked the door in and ran into the building.

"Megumi! Megumi!" he called, looking in each room for her. Just then the old doctor came out of the back room, wanting to see what all the racket was.

"Oh Sanosuke," he said in surprise.

"Where is she Gramps!" asked Sano, his eyes wild with desperation.

"If you mean Megumi, she packed her things up and headed for the train station. She was in a terrible mood when she came in, so I didn't dare ask what was going on," said Oguni-sensei.

"Shit!" said Sano, turning on his heel and running through the broken front door.

"Hey! You owe this clinic a new door!" called Oguni-sensei after the disappearing Rooster.

"Just put it on my tab!" Sano called over his shoulder as he ran to Shinbashi station.

---
Shinbashi Station

Sano got to the train station just in time to see Megumi board the passenger car. Sano knocked off a couple conductors trying to hold him back from the train as it started to take off and jumped onto the car, prying the door open with all his strength he pushed his way inside and started forward.

Sano went down the aisle, looking right and left among the bewildered passengers staring at him. Then he saw her, on the left side sitting by the windows. His heart stopped for just a second, then he pushed forward.

Megumi looked up when she saw Sano's looming presence standing over her. The next moment, that looming presence was on its knees as a beseeching presence.

"What the hell are you doing here?" she asked.

"I shouldn'tve gone off with that hooker. I was an idiot. I didn't get what being in a relationship meant, but I do now," said Sano.

"Oh, you figured that out in two hours, did you?" said Megumi sarcastically.

"I had some help," admitted Sano. "Look Megumi, isn't there any way to make this up? I swear I'll never even look at another woman again. Just gimme another chance."

"Do you even know what being in a relationship involves, Sano? Somehow I don't think you do," said Megumi sadly.

Sano wasn't a soft or clever man, but he could repeat Kenshin's words.

"It's loving each other more than our own lives. It's being partners and trusting each other with our lives and putting all of ourselves into our relationship," said Sano, looking up at Megumi.

"Did you read that off a matchbook cover?" said Megumi.

"It don't matter where I read it. It's what I really feel. I shouldn'ta gotten drunk and gone off with that hooker. And... and I would care if you slept with another guy. I'd wanna kill him. I just know that I really liked the time we spent together and I don't think I can live without you Vixen," said Sano, his words falling over each other in his desperation to appease her.

"You broke my heart Sanosuke. I'd like to forgive you, but how can I ever trust you again?" said Megumi.

"I swear on my life Megumi... it'll never happen again. That's all I can do. C'mon lemme me make this up. Please?" said Sano.

Megumi considered. She really did love being around Sano. Somehow his childish and impulsive behavior made her feel young and carefree too. Sano was obviously an idiot who didn't know anything about how to behave in a relationship and had to be taught from scratch, not so different from housebreaking a puppy.

"There's one thing you can do. Since you're already on the train, come with me to Aizu and meet my brother. If we're going to formally court, you should seek his permission since he stands in my father's place," said Megumi.

"Okay, Medicine Box. I'll do anything you want," said Sano.

"Then it's settled. And stop calling me Medicine Box!" said Megumi.

Just then, the conductor came up.

"Sir, do you have a ticket?" he asked.

Sano grinned sheepishly at Megumi, who rolled her eyes and pulled out her change purse to buy a ticket for Sano.

"How 'bout some grub too?" asked Sano hopefully.

"Don't push your luck, Rooster," said Megumi, putting the change purse away.

---
One week later.
Tokyo, Kamiya Dojo

Kaoru came flying into the dojo carrying a letter. Kenshin looked up from playing with Kenji when he was how ecstatic his wife was.

"It's a letter from Sanosuke!" said Kaoru, blue eyes shining with excitement.

"Oro? Where's he been?" said Kenshin.

"He's in Aizu! He and Megumi are trying to patch things up and he's working on gaining her brother's approval to become engaged to her. I'll read it," said Kaoru.

"Dear Kenshin and Jou-chan,

Sorry for taking off like I did. I just had to get to Megumi. I got on the train with her and told her I was sorry for what happened and she told me to come to Aizu with her. I'm not sure how long I'm gonna be here, but I need to get my head on straight and get some shit done right.

Saranou's a nice enough guy, but he's a real hard-ass when it comes to stuff like responsibility and working hard. I'm working in the medical clinic doing the cleaning, filing and record-keeping. It's kinda weird working, but you know what, it's not as bad as I thought it'd be. If it lands me with the Vixen, it's worth it in the end.

I hope me and the Vixen can come back down to Tokyo real soon to see you guys again, but for now Aizu's home. Thanks for everything, Kenshin. If me and the Vixen have a son, I'm naming him after you.

Take care and be safe.

Sagara Sanosuke"

Kaoru folded up the letter. Both she and Kenshin were dumbstruck. Sanosuke was in Aizu. Sanosuke was working. Sanosuke was working... Kenshin and Kaoru both passed out cold. Kenji looked at his unconscious parents.

"Mommy? Daddy? Are you sleeping?" he asked.

No answer. Kenji shrugged his shoulders. If he couldn't beat them, he might as well join them. After retrieving his stuffed rooster from his bedroom, he snuggled up between his unconscious parents, closed his eyes and drifted off. Kenshin and Kaoru dreamed about Sano scrubbing floors, sweeping and doing record keeping. Even in their dreams, it was an unbelievable sight.

~~Owari~~