Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Sano the Swordsman ❯ Sano the Swordsman ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Sano the Swordsman
 
(Sanosuke)
 
By kougayurizoku
 
Sagara Sanosuke stifled a yawn with his bandaged right hand and rested his back against the wall of the Kamiya Dojo.
 
“Hyaa!” With beads of sweat pouring down his face, Myoujin Yahiko took a step and lunged toward Kaoru with his shinai. She dodged it easily and spun on her heels to rap him on the head with her own wooden sword.
 
Placing her hands on her hips, she sighed. “Yahiko, your defense is down again. How many times do I have to remind you?” she asked with a frown.
 
“Aaw, shut up tanuki,” he muttered under his breath.
 
Kaoru scowled and bonked him on the head again. “I heard that, Yahiko!”
 
Sano sighed and rolled his eyes. It looked like they were at it again. Almost everyday this overly energetic pair would break into a fight over practically nothing. Pretty soon, Kenshin would come in to distract them enough for them to stop, as always. He lazily glanced at the closed shoji and waited.
 
Sure enough, Kenshin appeared within thirty seconds. “Yahiko, Kaoru-dono, lunch is ready,” he announced with a warm smile.
 
“Yoshi, Kenshin's cooking is the best!” Yahiko shouted, jumping to his feet and racing to the kitchen. Kaoru smiled lovingly discreet way at Kenshin and went to join Yahiko before he could eat all the food.
 
“You're welcome to join us, Sano, of course,” Kenshin acknowledged his best friend with his classical Rurouni smile.
 
Sano nodded. “Yeah, I would have joined you with or without the invite, but I'll be there in a minute,” he said. Kenshin nodded and went to join his housemates for lunch.
 
He waited until he heard all three of their voices in the kitchen before shoving himself to his feet and walking to the center of the dojo. He abandoned Yahiko's abandoned shinai curiously. He'd always wondered what it would be like to fight with anything but his fists. Sure he'd used the Zanbatou for a time; that was how he'd gotten his dangerous nickname, “Zanza.” A sword was different, though, not to mention a lot smaller.
 
Bending over, he snatched it up in one hand and mimicked Yahiko's hand positions on the hilt. He lifted it over his head and swung down hard. Liking the feeling, he did it again. And again. And again.
 
`I think I'm gittin the hang of this…' he thought, grinning confidently. `No wonder Kenshin makes it look so easy. It is!'
 
Quiet snickering tore him from his thoughts and he turned his eyes quickly to the doorway. Yahiko, Kaoru and Kenshin were all standing there, watching him. Kenshin smiled piteously at him as Kaoru and Yahiko burst into hysterics.
 
“That was horrible, Sanosuke!” Yahiko shouted, pointing at him through his maniacal laughter. Kaoru nodded her agreement.
 
“Seriously, Sanosuke, you should just stick to using your fists,” she told him.
 
“Sh-shut up,” he muttered, shoving past them to the kitchen.
 
His face was still red as he walked back to the Gorotsuki Long House an hour later.