Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Silver Wings ❯ I Met the Angel ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Silver Wings

Summary- Kaoru stood, letting the silver take over. It was calling her name and she wasn't going to let it go. Kenshin called, trying to get her attention. Kaoru has an amazing secret that no one knows of. One day she meets Kenshin and it all changes. KxK

"Imagination is more important than knowledge.
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."

-Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Kaoru stood there looking at the blackness of night, the silver moon spreading its magic onto the land. Trees blocked its silver magic from the lone world below, not knowing the troubles it would cause. She looked down at a delicate hand, her eyes filling with more pearly tears. Her hand gripping the dirt with a fist she loathed. It was a fist of anger and hate of sadness. Being alone, for many, was an accomplishment but to her it was a burden to her very soul. Like a graceful angered crane, she dipped her hands into the water of the rippling stream, washing the brown dirt form her hands and face.

More tears fell to the ground from the delicate face. Kaoru wished that one day her destiny would just go away to make room for a happier destiny. One filled with smiles and laughter. One filled with caring people: friends. Friends was what she needed. Ones to love and care for her. To stay with her through thick and thin. She smiled bitterly at the thought, giving an angry scream. None of that could be hers, life was filled with surprises. She had many. They weren't good surprises. No, they were those kind that would leave you speechless and angry at the world. Ones that would make you loathe the world with your very soul.

An empty feeling settled in her stomach. It moaned with such intensity. Signals was what it was giving off. Signals that it was hungry and needed food. Kaoru held onto her her stomach as she got up form her spot, standing weakly with her eyes cast forward into the darkness. Her eyes caught a firefly. It gave off such an intense light, it made Kaoru squint with discomfort. Her eyes weren't used to such a soothing light. The firefly flew lazily in the weightless air, flickering its mellow light for all to see.

She played with the silk of her obi string, watching the firefly fly into a nearby bush. Another bitter smile graced her face as she walked the dirt path that led to the dojo. Kamiya Dojo is what was locals called her home. It was place to learn the art of swordsmanship. She lived and trained there her whole life. Her mom taught her the gracefulness of a dancer while she was alive. She taught her how to be a proper lady while her father taught her the ways of the sword, not caring if she acted lady-like or not. He treated her like any other boy student.

Her steps were slow and silent as she reached the outside fence of the dojo. The steps were trained, light as a feather. It was like she was walking on nothing at all. Sandled feet tore into the grass that surrounded the front gate. She looked at it for a moment recalling laughs form her past. A laugh of an innocent child and two loving adults. Another tear formed in her eye as she looked across the path to a field of flowers and sakura trees. The moon reflected it's light on the petals of each flower, making them glow silver and white. Kaoru saw a little girl with flowing black hair and big indigo eyes catch a small black ball. She smiled big, letting a pale blue yukata be caught in the breeze as her laughed rang in the night and through Kaoru's ear.

It was a memory. A happy one. She smiled to the girl who was her at five years. And she waved back and ran. Then disappearing as Kaoru turned to the gate and took the wooden plank out of it's position, laying it inside the gate as she walked through to the court yard of her home. Everything smelt like her mom. Jasmine. The smell she used to bathe in. Kaoru shut the gate letting the thump of it fill her ears as she went into the living area of the dojo.

She opened the shoji to her room and looked at the fluton on the floor. She didn't bother to fold it. There was no need. Kaoru lay down and stared to the darkness that surrounded her. Soon enough her eyes became heavy as she went into a restless sleep. She hadn't bothered to change into a yukata. No one was going to see her anyways.

The next morning a noon sun filled her small room, making her moan.

"Just five more minuets mom." she groaned, stretching her long, slender arms in the air.

She lifted herself up, looking out the window. Her eyes became wide at how low the sun was. Once again she over slept. Now the daily chores were going to be way behind. Kaoru sighed and ran to her western dresser and grabbed her training outfit: a white gi and a navy hakama. She slipped out of her kimono and obi in record time. Tossing them to her dirty clothes pile, she took off the dirty cotton cloth that bounded her chest together, grabbing another from the dresser and tied it quickly. The hakama was easy, she slipped that on after she had her gi. The knot was fastened and the gi settled on her frail fingure and she trotted over to her mirror and combed her hair in place and tied it with a random indigo ribbon.

Kaoru grabbed her money and ran out of the gate, closing it and after five minutes of running she found herself in the busy markets of Tokyo. Her eyes set on the Akabecko. It was her first stop. You needed a good breakfast to do daily chores and beef stew was the best you could get. Kaoru smiled as she walked into the entrance and let herself be guided to a table by a waitress. Kaoru had gotten the last empty table in the whole place. Today was the day of the Sakura Festival so it wasn't that big of a surprise.

"Kaoru, want the normal?" The waitress asked.

Kaoru smiled up to the young woman, gathering her thoughts to answer.

"Yeah. Thanks Miss Tae" She replied and looked at the entrance.

"Alright, One Kao Usual," she yelled into the kitchen.

"What, now it has a special name?" Kaoru asked, laughing slightly.

"Yep. Just for you, Kaoru." Tae said and went to the entrance to greet another person.

Who ever they were, he looked very weak. Kaoru looked at him through the many people that was there. His hair caught her eyes as she took a dazed expression on her face. It was fire red with bangs shaping his almost perfect face. A magenta gi blocked most of his small frame from the world. The white hakama complimented his golden skin and the gi had a big slit that gave off a view to his well-built chest. On his left cheek was a scar that took the image of a cross. He looked very odd. At the belt of his hakama, hung a sword, and Kaoru knew he was who she thought him to be. The Battousi.

She smirked and eyed the man when Tae talked to him. He smiled and then looked at her direction. Kaoru noticed she was staring and looked at her cup of steaming tea she had just noticed. She took a sip of it and watched Tae and the Battousi from the corner of her eye. The liquid filled her parched mouth with warmth. Kaoru kept the cup at her nose and smelt it sighing in a new found comfort.

Tae stared at her for a moment and chuckled. She looked back to her her friend and pointed out Kaoru's table.

"It's all we have left. I hope you don't mind the company." Tae explained.

"It's alright Miss Tae. Do you know her?" He asked, not really knowing the reason.

He had noticed her staring at him blankly. Her gaze penetrated him and his face. His hand dropped to his side as he followed Tae to the table the woman sat at.

"Yeah. Her name's Kaoru Kamiya." She said when they got to the table.

Kaoru looked up at Tae. Then she gasped when she saw him. Her face became as red as his fury hair. A smile graced his lips as he took a seat at the far end of the table. It was by a wondow so he gazed out that instead of the woman at the other end of the table. His violet eyes were clouded in thought. Tae giggled and left to get the orders. She already knew what Kenshin wanted.

Kenshin felt Kaoru's eyes on his scar. He was curious as to what the woman was thinking. Did she knew he was the former Battousi? He smiled kindly when he felt her gaze traveled to his lips.

Kaoru knew he knew that she was staring at him, when he smiled. It was a very kind smile not one of the Battousi. It was gentle. He looked like a rurouni. Maybe her thoughts were wrong? She wanted to start a conversation to the guest Tae put at her table. She understood fully that the resturant was full and her table could fit one more. That's why she let Kenhsin here.

"Hello." She said, silencing the deafening silence.

Kenshin looked at her fully. He inwardly gasped. She was breathtaking. Midnight hair in a indigo ribbon with wondrous eyes. It was a unmatched beauty and gentleness, her face was. Her bangs framed her forehead and she had delicate cheek bones that made her look like a princess. Her body looked trained but frail. The creamy skin of hers, glistened from the sun that came form the window. Kenshin smiled and laid his sheathed sword, that was in his hands, at his side.

"Hello Miss Kaoru. Miss Tae had told me your name, that she did" He explained.

"What's your's? "Kaoru inquired, looking at his face.

"Kenshin Himura," he quietly said.

He knew that she would know who he was in the past. He awaited dejection at the possible friend he could've had.

"No way!" Kaoru said, stunned,"Himura the Battousi?"

"In the past. I don't go by that name no more, that i don't. I made a vow, that I did." Kenshin replied, bowing his head, waiting for dejection.

"Vow for what?" She asked, her voice completely in a caring tone

It was unlike Kaoru to take liking to a stranger so fast. But this man was different. Maybe he was the answer she wanted .The answer to never be alone again.

"To never kill again." Kenshin whispered and kept his ruouni mask on with his head still bowed too.

"Well if that's so then where do you live?" She asked, curious now.

She wanted to see if he had a place to stay if he didn't she'll ask her to stay at her dojo. She had plenty of room for many people.

"I'm a rurouni. I go all over Japan. I really don't have a home" He explained.

Kaoru smiled brillantly.

"Would you want place to stay and freshen up? Maybe even a home?" Kaoru asked, more excited than ever.

"That would be nice, that it would. But I couldn't impose on such--" Kenshin was interrupted by Kaoru's peppy voice.

"Then it's settled. You can stay to my dojo. I have plenty of room and would love the company." Kaoru said.

"I couldn't ask such a thing." Kenshin whispered and looked down.

"No it's fine! No one else stays there and I have no students. It'd be great. I'm all alone there and I really need a friend. Please?" Kaoru pouted.

"But my past. I would put you in danger." Kenshin reasoned with her. He already knew she wouldn't take no for an answer.

"I don't care about your past. I accept the rurouni to stay and on one else. Please Kenshin," She pleaded, pouting like a five year old would.

Kenshin looked at her and noted her pout. He couldn't resist such a cute face.

"Fine But on one condition." He gave in.

Kaoru's face lightened up. She smiled big and bright. Her mind screamed, 'Yes at last!', and she beamed at Kenshin waiting for him to go on.

"I get to do house work to repay your kindness." Kenshin explained, resting his head on his rough hand.

"What ever you want. Thank you so much," She lept over the table and hugged Kenshin tightly.

She seemed to be a very friendly girl with a lot of energy. Kenshin smiled and oroed a bit when she hugged him. Kaoru pulled back quickly when Tae came to the table with their breafast. Well it was Kaoru's breakfast and Kenshin''s lunch.

Kenshin looked at her as she put her gaze on the beef stew, laying a delicate hand over her chopsticks. She picked them up, bracing one on the thumb and the other between her index and middle fingers. Kaoru raised an eyebrow and sighed as she began to pick out bits of onion. A small frown appeared on her face when she picked out a really big piece of onion.

"I thought I told Tae that I didn't like onions in my soup." She mumbled to herself while picking out the last onion.

Kenshin looked down in his soup, grabbing his chopsticks and pocking the random vegetables or pieces of beef he saw. He moved the chopsticks in a circle motion, eyeing every ingredient that was stuck in it. All of it was there except the onion. Kenshin recalled Kaoru's statement and chuckled to himself.

Kaoru noticed that Kenshin was searching his soup. She looked at him curiously, while she picked a piece of beef up and stuffed it into her mouth. She chewed and swallowed and grabbed another. Kenshin just shrugged and looked at Kaoru.

"Miss Tae got our lunches mixed up, that she did." Kenshin said.

Kaoru chewed quickly while laying her chopsticks cdown. No wonder she had onions in her soup. This was very unlike Tae.

"Oh, she did. We can't switch now I'm almost finished. Sorry Kenshin." Kaoru apologized.

She sipped up the rest of the liquid in the tiny bowl and smiled brightly to Kenshin. The warm, comforting feeling settled in her stomach as she sighed and looked at Kenshin. He was eating very quickly but he never spilled a drop. He finished in five minuets and grabbed a small sack he had in his gi. His hand emerged form it with two golden objects, laying them on the wood table.

"Two yen will leave a good tip and pay for both meals, that it will." Kenshin mumbled cheerfully as he used his hand to guide himself to the main floor.

"Kenshin Let me pay for my meal." Kaoru said stubbornly, giving a yen back to Kenshin.

Kenshin looked at her while she grabbed her pouch full with very many yen and laid one down on the table, getting out and walked right beside of Kenshin.

"Miss Kaoru I--"

"Iie"

"Miss Kaoru, le--"

"Iie"

"But please--"

"NO!"

She turned to him and frowned. Her hair flung gracefully to her waist as she turned herself. Kenshin backed away, quite scared of his new friend. Her face was very stern as she walked backwards out of the entrance of the restaurant. Her sandled feet padded against the wooden porch and her eyes locked with his as he followed quite close just in case if she fell. But he did keep a respectful distance.

"Kenhin I said no because you are a friend. I don't know you but I trust you. You see the thing is my friends never pay for a meal for me. I'm just like that." Kaoru said.

Her face softened and she put her pouch back into her gi. Kenshin smiled and nodded in complete understanding. They walked off the porch and made way to the market place.

Kenshin walked behind her with a silly grin on his face and his eyes as big as ever. People littered the streets and made him loose site of her for a moment but he saw her again. He ran to catch up with as she headed to a bench that was by a fish restaurant. The smell filled his and Kaoru's noses. He stood in front of her and was curious as to why she had stopped walking. They only needed to go a bit further. This reminded him of yesterday wen he stopped at this very bench. He needed to rest because he was tired. Kenshin smiled and brought his hands into the sleeves of his gi as he stared at Kaoru.

Chattering of people inside the restaurant ceased when they saw the red hair of the person outside. They knew who it was and hoped he wasn't here to stir trouble. Whispers from passerby filled his ears at a few moments. He just stood there, smiling innocently, waiting for Kaoru.

"Not again.... Kenshin?" Kaoru asked looking at him.

"Yes Miss Kaoru?" he replied looking at her intently.

"Um, is tonight the full moon?" She inquired, "I mean not to sound stupid. I just need to know."

"Yes it is. Is there anything wrong?" He whispered, kneeling in front of her. He was a bit closer now.

"I think we should go to he dojo. I'll go shopping later." Kaoru said hurriedly grabbing Kenshin and running to the dojo.

She had to get home and hide it. Soon Kenshin would see her in a way she never wanted. Her secret was going to be out if he knew what was going on. Her ivory hand let go when he got the message to just follow her and not say a word. He was curious as to what was going on. Why is she acting so strange?

Kenshin ran slower than he would've liked to. The pace Kaoru had was way more slow. They zig zagged through many people from all around Japan. Each were shocked as to why they acted so rude. He sighed when they had finally reached a path. In the distance was the rushing river with a very elegant wooden bridge that cast it's reflection on the graceful water. Kaoru nodded and began walking slower. She was acting very strange. We followed the dirt path to the bridge an she paused again, going over to the decorated railing, tucking her arms under her chest. She sighed and let her eyes gaze at her reflection in the water. A sigh escaped her lips when I went beside her and bent slightly over the railings.

She looked up unclenching a fist and letting something drop into the water below. It floated in the air back and fourth, casting an elegant silver sparkle form it's narrow shape. It was a feather, a silver one, that gleamed in the sun's midday rays. It slowly made way on the water causing many ripples to form on the calm waters. Kenshin's eyes looked over at a stiff Kaoru. Her mouth was open wide in an increasing shock. Her arms were at her sides and a gentle breeze picked sending her hair into a fury cover around her face. She never bothered to move the silken strands. A concern as big as the world filled him as he gazed at her form.

"The feather. That wasn't supposed to be seen." She whispered as a tear came form her eye. "Kenshin let's get to the dojo. I have to do something"

Kenshin looked at her, now very worried.

"Follow me. We're only a few steps away." She mumbled and walked letting the dried sand flow and stick to her white socks.

It was true. We stopped at a gate that was that of a dojo's. It was old and worn and the white paint on the walls and shingles peeled. Kenshin could tell it was old but still in quite good shape. Kaoru opened the gate, letting it squeak and they walked in. The smell of Jasmine was strong and flowers littered almost all of the green grass. There was was wooden well and a washbin full of dirty water. Everything was quite dusty and needed a good days cleaning.

Kaoru walked in to a room that was most likely hers. She motioned for Kenshin to follow. Her room was as if she had always kept it some what clean. Clothes littered on corner, giving off the odor of stink and jasmine. Her fluton was in the middle of the large room. It was as if some one had just slept in it. He could tell by the wrinkled covers and messed up pillow. Karu sat on the fluton taking off her gi. Kenshin looked down and blushed looking away immediately.

"Kenshin it's alright."

Kenshin sweat dropped and shook his head. What was she thinking?! He was almost a perfect stranger and she wanted him to see her with no top on.

"Miss Kaoru I can't. I mean that's not right, that it isn't" Kenshin stammered for the right words.

"No look. It's important. Now look!" Kaoru yelled, getting very angry.

Kenshin looked up and gasped. What was that?! Rather, what was she?!

How was it? Was it good or bad? I need answers. I had fun writng it please review and I'll update really soon!

Diclaimer: I don't own Rurouni Kenshin and mak not one profit form this story.

Sakura Hopes