Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Someone To Watch Over Me ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
My cousin said I have a mature writing style. Aww, I'm so happy she thinks so. :)
Someone to Watch Over Me; Chap:6
gathered Megumi up in a fierce hug, which Megumi returned with equal fervor.
its so good to see you again." She whispered into his shoulder.
good to see you too, Megumi-chan."
blinked back a few tears as she pulled away from their embrace.
cry Megumi. Its stupid to cry.' She smiled when she noticed Toki's eyes were slightly misty too. 'Well, it has been a long time since we've seen each other, so I guess its alright.'
colored slightly when she heard Sano exageratedly clear his throat. 'Oh no. I totally forgot about him. Poor Sano.' She snuck a glance over at him. He was looking over in the other direction.
Not like he would care anyway. It would probably only bruise his ego a little bit.' She flipped her hair over her shoulder in an effort to regain her composure. She gestured toward Toki.
this is Etsuko Toki. He's an old friend of mine." Toki bowed politely.
fiercely glared at Toki, causing the young man to take a few steps back. 'A friend, huh?'
this is my- this is Sagara Sanosuke."
mind latched onto the word 'my'. 'My what? My friend? My baka tori-atama? My secret love interest?' Sano seriously doubted the last part of his thoughts; but it was a pleasant fantasy. Still, he would like to know =where= exactly he stood with her. The only comforting thought was that she considered him 'hers' in some way, thus meaning she had feelings for him.'D--- you Kitsune! Why didn't you finish the sentence!'

was jerked out of his thoughts to find Megumi looking up at him expectantly.
would like us to go in now."
let's not dissapoint 'Toki-kun'." Sano muttered under his breath.
narrowed her eyes. "What?"
heaved a sigh. "Nothing, let's just go."
started to bend down to pick her up, but Megumi put a hand on his shoulder and shook her head. She wanted the villagers first impression of her to be of a capable doctor rather than of a useless cripple. Sano nodded his head in understanding and reluctantly let go of her.
took a few steps forward then stumbled. Both Toki and Sano ran forward to catch Megumi.
furrowed his brows in worry. "Megumi-chan are you alright?"
fine Toki-kun. There was an accident on the way over here."
please allow Sagara-san and myself to help you."
grabbed her arm and set it over his neck as he wrapped his other arm around her waist. Sano bit back a yell of protest when he saw "Toki-kun" touching Megumi. She needed their help right now, not for him to go crazy with jealousy.
offered Toki a small smile. "Thank you Toki-kun."
what friends are for, ne?"
stopped short of the small cluster of buildings and self-conciously glanced at the few people she could see. Toki looked at her knowingly.
proud, eh Megumi-chan? Don't worry the people here are very nice. Most people won't think any less of you as a doctor if we help you in." He grinned. "And anybody who does isn't worth your time."
laughed softly. "Father used to say that."
grin widened. "Yes, he was a very wise man. So are you ready?"
took a deep breath, straightened her shoulders, and nodded her head.
father would be proud of you Megumi-chan." Toki wondered at the flash of pain in her eyes, but then figured she was remembering the loss of her father.
pointed to a medium-sized building. "We're using that building as the temporary clinic." He then pointed to a slightly larger building.
was the original clinic. We're using it for quarantine now. It's very fortunate that it wasn't destroyed in the fire; most of the other buildings were." He looked at Sano over Megumi's head.
you have any experience with contruction work Sagara-san?"
briefly nodded his head. "Some."
good, we need all the help we can get."
entered the clinic and Toki nodded toward the first door. "Let's take her in there."
laid her on the futon and Sano sat down next to her. Both Megumi and Toki looked at him quizically.
are staying Sagara-san?"
raised an eyebrow. "Is that a problem?" His voice held a threatening note in it.
course not. I don't mind if Megumi-chan doesn't."
of course not." Megumi said somewhat slowly. She was still trying to figure out why Sano would want to stay if he didn't have to help her anymore.
turned back to Megumi. "So where did this little 'accident' happen?"
the way over here, a man tried to...rape me." She swallowed to get the lump out of her throat. "Sano saved me, but the knife the man used to cut my obi stabbed into my right side when I tried to escape."
its a good thing Sagara-san was there or else it could have been worse." He smiled kindly. "Now if you don't mind, I'd like to take a look at your wound."
course not." Megumi started to remove her obi.
a minute." Sano took his shirt off and held it out to her. "Here."
are you doing?"
does it look like? I'm giving you my shirt to cover yourself with."
looked at him as if he had suddenly grown a third eye. "Why?"
I don't want some strange man seeing you!" The words where out before he could stop them and they caused him to blush furiously. Sano was determined not to back down however and continued to glare at Megumi, ignoring her shocked gaze.
take the d--- shirt woman!" He shoved it into her hands.
flashed in her eyes. "Don't you get all macho with me Sagara Sanosuke! I'm a grown woman who makes her own decisions! And don't, for one minute, think that you can tell me what to do!" She jabbed a finger at Toki. "And Toki-kun is NOT 'some strange man'! He is my oldest friend and a professional doctor! Besides, what do you care who sees me?" A little spark of hope had started to grow in her chest ever since he uttered those words. Perhaps he did have feelings for her. And if his irrational behavior was any indication, he might think of her as more than just a friend.
wear the shirt woman!" Real smart, now he was repeating himself. But what was he supposed to do? He couldn't risk telling her how he really felt. She would just laugh at him and say something spiteful. And as much as he pretended her words didn't hurt, deep down, they really did.
great comeback, now you're repeating yourself. I always thought you were a baka tori-atama but this just proves it." She saw the pain flash through his eyes and heard him suck in a sharp breath and instantly regretted her words. She really had gone too far that time. She desperately wanted to take away her words. She wanted to tell him that they weren't true, that she really thought he was an intelligent man.
she didn't.
she just flipped her hair over her shoulder and pretended she wasn't hurting right along with him.
coughed politely. "Perhaps I should wait outside until you finish this discussion." He started to back away towards the shoji.
They both yelled causing Toki to jump.
why don't you just wear the shirt?"
I don't mind if-"
out of this!" They both yelled again.
clamped his mouth shut; mentally reminding himself never to get involved in somebody else's fight again.
Megumi's voice was impatient, "we're wasting time. Stop being so childish."
the one that's being childish? I'm not the one refusing to do what I'm asked like some spoiled kid!"
am not acting like a spoiled child! And I already told you, you don't have any right to tell me what to do!"
not trying to tell you what to do. I'm just...argh!" Sano clenched his hair in his hands. "Forget it! Do whatever you want, I don't care anymore." He got up and stalked toward the shoji.
fun together." He said bitterly before firmly closing the shoji behind him.

sighed as she looked over at Kenshin and Koaru.
nice to see Kaoru-san and Kenshin-san so happy."
glanced back at Tsubame then continued skipping stones across the creek.
those two definately deserve it."
smiled wistfully. "I wonder if I'll ever be able to have that."
stilled as his heartbeat sped up slightly. Now was his chance to tell her how he felt!
All the words he was going to say turned to dust in his mouth when he turned to look at her. The sun was setting behind her, causing her to look as if she were glowing. She was smiling so brightly only the sun could rival it. What if he caused that smile to go away with his admission? He might ruin their friendship forever if she didn't feel the same way about him.
Tsubame looked at him expectantly.
turned back toward the creek. "Tsubame, I don't think you have to worry about that. I'm sure you're going to have lots of guys hanging around you trying to get a date once you're old enough." He smiled weakly, trying to hold in the pain and jealousy he felt just =thinking= about that.
you be one of them?" Tsubame slapped a hand over her mouth. Having Kaoru, Megumi, and Tae around had helped her become less shy, but still, she was not so bold as to purposely say that out loud. She had really only meant to think it.
don't have to answer that." What would he think of her now?
scratched the back of his head embarrasedly. "W-would you let me?" The look he gave her was half hopeful, half shy.
course."
I definatly would."
glad." Tsubame's smile, if possible, turned even brighter.
grinned widely. He had a girlfriend now! Well, sort of. They probably wouldn't date for a few more years, but their relationship had definately taken a step in a new direction.
decided to join Yahiko in skipping stones. She was actually pretty good at it. She bent down to pick up a stone, then stopped. She remembered one time when Kaoru-san wasn't cutting the vegetables quite right Kenshin-san had come up behind her and guided her hand, wrapping his arms around her in the process. Tsubame blushed, maybe she could get Yahiko to do the same with her. Passing over a good stone, she picked up a round one that would sink right to the bottom, no matter how well it was tossed.
awkwardly threw the stone with all of her might, watching the ripples form as it splashed in.
held back a snicker. "You're not using the right kind of stone. You want one that's flat and smooth." He picked one up and showed it to her. "Then you hold it like this and throw it." He expertly flicked his wrist.
picked up another stone and threw it at an odd angle, causing it to immediately fall in with a 'plop'.
more like this." He showed her again.
still didn't throw the next one right.
shook his head. "You're not throwing it at the right angle. You need to hold it more like this." He came up behind her and put one of his hands on her shoulder and positioned her hand with his other one. He took the opportunity to lean forward and smell her hair. It smelled like apple blossoms. "You, um, you throw it like this." He watched as the stone skipped across the creek then fell in.
you Yahiko-kun." She couldn't believe her plan had actually worked!
looked down at their still joined hands and blushed. "You, um, you should try it now." He drew his hand away from hers.
picked up another stone and threw it. It skipped much farther than Yahiko's did.
eyes widened. "You-you already know how to throw stones?"
nodded her head. "I've known for quite a long time actually."
frowned and turned away from her. "I don't need you to play the brainless female just to make me feel good about myself."
face fell. "I-I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I just wanted an excuse for you to hold me." She bit her lip. Would he think she was too bold admitting such a thing?
He blushed. "Okay." He could live with that. He turned back to her. "You don't have to make up excuses." He looked down shyly. "I'll hold you anytime you want me to."
eyes brightened. "Really?"
nodded his head.
you Yahiko-kun!" She glomped onto him causing the self-proclaimed 'Tokyo Samurai' to blush profusely.
Tsubame." He stammered as he hesitantly wrapped his arms around her. "Anytime."

giggled when Kenshin stifled a yawn behind his hand.
a real sleepyhead today. That's the third time in a row you've yawned."
I didn't get to sleep in like somebody else did this morning." He teased her.
know I don't have much of a lap right now, but you're welcome to lay your head down on what's there." She offered somewhat shyly as she stretched her legs out for him.
There's plenty of room Kaoru." He murmered as he settled his head on her lap. "Actually, this is very nice. Now I can be close to you and the baby." He lightly rubbed her stomach.
smiled. "I can't wait until the baby is born so I can hold it."
too." He moved his head up to peck her lips, then laid back down and closed his eyes.
sat silently as she stroked her husband's hair. She looked over at Tsubame and Yahiko and smiled. They really did make such a cute couple. She had thought about asking Kenshin to help Yahiko get over his shyness and admit to Tsubame how he felt about her. But considering how long it had taken Kenshin to admit to =her= how he felt, she didn't think he would really be much help. Kaoru sighed. It looked like she would have to give Tsubame some pointers on how to get Yahiko to admit how he felt.
eyebrows shot up as she saw Yahiko stand behind Tsubame to help her throw stones. She had seen Tsubame throwing stones before, the girl didn't need any help. Kaoru smiled widely. It looked like Tsubame could do just fine on her own.

finished wrapping the bandage around Megumi's wound and stood up to wash his hands.
I want you to stay in this room for the night. I'm afraid if you move know the stiches I put in might pull out."
Megumi absently replied. She played with a loose string on the sheet that covered her.
the matter Megumi-chan?"

knew better. "You are upset about the fight you had with Sagara-san." It was a statement, not a question.
immediate response was to deny the truth, but then she slowly nodded her head. "All we seem to do is argue."
it is obvious you love each other."
let out a short, mirthless laugh. "No, he doesn't like me very much."
cocked his head to the side. "It is hard not to like you Megumi-chan."
her voice was soft and full of grief, "I've changed since you last saw me. I've...done things I can never be forgiven for and that Sano is mad at me for."
right now I do not know the whole story, so it is not my place to judge. All I do know is that it is obvious that he has strong feelings for you. Why else would he travel to a place he has never been to help people he has never met?"
smiled softly. "He's like that. Always helping people who need help. Even strangers."
sounds like you have chosen a good man."
he is a very good man."
smiled and laid his hand over hers. "It is getting late Megumi-chan. You should rest now." He leaned forward to peck her on the cheek. "Oyasumi, Megumi-chan."
got up and walked to the door. Before he exited, he turned back to look at her. "Megumi-chan, I sense that Sagara-san has led a hard life too. Perhaps he is suffering from the same insecurities you are." And with that he left Megumi with many things to think about.
didn't get much sleep that night.

sorry about the long wait. My health has been acting up again.
here's the Y/T I promised. Hopefully I'll get to the A/M stuff next chap. :)
should let everybody know that the Y/T scene (where Yahiko is showing Tsubame how to skip rocks) isn't exactly original. I was inspired to write it after I read a similar scene in, "The Waitress and Her Samurai", by Story Weaver1. All credit should go to him. I didn't think to put up this disclaimer on the original update and that was very, very wrong of me. I sincerely apologize to Story Weaver1 and I hope he can forgive me. Please?
FANFIC: "All for Love" by M.Kosshaku, I've pretty much given up hope of it ever being updated, but what's there is still worth reading. :)
REVIEWERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> -- I'm glad you like it. :)
Turtle -- My, you have an interesting name. :) Let's hear it for Sano/Meg fics! YAY! :) Thanks. I'm glad you feel that way. I hope I didn't get too fluffy in this chap. (Drowning in fluff, I never thought of that before.) Yeah, but actually I was thinking of when I was going to use the water in a later chap. Thanks. I hope you have a good day too! :)
-- I'm sorry you feel that way. :( On the bright side, after Kaoru's baby is born, I won't be writing K/K at all until everybody gets back from Akayama. :)
-- No, I didn't think you were abondoning the fic. I thought you were just tired of reviewing. :) Thanks for letting me know, but I like replying to reviews too much to stop. If I =do= get deleted, then I'll just repost under a new account. Thanks for the info. (You're always so helpful in reviews.:) I'll have to check that out. Woah, you watched Reflections a second time? O.o Wow. Have a good day. :)
Viper -- I like your name. Its cool. :)I'm glad you think so. I plan on continuing this story until its finished. :)
-- I'm glad you do! Yes, it IS hard to find good S/M stories. (especially on ff.net) Peaople don't seem to take them as seriously as they do KK or AM and that just ruins everything. :( I'm glad you think so highly of it.:) Well this isn't exactly soon, but it is an update!
Weaver1 -- For some reason I picture Sano as the jealous type. And even if he isn't if others can portray mild-mannered Kenshin as jealous then I think I should be able to portray Sano as jealous. Did you like the Y/T scene? I was thinking of you while I wrote it. (Since you're the only Y/T fan I know of who has reviewed my story. :)
-- I think you deserve an extra special thnk you for reviewing =every= chapter of my story. Now that's dedication! :) Yes, I'm evil. (And proud of it!) Mwahahaha! ;)
like to thank the following people: Reignashii, K1dgey, Tanukigirl22, CEEGEE, gaby (hyat, Selena Maxwell, koorime-princess12, sataness-ov-desire, Story Weaver1, Zerianyu, glasclach, sabella/pan, The Monster in your Dreams, Angel of the Deceased, are-en1, Koneko Maiden, th-dd-dmd-mnky, chmsweety, XxSilentxDreamerxX, Kitsune-Tenshi-16, Dark Thorn White Rose, jmj102, Box Turtle, Midnight Unicorn, iAMdacrayZblaze1, roxygrlygoddess, Lady Katherine2, and Shade16
all inspire me to keep writing. :)
you for all the wonderful reviews, and please don't forget to review this chapter. :)