Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Tanuki Madness ❯ Christmas ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Tanuki Madness

AN: Hi guys! I needed to start a lighter story my other fic took a dark turn so I needed to have something light to even things out ^_^. On the brush writing bit I’ve had to write with materials like that before, it is so hard! But it still is fun, I’m just glad kaoru is a better writer than me lol! I hope you guys like   

 

Disclaimer: Yes Yes I own them all and little pink buffalos fly ^_~ (and if you believe that you need help)

 

Chapter 1:

            Kaoru smiled as she walked through the market shopping always seemed to please her. She already held several packages in her arms and she was ready to add a few more to the stack. ‘I can hardly wait to see what Kenshin thinks of the new gi I bought him.’ She giggled at the thought of his face as he opened the package. 

            A cold breeze blew by whipping her ebony hair against her face, a continuous reminder that winter was here. In fact that was the reason for so many packages Kaoru had recently herd of a western holiday that sounded like it would be fun to celebrate, called Christmas. She almost had something for everyone, she just hoped she could keep them all hidden until December 25, after all especially with Yahiko he might get curious and start searching for the mystery packages just to have a peak… Then a smile curved her lips ‘I guess I’ll just have to keep him too busy to look.’ It would only be for one week then she could hand them all out.

            A thought suddenly struck her as she was looking in a shop that sold knifes she needed to invite Misao and the Oniwaban-shu to come, after all how could they celebrate without all of their friends being accounted for? Leaving the knife shop she raced over to a vender who had carrier pigeons. “Umm… excuse me.” She called to the man who was currently feeding one of the birds. “I would like to send a message to Kyoto please.” 

            The vender looked up at her and smiled before nodding and handing her a piece of rice paper and pointed to the writing set, “Just fill out your message and it will be 500 yen to send it.”

            Kaoru smiled back before she set her packages down to start preparing the ink. Picking up the ink stick she started to grind it in circular motions on the ink stone occasionally bringing it to the dipped part to bring more water up to the even area.  

Finally about half an hour later she deemed she had enough ink to compose her letter. Picking the brush up she dipped it in the ink thoroughly soaking the bristles before holding it perfectly erect over the paper and began to compose:

Dear Misao, 

            I herd about a western holiday recently, called Christmas. It’s a time where friends and family get together and give each other gifts to show the important people in their life how much they care. It is on December 25. I hope that you and the other oniwaban-shu members can come and help us celebrate this special holiday. Please come soon.                         Kamiya Kaoru

            Looking over her handy work she grinned. She then handed the brush to the vender who promptly started to wash it in a bucket of hot water he had over a fire behind him. Kaoru shook her head as she noted the already frozen ink he’d have to do the same with the poor grinding stone… sighing she placed the letter and 500 yen under the grinding store and picked her packages up. “Thank you!”

            The vender flashed her a smile of his own as he took the letter and tied it to the leg of one of the pigeons letting it fly away before pocketing the cash.

            Kaoru started to walk back toward the center of the market place when a voice stopped her, “Excuse me miss.” Turning around Kaoru saw an elderly woman with kind eyes sitting on a blanket in the snow with several pots and culinary wares.

            ; “Yes?”   Kaoru inquired politely as she approached the older woman.

            ; “Please take a look at these and if you see anything you fancy let me know and I’ll make you a deal.”

            Kaoru mentally shrugged it couldn’t hurt any thing just to look…

            There were several items on the blanket: A bamboo whisk, a few bows, some chopsticks, teacups, teakettles….

          ;   Her eyes stayed on one kettle in particular, it was made of iron, and didn’t really look like anything too special, but there was something about that particular one that made her curious.

          &nb sp; The woman just smiled at her as she noted where Kaoru’s eyes had fallen. “I see you seem to fancy the gray teakettle, a very fine kettle it is. Made of iron it works well for both every day use and tea ceremony, and it is as real steal at 300 yen.”

             Kaoru looked up thoughtfully, the lady was right that was a great price for a teakettle, and there just seemed to be something about it that drew her to it… ‘Oh why not? A new teakettle will help keep the boys from getting too curious…’ “Ok!” she smiled as she fumbled for a moment before finally getting her wallet out and handing the woman 300 yen.

            “Thank you.” The woman said with a bow as she tucked the money into her sleeve, before wrapping the kettle up for her young customer.  Then assisting Kaoru she placed the new package on top of her ever-increasing mound of wrapped items before she started on her ways once more.

            ‘I think I better head home for the day, I’m sure Kenshin’s worried about me by now… I’ll just finish my shopping tomorrow.’ With that thought in mind she started off toward the dojo parallel to the setting sun…

 

AN: the chos starts next chap ^___^ this aught to be fun!