Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ The Bet ❯ Returning ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I DO NOT won Rurouni Kenshin, although I wish I did.

Note: I know, I know its been another month. Gomen!!!! I've been extremely busy with school. Anyway, I'm sorry for the long wait. Here's the long awaited Chapter 12!!!

The Bet Redone

Chapter 12

Returning

When Kaoru finally returned to Misao's house with Misao still unconscious her family became hysteric. They asked Kaoru thousands of questions at once, like what happened and are you guys all right. Kaoru's head was spinning. She placed her hand over her eyes.

"If you don't mind, I'd like to rest for right now. I'm not feeling too well," Kaoru said as she excused herself from the room and retreated to the room that she was borrowing during her visit.

Once Kaoru reached her door she slowly opened it and entered the now dark room. She flicked the lights on and then walked over to the bed. She flopped down onto the comfortable bed, bouncing slightly from the force. She then placed her arm over her eyes.

"What is going on?" she said to herself, "Everything is so complicated. I don't know what to do anymore."

Everything had been so hard and confusing lately. Ever since Kenshin had come into the picture her heart had life had been in turmoil.

'Will you please forgive me?'

Kaoru removed the arm from her face and sighed.

'I'm not sure what to do. Can I trust his words?' Kaoru thought to herself, 'I don't what to feel the pain again, but. this feeling I get when he's near. I'm not sure what it is, but when I think of losing him my heart seems to become tighter. Can it be that. that I really love him?'

Kaoru closed her eyes had flashed backed.

::Flashback(s)::

- "I'm Kaoru Kamiya. Who are you?" Kaoru answered.

"I'm not telling. I'll let you guess," the boy said, "See you later Kaoru-dono."

- "So how many more times are you going to bump into me?" Kenshin asked.

Kaoru blushed and then started to get angry, "Hey, you know I don't do it on purpose. It's not my fault that you're around every corner that I turn."

"Maybe there's a reason you keep bumping into me," Kenshin stated.

Kaoru blushed. Her blush deepened even farther when he brought her hand up to his lips. He gave the top of her hand a light kiss and then released her hand.

- "What are you doing here? You seem to be everywhere I go," Kaoru stated as she pointed her finger at him.

Kenshin smiled. The sun was setting behind him. He took Kaoru's hand and held it in his own. Kaoru blushed a deep red, but Kenshin could see because the setting sun was shining on her face.

"Kaoru will you go out with me?"

"Please stay. Can you come inside for a little bit?" Kaoru said quietly as she moved her gaze up from the ground to look at him.

Kenshin was about to object saying that he had to go home, but he stopped when he saw her eyes. She was pleading him to stay. He could still see the hint of fear in her eyes. The other thing he noticed were the tears that were descending down his face. It was after seeing that did he change his mind.

"Okay, but only for a little bit," he stated.

"Why was he after your life?" Kenshin asked her.

Kaoru gaze dropped to the floor, "I can't tell you."

"Why not?" Kenshin asked kind of coldly.

"I just can't!" Kaoru half yelled as she looked up and then moved her head so she was looking to the side of her. Tears were making there way down her face again. Kenshin saw this, so he took hold of her chin and moved her face until she was facing him.

"Okay, but just know that I'll always be here if you want to talk about it," Kenshin stated calmly.

- "I will protect you from the people, that the guy mentioned, that are
after you," Kenshin started.

"If?" Kaoru asked.

"If, in return, you'll go out with me," he said.

- "So I guess we're going out now since I won and all," Kenshin stated.

Kaoru stopped giggling and looked at him. She was a little weird
about actually dating him.

"Don't worry I won't do anything bad. I promise," Kenshin stated
with a smirk on his face.

At that comment Kaoru blushed slightly. Kenshin placed his arm
around her shoulder.

"I'll walk you home," he stated kindly.

"Okay, I'll see you tomorrow," he said.

The next thing Kaoru knew, his lips lightly brushed against her forehead. As quickly as they had come, they left. Kaoru looked up with shock. Kenshin turned and walked toward the gate that was the entrance to her property. Before he turned the corner he looked back at her.

"Good-bye," he said before he rounded the corner and was out of sight.

"Kenshin where are you taking." Kaoru stopped as she saw the sight before her.

They were standing on a cliff. From here they could see the sun setting with the entire city in front of the sun. Kaoru just stood there in awe as she watched the sun sink below the horizon and it became a bit darker.

"It's beautiful," Kaoru stated in awe.

"I'm glad you like it," Kenshin stated as he came up to her side and took her hand in his.

"Kaoru are you all right?" Kenshin asked, but didn't move his eyes from Kaoru's attacker.

"Kind of," Kaoru answered, but that was almost a lie.

"Well, I better go. You need your rest. I'll come tomorrow to pick you up for school," Kenshin said kindly.

Kaoru smiled at him before she said, "Okay. Let me see you to the door"

She went to stand up, but Kenshin stopped her by putting his hands on her shoulders and pushing her back down onto the makeshift bed.

Kenshin shook his head and said, "I told you to rest. I can see myself out."

Kaoru pouted for a bit because she felt like she was being accused of being too weak. However, she stopped. He was right. If she wanted to go to school tomorrow then she had to rest so her arm could heal faster.

"Okay, I'll see you tomorrow," Kaoru said.

"Oyasumi," Kenshin said as he gave a small wave of his hand and walked out of the room. Not long after Kaoru heard the front door open and then she heard it close.

Kenshin smiled as he took Kaoru's bag out of her right hand. Kaoru was about to complain, but Kenshin replaced the empty air by taking her hand into his. Kaoru gave him a questioning look.

"You need to be taking it easy right?" Kenshin replied.

Kaoru's cheeks turn slightly pink as she nodded. Kenshin looked at her face. He noticed the small pinkness on her face. He decided to tease her a little.

"Kaoru are you okay? Your cheeks are turning pink. Are you cold?" Kenshin asked as he looked at her trying to do the most serious face he could muster.

Kaoru's blush intensified as she attempted to answer, "N..no I'm.. fine."

Kenshin didn't let go of Kaoru's hand until they were at her locker. Once they were there Kenshin handed her bag to her.

"Thank you," Kaoru said quietly.

Kenshin leaned down and gave her a small kiss on the cheek.

"See you later," Kenshin said before he turned and walked away.

"I asked the school office. They were reluctant at first, but then they told me where you and Misao had gone," Kenshin said as he paused before beginning again, "I came here to tell you that I'm sorry."

Kaoru looked at him in complete shock.

"I didn't mean what I said that day. It just slipped out before I could stop it," Kenshin said as he turned around to face her, his eyes once again violet, "will you please forgive me?"

Kaoru didn't know what to say. Her mind was in a twirl. She was still slightly woozy from almost dying and now Kenshin was standing in front of her, in Kyoto, apologizing to her. The thought made her head spin more. Kenshin waited for a response, but he got none. He turned his back to her once again.

"Well, I just came here to apologize. I hope you'll forgive me. I can tell right now you're probably not sure if you can trust me, but," he paused for a moment, "I care for you so I promise it's not a joke."

::End of Flashbacks::

"My heart is saying one thing, but my mind is saying another. I don't know what one to listen to," Kaoru spoke to herself as she turned on her side and curled up into a ball, "Deep in my heart I want to believe his word, but my mind is saying to stop because it knows that doing that could be the biggest mistake of my life."

Kaoru closed her eyes and fell into a fitful sleep, millions of thoughts flying around her head.

The next morning Kaoru awoke to Misao's loud voice yelling down the hall.

"KAORU!!"

Kaoru opened her eyes slowly, not really comprehending anything yet. She groggily sat up as another scream flew down the hall.

"KAROU!!"

Kaoru's eyes snapped opened as she recognized the voice. She flew out of bed and down the hall to where the voice had imitated. Once she reached the room, she threw the door open.

"Misao what's wrong? What happened?" Kaoru half yelled.

Kaoru's voice softened when looked at Misao. Misao had tears falling from her eyes. It looked like it had taken a lot of effort from various members of her family to keep her in the bed during her frantic search.

"Kaoru?" Misao asked softly.

Kaoru approached the bed and nodded as soon as she was at the bedside.

"Yes, it's me," Kaoru answered softly, tears forming in her eyes as well.

"Thank goodness you're all right!" Misao yelled as she threw her arms around her friend and sobbed.

Kaoru hugged back.

"Same to you. I'm glad you're okay," Kaoru stated.

The members of Misao's family left the room quietly. Once Misao's sobs had calmed she released her friend.

"But how?" Misao asked, "How did you get away from that guy?"

Kaoru hesitated a minute before answering.

"You're not going to believe me," Kaoru said simply.

"Try me," Misao stated.

"Well, he began to choke me. I was about to blackout when the grip around my throat loosened. When I opened my eyes I saw someone down the alley, it was a man. Soon the hand around my throat was gone and the guy who tried to kill me was unconscious on the ground," Kaoru said.

"Did you get the man's name that saved you?" Misao asked questioningly.

Kaoru nodded.

"And."

"His name was Kenshin," Kaoru stated.

Misao looked at her in shock.

"You don't mean that," Misao stopped short.

Kaoru nodded.

"No way! How? Why?"

"He said he came to apologize to me, but," Kaoru started.

"But?"

"I don't know if I can believe his word anymore," Kaoru finished.

Misao nodded and said, "Do you want to believe his word?"

Kaoru balled her hands into fists of frustration.

"My heart wants to believe him, but my mind is telling me not to," Kaoru said as she burst into tears.

Misao tried to comfort her friend.

"Do you love him?"

Kaoru's sobs stopped for a minute and she nodded.

"Then believe in him. The heart has a funny way of knowing what's right. Your mind is giving you facts, but your heart is giving you feelings. Trust your feelings. Even though right now the answer is unclear and your heart may be in turmoil you must believe in him," Misao answered, "and then maybe he'll be able to understand your feelings."

Kaoru's eyes went wide with realization. The reason she couldn't seem to give up on him was because her heart was telling her to keep trying. The reason her heart could not rest and the answer seemed miles away was because she was unable to fully believe in him because of his reputation. Kaoru smiled and wiped her tears away.

"You know Misao, for not ever having a boyfriend you're pretty good at this stuff," Kaoru stated.

Misao giggled and said, "That's because I deal with what you're feeling everyday."

Kaoru looked at her confused.

"I love Aoshi, but he doesn't seem to even know I exist. My mind tells me just to give up and move on, but my heart says to keep trying because I love him. I believe that if I just believe in him, then one day maybe my feelings will reach him," Misao stated wisely.

Kaoru just stared at her friend. She had never known Misao to be so deep and emotional. It was then that Kaoru remember the "plan". Kaoru smirked slightly. Misao looked at her slightly confused.

"What?" Misao asked.

Kaoru erased the smirk from her face.

"Nothing, nothing," Kaoru answered then she remembered something, "Come on. We have some presents to wrap and we only have 2 days before we return to Tokyo and we have a lot to do."

"Okay let's get to work!" Misao said excitedly, but then the sound of grumbling stomachs broke the excitement. The two girls just giggled, "I guess we should eat first."

"Yeah," Kaoru answered.

The two got up to get some food.

::::December 24th::::

"Are you sure you got everything?" Gramps asked as the two girls put on their jackets.

"Yes Gramps," Misao said as she placed a winter hat on her head.

"Thank you for letting me stay," Kaoru said.

"It was no trouble at all," one of the women answered, "Take care of yourself."

"Thank you," Kaoru said as she bowed.

Misao and Kaoru said their finally goodbyes and left for the train station. The train ride seemed long. Kaoru and Misao wasted time by talking about their plans for New Years Day, playing cards, and watching the snowy scenery that quickly passed by outside of the window. It was about 3 o'clock in the afternoon when their train arrived back in Tokyo.

"It feels good to be back," Misao said as she stepped off the train, luggage in hand.

"Yeah," Kaoru added.

The girls called a cab over and quickly piled in. The cab stopped at Kaoru's house first. When the car pulled to a stop in front of her house, Kaoru said goodbye to Misao, grabbed her things, and tipped the driver. She watched and waved till the car was out of sight. Once that was done she walked up to the front door and enter the house.

"I'm home," Kaoru yelled out as she set her luggage down and took off her shoes.

Megumi came from around the corner.

"Welcome back. How was your trip?" Megumi asked as Kaoru walked up to her.

"I had a good time," Kaoru said plainly.

"Is that all?" Megumi asked.

Kaoru thought about it for a minute. She probably shouldn't tell Megumi about the incident.

"Yep," Kaoru replied as she carried her things to her room.

"How's your arm doing?" Megumi asked as she followed Kaoru down the hall.

"It's okay actually. It hurt a little bit at the beginning of my trip, but it hasn't bothered me since," Kaoru answered as she entered her room and set her things down, "I'm going to go out for a while."

"Okay," Megumi said, "just don't be gone for too long."

"Okay," Kaoru answered as she grabbed her light jacket without realizing it and put it on. She walked over to the door and once again put her shoes on, "I'm leaving."

With that Kaoru left. She really didn't know the reason she was going outside. She walked down the street. It was snowing slightly; just enough for you to realize that it was the middle of winter and it was cold out. Kaoru made her way to the park. The park she was headed to had a special meaning to her. It was her favorite park, but it was also the park that her father had taken her to all the time when she had been littler. As she entered the park memories of the past flooded her mind. Memories of her father pushing her on the swing and feeding the birds that had made nests all around the park. Tears began to form in Kaoru's eyes. The wetness made the cold that much more definite. She quickly wiped the tears away with her arm as she smiled. They were such fond memories that she held very deeply in her heart. It was then that Kaoru noticed a flash of red out of the corner of her eye. She turned just in time to see Kenshin turn down a different trail of the park.

'Kenshin!' Kaoru's mind ran, 'what should I do? Should I go talk to him?'

Kaoru then remembered what Misao had said.

"Then believe in him. The heart has a funny way of knowing what's right. Your mind is giving you facts, but your heart is giving you feelings. Trust your feelings. Even though right now the answer is unclear and your heart may be in turmoil you must believe in him," Misao answered, "and then maybe he'll be able to understand your feelings."

Before Kaoru could think any longer, her legs began to move. She ran with all her might as fast as she could.

'I have to believe in him,' Kaoru thought to herself as she trued to chase after him.

Finally, she saw him come into view.

"Kenshin!" Kaoru yelled out as loud as she could.

The red head stopped and turned around. Kaoru saw his eyes widen slightly at the sight of her. She stopped running as she finally reached him. She stood there panting for a minute, to catch her breath.

"Kaoru," Kenshin said quietly.

Once Kaoru caught her breath she spoke.

"I forgive you," Kaoru said simply.

"What?" Kenshin asked vaguely confused.

"I forgive you about what you said," Kaoru said, "and I wanted to say thank you for saving me and Misao back in Kyoto."

Kenshin just kind of stood there, still trying to take what she was saying in. He thought that she would completely hate him for what he did and he didn't blame her. What he had done to her was cruel. However, here she was standing in front of him saying that it was okay and that she forgave him. When the realization hit him he felt a huge weight being lifted from his shoulders. He walked up to her and pulled her to him.

"I'm so happy," he said simply.

Kaoru was confused at first. This definitely wasn't the normal Kenshin. Nevertheless, she relaxed against him and gently hugged him back.

"I was afraid that I had hurt you so much that you would hate me," Kenshin admitted.

Kaoru couldn't help, but giggle. Kenshin pulled away from her. As he did Kaoru felt the cold of winter seep through her thin jacket. Why had she grabbed the wrong one? She shivered against the cold. Kenshin noticed this and pulled her close to him. Kaoru blushed to some extent at the closeness and his gentle gesture.

"Tomorrow is Christmas, how about you and me go out for dinner? Sound okay to you?" Kenshin asked as he began to walk forward.

Kaoru nodded, but then thought of something.

"How about tomorrow we start the plan?" Kaoru said with a grin across her face.

Kenshin looked at her, confused at first, but then remembered what she was walking about and he smirk at the thought.

"Okay, I'll get Aoshi," Kenshin stated.

"And I'll get Misao," Kaoru said.

"Okay, but right now lets get you home before you get sick," Kenshin said as he began to walk forward, Kaoru still hugged close to his body for heat.

Along the way they planned the details of tomorrow's big plan.

::::::::::::::

Author's Note: Okay I'll give you guys one try to try and guess what the plan is. I'm sorry, but I don't know the names of the people that live at Misao's house. I only know Gramps. Anyhow, I'm really really sorry about the wait. I made the chapter a bit longer, even though there are a lot of flashbacks. Oh well, I have to go. It's 10 o'clock and I got school and work tomorrow. Hope everyone liked this chapter and again I'm sorry. School can be such a pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, PLEASE READ AND REVIEW!! THANK YOU!!!

Coolgurl