Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ The Demon Child ❯ The Spark of Battle ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sapphire: Thank you! Thank you all so much for the lovely reviews! I hope you'll enjoy this chapter as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Note: This is my surprise for my beta-reader, Brittanie Love as a thank you gift. Hope you like it girl!

Warning: The usual crude language

Disclaimer: I do not own RK. (cries buckets of rivers)

The Demon Child

Chapter five: The Rescue

-------------------------------------

Station 12 was actually a base located at one of the borderlines of Kyoto. Well hidden amongst the thick trees of the forest, it was both a crucial and risky spot to spy for wandering wolves or other outsiders that might pose danger to the residence.

This Kaoru learnt from Soujiro as they conversed, keeping up the pace with the others at the same time.

Kaoru glided her ebony wings once more, the wind underneath them helped her stayed in the air using less of her energy. All of them, except for Misao of course, had willed their form to change into that of a winged creature. Kaoru changed herself into a beautiful large raven with lustrous wings dark as night with silver at the tips. Her eyes were still the same, a shimmering sapphire-silver.

Besides her, Soujiro gave a low-pitched shrill. Soujiro had turned into a brown falcon with brown-gray wings. His grayish eyes gazed into Kaoru as he spoke in the language of birds.

"Nervous?" He asked Kaoru.

Kaoru shook her head. "Not really." She replied.

Soujiro's eyes gleamed knowingly. If Kaoru was in her real form, she would've blushed.

"Okay…so maybe I am a little." She admitted.

Soujiro squawk good-naturedly. "It's nothing to be ashamed of. Everyone gets battle jitters once in a while."

Kaoru shook her head. "It's not that."

"Then what is it?"

Kaoru shook her head once more. "I can't tell you. It's too private and confusing."

Soujiro's wings gave a twitch, as if he was shrugging.

"Suit yourself. I won't force you to talk."

Kaoru glanced at Soujiro and gave a tiny high twerp since she can't smile in her present form.

"I'm really glad that you're my partner Soujiro."

Soujiro let loose a low shrill. "So am I." His grayish eyes gleam amusingly.

"Although I can't say the same for Himura."

Kaoru rolled her eyes at the mention of the redhead assassin-slash-vampire. (AN: I don't know if birds can do that so I'm really sorry if I'm wrong)

Hiko had paired them into groups of two, with one group consisting three since Misao wouldn't stop nagging unless she comes along as well. Kaoru was paired with Soujiro, much to the protest of two certain vampires, while Misao went with Sano and Aoshi.

Lastly, Battousai was paired with Shogo. Both vampires growled menacingly at this arrangement but didn't complain lest they want to conjure the Vampire Lord of Kyoto's wrath.

Since Tsubame was too young and unskilled in combat, she was left behind with the servants. Hiko didn't come along since he had to stay if ever the mansion would be attacked.

A dominating cry was heard from above the two and both vampire and demon looked up. It was Battousai in the form of a blood-red eagle with golden and violet edges around his large, luminous wings. Across his chest…or rather plumage, was an amber cross-shaped design that reminded Kaoru of the similar jagged scar vampire Battousai had in his left cheek.

His sharp amber eyes looked down from them as he spoke in a matter of shrills and squawks.

"We are nearing the designated area. Follow me and fly down to change back."

Without another word, Battousai tipped his left wing and used the sudden change in the wind's flow to glide at the right and downwards at the forest floor.

Kaoru felt a slight pang of hurt as Battousai hadn't acknowledged her. Did what they shared earlier mean nothing to him?

Her raven eyes glared icily at the red eagle before she looked away, disgust evident in the sapphire-silver depths.

Fine then! It's not like it meant anything to her either!

But, deep within her demon heart, Kaoru knew that it was a lie. It did mean something to her. Battousai had stolen her first kiss.

Sure many men, humans mostly, had tried to be the first to ever grace his lips with hers but Kaoru had always managed to prevent it from happening. She was the type of female who took pride in her independence and to her, kissing would only lend to romance and possibly tie her down. Kaoru didn't want that to happen.

Her adoptive mother once described her as a spark of flame, seemingly tamed but not always so. Kaoru was a free-spirited female who yearned for her freedom and simply cannot be controlled at all times.

Yet…there was something about the redhead that drew Kaoru to him. In a way, Battousai both fascinated and intrigued her. There was just something different about him, regardless that he's a vampire and all that shit. Call it a natural attraction or a primal instinct if you want to describe it.

It wasn't that he was deviously handsome and sexy. Oh no, not at all.

Kaoru was pulled out of her thoughts when a chestnut hawk with jade tints specifically in the wings, brushed against her smaller body slightly. She turned to glare into amused jade green eyes and would've scowled if she had lips. It was Shogo.

The said-hawk winked at her before he too, took off to follow Battousai. Kaoru resisted the urge to fly towards him and claw his eyes out. Instead, she let Soujiro nudged her to follow with his beak and she complied.

----------------------------------------

When she was close to the ground, Kaoru gave off a soft silvery-blue hue as she willed herself to morph back. Now in her original form, Kaoru landed gracefully on one knee and got up in one swift movement.

The demon stood close to Soujiro as Battousai began to give instructions.

"Since the base will probably be heavily guarded, we'll have to sneak in." stated Battousai, his amber eyes gazed at each one of them, stopping a moment longer on Kaoru who simply diverted her eyes elsewhere.

Battousai's amber eyes narrowed at this but continued still. "Other than that, you all know what to do right?"

"Good," he muttered as everyone nodded their heads.

The plan was simple really. Station 12 was composed of two paths that lead to the main base. A high fence surrounded the whole compound but that problem could be solved easily. It was the werewolves guarding it that would pose a threat.

Misao, Sano and Aoshi would be the decoys and distract the werewolves guarding the fence. One pair would take the left path and the other the right. Their objective was to find both Megumi and Yahiko (Kaoru learnt their names from Soujiro) and the head of the werewolf group. They were also to kill all of the enemies there and return the station back to the vampires' control.

"Let's move out."

Kaoru was about to follow Soujiro when Battousai grabbed her arm.

Battousai pulled her towards him to the point that Kaoru could feel his warm breath blowing in her lips, caressing them sensually.

"Why were you ignoring me?" He asked deeply.

Kaoru involuntarily shivered at the dangerous tone in his voice. Being the stubborn female, she looked away at the others already a couple of meters away from the pair.

"We should get going before we get left behind." Kaoru said as she attempted to tug off Battousai's hold on her arm.

The vampire's amber eyes flashed for a moment before he tightened his grip. Kaoru cringed mentally at its' strength.

'Oh, that's going to leave a bruise tomorrow.' She thought

"Look at me Kaoru." Battousai's voice was now hoarse and low, as if he was holding back a growl.

Kaoru complied, turned to stare into his eyes and wished that she hadn't. She felt her heart doing flip-flops as sapphire-silver clashed with amber depths that gleamed with various emotions, most of which Kaoru couldn't point out.

"Answer me…onegai." He continued, his voice now soft as a whisper.

If she was made of butter, Kaoru would've melted at the sweetness showing behind those words. This was the side of Battousai she never knew would existed and it both relaxed and unnerved her.

"Well you see." Kaoru started, trying to find the exact words to say. "I wasn't ignoring you…it's just that everything's happening too fast."

Battousai raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

Kaoru took a deep breath before she explained. "It's too sudden. I mean, the kiss and all...I"

However, Kaoru never got to finish her explanation when the vampire suddenly swept her in a possessive embrace. The nails in his hands lengthened and curved into claws as he tapped them slightly along the demon's spine.

Kaoru shivered in delight at the ticklish tingling sensation and subconsciously arched her back slightly. Her eyes closed drowsily as she leaned against the redhead's neck, just below the collarbone. Battousai leaned back a little to kiss her gently just above the eyebrows before he nuzzled his nose and chin against Kaoru's hair, marveling at its' softness and sweet fragrance.

Battousai took a whiff at the fragrance and suppressed the urge to purr contently. She smelled like jasmine with just a touch of vanilla.

"Mine." He whispered, mostly to himself, as he pressed his cheek on top of Kaoru's head and hugged her closer.

The demon's eyes snapped open in alarm and, with unexpected strength, pushed Battousai away from her.

Kaoru stared into amber eyes and growled menacingly, her vampire fangs starting to sprout.

"Get this straight Battousai." She growled deep within her throat, sapphire-silver eyes glaring.

"I belong to no one. Not even you."

With that, Kaoru turned her back towards him and hurried off to reach the others, not bothering to look back.

Battousai recovered from his surprise and gave a sly grin.

"No one huh?" A red glint crossed amber orbs.

The red-haired vampire smirked once more as he broke into a jog to catch up with the quick silver and dark-blue haired demon.

"We'll see about that."

-------------------------------------

The nerve of that guy!

Kaoru fumed as she stomped towards the others. Every step she took showed her anger and her flaring aura emitted a shade of dark, almost black, blue.

How dare he think of her as an object? She is a fing living, breathing female specimen for crying out loud!

As she stepped closer, her eyes widen in disbelief. Battousai was already there alongside Shogo, though he looked none too happy about it.

What the? How the heck did he get there? Wasn't he behind me just awhile ago?

Kaoru resisted the urge to rub her eyes and instead took her place besides her partner Soujiro.

"Glad to see you've finally decided to join us." Soujiro whispered softly for the demon to hear.

Kaoru glanced at the brown-haired vampire and merely gave a fanged smile.  Moving an arm to her kodachis, she made a grab for one and unsheathed it with a flick of her wrist.

'Time to get down and dirty.' She thought, a wolfish grin presented itself on her lips.

-------------------------------------------

"ROAR!!"

Kaoru dodged her opponent's large claws and twisted her kodachi to connect with furry skin. The werewolf barely had time to give a low moan before his entire head was sliced off from the neck.

The demon crunched up her nose in distaste as she stared at the bloody headless corpse. Not far from her, Soujiro was just finishing off another werewolf.

Soujiro flicked the blood off his katana as he stood upright.

"That's the last of them." He grumbled to Kaoru who replied as she flicked the blood from her kodachi as well.

"For now that is."

"HIYAHH!"

A shrill banshee-like cry erupted from outside, vibrating throughout the hallways up to where both vampire and demon now stood. The pair covered their ears to block the sound as it passed through them.

"Misao-Weasel-san sure has a strong pair of lungs for a human." Soujiro commented as they lowered their hands to fall at their sides. His usual smile plastered on his face, though his eyes had an amused gleam in the depths.

Kaoru chuckled as she shook her head in dismay. "Misao would kill you if she heard that."

At this, Soujiro smirked. A first since Kaoru met him.

"I'd like to see her try."

-------------------------------------

Misao sent a flying kick to the werewolf's stomach causing the creature to topple to the ground on his knees, clutching his stomach in pain.

The human female's eyes gave an eerie emerald glow as she took out her kurai and stabbed it deep into the area where the wolf's heart should be. The fallen werewolf gave a high shriek as he reached a hand to his chest, dark black blood dripped from his wound and his mouth before he dropped entirely to the ground dead.

Misao felt a rush of self-satisfaction and smirked. That would teach them not to mess with her and her family.

Unbeknownst to the dark-haired woman, another werewolf was slowly creeping up at her, yellow fangs and long claws dripping with a black, poisonous fluid.

It was until a sharp cry and a dull thumping sound of a body falling that Misao turned to look behind her. Her eyes widen as she took in the sight of ice blue eyes piercing down at her and shuddered as if someone had splashed cold water in her face.

Aoshi placed his booted foot atop the werewolf's lower back and bent down to pull out his kodachi from the dead body, flickering the blood off it afterwards.

"Er…Thanks." Misao mumbled, feeling a surge of heat going up her cheeks indicating a blush.

The moment was cut off when Sano came towards them, a struggling werewolf locked in his arm.

"Now isn't the time for you and Weasel to get lovey-dovey." He muttered as he tightened his grip, causing the werewolf's face to turn a pale blue from lack of oxygen.

Misao scowled and glared dagger-eyes at the smirking spiky-haired vampire.

"Bakero Tori Atama!"

-----------------------------------------------

Shogo covered his mouth to shuffle a yawn as he slashed the foolish werewolf in half, adding to the dead pile of bodies littering the carpeted floor.

How utterly boring.

"This is too easy." He grumbled, not expecting his so-called partner to reply.

The said redhead had just taken out his sword that was embedded from a now-dead werewolf's heart and watched as the body clumped to the floor.

Battousai's amber eyes narrowed. "Too easy for me to think that this isn't just the regular attempt of take-over of our bases." He muttered, not taking the liberty of cleaning the blood off his sword. It would get stained again anyway.

Shogo snorted. "You're just too suspicious, you know that Battousai?"

A thoughtful look crossed his features and the taller vampire rubbed his chin. "I wonder how Kaoru is faring right now?"

"Such a shame that I wasn't partnered with her…" His lips twisted into a smirk. "But perhaps it was for the best."

"After all, I wouldn't concentrate on the mission then."

Shogo felt the air knocked out of his lungs as Battousai suddenly grabbed him by the collar and pushed him against the wall. The chestnut-haired vampire glared down at the redhead who, although is smaller in stature and size, was his equal in strength and skill.

Red-amber orbs glared at jaded green as Battousai growled deep in his throat.

Shogo, however, didn't feel the least bit afraid and smirked.

"De ja vu ne Battousai?" It was more of a statement rather than a question.

The redhead narrowed his eyes but let his thoughts drifted to their earlier conversation back at the mansion.

-------------------------flashback------------------

"Leave her alone Amakusa." Battousai growled, glaring at the chestnut-haired vampire with red-amber eyes.

Shogo crossed his arms arrogantly. "Who? Kaoru?"

Battousai glared darkly at him. "Don't call her that."

Shogo smirked. "What then? Koishii?"

He cringed as his back was forced against the wooden wall, Battousai holding him in place by clutching the collar of his shirt.

Eyes flaring a bloody red-amber, Battousai fangs sprouted to their full length as he growled.

"Listen well for I won't repeat this again."

Red-amber eyes darkened as its' owner looked into jaded green.

"Kaoru is mine and mine alone. If ever you touch her again I will kill you."

With that, Battousai let go of his grip on Shogo and walked away to join the others, leaving the other vampire to himself.

--------------------end flashback-------------------------

Battousai growled and pushed Shogo harder against the wall, half-wishing that he would crack to pieces just like an ornament.

Shogo retained his defying smirk still. It was just so much fun pushing the redhead's buttons.

Battousai growled deeply, trying to restrain himself. Reluctantly, he let go of Shogo's collar and turned his back to the taller vampire.

"I don't have time for this." He muttered before he walked further down the path leading to the main base.

Shogo watched amusingly as the crimson-haired vampire left. His lips twitched into a challenging smirk as he smoothen his shirt and made a move to follow.

'She isn't yours as you hoped she'd be yet Battousai.' He thought, smirking. "I haven't smelt your scent on her."

His jade green eyes glimmered darkly as he walked faster to catch up with his partner.

"Kamiya Kaoru, you will be mine."

------------------------------------------------------

Somewhe re else, Kaoru shivered slightly as she and Soujiro ran towards the end of their path.

"You alright Kao?" Soujiro asked as he glanced at her out of the corner of his eyes. Being the demon's partner gave him the chance to get to known the female more to the point that he now considered Kaoru as a sort of sister and her of him as a brother.

"I'm fine, Sou." Kaoru replied, trying to keep with the vampire. He was just too fast damnit!

"I just thought I heard someone call my name. Weird huh?"

Soujiro shook his head. "Not really but perhaps you were just imagining it."

Kaoru nodded her head. "Yeah, perhaps."

----------------------------------------------------

Just as planned, the two pairs met at the huge door leading to the main base. Soujiro and Kaoru came up from the south while Battousai and Shogo came at the east.

Kaoru studied the chamber they were in now. The walls were made of large stones cut perfectly in rectangular shapes while the door was made of wood, painted black and red. At each side of it was a torch placed in a holder. Both were lit and illuminated, although it was still dimmed, area.

Battousai reached a hand to turn the knob when a group of voices was heard from the path that Kaoru and Soujiro took. All of them unsheathed their katanas, Kaoru her kodachis and got into position.

Just as they were about attack, a female squeal arose and Kaoru soon found herself being the recipient of one of Misao's infamous bone-crushing hugs.

"Hey Kao-chan!" exclaimed Misao as she hugged the poor demon, unaware of Kaoru's discomfort.

"Misao…" started Aoshi, pointing to Kaoru he finished. "You're suffocating her."

"Huh?" Misao glanced at her friend whose face was turning an interesting shade of purple and let go. Kaoru then greedily inhaled deeply from her mouth.

The dark-haired woman laughed nervously. "Sorry Kaoru."

Kaoru tossed her a glare as she rubbed her sore sides, grumbling at the same time:

"I knew I should've never healed you back at the mansion."

"Aww…you wouldn't let your best friend suffer now wouldn't you?" Misao asked cutely. She batted her eyelashes, her emerald eyes shining with child-like innocence.

'Yeah right. Innocent my ass.' Kaoru thought as she rolled her eyes.

"Hmm…let me think about that." She replied, pretending to be deep in thought.

"Kao-chan!" Misao pouted. "You're so mean…"

Kaoru lips twitched into a playful smirk.

"Enough!" roared Sano all of a sudden, surprising them all.

"We don't have time for idle chit-chat." He growled furiously. "Megumi and Yahiko are inside there, probably scared and beaten!"

Sano glared at both Kaoru and Misao. Feeling ashamed, the females glanced down, suddenly taking an interest in the stoned ground.

Both Battousai and Aoshi growled dangerously at Sano. Battousai didn't like the way that the spiky-haired vampire talked to Kaoru. Aoshi, on the other hand, didn't know why he felt protective, just that he did.

"Apologize Sano." Battousai growled, his eyes flashing bloody r