Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey ❯ Chapter Three: Taking the Road Less Traveled ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER THREE:Takingthe Road Less Traveled
 
Mou…this is turning out to be a bad idea after all.
 
I frowned and propped a hand against my hip, my other hand shading my face from the merciless heat of the late morning sun. The way it beat down on the people below it made the weather seem as if it was summer instead of spring.
 
Note to self: when going out on a journey, be sure to make your way out of town as soon as possible.
 
“Tch.” Seeing how crowded the Shinbashi Station was, will buying a ticket be worth it? Train tickets are really expensive; I don't think my meager budget can handle it. Besides, there's the Tokaido Road, ne? There might be an adventure in store for me if I traveled down to Kyoto instead of taking the train or going by boat. Traveling on foot is a good start for training.
 
Wait a second, traveling on foot? Good grief, I'm emulating the ways of that redheaded idiot again! I rolled my eyes at the thought and pulled my rucksack higher on my shoulder; it was beginning to slide off. Huffing impatiently, I turned and started toward where the Tokaido Road began. And then I realized something.
 
Where the heck does the Tokaido Road begin, anyway?
 
Oh, great…here I am, off on my own, but I don't even know how to get to where I'm going! Nice one, Raccoon-girl, I thought, slapping my forehead. Well, better start asking directions, then.
 
I scanned the crowd, looking for someone who looks knowledgeable enough. Who to ask, who to ask…
 
An old man sitting on a bench caught my eye. Asking him might be a good start, I decided. I walked toward him and set my things down—my shoulder was starting to get strained, and I was glad for an excuse to rest a bit.
 
“Excuse me, sir, I—hey! Watch it!” I yelled when a guy jostled against my shoulder. The old man looked up, startled by the commotion.
 
“Sorry!” He disappeared into the crowd.
 
My hand immediately flew to the pocket in my sleeves. Oh, please, no, I prayed as I groped for my money pouch. I breathed a sigh of relief when I felt it in my pocket.
 
Oh, thank the gods. Nothing was stolen from me.
 
“Are you all right there, sonny?” the old man asked, squinting up at me. I felt my eyebrow twitch slightly at the `sonny' comment, but decided to let that slide—I mean, his eyesight must be bad for him to mistake me as a boy, right?
 
“I'm fine, sir, thank you for asking,” I replied. “Anyway, I was wondering if you can help me. Would you happen to know where I might find the Tokaido Road?”
 
“The Tokaido Road, you say? Why, I haven't traveled up that road in years! Brings back memories, that it does. Youngsters these days, they prefer taking it easy, with those newfangled trains…doesn't build character, I tell you! But you…ah, it's rare to see youths such as yourself, preferring to take the road not taken, and the Tokaido Road, it's not taken these days, get it? Heh heh heh!”
 
Um. Yeah. Okay.
 
I laughed along politely. “I understand what you mean, sir, and I hate to be rude, but I really need to get going.”
 
“Going? Going where? Oh, yes, sorry about me rambling on, I just needed to get that out. Anyway, the Tokaido Road starts at Nihonbashi—you know where that is?”
 
“It's located at Chuo Ward, isn't it?”
 
“Right you are. Just cross the Nihonbashi bridge, and you can go up to Kyoto traveling along the Tokaido Road.” The old man stood up shakily and patted my shoulder. “Good luck, and I hope you have a safe trip.”
 
I smiled in gratitude. “Thank you, sir.” I bowed and started to reach down for my things. “Well, I'd better get…” I trailed off.
 
Wait a second.
 
I blinked and squinted at my belongings. The bag's still there, everything seems to be in place, but…
 
Oh no. Nononononono…
 
MY SWORD'S GONE!
 
“Shit!” I cursed, grabbing my rucksack and darting off. The thief must've had someone grab my sword when he bumped into me! I ignored the surprised cries and grunts of people as I barreled through the crowd, frantically trying to remember what the guy that had bumped me looked like.
 
Okay—he had sandy brown hair and scrawny build. I wasn't able to get a good look at him, but his voice sounded rather distinctively nasal.
 
Right. As if remembering what he sounded like was going to help.
 
I gritted my teeth as I bolted to the direction where I remembered he went. He couldn't have gone far, could he?
 
I ran, pushing against the surge of people. I don't know how long I kept on running—it might as well be an eternity.
 
Moron! Stupid idiot! I repeated those words in my mind, every step I made, every breath I took. I ran until I could almost feel my lungs about to burst. Hope and despair warred within me as I ran, and I failed to see the rock jutting in my way. I tripped.
 
And when I did, despair won over hope.
 
“Damn it!” I panted. I squeezed my eyes shut, fending off the tears that threatened to fall. I pounded a fist on the dusty ground, distantly noting the pain that traveled up my arm. How could I have been so stupid to have brought the thing with me? Common sense dictated that one does not bring valuable family heirlooms on trips like this.
 
Kaoru, you idiot! How could you have done something as colossally stupid as this? Father—no, generations of Kamiyas will haunt you in your sleep tonight! You'd better get that sword back or—
 
“Woudja lookit this! What a beaut!” I snapped out of my misery as a distinctively nasal voice reached my ears.
 
“Ought to fetch a lotta cash, that's for sure,” another voice replied.
 
I turned my head sharply to track where the voices came from. Sure enough, there were two men standing in the alley beside me—one of them had brown hair, and he had my sword with him!
 
Hope surged through me, fueled by anger. “Oi!” I yelled, jumping to my feet and charging toward them. “That's my sword you got there! Give it back!”
 
The thief started and whipped around, giving me a good look at him. He had a rat-like appearance to him, sharp-featured and beady-eyed, complete with protruding front teeth. His companion was taller, and although his features didn't scream `bad guy'—in fact, he looked rather tame—the glint behind his droopy eyes were telling me otherwise.
 
“Don't see your name on it, boy,” the taller one drawled.
 
My eyebrow twitched at the word `boy'—but then again, I deliberately wore male clothing, hadn't I?
 
“Yeah? Look carefully, pal, and you'd see it has Kamiya written on it,” I growled. “Now if you don't mind, give me my sword back, and I promise not to hurt you too much.”
 
A moment of silence passed as the two goons gaped at me before guffawing. “I'd like to see ya try,” the scrawny one scoffed.
 
If memory served me right, those were Yahiko's words before I trounced him soundly yesterday. Ooh! I really hate it when people underestimate me. I could take these two easily. I mean, they're just run-of-the mill goons, right? I've beaten these kind of guys too many times to count.
 
“Bad move, jerk. Now you've really pissed me off,” I snarled, pointing my bokken at him. Droopy-eyes smirked and held out his hand out to Rat-guy, who handed him my sword.
 
“Looks like I'll be testing my new sword on you,” he remarked, drawing out Blue Swordbreaker from its wrappings.
 
I felt something twitch somewhere on my face. His new sword? He doesn't deserve to even look at it!
 
My temper surged. “That does it! You're going down, you—you—asshole!” I screamed, charging at him. At the back of my mind I noted that the a-word had been my third cuss word for the day. Sano would be so proud.
 
Droopy sidestepped easily and deflected my attack without drawing the sword from its sheath. Rat hooted. “C'mon, finish `im off, Jin,” he jeered.
 
“Oh, I will,” Jin said mildly, finally drawing the sword. He smirked and licked the blade to taunt me. “Well? What are you waiting for, boy? If you want this, you gotta come and get it from me first.”
 
“I intend to do just that.” I narrowed my eyes, trying to come up with a plan of attack now that he's using a sword.
 
Jin let out an amused chuckle and rolled his eyes. “And you're going to use that toothpick? Please. Well, whatever floats your boat, then.” And then suddenly, without warning, he attacked.
 
I was wrong in my initial assessment of this guy. He was surprisingly agile, and his sword skills were better than the average goon. Since his sword had a sharp edge, I couldn't use my bokken to block his attacks. At one point, the blade came close to slashing my forehead, managing to shear off a few strands of hair.
 
My mind worked furiously, trying to find any sort of break in his defense. I tried to hold back the tide of frustrated anger that threatened to cloud my judgment, but the smirk on Jin's face only served to inflame it all the more.
 
“Had enough?” Jin taunted. I didn't respond, drawing my lip back into a grimace. Keep cool, I told myself. Come on, think! Where should I—
 
“Don't you know that carrying swords and fighting in public is a crime?” someone behind me suddenly spoke up.
 
“Eh?”
 
I glanced behind me and saw a tall silhouette of a man blocking the alley. A thin wisp of smoke curled from his cigarette. Cool amber eyes quickly assessed the situation. The man took another drag from his cigarette slowly and deliberately.
 
I only know of one character that fits that description.
 
“Well, well, if it isn't Raccoon-girl. Fancy meeting you here,” Saitou smirked. “Fighting in public, eh?”
 
“Hey, I didn't fight because I wanted to,” I snapped. “I'm fighting because these two right here—” I indicated the two goons, who looked at the exchange between Saitou and me with mild interest—”stole my sword! I was fighting to get it back. And before you get started with swords being illegal in public, I'll have you know that I had it safely wrapped and I have no intention of using it. I have it with me because I'm bringing it to someone to have it repaired. Or something.” Okay, so that part was a lie, but still. This is Saitou I'm talking to. I don't have to explain my true motives to him.
 
Saitou blew out a stream of smoke. “Or something, eh? All right. You said they stole your sword?”
 
“Yes,” I said exasperatedly. “And if you want proof, it has my family name etched on the scabbard.”
 
Saitou flicked his cigarette away and drew his sword. “If you're lying, I'll arrest you.” I opened my mouth to tell him to back off, that this is my fight, but then again, this is Saitou. Much as I hate to admit it, he'd kick my butt. Still, having Saitou come to my rescue rankled—I ought to give that jerk a piece of my mind for sticking his nose into other people's businesses!
 
Jin and the thief looked nervous as Saitou turned his attention on them. They should be, because I have to admit that Saitou looks scary. “Raccoon-girl here tells me that you've stolen her sword. Hand it over before I beat on both your asses.”
 
“Yeah? Make me,” Jin sneered in a show of false bravado. Saitou smirked, looking absolutely feral.
 
“Hn. You asked for it.” With that he—do I still have to describe it? I mean, this is the Wolf of Mibu we're talking about here. While I believe that Kenshin's the greatest swordsman to ever walk the face of the earth, even I can't deny that Saitou's swordsmanship is superb.
 
And that, of course, resulted in Jin and the thief's defeat. Saitou bent down and retrieved the sword and sheath from Jin's limp grip. “Looks like you're telling the truth,” he remarked, studying the kanji of my family name on the sheath. He also inspected the sword. “Fine sword you've got here. What were you thinking, letting it be stolen from you?”
 
“I'd rather not talk about it,” I said tightly. “Anyway, thank you for helping me out.” I held out my hand. “I'd like to have my sword back please, if you don't mind.”
 
“Hn. Swords like these are not meant to be handled by the likes of you, but since you own it, I guess I don't have a choice.” I bit back a scathing reply as Saitou put the sword back in its sheath and handed it to me. “Do me a favor, will you? Go to the police station nearby and tell them to pick up these miscreants.”
 
I resisted the urge to mock-salute him and spun on my heel to do what he had asked. A few minutes later, the police picked up the two and hauled their sorry asses to jail. Ha. That ought to teach them not to mess with me—all right, so Saitou had butted in to do the dirty work for me, but I could've handled those two on my own.
 
“So where are you off to, Raccoon-girl?”
 
“Will you quit calling me that?”
 
“Don't you know it's rude to answer a question with another question?”
 
I hate Saitou. I really, really hate him.
 
I grunted irritably and said, “It's none of your business, all right? Thanks for helping me out, but I really have to get going. Good bye.” I turned and stomped away. Having a barrel of laughs such as Saitou save me grated on my pride, and what's worse, it reminded me for the hundredth time of my shortcomings on my swordsmanship.
 
“Give my regards to Battousai,” Saitou called after me mockingly, his voice carrying over growing distance between us. Ooh…the nerve of that jerk, mentioning Kenshin at a time like this! He really knows how to push people's buttons, doesn't he?
 
I growled under my breath and pushed Kenshin out of my mind. Seriously, this isn't the time to think of that red-headed idiot—I mean, I haven't been away for more than a few hours, and already I'm missing him!
 
Oh, Kenshin…I sighed.
 
I smiled a little as I remembered the startled look on his face when I kissed him. I can't believe I did that, I thought, amazed at my daring earlier. Okay, so maybe it was just a peck on the cheek, but it's a start, ne? Besides, guys with issues like Kenshin need to take things slow—although I might already be a graying old maid by the time he decides to make his move.
 
I can see it now…
 
“Kaoru-dono,” Kenshin wheezes, will you give this unworthy one the honor of becoming your husband?”
 
“Oh—hack—Kenshin!” ; I warble out joyfully. “You have no idea how long I've waited for this! Fifty years of waiting and pining and hoping! Of course I'll marry you—coughcoughhack!”
 
“Eh? Come again, Kaoru-dono? This unworthy one didn't quite hear you.” Kenshin raises a wizened, liver spot-covered, arthritic hand to his nearly deaf ear.
 
“I said yes, idiot!” I snap at him, bopping his head, now silver instead of red (hey, it rhymes!) with my bokken that will also serve as my cane.
 
“Oroo…He collapses swirly-eyed to the ground.
 
Then Grandpa Yahiko comes tottering up with his horde of spiky-haired grandkids to congratulate us. “Hey, dogface! I heard ole Kenshin `ere finally popped the question! I'm impressed the senile old coot remembered his proposal!” He grins with only a few teeth left in his mouth, then guffaws loudly. “Good luck with the honeymoon! Don't wear him out, ya hear?”
 
“What's that?” I raise a hand to my ear. “Speak up, Yahiko-chan.”
 
“Don't call me that! Ugly!”
 
“Why you—come back here, you brat!”
 
“Catch me if you can, Ugly!”
 
I chase him—or at least I try to—to give him a good whack on the head. Actually, chasing wouldn't be an appropriate word—shuffling after him would be a more accurate description. Meanwhile, that redheaded idiot would still be on the floor, unconscious and swirly-eyed, twitching on the floor with rheumatism.
 
I sighed and shook my head. Mou, what a nightmare! But the way my lovelife's going—or, rather, my lack thereof—it wouldn't be much of a stretch that what I had just imagined would happen, would it? That's what I get for having such an overactive imagination.
 
Ugh. Quit thinking about him, will you? Just focus on what you have to do. FOCUS!
 
I nodded firmly and squared my shoulders, pushing any thought of Kenshin away once and for all—well, for today, at least. I don't think I would be able to keep from thinking about him for more than a day.
 
Anyway, I decided to duck into the restaurant to plan what I had to do. I ordered some tea to mull it over.
 
Trying to think in a crowded restaurant was no easy feat. It was nearing noon, and apparently some people decided to avoid the lunch hour rush. The din of conversation, shouted food orders, and the clink of china surrounded me as I sat there.
 
Now that I was done thinking about Kenshin, I decided to brood on other matters. My hand tightened on my teacup as I replayed in my mind the fight earlier and Saitou's unwanted intervention. How is it that I managed to defeat a scythe-wielding assassin with nothing more than a wooden sword handle, but when faced with an ordinary goon, I was helpless? I should have been able to defeat the guy much easier.
 
Come on, don't be so hard on yourself—you simply didn't have enough time. I mean, it was a showdown between you and Kamatari, ne? Confronting thieves in an alley is different.
 
Different? How can it be different? Kamatari and Jin were both your opponents—there shouldn't be any excuses. No excuses, Kaoru. Opponents are supposed to be defeated, whatever the circumstances were.
 
You need to improve. Badly.
 
I sighed and swirled the tea in my cup, resting my chin on one hand. My edge is getting dulled. Ever since Kenshin came into my life, I had been dependent on him. I think…I think, on some unconscious level, I had expected him to always rescue me whenever I'm in trouble. I was alone for so long, even before my father died, that when somebody showed some interest in me, I latched on to it. I wanted to be cared for, and to be protected. Who doesn't? It's tiring to protect yourself all the time.
 
But I'll be damned if somebody gets hurt protecting me.
 
Besides, I don't want to be protected all the time. I want to be able to protect those I hold dear to my heart.
 
“After that fight with Shishio, Ken-san shouldn't be made to fight. His body is deteriorating…”
 
I want to protect Kenshin. It's my turn now.
 
Seems that you want a lot of things, Raccoon Girl. But wanting won't get you anywhere—better get off your lazy butt and start training!
 
With that resolve, I downed my tea, burning my tongue in the process. I hurriedly paid for my meal, and headed to Chuo Ward, to cross the Nihonbashi bridge, in order to travel down the Tokaido Road.
 
From this point on, I'm going to be on my own. Even though being alone was what I wanted, I couldn't help but question myself for the nth time if I've made a mistake of leaving home. For an indefinite period, I won't have anybody to go home to—heck, I don't have a home, period. And home was very important to me.
 
“I'm home…”
 
“Welcome back…”
 
Until I find the answers I needed, I'll be adrift and alone. I'll be questioning myself all the time, if my musings are any indication. But they're nothing more than distractions keeping me from my goal.
 
I will find my answer, just as Kenshin did. Once I do, maybe I can also find the happiness that I deserve.
 
Yes, that sounds just about right. I just hope—no, I will see it through. With that, I smiled slightly, letting the wind play with my hair.
 
I am Kamiya Kaoru. I will fulfill that which I have set out to do.
 
STORY NOTES
 
Shinbashi Station: According to Wikipedia, “Shinbashi is the original terminus of Japan's first stretch of railway, the Tokaido Main Line, and one of Japan's oldest stations.” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shimbashi_Station)
Tokaido Road: The most important route in Japan during the Tokugawa era, which linked Kyoto to Edo (modern-day Tokyo). The name `Tokaido' meant eastern sea route. During the Tokugawa Era, people went `up' to Kyoto, and `down' to Edo. However, when the Meiji Restoration came about and when the Emperor moved his Imperial Palace to Tokyo, which in turn transferred the capital from Kyoto to Edo, people traveled `up' to Tokyo and `down' to Kyoto.
Chuo Ward: An area in Tokyo where the Nihonbashi is located.
Nihonbashi: The business district of Chuo Ward, and an area surrounding the bridge of the same name. It is where the Tokaido Road begins. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihonbashi)
 
AUTHOR'S NOTE
 
Hello there! Sorry for the long delay, and for previous readers, I apologize if I revised this again. Having Kaoru travel down the Tokaido Road had been an exciting idea, one I've struggled with for a time, because that meant revising again. But it just wouldn't let me go, so…yeah. Please bear with my fickleness and my sporadic updates, because I just want this to be a story I'm happy telling. And it would make me happier if you reviewed my story. Constructive criticism would be very much appreciated, although if you're planning to give me a thorough criticism, please send it to toastyann@yahoo.com. Thank you very much for reading my story.