Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ The Man who Loves Kamiya Kaoru ❯ A Rest in Kuwana ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Walking through the main street of the city, Kuwana, a small group of travelers passed a comfortable looking inn.
 
“Kenshin, can we stop here for tonight? I don't mean to be a bother but it's getting dark and I'm pretty tired,” Kamiya Kaoru said, laying a hand on Himura Kenshin's robe. Another travel companion, Myojin Yahiko scoffed.
 
“Kaoru, you're so weak! You shouldn't have come to Kyoto if you couldn't handle rough situations-” The fist of a fourth person in the group suddenly came down on top of Yahiko's head.
“You know, Kenshin, stopping here's not that bad of an idea. We haven't eaten a good meal since Kyoto and I wouldn't mind having one,” Sagara Sanosuke said, holding off a now mad Yahiko with one arm. The last companion, Misao Makimachi nodded.
 
“Yeah, Himura, and we even have some spare change thanks to helping out those people in the last town!”
Kenshin smiled. In truth, he wanted to go as far as possible tonight. He had heard rumors about the whereabouts of a man who was so eager for a wife he was killing off husbands to take theirs and then when they did not satisfy his heart, he killed them too.
If the rumors were to be believed, this menace resided only a few towns away. However, Kenshin knew it was a ways to go and it was getting dark. A look at Kaoru-dono told him that this stop would have to be. She looked so tired and travel worn that he almost regretted taking her along on this mission. He glanced at Sano, Yahiko, and Misao and nodded.
 
“This is a good resting spot for the night, this one thinks,” he said.
 
 
An hour later, Kenshin and company were lounging in their rented room eating a delicious dinner. Yahiko and Sano scarf down their food quickly, displaying no manners at all. Kaoru and Misao held back somewhat, but their hunger was unmistakable. Kenshin smiled again, and continued eating in his usual slow way.
 
Two workers soon came to inform them that the communal baths were ready if they desired. They said they would lead the men and women to their respective bath. The little gang eagerly bustled out the door.
 
On the way to the baths they passed and open room where a few men were eating and drinking while getting entertained by some women. Kenshin and the others took no notice, but that wasn't the point.
 
“Tokome, did you see that beautiful woman? I've never seen anyone like that,” a handsome man said as he peered around the entertaining women to the beauty passing by outside. His companion laughed.
 
“Ryunosuke we are surrounded by beautiful woman, why is that one important?”
 
Ryunosuke drank the last of his sake. “I don't know, but I want to go find out,”
 
“Ryu-she's going to the bath, no doubt, you'll have to wait until she comes out,” Tokome said, shaking his head. Ryunosuke grinned.
 
“My dear, Toko, what kind of man are you? The bath is a fine place to meet a beautiful woman.” He pushed away the dancing woman in front of him and left the room. Tokome shook his head again, wondering which of the two women who'd passed had gained Ryunosuke's attention.
Tokome had also noticed men with them. He wondered if wondered if those women had husbands, than he laughed to himself. Husbands had never stopped Ryunosuke before.