Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ The Second Fallen Star ❯ The Beginning ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Warnings: Contains character death, yep, already. 'sides that, just violence really. Not in this chappie though.

Disclaimer: Don't own'em. If anybody wants to sell them to me, I'll take them though. Anyone takers?

AN: My first story. Yay. Hehehe, sorry if there's a lot of errors in it. I want to think the coolest girl ever for beta reading for me so mucho thankies Cor.. I guess this is AU cause the character death. Anyhow, read and enjoy. Even if it kills ya (evil laugh) (cough cough). And finally, here's the story:

The scant sunlight coming through his windows and making shadowy figures on the floor informed him that time was passing. Sometimes, people would come. Most of the time they would even talk but he didn't hear anything they said. Instead, he stayed embraced, immersed in his numbness because there, he didn't hurt. He didn't feel which was good because right then, feeling would be bad. Very bad. It would mean he would have to admit to things he didn't want to admit to.

More footsteps could be heard coming across the thin floor. “Kenshin! Dammit Kenshin. You can't just sit there forever,” he heard Sano say but like everything else, it sounded far off. He slowly looked up, his flaming hair falling into his amethyst eyes. He didn't remember taking it down. Maybe he'd never put it back up. It didn't matter.

The taller man moved, agitated and unable to sit still. He didn't know what to say to get through to Kenshin. He couldn't handle words but he couldn't just sit by and watch the man who'd become his best friend waste away. He knew that most days, Kenshin didn't even leave the room to eat. He'd been thin to begin with but now he was all bones, hollows having appeared under his eyes. His youthful appearance was beginning to wear off and his 28 years now looked 36. He hadn't spoken a more than a monosyllable in a week. At first they had all assumed he would slowly snap out of it, that he would deal with it in his own way but it had been months and he hadn't changed. In anything, he'd digressed.

“I miss her too,” he finally said softly, saying the only thing he could: the truth. “We all do. It's not somethin' you can just wipe outta your mind but you can't stay like this. She wouldn'ta wanted you to do this. You have to start moving past it.”

Without looking up, Kenshin stood, his small frame trembling slightly from mental exhaustion. When he spoke, his eyes were always trained on the ground. “I know that you came here to help me and I thank you for it. However, there is no way to simply move on. Miss Kaoru is gone forever and nothing I will ever do will change that.” At first Sano believed Kenshin was agreeing with him but the rurouni wasn't finished. “I lost the first woman I loved and swore never to get with any woman again. Miss Kaoru made me want to take that chance again but to do so a third time would be foolish. Anything would be.” Finally through, Kenshin made to move past the brunette.

While he had been wanting him to finally leave, Sano wasn't about to leave it at that. Gripping his arm tightly enough to keep him in place but not hard enough to hurt him, Sano stopped him. “No one's saying you have to meet anyone else. But you can't just die. Your still alive and your going to have to start acting like it,” he told him, his voice harsh. Though Kenshin had been more open with his feelings than was usual, the fighter was still worried. Now that he got the smaller man talking, he didn't want to stop. “Yahiko is taking it really badly too but he's going outside more now. He even visits her grave sometimes. We're all really worried about you. Just... come out and have dinner with us once. You, me, the Doc, Yahiko, and Megumi.”

The hesitation made itself known in the small arm he was holding. His muscles tightened up and his entire body became tense. Deep down, Kenshin felt as if by doing anything, he was betraying Kaoru. When he had lost Tomoe, he had been lost but, in many ways, it had been different. When she had taken the mission, she had known there was a chance she would die. She was young but in many ways, she had been old beyond her years. Though the loss was hard, it had been the first wound and in truth, it had never truly healed. Now, the same wound had been cut deeper, bleeding more. Kaoru had been young in body and spirit. She still had so many hopes and dreams and now, they had been buried with her.

“I will go to one dinner,” he finally answered, more to appease his friend than anything. He would have no appetite and his conversation skills would be oddly lacking. Already, he was regretting his decision.

“Great,” Sano said, putting extra jovial in his voice though it sounded fake even to his ears. “We'll come by and getcha a little later today,” he said before leaving.

Yahiko had been staying with Doctor Gensai so when the ex-fighter-for-hire had left, silence once again descended over the once quiet dojo. He sighed. It was going to be a long night.

Even more A.N.: I know it seems weird for a first chapter but more things will be revealed as we go along. So stay tuned . And ummmm...PLEASE REVIEW. As a new writer, I really need to know how I'm going. If I don't think anyone's reading I will finish the fic I'll get lazy and all my motivation will leave me. Then the poor little Kenshin peoples will just sit in limbo. NOOOOO!