Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ The Way of the Sword ❯ Revelations: A Warrior's Creed ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Alex Hyacinthe
Revelations: A Warrior's Creed

As abruptly as it had begun, the rain stopped. Emerging from the damp, silent forest, Kenshin was struck by dazzling sunlight. It had been three days since he left Kyoto, and another one since he had entered the woods. But his memory had not failed him. He had reached his destination.
The wooden shack looked as if it might collapse at any moment. Pressed up against the side of a hill, an unwitting traveler could have easily missed the structure, but Kenshin was not one to lose his wits. Wiping his brow, Kenshin trudged towards the shack.
He was blind. Kenshin knew that before he entered the hut. But he did not let the man's lack of sight fool him. As if reading the master assassin's mind the man spoke:
" I was wondering how long it would take you." Despite the hardships he had been through over the past few days, Kenshin found himself smiling.
" Hello master, I came as fast as I could." The old man spared him grim smile before fixing his sightless eyes directly on Kenshin's. Their gazes stayed locked for a moment, finally Kenshin turning his eyes aside. The man nodded satisfactorily: " Well, why have you returned here instead of seeking shelter? Did you accomplish your mission?" Kenshin's eyes widened for an instant, he had not mentioned a mission. Suddenly all the pieces came together.
Allowing his hand to fall down towards his blade, Kenshin approached the man carefully. " Yes master, the mission is complete." The old man smiled: " Excellent. You must never forget, the mission takes priority over all else, including one's honor. After the mission, all slights against one's honor must be taken care of, and after that, well it is a matter of personal choice."
Defying logic, the blind man paced over to the window, and threw it open, the sun bouncing off of his face and around inside the shack. He then turned to his one time pupil. Kenshin watched, as the light seemed to give the older man a glowing aura. Then he drew his sword.
The master smiled at the student: " I did not think I would be able to fool you for long," reaching to a rack against the wall, the man drew his own weapon, " come then, let us dance." Aura glowing a dull blue, the man lashed out with his first attack...
As the sun set, Kenshin rose from his kneeling position. Knodding his head at the freshly dug grave, he bid his master a final farewell before heading off into the setting sun. " Cargas Forthwith, he...to the west," the old man had gurgled before relinquishing his last bit of life. Now Kenshin was determined to pay Mr. Forthwith a visit.