Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ TIMELESS ❯ Soulmate ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

TIMELESS

Standard Disclaimers Apply

Warning: Major OOCness

***PROLOGUE***

1867, Kyoto

Chaos was everywhere. Explosion of cannon fire and burning ships could be heard and seen. Smoke covered everything, blackening the sun and seeping through invisible cracks, slowly devouring breathable air. Screams could be heard everywhere. A young man with red hair and cross-scarred cheek moved among the men, taking them down one by one with lightning fast technique. The dawning of the new era is fast-approaching. Victory is on their side.

Now as he peered into the waters of the Yodo-gawa, his lips were set with determination. His amber eyes reflected a sea churned by two raging forces that sucked innocents in its whirlpool of destruction. His back stiffened and he raised his head to challenge anyone who would destroy the era he fought so hard for.

Amber eyes glowed against the darkness, his lips twisting in a ghost of a smile. "There's something about this day………something troubling. Something that summons up long-forgotten hopes and dreams that are better left buried."

He began to remember things he shouldn't have remembered. Things like the haunting scent of jasmine on a summer breeze, the velvet texture of a woman's cheek. The slow, slanting smile that spoke of pleasures soon to come…Who is this woman that began to haunt his dreams since Tomoe died?

"Kenshin!" shouted Katsura Kogoro running up to him. "It won't be long now, our victory is assured. What are you going to do once this is over?"

"I don't know, but one thing is for sure, I will never kill again…….ever!"

Katsura nodded. "Good luck then, Kenshin. I hope you'll find what you're seeking in life." He gave Kenshin an affectionate pat on the back and left.

Kenshin closed his eyes and in a pained voice whispered, "Tomoe, I shall keep my promise." Then looking up at the sky he thought. "I wonder what's in store for me once this war is over."