Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Wanderer ❯ The Tragic Story ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Important Information

Ages-

Kaoru Himura/Kamiya (The real one)- 35
Kenshin Himura- 45
Enishi Yukishiro (Real one)- 41
Kenji Himura/Kamiya- 15
Yahiko Myojin- 27

(The reference to spirit wise will be explained later, for now.. ignore it.)
Kaoru Yukishiro/Uneki (Fake)- 18 (spirit wise, 50)
Enishi Yukishiro/Shijin (Fake)- 24 (spirit wise, 52)

Disease mentioned earlier- WARNING!!! CAUTION!! SPOILER WITHIN THE NEXT

I wrote that there were markings of the disease in a previous chapter....
In the ova, not sure about the series, Megumi mentions that Kenshin's body is "deteriating" because of all the strenous physical activity that he's been doing. His body can't keep up with the amount of stress the Hiten Mitsurugi Style inflicts on his body Eventually, twards the end, you see these scars and red welts all over his body, and on Kaoru, which causes his death (my interpretation... hence "markings"). She tells Kaoru that she has to be strong for him, and smile... and that if he continues to fight, he will more then likely destroy his body, and eventually quicken his approaching death. She explains that there isn't a cure for this. The disease is Leaprosy... ^^; thanks to Shessah's Crazy for informing me.). Since Kenshin is so much stronger than Kaoru, he has not yet succumbed to the disease as Kaoru has.

Originally, the coughing of blood had nothing to do with the illness mentioned above, this is an entirely different illness, and relates to what is currently happening to Kaoru. This will be explained later.

----------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------------


His heart stopped for a moment, and his slacked jaw tightened as he watched Enishi approach, wrapping his finely toned arm around his 'mothers' waist. Questions swarmed through his mind... How did Yukishiro get here? What was wrong with Kaoru.. and why in the world did she look so... healthy and young? Not that he was complaining that she was better. It all seemed like a mircle, and at the same time the worst nightmare he had ever seen, even worse then when he'd beleived her to be dead by Enishi's hands those long years ago. After a decade or so of not ever seeing the white haired man, he still couldn't shake off the anger and hatred he had for this 'enemy'. "Kaoru...? It's me.. Yahiko.. remember? Yahiko-chan?" Though he loathed to refure himself as 'chan', he knew that if any name spurred her memory, it would be that one.. "Don't you remember me Busu?" He put an emphisis on the term ugly, hoping that she would start chasing him down, and sort of recognition or old habit would due to calm him now. His mind was in a panic, she looked so much younger then when he'd seen her last, as if not a day had passed by since she was still a Kamiya, a young strong and single lady. He was fairly sure that he himself was older then her right now. There was something different about her, not just her appearance, or her mememory. Gray eyes stared back at him, cold and deep, as if an endless pit without a single emotion. Was it just his imagination, or did Kaoru used to have blue eyes? A quick glance at Enishi, and he found that the mans eye's were similarly colored.

"Hmmm... let me think for a moment." She pretended to ponder, repeating the name once or twice, it rolled off her tongue, sounding painfully familiar in Yahiko's ears. Her eye's brightened after mumbling the name one last time, "AHA!! nope... I don't beleive I even know you." Her lips curved in a mocking smirk, and turned to rest her head against Enishi's chest, tucked within the curve of his arm. She reached a hand out, and carressed Yahiko's cheek for bit.

He repressed a shiver as felt her cold fingers come in contact with his skin, his eye's burned with hope as her fingers slid down to below his chin, and two fingers tilted his head up a bit. He stared into those unfamiliar eyes, and almost cringed with despair at her next comment. "Though.. little Yahiko-chan, you are pretty cute.. for a kid." He didn't know why, she never had this sort of effect on him before, but he could feel the blood rushing to his face, and his cheeks were vivid pink. He stuttured, "Kaoru Yu-yukishiro?" He said the last name as if he were afraid to hear her answer. Kenji didn't meantion anything about his mother remarrying... She laughed, a melodic sound, captivating him as if siren. There was so much difference about her, such as her aura... where once it was kind and compassionate, she emitted a sense of mystery, and danger. Yet at the same time, she seemed so alluring. He was suddenly sick with himself, what in the world was he thinking?! In his mind, she was still a good 8 years older than him. But she looked no older than 18 right now.

Enishi bent down, ignoring the glare that Yahiko sent his way at his actions. His lips lightly nibbled at Kaoru's ears, and he whispered, though loud enough for Yahiko to hear. "Love, stop flirting with the boy, he's out of your league.... the boys probably 9-10 years older than you... besides..." He emitted a soft growl, tightening his hold on the girl as she giggled, "your already taken, remember?". Enishi shot the older man (Yahiko) a smug look, as Kaoru reached up and cupped his face, pulling it down to take his lips in a deep kiss.

"My my my, jealous aren't we? I hope that reassured you that I have eyes for no one else?" She suddenly remembered something, catching herself before she made a dreadful mistake. Uneki had almost forgotted that this body was 18, and not the blonde haired 27 year old form she had as one of the dead. She would have to be careful of what she said, and especially careful to remember that here, amongst the living.. she had taken the name Kaoru Kamiya. A pity the real Kaoru wasn't here to see the real world. She almost felt sorry for the girl... Almost. Kaoru, or rather... Uneki turned to answer Myojin-sans question.. "Well... " She forced an innocent act, knowing full well that she was embarressing the young man; she would have fun toying with this one. "Actually, it's Kamiya... but I like to go by Yukishiro," She smiled up at the white haired man, "after all... that will soon be my name." With that, the said man lunged down, growling, and she squeeked, slipping from his grasp.

Shijin just couldn't resist anymore. He didn't care who was watching, it'd been decades since he even had the chance to hold his beloved, let alone touch her. Back in that hidious realm, his beloved had been lost, wandering the earth as a phantom. He himself had somehow managed to find his way to that accursed underworld, and stayed there... trapt and isolated from his mate. Now that they were together again, he wasn't going to let this boys presence stop him from expressing his joy at having a solid body again. He lunged for her, cornering her, a smirk upon his lips as she giggled. One more attempt to grab her, and she slid out of his reach. This time, he feinted to the side, and jerked back, catching her in his arms. The two slumped to the floor, savoring the taste of each others lips. He pressed her to the floor, and worked at the bindings of her clothes, not seeming to care that they were laying upon a blood covered floor. Within the next few hours, he would claim this new body of hers as his own... What happens with them next? I'll let your imagination take you where it likes.

Yahiko turned, disgusted by the time a third kiss came around, he didn't know what was going on, but he didn't care to sit and watch the show. He turned and made his way out of the room, closing the door behind him. Blood rushed to his cheeks as he thought of what was soon to happen behind those closed doors. Shaking such thoughts from his mind, he found a suitable guest room, and decided to stay here till Kenji returned. Something strange was going on, and he couldn't figure out what. This new Kaoru didn't seem to remember anything of the past. Her entire attitude and personality had changed, as if this wasn't even the same person. He'd never really known Enishi, so he couldn't really say the same for him. But whatever the case, these strange occurances made his mind spin. The only true comforting thought was that Kaoru was alive, and healthy; at least... that's what he thought.

--------------------------------------------------------- -------
The two red haired warriors stared at each other, blue orbs turned amber glared down at his violet eyed father. If one approached, they could almost feel the fire of anger that burned around the younger boy. Kenji's fists were clenched, molten amber entertwined with sapphire blue, jaws were tightened, and teeth grinding against each other, lucky for him he didn't bite his tongue, fore it would easily has been chewed through. He stood there for a moment, glaring into the sorrowful eyes of his father. His anger disappated, and his mouth parted in a chuckle. The sound of his voice, laughing was barely audible over the rustle of leaves... however it rung in his fathers ears. It was all he could do to keep himself from crumbling, to keep himself from breaking down and just giving up. It was the sound of a lost boy, treading the edge of a cliff, staggering closer to the depths of insanity. Why? Why he asks? His head was lowered, eyes veiled and shadowed by bangs.

Kenshin had to force himself not to cover his ears. The laughter frightened him, it placed a terror in his heart, knowing that he caused this boy so much pain. Perhaps he shouldn't have pushed it. But it angered him that his own flesh and blood would treat him in such a manner... without a single explination. He didn't know wether to hug his son, or leave him be. He settled for something in between, taking a hesitent step forward, Kenshin placed a hand on Kenji's shoulder. The elder could feel his heart breaking when his son jerked beneath his touch.

"DON'T TOUCH ME!!" That single hand on his shoulder seemed to snap Kenji out of the darkness. His eyes peirced into Kenshins own, consumed by amber. He wished that looks could throw daggers. "Filthy scum.." He landed a punch onto his fathers face, spitting at the figure that had stumbled to the ground at his blow. As Kenshin was started to stand up straight, Kenji noted that his fathers eyes had briefly flashed amber. "You left us... that's why.."

His cheek was throbbing, he could already feel a bruise forming there. However, a small sense of pride filled him... so.. his son was quite strong. He suppressed the Battousai , and the urge to strike back. He couldn't hit the boy... heck, he admitted that he deserved it. Kenshin felt the remains of his heart shatter at the words that reached his ears. He remained quite when his son began to pour out every hate tainted comment about him, he couldn't speak as he listened to the accusations, knowing that all of them were true.

"It was 3 weeks after my 5th birthday that you left... I waited, day by day, week by week for you to come home. No father, no letter. 7 months later, you send a note home, saying you won't be home for a while... you promised to be home by my 6th birthday. I should've known better than to have believed that." His eyes narrowed as Kenshin cringed, just thinking about the past at the old dojo was painful. "From what I've heard, you weren't even there when mother had me. You gave her a child, and left.. coming home to find that you had a son." A sarcastic smile graced his lips, "Oh yes.. you really loved her didn't you? Even after I was born, you'd leave and be gone for weeks, days, or even months. I don't remember you ever staying for longer than a month. I never had a father, and still don't. All I had then was mother... my beautiful mother. You don't deserve her... I wish she'd never met you, wish she could've found someone else, even though it means I wouldn't have been born. At least she would have been happy. All my life, I've grown up with her smiling down at me every morning, every day. I can still see the veiled sorrow, the pain that she kept from me. Did you know she cried every night? Even after our home burned down? She still loves you, though I don't see why." His voice was became dangerously low, and he snarled the next few words, "When you see her... if you hurt her more, I swear to whatever god exists, that I will kill you with my bare hands.

"I was helping those in need!! Protecting you and your mother from a far.." He spoke quietly, wishing that this excuse would be good enough. That it would mend the giant rift between the two. But he knew it wouldn't, knew that he was lying through his teeth. Thats just what he told himself, what he told everyone. It wasn't till now that he was able to admit it to himself.

"Were you?" Kenji ended the conversation with that, he brushed past Kenshin, and made his way to the clearing, readying for the night. He didn't even comment when Kenshin followed and built the fire. They ate in silence, passed each other the packed food without a single murmer of thank you. When the moon rose, still the only sound was the rustling of leaves, the notornal animals, and the sounds of the crackling fire. Each man lay far from the other, on opposite sides of the fire.

Kenshin stared into the distant sky, seeming to be lost within the stars about. His son's words still rung in his ears, 'were you?'. Yes, I was protecting them. He told himself that over and over again. But soon, as he lay restless, his mind fixated on that one 'truth', he began to think.. was that really why? No.. it struck him now. He was afraid. Ever since he was a child every one he cared for had been wretched from hsi grasp. His family, those girls in the slave caravan, Tomoe... He hadn't dared stay. He was afraid to commit himself to a family. He never beleived that he deserved them. Such innocence shouldn't live in the presence of a murderer. He feared for their saftey. There were so many reasons now... he understood. When it came down to it, there was only one truth... He was a blind coward. He swore, never again... he would prove to be a good father and husband. That night, he swore to himself, 'I will protect them, I will be a good father, a good husband... I will make them forgive me... and if not, I will try till the day I die."

------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------

Years ago, in the midst of war and chaos, there were two lovers. One the daughter of an Ishin Shishi official, the other one of the leaders of the Shinsengumi (This is during the bakamitsu?// revolution)). They met on the battlefield, love at first sight as their blades clashed. Several times they fought, and each time they couldn't bring themselves to kill the other, mystified by the other. Finally, the girl, Uneki deserted her group, running off with her new found love. Her father, infuriated, sent the renowned Battousai to assassignate her lover, Shijin. However, when the hitokori attacked, Uniki thrust herself before her lover, and was killed in his place. Soon after, Shijin fell as well. He died with her in his arms. Shijins father grieved over their deaths. He loved the girl as if she were already his own daughter. He wandered Japan, following the leads as to Battousai 's wearabouts, hoping to avenge their deaths and put their souls at peice. He was unable to find the legendary killer. However, he had stumbled upon a magnificant discovery. In the middle of a forest, a ruined temple. And within that temple contained gates, leading to the realm of the dead. He traveled there, and found a new plain. He made a pact with the lord of this realm. This demonic lord would train him, in exchange for his soul. However, the demon did not expect the man to discover the Sphere of Eratimus, a powerful object, granting power to its holder. The demon was slain by his own student. The father, still greived for his son, and sought day and night to find him... he found Shijin's ghost, but was unable to touch him, to talk to him. They never found the girl. It wasn't until years later did he discover a solution. To possess the bodies of a human vessal. By causing a humans lungs to deterate, they could weaken the mortal. When the human was on the brink of death, they would bring the being to a specific spot. The realm of dreams(Mirgurn), and the realm of the dead (Helheim) were barely seperated. The two plains were skewed. There was one specific point where the two realms coinsided (Where Kaoru awoke in chapter 4). Here, the dream form became real. The chosen mortal for Shijin was Enishi Yukishiro, Uneki's chosen vessel- Kaoru Himura. At this location, the humans soul was extracted, and the replacing soul summoned; inserted into the empty vessel. The form would split in two. The real form, which was the figure that existed when awake, and the dream form. Those who inhabited the dream form would wake to find themselves in the mortal realm, in place of the originals. Finding a compatable human was tricky. One had to find a human whos dream form was the correct age. Most people dreamed themselves as children, or even older... some their own age. Most bodies was just much to strong. Enishi's had already been weakened by his insanity, Kaoru by her disease. The father sealed the real mortals away, locked them within a vast room. Their needs were provided for. In truth, they were still very much alive, trapt within the realms of the dead, and their soul lost here. He kept them alive and well, for they still had a strong connection with the dream body, no matter how hard the dead tried, they could never fully conquer the dream vessals. Occassionally with a surge of power, the real forms would breifly merge with dream. However, that was seldem... requiring great will power. If the real form died, so did the dream, and vice versa.

Kaoru listened solemnly to the tale that Enishi told. The sad tale of the lovers almost made her sympathetic for the ones who took their bodies. Almost. She grimly studied her surroundings, she had a feeling that she better start liking it now, for she'd be here for along time.

TBC
---------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------

Hope you enjoyed this chapter!! Something should be clearing up by now, I hoped this chapter helped to answer most of ya'lls questions.