Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ When it Rains ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimers: Rurouni Kenshin was created by Nobuhiro Watsuki. I don't own anything I'm just borrowing.

"......" indicates dialogue

'........' indicates thoughts

WHEN IT RAINS

Chapter 3

Kenshin watched Kaoru and Yahiko training at the dojo. Since yesterday, after their "talking", she's been avoiding his eyes as if she was afraid to look at him. But he knew the real reason, she was hiding something from him and that made him feel ... angry.

Angry with her for not trusting him enough to open herself to him. Angry with him for not being honest with her and himself about the way he felt towards her, about how much he loved her. If he had done things differently then maybe he wouldn't be just the polite rurouni who lived at her house. He would be someone she could share and tell everything.

But above anger there was something else. Fear. Yes, he was afraid of losing her to an enemy he couldn't see, an enemy his sword couldn't reach even with all his skills.

Why was she pushing him away? Was it some kind of revenge for all the times he did the same in the past? He shook his head at the thought, irritated with himself for even considering it. He knew her better than that. Kenshin felt his heart tightened as he remembered something Sano said to him once 'You know what, Kenshin? You shouldn't take her for granted.' Did he? He sighed inwardly.

" Hey Kenshin! I'm talking to you, ya know?!" Sano was sitting next to him and was very angry at the moment for being completely ignored by his friend

"Oro, Sano! Sessha was listening you!" the rurouni lied waving his hands.

"The hell you were!!! What was I talking about then? Sano demanded eyes narrowed in defiance.

Kenshin was caught by surprise; he had no idea of what the street fighter had been talking about. His brows knotted as he did a tremendous effort to think about something quickly.

"Um... you were saying that..." he trailed off. What was the most probable subject that his friend could have been babbling about? He scratched his head, and then it hit him

"You were talking that you're very hungry and wanted to know what we're going to have for lunch de gozaru! Kenshin blustered out almost forgetting to actually breathe.

Sano pressed his lips together annoyed by the read head correct answer. "Oh, well that was a great shot. Lucky bastard." he muttered.

"See, sessha was paying attention." Kenshin smiled at him sarcastically.

"So?" the ex-gangster asked, raising an eyebrow to him.

"So what?" Kenshin returned the question a little confused.

"Helloooo! The lunch, of course!" Sano yelled.

Yahiko whose stomach was already growling, became very interested in their conversation, "Yeah, Kenshin, lunch is a great idea. I'm starving... Hey busu why did you do that for?" Kaoru had just hit his head with her bokken.

"Pay attention at your practice, kid!!" She scolded him

"I'm not a kid, UGLY!"

"That's it!! Five hundred swings now or no food for you today!!

Yahiko began to swing his bokken in an amazing speed, cursing under his breath.

Deciding that preparing the so expected lunch was probably the wisest thing to do, Kenshin left them and led towards the kitchen.

He was chopping a radish and humming to himself when Megumi showed up.

"Good morning, Ken-san!"

Kenshin turned his head around to look at her. "Good morning, Megumi-dono", he greeted her, his usual smile on his face.

"How are you today Ken-san?" She asked walking near him, a strange look on her face as if she was looking at a prey.

Kenshin gulped, what Sano have said about her being all over him more than the usual after she came back was true. Not only that, but she was being extremely harsh on Kaoru lately, never missing the opportunity to provoke the younger one. " Sessha is fine, Megumi-dono. What about you?" he asked politely.

"Oh! I'm feeling great today. You see, I had a wonderful dream last night." She said, a mischievous grin spreading over her face. Walking closer to him, she went on. "Do you want to know what I've dreamed about or even better with whom?" She put one hand at his shoulder but he removed it by walking backwards.

"HOHOHOHO. Ken-san, you silly man, in my dreams you weren't that shy! Oh, no you're very..." She trailed off as Kaoru strode into the kitchen, eyes narrowing as she stared the two of them. 'She's all over Kenshin again. I hate when she acts like that and he never says anything!!! Mou, Kenshin!'

"Hi there Tanuki-chan! I was just talking to Kenshin about the dream I had with him last night but I think you're just to young to hear about it. HOHOHOHO" She winked at Kenshin, "Don't worry Ken-san I'll tell you the rest later, ok?"

"Oro, Megumi-dono. Sessha is not so sure if he wants to know about it either." Kenshin promptly said as he saw Kaoru casting a furious look at them. 'The last thing I want right now is she getting mad at me.' he thought.

Kaoru smiled at him, glad that he had turned Megumi down. 'That serves you right, Fox!'

Kenshin resumed to prepare the lunch as Sano joined them in the kitchen. "Lunch is almost ready minna, I'm almost.... Ouch!!! Megumi-dono, why did you just pinched sessha for?? He asked indignant and blushing.

Kaoru's face also turned red but with anger.

"Wow, Ken-san it was a medical procedure."

*cough* "liar"*cough*

"Shut up rooster head! Sorry, Ken-san, it's just that it looks like you've lost weight. I'm concerned with you. I mean nobody takes care of you here and you have to do all the work. Have you been eating properly? Tanuki-chan hasn't been cooking for you, ne?"

"Megumi!!!" Kaoru growled, fists clenched, she was going towards Megumi when she saw Yahiko and stopped abruptly. He was holding a letter and he was reading it. Her eyes widened and blood was drained from her face.

"Yahiko what are you doing? Give me that." She went to the boy and quickly took the letter away from him. "You had no right!!" she scolded him. 'Now what am I suppose to do, they will find out.'

"Hey, busu!!! I was reading that, you know. What the hell is wrong with you? It's just a letter from Okina telling that the Weasel is coming to Tokyo. It's not like a secret or anything." Yahiko grumbled.

"N-nani? From Okina?" She asked confused, she raised the letter to read. It was, like Yahiko had said, from Okina to tell them about Misao's visiting.

"O-oh I'm sorry Yahiko", she said embarrassed as she realize that everybody was staring at her, "I thought it was..." but then she stopped 'I thought it was another threatening letter, yeah they will just love to know about that, won't they?' her mind scolded her.

"Hey Jou-chan don't tell me you have a secret admirer and didn't tell us?" Sano said playfully completely missing the glare Kenshin shot him.

"Don't be silly rooster head!! Who would send Tanuki-chan here a love letter?" Megumi asked with a cruel voice.

"N-nobody, look I'm sorry I don't know what came over me, ok?!" Kaoru said finding difficult to hide her pain. "I'm tired from the training I think I'll take a quick bath before lunch." She hurried herself out of there, leading to the bathroom but Kenshin's voice stopped her.

"Kaoru-dono, I'll heat the water for you." He was in front of her within a second.

"It's not necessary, Kenshin I can do it myself. I'm not gonna take too long anyway, plus Megumi's right, you do too much already." Kaoru said gazing at him and smiling brightly.

'But I want to do everything I can for you', he wanted to shout at her, however the words never came out of his mouth, instead he agreed, "Aa"

Kaoru went out of the kitchen heading for the bathroom.

"What an ungrateful girl this tanuki is!" Megumi exclaimed sharply.

"Don't pay attention to her, Ken-san. You know, if you want I can make you forget about her very fast, all you have to do is ask." She whispered holding him by his arm.

"Oro!"

*cough* "slut" *cough*

"Rooster head!!"

"What?!?"

******************************************************

Kaoru sank her entire body into the water's tub as thoughts filled up her mind 'Mou! I've got to be more careful. I almost gave myself in for the way I acted there.' She raised her head out of the water.

When she saw Yahiko reading the letter she was alarmed and her first reaction was to take it away from him preventing him and the others to find out about the threatening because then she would have to explain the whole story to them. Everything about her father would have been revealed and she didn't want that, well, at least she thought she didn't. But when she saw that the letter was actually from Okina she felt... disappointment? For one second she thought everything has ended, all the hiding.

The truth was she was tired, Kaoru closed her eyes tightly, tired of keeping all to herself. She remembered last night; she and Kenshin were so close to each other and she just wanted to let go. It felt so good being near him. He was always the one to push her away but this time she was the one who did it and she hated herself for that. 'He might never try anything like that after what happened. Kaoru no baka!!' she scolded herself. Last night, she wanted so badly to tell him everything, he would have hugged her and comforted her. 'Or he would have despised you for lying all this time.' her mind warned her sharply. 'But it's not like I've lied I've just... didn't tell the truth', she tried but the self-reproach insisted once more 'Isn't that the same?' Kaoru sighed. She wasn't ready to tell them.

Suddenly an idea emerged from her mind, 'Misao!! She's a member of the Oniwabanshu! Maybe if I tell her she can help me to, at least, get to know who sent me the letter and I can take care of everything of whoever is before anyone else finds out.' A hopeful smile crept up her lips.*Brrr* Kaoru shivered and squeezed, 'Mou, the water is getting cold I guess I stayed here for too long!'

******************************************************

"Did you enjoy your trip, Misao? Kaoru asked her newly arrived friend as they made their way to the dojo followed by Kenshin and Sano.

"It was great but I wish Aoshi-sama had come with me. Misao said pouting.

"Smart man" Sano muttered under his breath.

"What was that, rooster head?" Misao demanded glaring at him.

"I said...er...that's too bad. I mean he's always sooooo communicative I'm sure I could have a long talk with him." Sano taunted.

"Oro"

"Aoshi-sama is a very reserved man, he wouldn't waste his precious time talking to a rooster head like you!!" Misao replied narrowing her eyes in defiance.

"We could all have dinner at the Akabeko tonight!!" Kaoru offered trying to stop the quarrel. "What do you think, Misao?" she smiled widely, "Isn't it a good idea, Kenshin?" she added.

"It's very good de gozaru, Kaoru-dono."

"Misao?"

"I'd love to, Kaoru." Misao said turning to face the other girl but not before of casting one last glare at Sanosuke.

******************************************************

"Stay away from my food, brat!!"

"F%&# you rooster head, that was mine!"

"Gimme that, kid!"

"No way!"

Kaoru, Kenshin, Misao and Megumi sweatdropped as they watched Sano and Yahiho fighting over food. They were all having dinner at the Akabeko to celebrate Misao's arrival.

" I'm so glad you're here, Misao." Kaoru said happily.

"Me too, Kaoru. I didn't want to miss Tanabata this year." Misao said cherfully.

"Oh, yes! It's almost the time already. I've completely forgotten." Kaoru exclaimed, snapping Yahiko's hand preventing him from stealing her food.

"Don't wait for any present this year, Tanuki-chan, especially a ring." Megumi taunted.

'Did she have to bring that up?' Kenshin asked inwardly looking at Kaoru to see that her face had turned into a livid red. He didn't like the doctor's lack of sensitivity that seemed to be even more accentuated when dealing about Kaoru.

Kaoru was casting Megumi a deadly glare who simply stared back at her in challenge.

"Kaoru, this kimono you're wearing is so beautiful." Misao interfered, smiling nervously.

"Oh! Thank you Misao. You know, if you liked it I can go with you to buy one just like this for you!" Kaoru offered.

"Uh, I don't know if it would be good on me." Misao replied, her voice down.

"Nonsense!! Tomorrow we'll go." Kaoru said, smiling brightly.

"OK, we'll go tomorrow!" Misao agreed, her normal enthusiasm back to her voice.

"The *nhac* Weasel *nhac* and the Ugly *nhac* shopping!!! That should be funny!" Yahiko provoked them amidst bites.

<Hey, Weasel, am I less ugly with this kimono? >

<I don't know, I'm such a weasel>

He spoke in a very thin voice, trying to mimic them but he probably regretted doing so when two powerful fists came crashing brutally against his face.

"Sessha thinks it's a great idea, Kaoru-dono. It might cheer you up a little to go out." Kenshin said meeting Kaoru's blue eyes. He could see right through her and knew that something was bothering her but she refused to tell him what it was.

"Why? Is something wrong Kaoru?" Misao asked curious.

"Yep, Jou-chan has a secret admirer." Sano said playfully.

"It's nothing like that!!" Kaoru exclaimed glaring at him, then she turned to Misao smiling, "I'm fine, Misao. Kenshin is exaggerating, really."

"Yes, but you do seem a little down." Misao said seriously and the she turned to Kenshin and asked playfully, "What did you do to her, Himura?"

"Oro" Kenshin blinked several times.

Megumi rolled her eyes. "Oh! There's nothing wrong with tanuki-chan, she's just trying to get some attention to her", she said sharply.

"Hey!!! It's nothing like that at all!!!" Kaoru huffed angrily.

"Come on, Tanuki, you're just a spoiled little girl who likes making people worried about you all the time."

"Megumi-dono, maybe..." Kenshin began but the doctor interrupted him.

"You know sometimes, Kaoru, you're eve more immature than Yahiko and he's the child!

"Hey!!!!" came Yahiko's protest.

"I mean, what do you know about life anyway? All the rest of us had to endure so many terrible things in the past that you have no idea about. And now you're making Ken-san worried about you for nothing!" Megumi finished, glaring at Kaoru and was ready to say something else.

"Er... fox, I guess you've said enough." Sano said, looking at Kaoru waiting for some violent reply. There was no way she would let Megumi get away with that. The others were too shocked to speak, Megumi's words had been merciless and they became silent also waiting for some reaction from Karou.

Kaoru had her head bowed, preventing any of them to see her face.

"Now what? Are you gonna cry, Tanuki? This is so typical of you I should..." Megumi trailed off when Kaoru raised her head to look at her, surprised for what she saw.

There were no tears.

No anger.

No pain.

Her face was amazingly calm but her eyes were as cold as ice as she stared at the doctor.

"Have you finished?" Kaoru asked in a low but steady voice

"..."

"Good"

Then she got up and began walking away.

"Kaoru-dono where are you going?" Kenshin called.

"Jou-chan, wait."

"Kaoru don't take too serious I'm sure..." Misao began.

But she ignored all of them only turning around once more to stare at Megumi.

"You think you know me so well, don't you? You think you have everything figured out. Oh! Guess what? You don't. None of you do. What do you actually know about what I went through in the past or do you think my life began when I met you all?" Kaoru said, her voice even. Megumi said nothing.

Kaoru gave Megumi one last cold look and turned around to leave.

"Kaoru-dono, wait I'm going..."

"NO!" she curt him short but, not turning to look at him, and without any other word she left.

All Kenshin wanted was to go after her, but he didn't. The way she said... 'None of you do'... the words kept coming back in his head, 'What did she mean by that?' he thought.

"You went too far this time, fox." Sano said, Misao and Yahiko agreed nodding their heads.

"Nonsense! I just..." But she stopped abruptly when she saw the cold look Kenshin was giving to her; his eyes were changed, very different from the sweet rurouni's look. Instead, his eyes were narrowed and a slight golden color could have being seen in their depths.

Megumi gasped, "K-Ken-san?"

"Sano's right, you went too far this time. I don't know why you insist on hurting her." He said in a low voice, "She's the kind of person who keeps everything to herself in order not to worry anyone else, she thinks she can do all by herself and that's what she's doing right now."

******************************************************

Kaoru was walking by the river trying to sort out her feelings, she was angry with Megumi for saying all those things to her but she was also angry at her for behaving in a way that made everybody worried, she didn't want that, her problems shouldn't be a burden for nobody else except her.

Her past. Her burden. They would never know.

"Tssc, tssc. You know, it's not safe for a young girl as yourself to walk all alone. Who knows what could happen?" came a husky voice.

Kaoru looked around to find its source but saw no one. "Who 's there? Show yourself now!"

"Personally, I think your friend was pretty rough on you. Well, what am I saying? I couldn't care less!!"

"How do you... Who are you?" Kaoru demanded brows furrowed.

A huge bald man showed up, getting out behind of a tree, he had an evil grin on his face and was holding a katana. "I was very curious to know you. You're not bad, maybe we can have some fun together, what do you say?"

"Stay away from me your pervert." Kaoru yelled.

The man laughed at her. "Don't worry, I'm not gonna try anything like that. I'm just gonna try to kill you. Oh! Wait, did I just say try? Sorry, my mistake. I'm not gonna try... I will kill you, Kamiya."

Kaoru froze and stared at the man, realization hitting her, "YOU!! You are the one who sent me that letter!! What do you want from me? What did I do to you?"

"You? You did nothing, your father, on the other hand, ruined my life and since he's not here because some lucky bastard has already killed him I'll have to content myself with you. It's a shinai, right?"

"What?" Kaoru asked confused

"What you use to fight, I mean. Here, take it" he threw a wooden sword at her. Kaoru looked at it in question, the man rolled his eyes, "Take it, you know how to use it, right? So what are you waiting for?"

"You can possibly be thinking that I..." but she stopped when she saw the man running towards her in an amazing speed, a sword in his hands ready to strike her. She almost didn't get the shinai in time to defend herself, but when his sword came down to her she was able to block the attack with her own. The man stepped back, smirking, "Not bad. Now it's your turn, come!"

'He's playing with me. How dare him?' Kaoru was furious with the man; he obviously didn't think she was a match for him. She would show him, Kaoru summoned all her anger for her next attack. She lunged forward to strike him right on his face and surprisingly she was able to do so very easily. She smiled to herself 'I guess he's not that strong.' She turned around to face him and her widened, he was laughing as if he didn't even felt the strike.

"Is that all? I guess you don't have your father's skills. Now, it's my turn." the man ran forward and this time faster, he brought his sword down at her, she blocked but her shinai broke in two pieces. The man didn't stop and this time his sword struck her flesh. Kaoru felt on the ground, her eyes wide with pain, blood dripping out of her, she grasp her stomach attempting to stop the bleeding. 'That smell of blood just like that time, but now it's my own.'

The man approached her and she closed her eyes tightly for his last blow but it never came, instead the man grabbed her chin and raised her head to look at her. "I said you'd die and believe me you will.... Soon but not yet." He shoved her back to the ground and walked away.

~~~~~~~~~

AN.: Please tell me what you think. Leave a review!!