Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Bubblegum Crash Fan Fiction ❯ Senshi Sabers ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I own neither the characters from Sailor Moon nor the universe of Bubblegum Crisis.

Senshi Sabers, A Sailor Moon/Bubblegum Crisis Fusion
Part One
Rei Hino led her band up on to the darkened stage, assessing the rowdy crowd in a single cool glance. She looked back at her band mates and ordered, "Hurricane, on three!" She gave them a moment, then counted down, "One... two.. three!" The band exploded into their signature tune, "There's a hurricane tonight," and the crowd sat up and took notice.
Rei stood up there belting out the tunes in her harsh, raspy voice, moving from song to song in perfect sequence. She was feeling deeply angry, about being called in at the last minute, about the crowd's blatant hostility, about a lot of different things, and she was letting that anger fire up her songs with that rage and passion.
By the end of the last set, the crowd had mellowed a lot, accepting the replacement band and the club's owner was standing there beaming happily at them. `We'll probably be playing this dive again,' Rei thought to herself wryly.
As Rei left the stage she felt eyes on her and quickly looked up only to see the back of a blue haired figure who was leaving the dark nightclub by the front doors. With a slight shrug Rei turned to go back into the dressing room to change her clothes, toweling all the sweat away and pulling her tight stage leathers off. The mini-skirt and tiny top were dangerous looking, but they helped keep people from recognizing the former shrine maiden.
There was a knock on the door and an older woman entered quietly. "Nicely done," Natsuna Sakurada said, a bit of gray touching her brown hair.
"Thanks," Rei nodded as she pulled on more comfortable street clothes. She looked over her shoulder to ask, "I've always wondered why an ex-cop runs a nightclub?"
"I didn't like what I was hearing from the AD Police," Natsuna said dryly. She had an admiring smile on her face as she looked her over, "You mind playing here again?"
"Yeah, give me a call," Rei said , pulling her riding leathers on over the clothes. They went out into the hallway together, she waved good-bye to her band mates and left.
Out behind the nightclub the motorcycle started up smoothly, Rei pulled her helmet on over her short black hair and then pulled out into the pounding rain. She wasn't on the road very long before another vehicle pulled in not far behind her own. Rei spotted the sports car almost immediately, and picked up the pace a bit.
They were soon playing a game out on those rain slick streets, a wild bit of cat and mouse as Rei took the turns sharply and pulled off a few rapid accelerations. But the car managed to keep pace, being driven with both precision and a bit of guts.
"It looks like they're serious about this, whoever they are," Rei muttered to herself softly, trying to catch a look at the driver.
Rei finally slowed down her bike a bit while picking out a deserted stretch of the highway to coast slowly to a stop. She climbed off of her motorcycle, popped the kickstand down and then leaned up against the powerful machine to wait for her hunter.
The sports car smoothly glided to a stop just ahead of where Rei stood waiting, and it sat there for a moment. Rei felt the comforting weight of the knife that she always carried at her side and stood there patiently. The door slid open and she was mildly surprised to see a woman get out, pausing a moment to take off a pair of stylish but simple glasses.
"Rei Hino?" the blue haired young woman called out.
"Yeah?" Rei looked at her cautiously.
She walked forward nearer to the circle of light from one of the street lights, and Rei saw a few more details. Short blue hair in a boyish cut, a beautiful face that was very reserved, but it was the eyes that struck Rei hard. There was hidden pain in her eyes, the pain of a person who has lost something or someone terribly precious. It was a look Rei was quite familiar with, knowing that her own eyes carried much the same thing.
"My name is Ami Mizuno," she smiled slightly as she stopped a few steps from Rei, "and I have a business proposition for you."
Rei blew out a angry breath, "Not interested." She turned around, pulled her bike up, and prepared to climb back on.
"I know about your Grandfather, the family shrine," Ami said quietly, "and what happened to him when he refused to sell the land off to the Infinity Organization."
Rei stiffened, a flash of memory striking her hard. Coming home to the shrine from school, seeing the broken down door and finding his body laying there in a pool of his own cooling blood. Beaten to death, a totally random killing the police had said to her, ignoring all of the pressure that Infinity had been putting on them, ignoring all the veiled threats.
"It's all ancient history now," Rei grated out, looking up with eyes that flashed with rage, "the cops couldn't do anything."
"How would you like the chance to make Infinity and Prof. Tomoe pay for what they did?" Ami asked quietly.
Rei met her eyes, and saw sincerity in them. She didn't let herself think about it too much before answering, "Keep talking."
"Instead of talking, why not just follow me?" Ami asked. She climbed into her sports car and after a few moments Rei fell in behind her on the bike. They wove through the bad part of town, leaving it before eventually pulling up to a tall office building. The first floor occupied by a business, the windows displaying dresses and other lacy items for the bedroom.
"Silky Doll?" Rei smiled slightly, following Ami inside.
The reserved young woman actually blushed a bit, but didn't reply as they walked through the racks of seductive clothing and even more revealing lingerie. Ami silently led Rei into a concealed elevator, and they swiftly descended into the basement of the building.
The doors hissed open on a lower level, and Rei saw two other women waiting inside. `Kami, she's tall,' Rei thought, looking up at the brown haired woman. She was clearly athletic, muscles rippling on her arms, and her eyes were a startling shade of green. Lounging in another chair, a blonde haired woman was playing a video game and clearly winning. She was gorgeous, almost idol quality, even with her eyes riveted to the screen.
"Makoto, Minako, I'd like you to meet Rei Hino," Ami smiled, gesturing to the tall woman then over to the blonde.
"So you're our newest recruit," the tall woman smiled. "Makoto Kino," she introduced herself and shook Rei's hand firmly.
The blonde finished her game loudly declaring, "A new high score!" She bounced to her feet and smiled at Rei winningly, "Minako Aino."
Rei pushed her hair back and shot a fierce look at Ami, "What's going on?"
"Come with me," Ami calmly led the three into another room.
Rei noticed both Minako and Makoto exchanging knowing glances as they walked. `They obviously know something that I don't,' Rei thought, trying to control her irritation. The room that they entered was pitch dark, until Ami hit a switch and lit up what waited for them there. "Wow," Rei found herself murmuring.
Four similar looking battle suits rested in charging stations up against the wall. All smoothly female in appearance, they held carefully restrained power, each one looking battle ready. Makoto walked to the green suit, Minako over to the golden armor, and Ami stood beside an icy blue one, with one suit remaining.
"This is the one that I designed for you," Ami gestured to the blood red suit of armor, real pride in her voice.
Rei walked over to it thoughtfully, looking down at the sleek suit. The helmet was warm in her hands, the weight oddly comforting, and she knew, just knew that it would fit her like a glove. Rei looked up at Ami, feeling that intense glance on her once again.
"You built these." Rei said rather than asked.
"Yes," Ami nodded. She took a breath, "The Infinity Organization and their bio-boomers are out of control. I want you to join us in fighting them."
Rei wanted to, God did she want to, but... "So what's in it for me?" she made herself ask with a false sort of casualness.
"Ignoring your personal reasons," Ami actually smiled, "I'll pay you all for each job, as we'll be taking on some mercenary assignments as a cover."
"Good pay, too," Makoto added with a slight smile.
To be continued...