Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / D. Gray-man Fan Fiction ❯ Ice On Ice ❯ The Witches’ Forest, Part Two ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

SailorStar9: Chapter 18 goes up. This is Chapter 19. Read and review.
 
Disclaimers: I do not own both the animes. However, I do own the pairing, I hope.
 
Chapter 19: The Witches' Forest, Part Two
 
***************************************************************** *************************
 
“So, you're the one behind this!” Kanda accused as the two Exorcists burst into the cottage, finding Sophia's father beside a tied-up Guz.
 
Sophia's father quickly shook his head.
 
“Yuu, what did I say about jumping into conclusions?” Ami scolded.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
 
“Thank you very much!” the Finder beamed once his gag was removed.
 
“Shut up! Don't cry!” Kanda retorted.
 
“He came to save me!” Guz replied. “When I came to, I was tied up here.”
 
“When you came to?” Kanda echoed.
 
“Yes, it felt like I was in a dream…” Guz nodded.
 
Ami sighed, “Guz, don't move.”
 
“Huh?” the Finder blinked as the ice wielder froze the ropes that bound him. With a tug, Guz pulled free of his restrains.
 
“I could have done that.” Kanda muttered.
 
“And have you scare him out of his wits again?” Ami raised an eyebrow.
 
“This is the witch's cabin?” Kanda wondered.
 
“I wonder how I got here.” Guz remarked.
 
“You came on your own accord?” Kanda asked as Guz stretched.
 
“So it would seem.” Guz replied. “It just felt like I was dreaming. There was a streak in my dream, and I chased the plate that held it… before I knew it, I was tied up on this bed. I don't know what could have happened.”
 
Meanwhile, Ami had walked over to the chair, her fingers brushing past the harp that lay on the seat.
 
“An intrinsic harp.” She remarked, plucking one of the strings. “And well tuned too. Someone has been here recently.”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Outside…
 
“You…” Kanda growled.
 
“Ah, I guess I'm hungry again.” Guz laughed sheepishly. “Well, now's the perfect time for those…”
 
“Hmm?” he blinked. “Looks like there's a hole in the bag! So that's why they spilled onto the road.”
 
“You didn't do that on purpose?” Kanda asked.
 
“No! I'd never waste them like that!” Guz replied. “This is all thanks to Ms. Sophia.”
 
“What are you three going to do from now on?” Sophia's father asked.
 
“Well, I was planning on going back to your inn and sleeping some more…” Guz replied.
 
“Well, first off…” Kanda started.
 
“Actually, if you go straight this way, you can get out of the village.” Sophia's father told them. “Wouldn't you like to get out of here? I'd like to go with you, if I could…”
 
“Why would you?” Kanda pressed.
 
“Please help me!” Sophia's father begged. “Please! There's a witch in this village! We must run! Please!”
 
“No thanks.” Kanda retorted.
 
“No…” Sophia's father gasped.
 
“Let me ask you this;” Kanda compelled. “Where is the witch? It looked as though someone was living in that cottage quite recently. What happened to her? Why don't you answer me? Could it be that witch is…?”
 
“Sir?” Guz blinked as Sophia's father ran into the woods. “What happened? Why did he run away?”
 
“Negotiations aren't your strong point, Yuu.” Ami sighed.
 
“So, there was a witch...” Kanda reasoned.
 
“What?” he gasped and taking off.
 
The trio arrived just in time to see an Akuma transform in front of Sophia's father.
 
Ami froze the Akuma in place as Guz took this chance to take Sophia's father away.
 
“So you're still here, Akuma?” Kanda hissed, looking at the frozen Akuma straight in the face. With a leap, he sliced through the Akuma, causing it to explode.
 
“I'm sorry!” Sophia's father wept.
 
“Sir, stay with me!” Guz pleaded as the two Exorcists approached.
 
“I'm sorry!” Sophia's father cried. “Please forgive me!”
 
“Déjà vu?” Ami raised a brow as Sophia's father died, numerous pentacles appearing on his face. His body turned black and he was turned into smoke.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
“Let's go.” Kanda told the Finder after they had buried Sophia's father.
 
“Right…” Guz nodded, standing up.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“Ms. Sophia?” Guz blinked as the trio returned to the village.
 
“Welcome home.” Sophia told them. “What happened? Both you and my father were gone when I awoke. I was getting worried.”
 
“Um, well…” Guz stammered.
 
“Sophia, we need to talk.” Kanda cut in.
 
“Yes?” Sophia asked.
 
“Your father is dead.” Kanda revealed. “He died by an Akuma's hand while trying to escape the village.”
 
“Is that so?” Sophia asked.
 
“Sophia, are you a witch?” Kanda asked.
 
“Mr. Kanda, how could you, at a time like this?” Guz rebuked.
 
“Shut up.” Kanda retorted. “I'll ask again. Are you this town's witch?”
 
“No.” Sophia replied. “I am not.”
 
“Then who was living in the witch's cottage until so recently?” Ami asked.
 
“And how do you explain this?” she hissed, tossing the harp on the floor. The harp skidded across the floor and landed before Sophia.
 
“There's a legend that a witch lives in this village.” Sophia replied. “Since long ago, they've branded a lonely old woman as a sorceress.”
 
“Branded?” Guz echoed.
 
“Yes.” Sophia replied. “They gave her only the barest necessaries, and shunned and feared her. She became a witch. As long as there was a witch, all the problems the village encountered could be blamed on her. And so the village lived on in peace. That is the truth of this town's witch.”
 
“My goodness…” Guz gasped.
 
“However, that old lady, the witch, died one month ago.” Sophia added.
 
“Died? Just of old age, right?” Guz asked. “Was that a problem?”
 
“You idiot.” Kanda rebuked.
 
“It's a tradition.” Ami explained. “When the witch dies, a replacement becomes necessary.”
 
“Correct.” Sophia replied. “The simple townsfolk thought that a witch was necessary and chose a new one. Angela, my sister.”
 
“Your sister?” Guz echoed.
 
Kanda gasped when he recalled his dream.
 
“Yes, my twin sister.” Sophia replied. “Unlike me, though, Angela was in poor health.”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Flashback
 
Angela, should I stay a while?” Sophia asked.
 
“What?” she blinked at her laughing sister.
 
“Until yesterday, you were all set to go!” Angela told her. “You were so excited about going to the big city, weren't you?
 
“Humph!” Sophia snorted as she sat on the bed beside her sister.
 
“I'm glad I'm finished…” Angela added, placing a newly-woven shawl on Sophia's shoulders.
 
“What's…?” Sophia blinked.
 
“Stay safe in Mitterwald.” Angela told her.
 
“Why did you do this?” Sophia asked. “You have to take care of yourself!”
 
“I'm sorry,” Angela blinked. “But I wanted to do something for you. You're my only sister, after all.
 
“What's the matter Sophia?” she asked as the older twin wept.
 
“I'll do anything for you!” Sophia cried, hugging her sister. “I'll get you medicine, and work up enough money to have a doctor see you! When you're well again, we'll work together to make your dreams come true!
 
“Yes.” Angela smiled. “Thank you.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“However…” Sophia continued. “Whilst I was working in Mitterwald, Angela was chosen as the village's witch. My father could not countermand the town's decision. Angela was taken to the cottage on the outskirts of the town and made to live there, alone. She was all alone in that cold, dark shack. Angela's illness became much worse. She didn't even last ten days. I died.”
 
“No! No, that's terrible!” Guz gasped.
 
“I?” Kanda echoed.
 
“Sophia came home the day after I died.” Sophia replied. “My body was left on the bed in the witch's cottage.”
 
“My?” Guz echoed. “Ms. Sophia?”
 
“”You still can't tell?” Ami asked. “Sophia was visited by the Earl of Millennium.”
 
“That's right.” Sophia smiled.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Flashback
 
“Angela! I'm sorry!” Sophia wept. “If only… if only I'd been here!”
 
“My, my, you poor girl!” the Earl greeted. How would you like to avenge yourself of your unfortunate destiny? You can return your sister to life and in so doing take your revenge against this world and the God that created it.
 
“Can I really do that?” Sophia asked.
 
“Indeed.” The Earl replied. “If it be your wish.”
 
Sophia, why?” Angela's soul wept as it was trapped within the Akuma. Why?”
 
“Welcome home, Angela.” Sophia told her.
 
“Yes, now kill this girl and take her form!” The Earl commanded.
 
“We can be together again.” Sophia added as she approached the Akuma. “Angela!”
 
“Sophia…” Angela's soul muttered as her older sister hugged the Akuma.
 
“I'll never let you go.” Sophia told the Akuma. “Now, let's begin.”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“My God, that's too awful!” Guz wept, punching the ground. “Angela and Sophia were both sacrificed over this stupid witch bollocks!”
 
“You're very kind, but there's no need to cry.” Sophia told the Finder. “After all, I called myself forth from the grave, and gave my own life for it. I killed myself and became myself again.”
 
“Both Sophia and Angela, the twins, merged into a single Akuma.” Kanda realized. “And the townspeople…”
 
“Exactly.” Sophia replied as the townspeople appeared around the trio.
 
“No, all the villagers?” Guz gasped.
 
“Yes indeed.” Kanda replied.
 
“You made all the villagers into Akuma?” Guz realized. “Then, you're a real witch!”
 
“That's right. I decided to make the legend real.” Sophia replied.
 
“Then…” Guz gasped.
 
“What's wrong with that?” Sophia demanded.
 
“Then, your father…” Guz gasped.
 
“It was his duty to see this village to its end, but he tried to run. He got what he deserved.” Sophia replied.
 
“Poor thing…” Guz muttered.
 
“Why poor thing?” Sophia hissed. “If only he had refused, then…”
 
“No!” Guz objected. “You're the worst off of them all! You're a sacrifice.”
 
“What's all this nonsense?” Sophia retorted. “I'm a witch! A witch!”
 
“Is this all you have to say?” Kanda asked, drawing out his Mugen.
 
“Yes, that's all.” Sophia replied, as she leapt up, summoning her underlings. “Goodbye, Exorcists.”
 
“Mr. Kanda!” Guz stammered in fear as the horde of Akumas surrounded them.
 
“This is the Witches' Village.” Sophia declared as she landed in front of the cathedral. “All those who come here are killed, and can never return.”
 
“You'll just get in our way.” Kanda told the Finder. “Run and hide.”
 
“What?” Guz blinked.
 
“Do you want to die?” Kanda asked.
 
“Ah, right.” Guz replied, running off.
 
The horde of Akuma fired their bullets at the two Exorcists as Kanda slashed through the rain of bullets, causing them to fall in midair. The two Exorcists then jumped to engage the Akumas. Kanda landed on his targets, slicing through each of them as Ami rained her ice spikes on the others.
 
“This is getting nowhere.” The ice wielder hissed, switching into defense in a blink of an eye.
 
“Never wanted to do this at this point, but…” she shrugged, raising her Innocence orb.
 
“Enchantix!” she called out, evolving into her Level Five form.
 
Her Exorcist coat melted off, giving way to her new transformation. An ice blue tiara appeared on her head and her eyelid makeup and lip colors became a pale blue. Her hair floated up from the invisible wind as she droned on a decorative hair band, her now lengthen hair falling below her waist. She spun slowly in a complete circle as her main outfit was formed in combined bursts of sparkling light and snow dust. She raised her right arm and her glove materialized. Finally, a giant symbol of Mercury burst and Ami appeared from behind it with her eight angel wings fully grown, and striking her final pose. Her usual boots discarded, she now donned on strappy, barefoot sandals, decorated with three hearts. In her hand, she held on to a crocket staff with a cyan orb on the top.
 
“Purification... Wave!” she called out her attack as she took to the skies. Spreading her wings and arms, she unleashed a powerful wave of energy at the Akumas. The cyan energy blades expanded from her, slicing through the Akumas.
 
Guz ducked as an Akuma came crashing down.
 
“Damn him!” Kanda hissed as he sliced through an Akuma on the roof after hearing Guz scream.
 
“That's it.” Sophia smiled.
 
“You're not fit to be a Finder.” Kanda told the Finder, jumping in front of him, his ponytail undone.
 
“Holy… Arrow!” Ami came to the two males' rescue, summoning light arrows from her staff's orb, sending the arrows into the Akumas' bodies.
 
“Damn it Peacock!” she scolded, holding up the swordsman as he coughed out blood.
 
“Mr. Kanda!” Guz gasped. “No! Did any of the Akumas' blood virus get into you?”
 
“I'm fine.” Kanda told him.
 
“But you'll…” Guz protested.
 
“The Akumas' virus doesn't affect him.” Ami informed the Finder.
 
“Stay back.” Kanda warned the Finder as he stepped back into the battle.
 
“But you're injured!” Guz pointed out.
 
“Don't worry about it.” Kanda assured him.
 
“Innocence, activate!” he declared, re-activating his weapon again as the remaining Akumas rained their bullets on him.
 
“Herald of Woe! Beasts of the Underworld!” he unleashed his attack. The now blue lightning wraiths pounded into the Akumas.
 
“Purification Wave!” Ami sent her blue energy blades together with the swordsman's attack.
 
“I forgot to tell you one thing just now.” Kanda added after the battle was over.
 
“What's that?” Sophia asked.
 
“When your father died,” Kanda replied. “He said that he was sorry, and to forgive him.”
 
“I see.” Sophia replied.
 
“The last villager I destroyed before coming here also said he was sorry, and to forgive him.” Ami added. “To whom do you suppose they were apologizing?”
 
“Hmmm, I don't really care.” Sophia retorted. “Do you?”
 
“No, I don't care, either.” Kanda replied.
 
“Well, I'm so glad we agree.” Sophia smirked.
 
“I do believe you should reveal your true self too.” Ami added, pointing her staff at the Akuma.
 
Sophia laughed in response as she jumped off the cathedral, returning to her Akuma form.
 
“You've killed so many.” Kanda told the Akuma as he clashed with her with his sword.
 
“And so will I from here on.” The Akuma replied.
 
“No, this is it.” Kanda corrected, disarming the Akuma.
 
The Akuma then let out a cry as it raised her scythes just as Kanda raised his sword. The two clashed again before Kanda threw the Akuma back, sending her crashing into the church.
 
“It's over.” Kanda told the Akuma.
 
The Akuma smirked as she let out a beam of purple light from its forehead.
 
“Yuu!” Ami gasped as the swordsman was bathed in the light.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“Where am I?” Kanda wondered after the light died down. “My room?”
 
“No! That's impossible!” He gasped, turning to see the lotus in the hourglass turn black from bottom up. “It can't be! It can't be…”
 
Right… he realized. It can't be.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
“Farewell.” The Akuma grinned.
 
“Not good enough.” Kanda told her, gripping his sword.
 
The Akuma screamed as the blade sliced through her.
 
“Why?” the Akuma asked.
 
“You can read an opponent's mind and project their fantasies back at them in a dream, can't you?” Kanda asked.
 
“How can you be remain calm, after seeing that?” the Akuma asked.
 
“What you read is a fragment of what I desire.” Kanda told her.
 
You don't understand what that flower's death means to me, or what my true desire is. He added mentally.
 
“My wish could never be fulfilled by someone else.” he remarked.
 
“I see.” The Akuma replied. “You harbor a darkness within you that even I cannot understand.”
 
“Ms. Sophia!” Guz cried. “No.”
 
“Stay back!” the Akuma warned.
 
“I'm a witch.” She added as Guz approached.
 
“I know.” Guz replied, kneeling beside her. “Even so, I don't want to see you die.”
 
“You cry for a witch?” the Akuma asked. “You're such a fool.”
 
“I couldn't help her…” Guz wept as the Akuma died, dissolving into dust. “It's so terrible…”
 
“Yuu...” Ami whispered, hugging him from behind as she hovered inches from the ground. The swordsman leaned back in her embrace for comfort.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

The next morning…
 
“Ms Sophia… Ms Angela…” Guz wept after the trio buried the sisters together.
 
“This rather lame and lanky Exorcist I know says he can see the Akumas' souls” Kanda informed the Finder.
 
“Yeah?” Guz blinked.
 
“And if he's to be believed, the Akumas we destroy have their souls freed and purified.” Kanda added.
 
“Is that true?” Guz gasped. “Then Sophia and Angela were both saved?”
 
“I don't know.” Kanda replied. “That's just what he says. I can't tell. All Akumas are the same.”
 
“Mr. Kanda, where are you going?” Guz asked as the swordsman picked up his sword.
 
“My business here is done. I'm headed for my original destination.” Kanda replied as he walked off.
 
“Wait for me!” Guz whined.
 
“Keep away from me.” Kanda retorted as Guz ran after him. “You're not fit to be a Finder. Go back home.”
 
“But what about your wounds?” Guz asked.
 
“They're healed.” Kanda replied.
 
“Healed? What do you mean?” Guz blinked.
 
“That's jus the way I operate.” Kanda answered. “Don't worry about it.”
 
“Allen's not going to like that, Peacock.” Ami grinned as Kanda walked past the tree she was leaning against.
 
“Like I care.” Kanda snorted at the de-transformed ice wielder, a small smile gracing his face as he slid an arm around her waist.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“Huh?” Lenalee blinked as she saw Guz waiting for her.
 
“My mission is complete.” Guz reported. “I could not find any Innocence, but all the Akumas in the villager and the surrounding forest were destroyed.”
 
“Eh, you did that yourself?” Lenalee asked.
 
“No.” Guz shook his head. “Mr. Kanda and Lady Maris did it. They destroyed all the Akumas.”
 
“What? Kanda and Ami-nee did?” Lenalee gasped.
 
“Yes. They're wonderful Exorcists indeed.” Guz replied.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
In Alfheim…

“Not exactly the punctual type, are you?” Daisya inquired in an inn. “What's the matter? Something good happen?”
 
“Why?” Kanda asked.
 
“Whenever something good happens to you, you have to force that aloof look onto your face.” Daisya told him. “How `bout it? Am I right?”
 
Kanda snorted as Ami giggled.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

SailorStar9: And another chapter down. Read and review.