Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Project Tempest ❯ School Admissions ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

  Chapter 2

“To get into the school you must basically exceed the expectations on the math, science, writing, reading, and personality portions of the exam.”

“There’s a personality test?” asked Makoto in disbelief.

“Yes, there is. Do you have a problem with that?” asked the lady.

“No, I’m good.” said Makoto.

“Alright then.” said the lady. “Now, about the tuition.”

“Wait, before we get to that can we just talk about the test?” asked Makoto.

“I suppose,” said the lady.

“What subjects are on the test?” asked Makoto.

“There is advanced algebra, geometry, calculus, biology, physics, anatomy, writing, reading, art, world history, health, personality, and finally endurance. There are twenty five questions in each portion except for endurance. In the endurance portion you will be expected to go through a series of physical challenges. You get twenty five minutes for each portion. No more no less. If you by chance fail any portion, then you will not be eligible to apply for this school.” she said as she fixed her glasses.

“So let me get this straight. You have 25 minutes to finish 25 questions in each subject and then after you’ve fried your brain you have to go through a 25 minute obstacle course? And all this just to be able to apply for the school?” said Makoto.

“You’re partially correct.” said the lady.

“What did I get wrong?” asked Makoto.

“The obstacle course isn’t necessarily 25 minutes long, you just have twenty five minutes to get as far as you can.”

Makoto’s jaw dropped. “This is crazy! How many people do you actually have going to your school, ten?”

The lady looked annoyed. “If you have problems with the system then you can go and apply for a different school. I have plenty of other students who want to get in and they won’t be ones to complain.”

“Okay okay okay,” said Makoto hastily. “When can I take the test?”

“Well today is Monday, the next testing day is Thursday at 5:15 A.M. You’d better be on time or else don’t bother coming.” she said.

“Alright.” said Makoto. She then got her stuff and left the room. A sigh escaped her lips.

“Amy you owe me big.”

~~

“I won’t do it!” cried Amy. “You can’t make me.”

“Amy, Amy, Amy, why do you have to make it so difficult?” asked the man. “All we want is the weapon, and no one has to know that you made it.”

“No, I won’t do it.” she repeated.

The man nodded his head. “Amy, you’re a smart girl right?”

Amy said nothing.

“How many dead people will it take before you understand that you’re not going anywhere until we get what we want?”

“You’re a fool.” she said. “If I wanted to keep more people alive then why would I create a weapon that could take out a whole planet of them?”

The man chuckled. “I guess you’re smarter than I thought.” he said. “But I doubt your stomach’s as strong as your words.” he snapped his fingers. Seconds later two of his soldiers came in holding a fellow classmate of Amy’s.

“No, you wouldn’t.” said Amy.

He laughed. “Why not?” he snapped again. They started to choke her.

“No!” cried Amy, tears swelling in her eyes. “Stop! Please.”

The soldiers continued to choke and the girl was crying and tried to break free but she was too weak.

“Let her go!” yelled Amy.

“Say the magic words.” he said as he sat patiently in front of Amy’s cage.

“I’ll……..” she hung her head low. “I’ll make it for you.”

“Good.” said the man, with another snap the soldiers released the girl. Her body flopped to the ground, she could hardly breath.

“We’ll start in the morning.” said the man. “Good night, Ms Mizuno.”

~~

“Alright, 2x + 3y = 18 find the x and y-intercepts. Hey that’s not too bad.” said Makoto. “x is 9 and y is 6!”

Everyone looked at her.

“Sorry,” she said with embarrassment. She had forgotten she was in the library again! The librarian almost looked like she wanted to take Makoto out. So to save her the trouble Makoto just packed up her stuff and left. ‘I’m not gonna pass that test.’ she thought to herself.

It was already Wednesday and Makoto still didn’t understand calculus, biology or anything else. She was only ready for the algebra, reading and art, but everything else was pretty much a fail. It was frustrating having to study all for that test and not even get to tuition yet. She knew it had to be expensive and right now she was unemployed and running out of money. She had signed applications for different jobs but no one had gotten back to her yet.

It was a whole lot of stress, and for what? She wasn’t even sure if Amy was there or not. There were no indications that she would be there, except for the fact that they were affiliated with mobile suits. This was a big thing Makoto was doing and if Amy wasn’t there, then it would all be for nothing.

Makoto sighed. ‘Where are you Amy?’ she kept asking herself.

~~

“Mrs. Coral, have we gotten any applicants yet?” asked General Shower.

“Applicants, yes, but eligible, no.” she replied.

“Aww, Mrs. Coral. Maybe you’re too hard on them. After all we need as many soldiers we can get.”

“Believe me,” said Mrs. Coral with her nose in the air. “None of these applicants are worth training. Ever since that new class to train soldiers opened up more and more idiots have come into my office. I hate seeing mediocre people coming into my office to get into an advanced school. Their stench is disgusting and soon will envelop this school and make it another mediocre university for anyone and everyone. This is a school for the elite and nothing less.”

“Those are strong words, Mrs. Coral. But is it possible that we could maybe take those mediocre people that are willing to work and make them into the elite?” asked General Shower.

Mrs. Coral pursed her lips together. “There are no good applicants yet.”

General Shower nodded. “Are there any applicants that showed any interest in training for war?”

“Well there was one girl that seemed desperate and was willing to do anything possible to get into this school, but she is very ignorant and I don’t like her.”

“But was she interested?” asked General Shower impatiently.

“She’s a girl.”

“I don’t mind training a girl,” he said. “And if she really wanted to get in, then she wouldn’t mind being trained as a soldier, right?”

“I suppose.” said Mrs. Coral as she rolled her eyes. “But she’s ignorant and talks back. She has no respect for authority, and she challenges everything you say.”

“Then she’d make a perfect soldier!” said General Shower.

“We already have one of those.” stated Mrs. Coral.

“Yes, yes I know, but if we could get more soldiers then-”

“General Shower, if I were to accept every applicant that wanted to take the class to be trained as a soldier then what is to stop a spy from making it through?” asked Mrs. Coral. “Nothing, so you do your job and let me do mine.”

“As you wish.” said General Shower with a bow and then he exited the room.

~~

Makoto’s alarm went off, it was 4:00 AM. She quickly felt around for the clock and turned it off. Groggily she got off her bed and got ready.

“What kind of crazy people schedule tests this early in the morning.” moaned Makoto. Be that as it may, Makoto still managed to get to the testing area on time. In the office she saw about forty other people who were all ready to test with there eyes wide open and their minds well rested. On the other hand Makoto looked like she had just rolled out of bed and left. Every other second you could see her yawning or rubbing her eyes.

“Hello, everyone. Please take a seat.” said Mrs. Coral. “Well, the good news is, that all of you that are here now may all take the test. Unfortunately, most of you will probably fail this test so if you feel you are one of those people then please save me some time and leave now.” she said and stared directly at Makoto but Makoto was too busy stretching and yawning to notice.

“Now, you will receive an answer sheet and when you do I would like you to fill in the information on the back. Do not open the answer booklet unless I say to open it, understood?”

Everyone nodded.

“Good.”

Finally everyone got their answer booklets and Makoto struggled with filling it in.

‘Should I put Lita? Or Makoto?’ she thought. ‘Well the assassins were probably sent to kill Lita, so I guess that pretty much solves that.’

“Alright,” said Mrs. Coral. “You may now begin.”

For the next three hours you could only hear the scribbling of pencils and erasers. No one dared move for fear that they would make too much noise. The room was stiff and it made Makoto a little uncomfortable. She kept shifting in her seat and biting her pencil trying to make up for the lack of sound. She hated it when there was no sound during testing. For one thing, tests always made her nervous and silence makes her paranoid. Not to mention everything on this test didn’t make any kind of sense whatsoever, but at least it was a multiple choice test.

“That one looks like he could make a good soldier.” said General Shower as he pointed at a buff looking guy. “Or that one looks like he could run for a while. That girl with the glasses looks brainy, after all she’s already finished with the test. Maybe that boy over there could be a pilot. Or he could learn how to check guns. Hey, look at that girl over there, she’s pretty buff. Do you think she came to get into my class? Perhaps that’s the girl that Coral was talking about. If so I think she has a pretty good chance of making it as long as she doesn’t bomb the multiple choice test. Man, why can’t we just get to the endurance already? I don’t need brainy soldiers, just ones that listen.”

“Time is up, everyone drop your pencils.” said Mrs. Coral. “Now we will be going outside to take the endurance portion of the test.”

A large sigh came from the mass of people, both sighs of relief and distress. Slowly everyone exited the air conditioned room and were greeted by the humid summer day. Once everyone outside loud noises that resembled bombs and guns went off and a man in uniform could be seen giving instructions.

“Good morning.” yelled General Shower. “This here is the battlefield and your goal is to take out as many enemy soldiers as you can, reach the enemy base and take it over, if possible, and avoid getting shot. You will all get some kind of padding and each of you will receive a paintball gun. The paintball guns only have twenty paintballs in them, so use them wisely. Also you will get four special daggers in which you will have tucked away in your belt. the reason why these are special daggers is because they will not hurt you if they happen to get thrown at you. They will leave a mark of where they stab you and then they will disappear because they are holograms, in reality it is only a tiny little cylinder that is being thrown at you so they won’t knock you out; but if someone is able to throw it hard enough to knock someone out then I’ll be very impressed. Also, if you use the daggers to cut through anything but human skin then it will indeed cut the object whether it be a rope or net. However, it cannot cut down trees or metal poles, it functions as a regular dagger would. Now, I will not tell you where to find the enemy base because that is for you to figure out. And as a precaution, the enemy soldiers are highly trained professionals and they will not go easy on you. So I suggest you try not to get in a one on one fight with them unless you’re good and know you can win; but I assure you that if you aren’t quick and on your toes then they will get you. Are there any questions?…..Good, lets get started.” General Shower turned then turned back to the audience.

“Oh yes, I almost forgot. You will all be separated into groups of ten. The teams will be randomly selected and after the teams are decided you cannot trade anybody and you cannot team up with any other team. It is every team for themselves. This is how you will be graded. Each person in a group is worth ten points. If you get captured and don’t manage to get free before times up then you as an individual get a zero! Remember that you guys are a team and that everyone in your group will receive the same grades. Unfortunately if any individual gets a zero, then they will have to be asked to leave. So don’t get captured. Another warning, during this test it is possible that you may break something and not be able to walk or go any further. That means you will need someone to carry you! So get close with your teammates ladies and gentlemen. And finally, you have a choice. You may go solo if you want, but if time runs out and you are not at the enemy base, then you will have to leave. But if you reach the enemy’s base then you’ll receive full points and also be given a full ride scholarship to this school even if you did fail every other portion of this test. Know this though, if you choose to go solo, then the team that you were assigned to will lose ten points for not having all ten teammates. So if four people in your group go off on their own then you’ll get a failing grade, a D is not passing anymore ladies and gentlemen. Well good luck to you all. Now everyone stay quiet and listen to Mrs. Coral as she tells what group your in.”

Mrs. Coral quickly read off the names and then everyone was off to get their equipment and meet their new teammates.

“Hi, I’m Emily.”

“I’m Makoto.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you.” said Emily with a big but nervous smile. She was short with shoulder length blond hair and bright blue eyes that were magnified by her thick glasses. She had blue jeans on with a button up white t-shirt. “I should have worn a different shirt, this is one of my favorites and I would hate to get it stained.” she pouted.

“Don’t worry Emily, stick with me and I’ll try to keep you clean.” said Makoto.

“That’s very kind of you.” replied Emily. “Thank you very much.”

“Don’t thank me yet, hon. We haven’t even started.”

“You two, are you on the red team?” yelled another girl.

“Yes we are!” answered Emily. “How do you do partner?”

“Oh great,” the girl muttered under her breath. “The name’s Rylie.” she said with her hand out and Emily snatched it up.

“I’m Emily and this here is Makoto. I’m so glad that you could be in our group!”

“That’s nice.” she replied with sarcasm. She then pulled her muscular hand away from Emily and stood there waiting and hoping for someone else to show up. She was tall and had a muscular build and it was obvious that she worked out. Still she had long black hair pulled in a ponytail and had a pretty nice face. It was strong and sturdy but still had some femininity to it. The only reason that she wouldn’t go on many dates is probably because the guys felt a little inferior to her. She had good posture and stood as if she was royalty. She didn’t stand like that to be cocky or anything that was just how she was taught to stand and it made her seem big and bold.

“Umm, are you red?” asked a skinny blond girl. She flipped her hair this way and that and it was easy to tell that she was conceited and popular.

“Unfortunately.” said Rylie.

The blond rolled her eyes at her and turned to look at Makoto. “You must’ve been devastated when you found out that you were in a group of losers.”

Emily and Rylie were both about to say something but another member of the team interrupted.

“Mandy! Guess what group I’m in.” cried out a boy who was lean and handsome.

“You can’t be serious!” cried Mandy in response. “You came to my rescue!”

He then came running and pulled her into a hug and began to whisper things to her.

“Of course I had to get stuck in the group with Ken and Barbie.” complained Rylie.

At this the boy let Mandy go and just smiled at them.

“Sorry ladies, I haven’t really been spreading the love very well have I. Well no need to worry you’ll get your turn.” he winked.

Emily for once was speechless and blushed but Rylie on the other hand was disgusted and refrained from doing anything; and Makoto stopped listening when the guy showed up. She was so much in a daze that she didn’t notice that everyone in the group had showed up and they were waiting on her to introduce herself.

“Excuse you.” said Mandy. “Can you speak English?”

“What?” asked Makoto.

“Your name.” whispered Emily. “Introduce yourself.”

“Oh, my name’s Makoto.”

“Naraku.”

“Curtis.”

“ I’m Emily.”

“Rylie.”

“Mandy and this is my boyfriend Blake.”

“My name’s Haruka.”

“Gifford.”

“And I’m Claire.”

“Alright so lets get started!” yelled Blake.

In mock enthusiasm everyone cheered and awaited the start of the endurance test.

“Okay guys, this is our strategy.” said Curtis. “Don’t get caught and make it to the enemy base.”

“Okay.” answered Claire.

“Hey guys this is where we start.” said Haruka as she pointed at a black post.

Soon they were all ready with their full supplies, and it was only a matter of starting.

“Are you ready?” said a voice on the speaker phone.

“Yes!” cried all of the groups in unison. Already they were sweating.

“On your marks, get set………..GO!”

The gunshot sounded off and everyone could be seen rushing out of their posts. It had finally begun.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Thanks, guys for reviewing! I really appreciate it, I'll try and update soon and as for your questions about Lita/Makoto switching off names, I kind of did it on purpose so no need to worry, I will try to clear up why she goes by two different names, 'kay? Anyways please review again and give some suggestions of how I can make it better, if you have any. I appreciate anything that you can give me, just please don't ask me to pair anybody up with anybody because if it ends up not being who you want it to be then I feel bad.

Well that's all, I'll get to writing the next chapter. Oh and THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR REVIEWS!!!

Alright peace out.