Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Paternity of a Princess ❯ Moving to Juuban ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Paternity of a Princess
A Ranma/Sailor Moon Crossover Fanfic
By Michael A. Ivins
 
I don't own the characters of Ranma One Half or Sailor Moon, I'm just borrowing them for my own amusement and hopefully that of my readers. I make no money from doing this.
 
There are some lime bits in this story, so be warned.
 
The only time that Ranma will be male in this story will be for a part of the first chapter. For all of the rest of it she will be female so there will be no usage of “Chan” or “Onna” to differentiate between male and female Ranma. This story takes place after the end of the manga (so after the failed wedding.)
 
 
Chapter 4
Moving to Juuban
 
Sometime after Ranma left, Ukyo thought about what her friend had said. A few times in the past to stay in character for her male impersonation Ukyo had actually gone on dates with some girls. During those dates she had never initiated any intimate contact and the one girl who had kissed her hadn't excited her in the least.
 
It looked like she didn't swing that way. If that were true, it sort of sounded the death knell for any kind of intimate relationship she might have with a Ranma who was now permanently female. The thought saddened her greatly. All the dreams she had for the happy future she had envisioned with her Ranchan were just that - nothing more than dreams. She hoped she could still stay friends with Ranma.
 
When Ranma got home she found Akane sitting in the living waiting for her. The blue haired girl was trying to keep her tone friendly. She asked, “How did it go with Ukyo?”
 
The redhead said, “I think I convinced her that I only want to be friends. She's kind of stubborn and tried to say that since she's registered as a guy, she could get married to me even if I'm a girl. I had to point out that I'm still registered as a guy too, so that wouldn't work.”
 
The youngest Tendo nodded. “Will she still be a friend?” As things stood, she felt sure that Ranma needed all the friends she could get.
 
The pigtailed girl nodded and said, “I think so. She needs to think a couple things over, but she at least sounded willing.”
 
Akane considered that. “With the Amazons, Kuno, us Tendos and Ukyo that should just leave Kodachi as the last `fiance' to deal with.”
 
Almost as if on cue the doorbell rang. A few moments later Kasumi escorted Kuno Kodachi into the living room. “Ranma, you have a visitor.”
 
The gymnast was dressed in a normal looking outfit of a brown skirt and cream-colored blouse. In truth she looked quite pretty. She shot a look at Kasumi and commented, “How ridiculous to have two siblings with the same name. I don't understand why I should have to lower myself to enter such a peasant dwelling as this.”
 
Ranma stepped forward and said, “That is something that has always confused me, Kodachi. You're always going on about how noble your family is and how low class the Tendo's are. By your standards Ranma is a peasant too. Why would you even be interested in a low-born peasant like my brother?”
 
With a dreamy expression on her face, Kodachi said, “By his actions, my darling Ranma-Sama has elevated himself well above the station of his birth. He has proved himself to be noble in spirit and worthy of the attentions of one of noble birth such as myself.”
 
The visitor shook herself, her manner becoming grim. “What of this tale my brother has related? The television news spoke only of a `mystery fighter' coming to the aid of the Senshi. There was no mention of anyone's death.”
 
Ranma's own feelings were recalled and she felt tears leaking from the corners of her eyes, even though she tried to stop them. She said, “In the finest tradition of the most noble samurai families he fought monsters and won, but was badly wounded. Sailor Moon didn't truly understand the severity of the wounds or the magics that had caused them. The magic that was meant to heal my brother destroyed his body. He's gone, removed from the world of the living. I'm sure the news didn't report on his death because there wasn't body left behind.”
 
Ranma stopped talking and turned to grab onto Akane and cry on her shoulder. After a few moments of that she regained some measure of composure and said, “I like to think that his spirit lingers to watch over me. I'm sure you will understand that I find that to be cold comfort.”
 
Wiping tears from her face, Ranma said, “I never tried to take him from you. I didn't have that kind of relationship with my brother. You drove him away yourself by your own actions. Things like drugs and paralysis gas are not the way to win a boy's romantic interest. I'm just sorry that you'll never have a chance to get him to like you the right way.”
The self-proclaimed noble girl was weeping herself. “Gone? I'll never see him again? Never to see that handsome face or to feel those strong arms holding me?”
 
Kodachi's pretty face contorted into an expression of rage. “This Sailor Moon has much to answer for.”
 
Ranma recognized the expression and stood to take hold of the gymnast's shoulders. She said, “Kodachi, no! You must not do what you are thinking of. “
 
“Why not?” demanded the distraught girl. “That bitch has taken the love of my life from me. She deserves to suffer.”
 
The redhead shook her head and explained, “There are good reasons why not. The first one is the most practical. You're a normal girl. Yes, you are talented and skilled in your Art but the Senshi have magic powers. If you fought them even with all of your skills, your weapons and tricks, you would lose.”
 
The gymnast's expression calmed. “It shames me to admit it but there is truth in what you say. But Sailor Moon cannot destroy lives like that. I don't know how to accomplish it, but she must be punished.”
 
Her expression grim, Ranma said, “There will be punishment. It will be of a different kind that what you are thinking. I can't just beat her up or kill her because she is a hero and she was trying to help. Even knowing that, I can't just write it off as an accident. She committed a terrible mistake that cost the life of a young man. What I have in mind would be a far worse punishment for a person of good moral character such as she seems to be.”
 
“What kind of punishment do you plan?” Kodachi wanted to know.
 
The redhead explained, “I will talk to her and find out if she realizes the nature of the crime she committed in her effort to help. If she is not properly repentant for that crime then I will commit seppuku right there before her eyes so that she will have my death on her conscience as well as his. To live with that guilt and shame is a far worse punishment for someone like her than physical suffering.”
 
“You would do that?” Kodachi wasn't sure she was hearing correctly.
 
“I would,” Ranma confirmed. “Sailor Moon needs to learn that there are consequences to her actions.”
 
The other woman was overcome with emotion. She placed a hand on Ranma's shoulder. “I… I apologize for all of the bad things I ever said about you. You are not a hussy or a harridan. You are a brave woman. I'm not ashamed to admit that you are braver than I.”
 
They just stood that way for a while before Kodachi let go of Ranma's shoulder and said, “If there is any way in which I can help, please call on me.” She walked out of the house.
 
Nabiki commented, “Kuno said he would give you time to get through your grief. Kami-Sama only knows how long he thinks is enough. You should be ready for when he thinks you've had enough time and he feels the better approach is to `shower you with his boundless affections.'”
 
Ranma looked at the mercenary girl and said, “Shouldn't you be more concerned about him starting up the morning fights again? With the `foul sorcerer' gone he might think it would be a good time to start that insanity again.”
 
Akane glared at her sister and said, “Nabiki, if you encourage that craziness again just so you can run a betting pool on it, I swear I will never speak to you again.”
 
The redhead said, “Before Kuno's time limit expires, I'll be moved to my mom's house and transferred to Juuban High School. With me gone, maybe he'll find some other girl to harass.”
 
“Are you really sure you want to do that?” Nabiki asked.
 
The young Saotome shrugged, “I explained this. I stand a better chance of finding Sailor Moon if I'm on her home turf.”
 
The Ice Queen looked uncharacteristically sad. “That would put you that much closer to killing yourself. Ranma, even with the bad things that have happened between us, I don't want you dead. I've come to look at you almost like a little brother although I guess that would be a sister now.”
 
Ranma had thoughts about that. Being a sister to Tendo Nabiki wasn't the greatest thing to be. The middle Tendo had exploited her younger sibling in ways that could have put Akane in therapy for the rest of her life and might still do so. Instead of throwing that in Nabiki's face Ranma said, “Look on the bright side. Maybe Sailor Moon will know how to reverse what she did to me. Then I won't have to kill myself.”
 
Looking even sadder, Nabiki said, “If you really believed that you wouldn't have even have made suicide a contingency.”
 
The Saotome daughter tried to keep it light. “Well, you never know what might happen. They might even make me a Senshi.”
 
Akane shook her head. “As if. Every planet is already represented. There are no openings for new Senshi.”
 
Ranma looked confused for a moment. “Who's the Senshi of Earth?”
 
“Tuxedo Kamen is the Senshi of Earth,” Was Akane's answer.
 
Even in the somber mood she had been in, the redhead couldn't help snickering over that.
 
“What's so funny?” Akane demanded.
 
The redhead explained, “I just pictured in my mind what tux boy would look like in a short skirt. I wonder if his legs are hairy.”
 
The dark haired girl laughed at that. “Darn you, Ranma. Now I'm not going to be able to get that image out of my mind.”
 
“Sorry, I couldn't help myself.” The redhead paused then said, “How come the girls have to look like eye candy for perverts and the one guy dresses up formal?”
 
Akane shrugged. “I don't know, but I think Tuxedo Kamen is pretty hunky.”
 
Ranma shook her head. “As someone who just became a full time girl a couple days ago, I don't think I'm a good judge of that kind of thing. At the time I was worrying more about fighting monsters.”
 
With a sigh, Ranma changed the subject. “I need to pack. I'm going to take the clothes Mom got me when I was pretending to be Tendo Ranko. I'm taller because of the healing Sailor Moon did, but at least some of the clothes can be altered to fit me. My guy clothes fit my girl body better than they did too.”
 
Akane frowned, “Will your mom even let you wear boy clothes now?”
Ranma shrugged. “She's going to insist that I wear a uniform to school and something `ladylike' to go out in public. She shouldn't mind of I wear guy clothes for working out or just hanging out at home.”
 
Nabiki chuckled at that. “I'm going to have to come over to your mom's place to get a picture of you in your uniform. Kuno would probably pay good yen for a picture of his `pigtailed goddess' in a sailor fuku like the uniforms at Juuban.”
 
Ranma looked with raised a eyebrow. Finally after a moment's consideration she said, “I'll have my mom snap some pictures and mail copies to you. At least that way I can be sure there won't be upskirt views or panty shots being circulated.”
 
Nabiki put on a mock scandalized expression. “Are you implying I would circulate such pictures as that?”
 
Looking angry, Ranma stated, “I'm not implying, I'm saying it straight out. In the past you've sold topless pictures of me and even nudes. I know this because I caught some guys drooling over nude pictures of me. I took the pictures away and I made sure they knew I wasn't happy that they had the pics. I did not offer them a refund.”
 
Nabiki pouted and said, “You take all the fun out of it.”
 
Ranma glared at her. “Fun? Don't you always claim you do that stuff only to support the family and pay the bills? When did it become fun for you?”
 
Nabiki was shocked at the venom in Ranma's tone. She wasn't proposing to do anything more than what she had already done.
 
“Any pictures that you get of me in a school uniform will be suitable for a class picture,” Ranma insisted. “They will be nicely posed, nothing candid. Got it?”
 
“Fine,” the brunette conceded. “Only pictures you approve from now on. When did you get this smart?”
 
The red haired girl shook her head. “I'm sorry to disillusion you, but I've always known about the pictures. I let you get away with it because it was a way I could contribute to the upkeep of the house. I might like you better if you had just asked me instead of always sneaking around.”
 
Now looking troubled instead of amused Nabiki asked, “You… always knew?”
 
“Yep,” the redhead confirmed.
 
The Saotome girl didn't think that was enough and went on, “Because of me being permanently female, Akane is now a dear friend instead of a fiancé. Kasumi is now and will always be a big sister to me. I don't think I can ever trust you enough to think of you as a sister or friend. Around you I feel like I always have to be on guard in case you do something embarrassing to me or something that will cost me money.”
 
The brunette looked distressed now. Ranma continued, “You had your chance to be a friend or even a fiancé, but you've ruined it. I may use your services, I may buy information because you do have a reputation for accuracy. I'm sorry, but the most you will ever be to me now is a business associate.” She got up and went upstairs to gather her belongings.
 
Looking at the stricken expression on her sister's face, Akane felt no sympathy. She stood up and said, “You should have seen this coming sis. Ranma's always been smarter than you give her credit for. The `dumb jock' only existed in your imagination. To put it simply, you blew it.” She left as well.
 
The next morning a moving company sent a mini-van to pick Ranma's boxes of clothing along with her pack. She rode with them to Nodoka's home in Juuban. There she got dressed in a nice skirt and blouse combo with black shoes. Nodoka had combed and brushed Ranma's hair so it fell in a scarlet cascade to her shoulders. She still refused to wear makeup even if she had relented on the subject of panties and bra. Even without makeup, Ranma was beautiful.
 
She went to the high school and asked directions to the office of Meiyoh Setsuna, school guidance counselor. The woman was tall, stylishly dressed and beautiful. She had dark green hair and the most unusual red eyes. The Saotome girl had never met the woman before but had a feeling of instant familiarity. Ms. Meiyoh could have been 25 or 200, it was hard to tell by her appearance. She had an ageless look that made guessing an age difficult.
 
In addition to the feeling of familiarity was there was an instant dislike. There was something about this woman that she felt she couldn't trust. Ranma told herself that this was silly when she had only just met the woman.
 
As she was sitting in the chair across the desk from the green haired woman Ranma asked, “Forgive me Meiyoh-san, but have we met? You seem quite familiar.”
 
The guidance counselor shook her head. “Not unless we met in another life. I understand you have just moved into our district. What was the reason for the move?”
 
Ranma responded, “I had previously been living with my father at the home of a family friend. I just moved in with my mother.”
 
“Your parents are separated?” Setsuna asked.
 
“Yes ma'am,” the girl replied. “I don't know all of the details, but they have some disagreements between them and have decided to live apart. They haven't formally filed for a divorce yet, but I can easily imagine it happening. I don't get along well with my father and felt that I would be better off living with my mom.”
 
Setuna's eyes narrowed at that. “Did your father abuse you?”
 
The young girl let out an amused snort. “If you mean did he hit me, of course he did. He's my martial arts sensei and used to hit me a lot (before my defenses got better.) I hit him back a lot too. I've advanced enough in my training that I've passed him in my skills.” Ranma knew that wasn't the only kind of abuse that was being asked about, but deliberately didn't say anything about the other kind.
 
The counselor nodded. “You don't have to tell me if you don't want to, but I'm curious about the disagreement between you and your father.”
 
Ranma nodded. “The martial art that I practice is a family school. My father and his old training partner are masters of the two branches of the School. Before I was born they made an agreement about one of my Dad's kids marrying one of his friend's kids to `join the schools.' The problem is that Mr. Tendo only has girls and I'm an only child. My father says that to fulfill family honor I have to marry his training partner. Neither me or my mom agree to it.”
 
“How old is this Mr. Tendo you mentioned?” Setsuna asked.
 
The girl frowned in thought. “I'm not sure exactly how old. I think he's in his middle or late 40's. His oldest daughter is 20.”
 
The older woman looked wide eyed. “Your father demanded that you marry a man more than twice your age?”
 
Ranma nodded. “Mr. Tendo is a nice enough man, but the idea of kissing him or other stuff…” She trailed off and gave an exaggerated shudder.
 
Setsuna nodded. “You are a beautiful young girl. I'm sure you will find someone to be with.”
 
“Uh… Thank you,” Ranma said to acknowledge the compliment. She wasn't sure how to feel about possibility of getting together with a man.
 
The green haired woman picked up a file folder and opened it on the desk in front of her. “I have been looking over your transcript. Your grades are passing but you will need to improve them.”
 
Ranma had been expecting this. “I'm ready to work on bringing those grades up.”
 
“The transcript also says that you are a discipline problem,” the green haired woman noted.
 
The girl let out a big sigh. “Not everyone believes me, but that wasn't all my fault. A lot of people attacked me and I just defended myself.”
 
The counselor seemed to consider that. “I suppose we can give you the benefit of the doubt. If you become a discipline problem here, there will be less tolerance.”
 
The red haired girl nodded.
 
“Then there is this,” Setsuna tapped the transcript with a finger. “This says that you are…”
 
“A boy?” Ranma finished. She nodded. “My father wanted a boy. He had me registered as a boy and raised me as a boy. I dressed as a boy at school. I wasn't the only one. You should check the records of a Kuonji Ukyo. She's registered as a boy, goes to school wearing a boy's uniform, but she's really a girl. You really have to expect stuff like that in a school run by Kuno Godai.”
 
The counselor frowned. “I've heard of principal Kuno's reputation, but believed it to be exaggerated.”
 
“You shouldn't,” advised the girl. “That man should never have been given charge of the education or safety of kids. The only reason I can imagine the Ministry of Education allows it is because he's rich.”
 
Setsuna's frown deepened. “There are members of the Ministry who are susceptible to bribes. Have you personally witnessed situations where children's safety was put at risk?”
Ranma gave the green haired woman an “are you kidding?” look. “Yes, I've witnessed him putting kids at risk. How about trying to cut kids' hair with garden shears? Then there's throwing exploding pineapples. My friend Akane can't swim. To `motivate' her to learn, he put a live shark in the swimming pool.”
 
The counselor's expression turned grim. “I know some reliable people in the Ministry. I'm going to talk to them about starting an investigation into the way principal Kuno runs his school.”
 
The redhead bowed her head and said, “Both the kids and the teachers of Furinkan would be grateful if you could get the loonie removed.”
 
Setsuna nodded in acknowledgement. Turning back to more immediate matters, “While some of things I read here might make it necessary for you and I to meet more later, I see nothing in your transcript that would prevent you from starting here tomorrow or even later today. You will need a school uniform. I know you were given an exemption from that at Furinkan, but we can't give you one here. If you are short of funds you can pick up a used fuku at the school store. I also have here a list of stores that carry new uniforms.” She pushed a sheet of paper across the desk.
 
Ranma looked at the list and said, “No problem.” She folded the list and put it in a pocket.
 
The redhead said, “I've heard a rumor that the Sailor Senshi or at least some of them go to this school. Is there any truth to that rumor?”
 
The green haired woman hid a smile. “In the past, when youma attacked the school, the Senshi were very quickly on the scene, so I can understand how that sort of rumor could get started. However, those girls are in disguise when performing their heroic deeds, so even if they did attend this school, who could know?”
 
With a neutral expression Ranma nodded. “Yeah, who could know?”
 
The older woman handed Ranma a slip of paper. “If you decide to start today this is your excuse for being late.” She handed over another piece of paper and said, “This gives you the number of your homeroom. There are also directions to the school store if you decide to get a used uniform. In case you were worried, none of the uniforms available in the store are rags. All are in good condition and any tears have been mended. I promise you won't feel ashamed to be seen in one of them.”
 
The redhead didn't comment. She was not exactly comfortable being seen in public wearing girl's clothing. She knew she would have to get used to it for the rest of her life, but at the same time she promised herself that she would never grow to like it. She took the paper and stood up.
 
Setsuna said, “It was nice meeting you. I hope you will enjoy your time at Juuban High school.”
 
Ranma bowed. “Thank you Mieyoh-san.”
 
As Ranma walked out of the office, Setsuna let a smile show on her face. Softly she said, “The major players are all here and the play can begin. The real action doesn't start until the guest star makes her appearance.”
 
In a somewhat musing tone she went on, “This would have been so much easier and simpler if Ranma had only been born female. But then it wouldn't be as entertaining.” It was a certainty that the girl would be angry if she known her pain was serving as entertainment to the Immortal Senshi.
 
The uniform Ranma picked out looked brand new. She felt silly wearing it, but was comforted by the thought that all of the other girls in her class would be wearing an outfit that looked exactly the same.
 
Shortly she was in the front of a classroom being introduced. She told them, “I'm Saotome Ranma and I'm a martial artist. I've spent the last two years living in Nerima with my father. I recently moved in with my mother in Juuban. I'm hoping that things will be quieter here than there were at Furinkan.”
 
The teacher nodded. “I'm sure you'll get a better quality education that you could at Furinkan. Why don't you take the vacant desk next to Ms. Kino?”
 
Ranma made her way down the row took the desk next to the ponytailed brunette. As she got herself comfortably settled in her seat she noticed the girl in the next desk looking at her oddly. She also got an odd sense of familiarity.
 
She looked around and noticed she was under scrutiny from more people than just the girl in the next desk. There were also two blonde haired girls looking at her. One had a gorgeous cascade of blond locks that looked to go all the way to her waist.
 
The other blonde had the oddest hairstyle. Her hair was pulled to the sides into two long ponytails and right next to her scalp there were these two round balls of hair about the size of meatballs. Suddenly in her mind Ranma added to the blonde's face a tiara making a golden “V” on her forehead. Still in her imagination she also added ornaments on front of the hair meatballs.
 
That had to be her, Sailor Moon! If that was really her then her Senshi persona wasn't much of disguise. Even if some magic concealed the girl's face, that hairstyle was so distinctive that it seemed like a dead giveaway.
 
Ranma glanced back to the side and noticed the tall brunette still looking at her. She said softly, “Uh, hi.”
 
The girl shook herself and said, “Sorry for staring like that. I'm Makoto. You look like someone I met before.”
 
Ranma nodded. “You look familiar to me too.”
 
At that moment the teacher instructed everyone to settle down and began the lesson. The tall brunette whispered, “Meet me at lunch.”
 
The redhead noticed an oddity. Ever since she had been healed by Sailor Moon she had been sleeping better. It no longer took being thrown out a window of a bucket of water being thrown on her to wake up in the morning. Now she found that she wasn't getting sleepy in class. She was able to pay attention and stay awake. It was a novel experience.
 
When lunchtime came around Ranma grabbed her bento and headed out to the schoolyard. When she got there she looked around and found the tall brunette waving over near a tree. With her were the two blondes and a girl with bluish black hair. The blue haired girl looked a lot like Akane but not as athletic.
 
During class Ranma had heard names for all but the blue haired girl. She said, “So you're Usagi, Minako and Makoto. And I'm sorry but I don't believe we've met yet.”
The blue haired girl said, “I'm Mizuno Ami.”
 
At that moment Minako spoke up, “Uh… is that your natural hair color?”
 
Ranma rolled her eyes. In an exasperated tone she said, “Why does everybody ask that? Yes, it's natural!”
 
The blonde looked contrite as she said, “I'm sorry, but it is an unusually bright shade of red. Please don't be offended, I've got friends with unusual hair colors.”
 
Somewhat mollified, the redhead said, “Have you met the guidance counselor with the green hair? Now that's a strange hair color.”
 
The all nodded. Usagi said, “Oh yes, we've all met her.”
 
Ranma noted the odd emphasis the girl used. There seemed to be some shared secret between the girls that Ranma was not a part of. She dismissed it as something to look into later.
 
At a gesture of invitation, the young Saotome girl sat down. The tall brunette with the ponytail asked, “I heard you say you're a martial artist. What style to you practice?”
 
“Well it's a family style called Anything Goes or sometimes called Indiscriminate Grappling. It's based on Kempo but with lots of moves borrowed from more than a dozen other styles. The style emphasizes aerial combat so there's a lot of leaping.”
 
Makoto's eyes were wide. “Aerial combat?”
 
Ranma nodded. “I've been trying to figure out how to use my ki to fly, but it's really tricky. The most I've been able to do was hover couple centimeters off the ground.”
 
Now all the girls were staring. Usagi finally seemed to find her voice, “You can fly?”
 
The redhead frowned. Weren't they listening? She'd just said she could only hover. She said, “Not yet. It would go faster if I had someone who already knows how to teach me. As it is I'm teaching myself. I have seen a guy who could fly using his ki, but he didn't really explain how it worked. At least I know it can be done, so I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.”
 
Makoto tried, “How… how long have you been practicing martial arts?”
 
Shrugging, Ranma said, “Pretty much since I could walk.” Her mood turned somber. “When most kids were doing stuff like playing with toys, going to school, making friends, I was learning martial arts. I'm a really strong martial artist but it was a lonely life.”
 
Ever the compassionate one, Usagi threw an arm around Ranma and said, “I'm so sorry, Ranma. We'll be your friends.”
 
Conversation shifted from serious subjects to lighter stuff. Ranma quickly got a feel for the young women who were trying to be her friends. Makoto and Minako spoke of boys and the redhead quickly understood that the two were boy crazy. From the things Ami said, it seemed evident that she was something of a nerd.
 
Usagi spoke of food, and her boyfriend. From the way she spoke, this Mamo-Chan was the ultimate man, the epitome of manliness and charm. Ranma was starting to think that the guy sounded too good to be true. She thought she would like to meet this paragon.
 
Author's Note: Ranma has met most of the Inners and doesn't know it's them. She's met Setsuna and didn't like her. (No big surprise there, since Pluto is a manipulative bitch.) Akane was right when she thought that Ranma needs friends.