Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Polarity ❯ Opposite Poles ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

It was a clear and warm Sunday afternoon. The air was clear and the sky was blue as the bustle of a Tokyo suburb made the soft noise of a peaceful community.
 
Ami and Makoto stepped off the bus at the end of the Furinkan shopping district and took a quick look around. Their first impression of the Nerima area was that it was a normal, quiet suburb. It was slightly smaller and more rural looking hen their area of the city so there was far less automotive traffic, but there was the same foot traffic.
 
The stores, food vendors, and other merchants along the street were diverse, and most seemed friendly as the two young women worked their way through the arcade. The people were normal and nothing stood out.
 
“I have no idea why we are here,” Makoto said simply as she took a bite out of the cookie she had picked up from a small bakery.
 
Ami shrugged and looked over at her taller friend, “She's just a little concerned, that's all. Think of it like temporary blindness. You have seen all your life, and suddenly it's gone. Of course you would worry about what was around you because normally you'd see it. I doubt that there's anything to really worry about. We're just here to reassure her.”
 
She continued walking, casually flipping open the Mercury Computer with one hand to start an active scan of the area. Almost immediately she stopped and looked at the screen. The entire area was littered with magical signatures, and only in the first few seconds of the scan. As it continued more and more low level magic distortions were detected.
 
“This isn't possible,” she said softly.
 
“No kidding,” Makoto said with a little concern in her voice.
 
Ami looked up, expecting the toughest of the Inner Senshi to be looking over her shoulder at the computer screen, but instead saw Makoto looking over to a stall not far away. Ami followed her gaze and found herself sharing Makoto's disbelief.
 
A giant black and white panda bear was carrying a bag of groceries and apparently arguing with a vegetable vendor in a series of grunts. A transaction was soon made, and the panda went on its way, walking towards them.
 
As it passed them it noticed the two girls staring openly at it. Pausing it reached into the grocery bag and pulled out a wooden sign with simple text on it.
 
`Good morning, ladies.'
 
The panda then bowed slightly, being polite.
 
Naturally the two girls bowed in return, “Good morning.”
 
The six foot bear then continued past them, grunting out a light tune.
 
After it had left, Makoto and Ami looked after it for a long time. In Makoto's mind the event just couldn't register and she was stuck in a moment of utter shock. To Ami it only proved that there may be something to Setsuna's thought that there may be something odd going on in Nerima.
 
She also, surprisingly, found herself reacting very similar to the Time Guardian.
 
“What the fuck was that?”
 
 
Polarity
By Seth
Chapter 3
Opposite Poles
 
Note: Ranma and Sailor Moon are owned by their respective creators and distributors. I use them without permission or gain, but with respect to the work done before me.
 
 
There is a saying in Nerima. Gods fear when Kasumi frowns.
 
She had a frown on her face this Sunday afternoon. It had actually been there for some time, but she had hidden it well. It wouldn't do for her to show what she really felt about the current situation, after all running around screaming and swinging a chainsaw at her father and his old friend would be unbecoming of a proper lady.
 
Her aggravation stemmed from the treatment of Ranma Saotome, a simple young man who had more then his share of problems. Before Ranma had arrived over a year ago, Kasumi was on the edge already. Her life was bland and repetitive, and the young man had brought life back into the household.
 
Before Ranma, her father was withdrawn, now he was active and full of life. Kasumi would be even happier with this if he wasn't so focused on ruining the lives of two people.
 
As much as she felt for Ranma, she also understood Akane's anger. The girl had never been treated well at school, and her martial arts were her only refuge. Even though she was mostly self-taught because of their father's depression, Akane had quickly become respected as the warrior queen of Furinkan High. Ranma had arrived and tilted the martial arts community on its ear, and Akane was now near the bottom of the heap.
 
Throw in the fact that the boy turned into pinup material and Akane's self image as the popular girl that all the boys wanted was shot out of the water.
 
Ranma didn't even really understand what he had done just by showing up, and that made it all the worse. Akane mistook his honest ignorance as false humility and ego, and it was only another knife twist in the girl's heart.
 
Everything that had happened after that only made things worse.
 
And now as Kasumi looked out from her place of peace, her kitchen, she saw Ranma sitting on the edge of the porch agonizing over what he had done, or what Akane had perceived him to do.
 
“Ranma,” Kasumi called out. The young man looked up and Kasumi almost winced at the look of hopelessness in his eyes. She waved him into the kitchen and had him sit on a stool while she leaned against the counter.
 
“It seems like things aren't going well for you at the moment,” she observed quietly.
 
Ranma grunted noncommittally.
 
She continued, “Have you talked with your parents about this?”
 
“Pops says to suck it up and take my beating like a man,” Ranma said, anger in his voice, “and I already know what Mom would say. Making my fiancée unhappy is unmanly, whatever the hell that means.”
 
The disgust in his voice made Kasumi pause, and in that instant she realized that she had been more of a mother to Ranma then his own. She had been kind, caring, and most important of all she had been there for him. Even now Mrs. Saotome wanted Ranma to stay at the Tendos so he could `be manly with his fiancée'.
 
The brown haired girl thought for a moment. If she was going to help Ranma, and her sister, she would need to be honest, like her own mother was.
 
She asked, “What happened in China?”
 
Ranma almost glared at her, but he knew that Kasumi was trying as best she could to help him. He started slowly, but eventually told her the entire story. After he was done he felt emotionally drained, but it was a burden off his chest that he had finally been able to talk about it.
 
Kasumi sighed, “I want to thank you for saving Akane.” She paused and then continued, “I don't think it will work out between you and Akane. The two of you were never mature enough for the kind of relationship that our families demanded, and now I think Akane is scared, and you…you are finding out that you need more in life then a cute smile every now and then.”
 
Ranma blinked, and then nodded. It did make sense to him. Neither of them had wanted the commitment that Soun and Genma demanded. But it still left an important question unanswered.
 
“So what do I do now?”
 
“I can't tell you,” Kasumi said. “You are at the part of your life where you have to make choices. Choices about the person you want to be. A martial arts master, or a husband, or maybe something else. All I know is that you have to stand by whatever you choose. And I've never seen you back down from a challenge of this magnitude.”
 
Ranma was unconvinced, “What about the arrangement? Our dads aren't just going to let this slide. They'll force me into marrying Akane. Not to mention all the other crap that Pops has piled on me over the years. It seems like if I do anything then someone will get hurt.”
 
“People get hurt, Ranma,” Kasumi said softly. “That's how life goes. You are hurt every time Akane rejected you. Shampoo and Ukyo are hurt whenever you run from them. Even I get hurt. It just happens. Its how we handle that pain that tells us what kind of person we are.”
 
Ranma snorted, “I guess I'm a coward then, for running away from all this.”
 
“Goodness no,” Kasumi said, honestly surprised. “You are the bravest, most self-sacrificing person I've ever met. You'd do anything to help those in need, even if they don't deserve it.”
 
“All that proves is that Ranma is a sucker.”
 
Kasumi and Ranma turned and saw Nabiki leaning against the doorframe, a smirk on her face.
 
Kasumi's frown returned, “That is not fair, Nabiki. After everything Ranma has done for us…”
 
“You mean done to us,” Nabiki countered. “How many times have we had to shell out for fixing the dojo, the roof, the doors, the walls, the floor, the table, and everything else around here? Face it, Sis, all Ranma does is break stuff. Trying to tell him that he's anything better is just deluding the poor slob.”
 
“I'm right here, you know,” grumbled Ranma. “And where do you get off accusing me of anything. How much money have you made off me lately? How many photos have you sold of me to Kuno? Or the other pervs in our school? How much did you make off selling me out to whoever you felt like?” His anger was starting to grow now, and he rose out of his seat. “How much did you get for ruining your own sister's wedding?” He was yelling now. “How much money was in it for destroying my one chance for happiness?!”
 
For a moment Kasumi saw fear flicker in her sister's eyes, but then Nabiki calmed herself and shot back, “Back off, Jock Boy. Or maybe you'd like me to make it worse for you? I think Kodachi would like to know you're a heavy sleeper.”
 
Kasumi flinched, and tried to stop Ranma, but before she could reach him his battle aura flared and his fist shot forward.
 
In a moment it was over, and Ranma's fist was a hair's width away from Nabiki's nose. Slowly the middle Tendo girl blinked and stumbled back to lean heavily against the wall, her knees trembling.
 
Ranma walked out, seething.
 
“I knew he wouldn't have the guts,” Nabiki said once he was out of earshot, an almost imperceptible tremble in her voice.
 
“I think he should have,” Kasumi said, steel in her voice. “You deserve it for that.”
 
Nabiki stared at her sister, who simply turned away and started working on lunch.
 
**********
 
Ami thought of herself as a rational person, but two hours in Nerima was starting to push it.
 
After the odd encounter with the grocery shopping panda she and Makoto had seen a duck delivering Chinese takeout, a narcoleptic horseman, a monkey serving tea, a guy dressed like a playing card trying to scam eight year olds, a girl on rollerblades chasing a pig named `Charlotte', and a little troll like man who had felt up Makoto as he ran by being chased by a horde of angry women.
 
Ami was slightly stressed.
 
“This whole place is a fucking psycho ward.”
 
“Amen, sister,” Makoto grunted as she leaned against the wall of the alley they had taken refuge in. “I swear I haven't seen weirdos like this since…well they do kind of remind me of the monsters we usually have to fight.”
 
Ami gave an amused snort, “I guess this is what normal people feel like when they see one of our fights. It just doesn't make sense, but its right in front of you so you have to accept it or go nuts. I wonder if that's what's happening here.”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
Ami looked out into the street and explained, “These people don't even think there is anything odd about all the things happening. Either it is normal for round here, in which case reality is out of whack; or they don't notice because they can't deal with it and block it out.”
 
Makoto sighed, “It could be us. We could be the ones seeing things you know. We've seen so much weirdness that it may affect us.”
 
“I know,” Ami said and looked her friend in the eye, “but that really scares me, and unless I get some kind of outside confirmation I really don't want to think about it.”
 
Makoto smirked, “That makes us sound like we're in denial.”
 
Ami groaned and rubbed her forehead, “This is not helping. We need to get out of here and tell Setsuna about this place. And then we need to avoid it for the rest of our lives.”
 
“Then lets scram,” Makoto nodded. “I want to go back to where the weirdos are attacking us, not shopping.”
 
**********
 
“And then we took the first train and got the hell out of there.” Makoto said, finishing her recount of the trip to Nerima.
 
She and Ami sat with the other Senshi in the Outer's living room sipping some calming tea Michiru had provided the distressed girls.
 
“If it were anyone but the two of you,” Minako said in wonder, “I wouldn't believe a word of it.”
 
“I was there,” Ami said as she worked on the Mercury Computer, “and I barely believe it. It's like the entire district is a hub of random events.”
 
“Chaotic events are more like it,” Setsuna said from behind her. She was looking over Ami's shoulder at the computer's screen and studying the readings the magical device had taken. “It's almost like the area is a magic sinkhole of some kind.”
 
Usagi looked up form the cookie she was nibbling on and asked, “What does all this have to do with us? If it's not an attack then shouldn't we leave it alone?”
 
“Kitten has a point,” Haruka said. “If we go looking for trouble we'll probably find it.”
 
Setsuna didn't bother looking up as she answered, “Perhaps, but we owe it to one of our own to find out if this is all connected.”
 
“One of us?” Rei became pensive, “Is this about that symbol I saw?”
 
Setsuna nodded, “Sailor Polaris, she was one of the best, and worst, of us.”
 
“Polaris?”
 
“Who was that?”
 
“Why haven't we heard about her before?”
 
A barrage of questions was called out at the same time, and Setsuna finally looked up and shouted for quiet. Once people were settled again she got ready to speak. But before she could, Hotaru spoke up.
 
“She was the one who taught me to fight with a staff, wasn't she?”
 
The Time Guardian nodded at the youngest of the Senshi and saw a small smile bloom on the girl's face.
 
“Polaris was the leader of a group of refugees from a dying world. Queen Serenity took them in, and Polaris became once of the Royal Senshi. She taught some of us her people's fighting styles, and helped us out in some tough spots. She was well liked by us all, even if a few never really admitted it,” at this she looked at Haruka who seemed confused.
 
Usagi asked, “What happened to her? Wasn't she sent forward like the rest of us?”
 
Setsuna actually looked sheepish at this, “In a way. Something happened in transit, and she wound up being returned to life in an unusual manner. Then I kind of lost her for a while.”
 
The last part was almost whispered, but still heard by all, and a quiet state of shock settled over the room.
 
“You lost her,” Michiru asked softly.
 
“Time is a fragile thing, and from what Ami is showing me here the area where Polaris may or may not be in is just the kind of place that distorts reality around it.” Setsuna returned to staring intently at the data Ami had gathered, “We need to be careful or could disturb a delicate balance here.”
 
Usagi asked, “Shouldn't we just go and look for her? Wouldn't that be the easy…”
 
“Oh no, not her,” Haruka suddenly said, realization dawning on her face. “Not that loud, egotistical, psychotic bitch. We don't want anything to do with her!”
 
Setsuna only smiled, “Remembered a little, did you?”
 
“A little?! She was constantly beating the hell out of me. And none of you ever stopped her.”
 
Makoto's eyes widened and she picked up the train of thought, “That's because you kept going after her. She always said that bruising your ego was the best way to train you.”
 
Minako added thoughtfully, “Polly did have a knack for figuring out how to push us…”
 
As the group slowly tried to grasp clouded, half dream like memories Ami and Setsuna shrugged at each other. If there was one thing these girls were good at it was dredging up rumors and gossip, and at this point it was all they could remember of Sailor Polaris.
 
“WHAT DID YOU SAY!?”
 
Suddenly Minako was upright and shouting into the face of her feline friend Artemis. She was holding the embarrassed looking cat by the scruff of the neck, and was fuming as she shook him, attempting to get an answer.
 
“Stop shaking me,” Artemis gasped out. Once he was still he continued, “I just said every time you butted into her personal life you wound up flat on you back just like Uranus. Polaris' social life was a major note of contention among the Senshi, and she wanted nothing to do with it. Not that it ever stopped any of you from trying to `help' her.”
 
Setsuna coughed, “Unfortunately Artemis is correct. Her opposition to courtship was legendary.” She smiled again, “You were always getting her into trouble back…” She paused as a bit of data crossed Ami's screen and her hand shot out, “WAIT! Stop there. Go back.” There was a long silence as Setsuna's eyes darted back and forth across the screen.
 
“What is it, Pluto,” Luna asked as she worked her way across the back of the couch to join her in looking over Ami's shoulder.
 
Ami spoke up, “There is a large concentration of magical and semi-magical artifacts in one location. According to this there are several chaos magic signatures in close proximity.”
 
“And among them,” Setsuna said coldly, “Is a trace of Polaris' energy.” She paused and thought for a moment. “I don't want to risk any of you going into that place again, especially after everything Makoto and Ami have told us. Tomorrow I'll go to Nerima and investigate this.”
 
“You shouldn't go alone,” Haruka said. “We don't know for sure that this area isn't more dangerous then we think.”
 
“At least take this,” Ami said as she closed the Mercury Computer and held it up to her. The others looked at the studious Senshi in surprise, and after a moment Setsuna accepted the device.
 
Knowing how important the computer was to Ami Setsuna said quietly, “I'll be very careful with it. I promise.”
 
Minako smirked, “At least we know there is one other place on Earth as weird as our town.”
 
**********
 
Ryoga looked around at the assembled men before him. He had been here a few times recently, and the people were accepting of him, even if they were a little odd.
 
The leader of the lodge spoke up next to him, “Bow you heads for the Man's Prayer.”
 
Ryoga did so, and was surprised by the wisdom in the words that followed, intoned by the assembly
 
“I'm a man. But I can change. If I have to. I guess.”
 
The Lost boy was comforted by these words, for was that not his nature? Cursed as he was he still fought on to change his life by removing the obstacle to his happiness, Ranma Saotome.
 
Mr. Green spoke up again, “I'd like to welcome Ryoga Hibiki as a new Lodge member. He's a good kid, and the only one ever to lift Moose Thompson over his head. And for that sacrifice at the Possum Lake Pie Eating Contest we thank him.”
 
Ryoga smiled at the applause. Every once in a while it was really nice to be appreciated, even if this place was almost as strange as Nerima was sometimes.
 
He'd have to see if he could get Mr. Green to fix his umbrella before he left to get back to Nerima; it was only a few towns over, after all.
 
**********
 
Ranma shivered, a cold spike of dread shooting up his spine. He looked around, expecting Ryoga or Moose, or Kuno with some new stupid attack. But for once he seemed to be in the clear.
 
He looked down from the fence he was walking on at the top of Akane's head and wondered for not the first time if his father was trying to get him to commit suicide.
 
This time he had been roped into walking with Akane down to the market to pick up a few last minute ingredients for sukiyaki tonight. His father was convinced that this would be the perfect time for him to apologize for everything over the last few days, even though Ranma continued to profess his innocence.
 
He was about to ask her a question about what they were going to pick up when he suddenly felt something brush against the edge of his awareness. It was as if he was being watched, and unlike the times with Sasuke, Copycat Ken, Hikaru Gosuinkugi, or even Nabiki, this presence was almost untraceable.
 
Trying not to show, he let his eyes drift across the areas ahead of him, scanning for anything out of the ordinary, but there was nothing there. Focusing behind him, Ranma couldn't feel anything there either. It was beginning to bother him, and he could feel his danger sense start to warm up.
 
“Are you listening to a thing I say?!”
 
Ranma blinked, “huh?”
 
Akane was looking up at him, shoulders squared and a heavy frown on her face, “Are you daydreaming about those floozies of yours again? I asked what your father wanted to talk to you about before we left.”
 
“Nothing important,” Ranma said dismissively as he started looking around more actively. “Do you feel anything strange?”
 
“What are you talking about?” Akane countered. “I thought you were going to apologize for being a creep!”
 
“Huh,” Ranma repeated. He was having trouble catching up with what the girl was saying as his danger senses flared. He could almost feel lethal intent in the air. He jumped off the fence and took up a defensive stance, head swiveling constantly looking for danger.
 
“He was supposed to tell you to apologize to me and be nicer,” Akane said under her breath.
 
“Wait, what?” Ranma stumbled out of his stance and looked at the Tendo girl. “How would you know what he was going to say? The only way you could know what he told me was if this…” Understanding suddenly dawned on Ranma's face, “If you were trying to set me up.”
 
He wanted to get angry at being manipulated once again, but before he could even start there was a deafening crack in the air, and a block down the road, at the entrance to the shopping arcade a glowing blue vortex exploded into existence.
 
There was movement from within it as forms began to emerge.
 
Then the screaming began.
 
 
To be continued…
 
 
Endnote: Next time, Ranma finds that not all his enemies are as nice as Ryoga as he and the Senshi face the first two waves of this new threat. Until next time, who put the bomp in the bomp she-bomp bomp?