Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Polarity ❯ Inversion ( Chapter 7 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Setsuna managed to shake off the last of her impact shock and saw the situation that had developed. Uranus and Neptune were off to one side, attempting to recover from their charge in to save their adopted daughter. Saturn was out of the way as well, leaning heavily on her Silence Glaive.
 
Her attention then shifted further down the street and for a moment she thought she was hallucinating.
 
Ranma stood between the Senshi and War in a low stance. Beyond the fact that the wounded young man was here was the fact that he was in a low, lose stance and glowing a bright blue.
 
Pluto could almost feel the power radiating off the martial artist as his aura burned brightly in daylight, and when it flared suddenly even she, the Mistress of Time, was hard pressed to keep track of him.
 
Ranma bolted forward, his feet barely touching the ground as he put every erg of energy into speed. Instantly he was inside War's guard and struck a hard fist to the knight's solar plexus followed by a backhand to War's sword arm. Turning as he attacked, Ranma dropped down and whipped a leg out, attempting to sweep his adversary off his feet.
 
War may not have been as fast, but his shear mass repelled the bulk of the attacks. He was rocked by the blows, but kept his feet and his wits as he jumped away from Ranma's sweep kick and brought his sword up in time to block a follow up jump kick that the pig tailed martial artist launched as War was recovering.
 
Ranma's kick landed on the flat of the blade, and the young fighter pushed off, gaining altitude and planning his next attack. He suddenly tightened into a ball in the air as War lashed out, arcs of energy shooting out from his sword and missing Ranma's smaller profile by the barest of margins.
 
Landing, Ranma focused hard, cupping his hands forward and concentrating his entire blazing aura into his palms where it coalesced into a blue sphere.
 
He shouted, “MOUKO TAKABISHA!” This released the blast, Ranma's signature move, and the ball rocketed towards War.
 
The red knight had seen this move before however and his blade was already in motion, but so was Ranma.
 
 
Polarity
By Seth
Chapter 7
Inversion
 
Note: Ranma and Sailor Moon are owned by their respective creators and distributors. I use them without permission or gain, but with respect to the work done before me.
 
 
War intercepted the youth's blast easily, but behind it was a pigtailed missile that landed on its hands in front of him, rolling slightly and then extending its legs in a powerful mule kick that War had no time to react to. Using his free arm, the knight managed to get his forearm in front of the kick, but the momentum of the attack still lifted him off his feet and sent him reeling back.
 
Ranma had the momentum now, and used it. Flipping up from his kick Ranma danced forward, hands and feet snaking out and beating a staccato against War's armored form. As he took the fight to his armored opponent, Ranma's face fell into his traditional grin.
 
“What's up, Tin man? I thought you were supposed to be this great embodiment of all things warrior. Can't handle a little kempo? Oh, mister Big Bad is just a tomato soup can after all.”
 
War jumped away, a low growl escaping his helmet as he lashed out once more, a wave of energy arcing towards Ranma who dodged out of the way. In a flash they were at each other again, sword flailing in vain to catch the nimble youth as Ranma rained ineffectual blows against War's durable armor. Even through the exchange, Ranma continued his taunting.
 
“Come on, where was all that skill from the last time I fought you? Don't tell me a bunch of cheerleaders winded a tough guy like you. My old man can move faster then that, and he's built like a beluga whale.”
 
Turning on one foot, the martial artist snap kicked War's head in a momentary opening. The impact was good, and turned the knight's head, but Ranma had to hide a wince as his abused ribs shot pain through his body, letting him know that he too was not at top form.
 
Still, he did not relent, “I could take a nap and you still wouldn't touch me with that oversized toothpick of yours.”
 
A flare of red light came out of War's visor, and a lightning fast backhand suddenly caught Ranma flatfooted and sent him flying. He landed a good distance down the street, and had to take a moment to shake off the impact, and before he finished he saw that War was thundering after him, sword held high and crackling with dark energy.
 
Before Ranma could dodge, the knight struck, but the blade stopped short as a tall, sandy haired blond blocked the blade with a glowing scimitar.
 
“Get out of here,” Sailor Uranus shouted back to Ranma as she pumped as much magic as she could into her arms. “He's too much for some kid like you!”
 
Recovered, Ranma shouted back, “Don't interfere in a man to man fight! Me and Buckethead have issues to settle here! And who the hell are you calling kid, you tomboy?!”
 
Pulling herself to her feet with the Time Key, Pluto grumbled out, “Not again.” She then shouted to the two of them, “Argue later, beat the bad guy now!”
 
Uranus and Ranma grimaced at each other, but moved quickly. Letting War's claymore slide off her blade at an angle, Uranus spun inward and slashed out, trying to get at the weaker areas of the armor under the arm. Meanwhile Ranma slid under her attack and through War's planted feet. Coming up from behind he gathered his energy and delivered a blow to the crimson knight's back as the Space Sword nicked the dark armor.
 
Knocked off balance again by the strong attack, War actually stumbled into the sword cut, deepening it to the point where the Senshi could hear him cry out in pain. This however did not stop the knight as he brought his blade around again, only to be intercepted again as Neptune re-entered the fray.
 
“DEEP SUBMERGE!”
 
The ball of magically charged water impacted against War's sword and knocked it out of his hand as he was mid attack, leaving him open for Pluto's follow up.
 
Holding her staff close she whispered out, “Dead Scream.”
 
The howling blast struck square, and War was sent flying back, his armor screeching in protest until he came to a stop some distance away.
 
For a moment there was silence on the battlefield, and Neptune and Uranus took it to go and help Saturn recover. The frail girl waved them off as she levered herself upright with the Silence Glaive. Pluto on the other hand worked her way over to where Ranma stood, his eyes fixed solidly on the downed form of War further down the street.
 
“Ranma,” she stated quietly, “thank you for helping us. You didn't need to, and really shouldn't have in your condition. I just thought you…”
 
Suddenly Ranma jumped at her, pushing her down as a blast of super heated air passed through the space she had just been standing.
 
“Dance ain't over yet,” Ranma grunted as he rolled off her and kicked up. He then added a simple, “No freaking way…”
 
War was standing once more, but damage was evident in the form of a gaping hole in the center of his torso. But instead of blood, of any form of organic mater, what leaked out of this wound was a black mist, curling a drifting away from the damaged form.
 
“Yes. Yes! YES! This is what I seek! Come, fight me! Let us descend into chaos together as War conquers all!”
 
Ranma pulled Sailor Pluto back up and muttered, “This guy's a total loon. He's actually getting off on all this destruction.”
 
“We must put him down quickly,” Pluto said softly, “before his madness destroys this entire area.”
 
Ranma thought for a moment, “He's worked up enough. The four of you need to stay clear. And it would probably be a good idea to grab on to something solid, the wind is gonna pick up.” With that the pigtailed youth dashed forward to reengage the wounded knight.
 
Meanwhile, Pluto ran to the other Senshi and ordered, “Fall back. Ranma is going to try something and needs us to stay out of the way.”
 
“Are you kidding?” Uranus growled. “That twerp is going to get himself killed!”
 
However Saturn interrupted, “Is he the one you were talking about?”
 
“Yes.”
 
That seemed to satisfy the youngest Senshi and she began moving away from the renewed battle.
 
Back in the fight, Ranma had discovered that a wounded War was even more fierce then before, and he was hard pressed to stay ahead of the lethal blade his foe had retrieved as they charged towards each other. He was at the limit of his speed as the metal edge flashed in his eyes again, and he hadn't even started his gambit yet.
 
He needed more speed, and there was only one way. The problem was that he knew that it would affect him adversely since his unhealed ribs would protest greatly.
 
Ranma had no real choice.
 
“Hey you, with the green hair,” he shouted out, “hit me with that water thing of yours!”
 
Neptune gasped, “He wants me to do what?”
 
But Pluto instantly understood, “A low power attack, as low as you can get. He just needs to be struck with cold water. Quickly.”
 
Neptune shrugged and took careful aim at the constantly moving martial artist. Using less energy then she ever had before, she cast her spell.
 
“Deep Submerge.”
 
The small sphere of barely charged water flew through the air. The shot was wide, due to the fight's constant shifting, but Ranma saw it coming and threw himself into the blue orb's path at the last second.
 
What emerged from the spell's detonation shocked three of the Senshi. A short, drenched, busty redhead flipped out and landed, panting softly and holding her side.
 
“That…hurt like hell,” the girl said as she winced. After a moment she stood upright, hiding her pain and facing War. “Ok sunshine, bring it.”
 
“You think a change in your form will aid you,” War laughed. “Your wounds reopen with the transformation, and you no longer have the strength to hurt me.”
 
Ranma smirked and made a come-hither motion, “It's not about strength, it's about speed and skill. Sure, you're strong as an ox, but all that armor weighs you down. You could barely hit me before, now you don't have a chance. And as for skill? I'm the best, and you're just some second rate poser zombie with a huge freaking hole in his chest. I think it's pretty obvious who will win this one, don't you?”
 
War started in, his swings missing by a bare margin as he countered, “My power is unlimited! The more you fight, the stronger I get! As chaos spreads, War devours!”
 
Ranma ducked under a quick swipe, almost getting her pigtail cut off, turned slightly and taunted back, “Yada, yada. You're all talk. I know a guy just like you, except he waves around a wood sword and gets the shit kicked out of him by cheerleaders.” Turning again she chuckled, “Oh, wait, so did you.”
 
War bellowed and started a savage barrage of sword swings, “I'll take your head!”
 
“Others have tried, and they were a lot more powerful then you. You're just a vapor head in a soup can.” Ranma continued to taunt the knight, maintaining her cool, keeping her head, and always turning to the right as she backed away from War's strikes.
 
Outside the battle, the Senshi watched in awe as auras started to become visible. War roared and red energy seemed to pour out of him as he was frustrated time and time again in his attempts to take down the redheaded blur before him. Ranma, however was glowing an almost white blue that left a trail of frost where she stepped.
 
Neptune cried out, “What is happening?”
 
“Cant you feel it,” Saturn answered as the wind started to pick up. “She's pulling all his energy. She's dancing with it…a death dance…all his hate and anger; she's going to use it somehow.”
 
Pluto looked down at the midnight haired Senshi of Silence and looked back up at the growing swirl of energies, “I suggest we move further back and find cover. This will not end well for us otherwise.”
 
Uranus asked, “Do you know what it is?”
 
Pluto shrugged and started pulling them away, “No idea, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to be near it when it goes off.”
 
Back in the spiral, Ranma nodded as the setup was almost finished. She only had a few more steps to take, so it was time to push the last button.
 
“Hey, Bronze-o! You're gonna rust before you hit me!”
 
“DIE!”
 
She took the last step, “Adios, asshole!”
 
“HIRYU SHOTEN HA!!!”
 
The blast was massive. War had been generating enough killing intent to light all of Tokyo and as his battle aura clashed with Ranma's Soul of Ice the combined ki swept upwards into a force five tornado that tore the knight off the ground and away from the young martial artist.
 
Ranma held her strike, fist raised in an uppercut that had crossed the ki lines. It was straining her to do so, and her ribs felt as if they were breaking once more, but she had to maintain absolute control over the force of nature she had unleashed. A few feet left or right and the Furinkan shopping district would be leveled, and she herself could be caught up in the lethal storm.
 
From outside the maelstrom the Outers could only stare as a dragon emerged out of the light. Glowing bright yellow, it trailed fire and ice in its wake is it shot upwards and swallowed War. With a triumphant roar the beast rose swiftly into the sky as the tempest increased in velocity around its creator.
 
From where they were clinging on to a cement bench for dear life, they could just barely make out the form of the young girl that had done this. Sweat poured off her brow, and her body shivered, but the redhead's fist seemed fixed to one point in the air.
 
The dragon roared once more and finally began to fade away. The winds died down, and the chaos around Ranma dissipated. The girl fell to her knees, gasping for air as the Senshi came out from behind cover.
 
“You never said the kid could pull a Starlight and change genders on us,” Uranus whispered to Pluto. “You also never said she could SUMMON FREAKING SHENLONG!”
 
Pluto narrowed her eyes, “This is not some anime, Uranus. That was not the Great Dragon. Our friend is a Ki Master, one of the very few in the world, and that was some kind of technique.”
 
“Oh, I see,” Saturn said as her eyes widened, “she focused her power to make it cool, and War was angry and hot. Their powers crossed and made the tornado.” At her adoptive parent's stares she answered, “We're learning about weather in science class. It's how storms are formed, when hot and cold air cross.”
 
“Ok, so that's how it's supposed to work,” Uranus said, ruffling her daughter's hair, “but how the hell did that kid do it?”
 
“Fifteen years of shit awful training,” Ranma said as she forced herself upright, “and a crazy old ghoul who loves to torment me. Now would one of you kindly tell me what is going…”
 
That was as far as she got as she once more collapsed to her knees and started coughing. The Outer's eyes widened in horror as splatters of blood appeared on the pavement. Pluto was there in the blink of an eye, holding the girl upright.
 
“Saturn, quickly! We're losing her!”
 
Dropping her Glaive, Saturn kneeled before the redhead and placed her hands on the weakened girl. Once contact was made she allowed her inner power to awaken, and gasped at the extent of the damage.
 
Ranma's injured ribs were once more cracked, and one of her lungs was punctured. Beyond that her muscles were strained severely and dark bruises started to develop on the arm she had used to unleash her final attack.
 
“I can't believe she went into battle already injured,” the girl muttered as she focused her power on the worst of the damage.
 
Pluto grunted, “It's in her nature, in this life as well as the last. Polaris was always willing to sacrifice herself for others.”
 
“So it really is her then,” Neptune said. “You really did lose track of her soul, didn't you?”
 
Pluto glanced up and answered sharply, “Even I did not believe everything the Gate showed me about her, until I met him. Ranma has all the spirit and courage of our lost friend, as well as her stubborn nature. It doesn't surprise me in the least that he would come out here, even if he was torn into little pieces in the process.”
 
“Damn,” muttered the girl she was holding, “I must be getting a reputation.”
 
Pluto quietly asked, “Are you all right?”
 
“Not even close.” The redhead opened her eyes and saw Saturn ministering to her wounds, “Are you doing that?”
 
The smaller girl nodded, focusing on her work, but still holding her breath, waiting for the redhead's reaction, and secretly hoping it wouldn't be negative. Her healing ability had been found out in her public life, and because of it she had been labeled a freak. But this was the reincarnation of Polaris, who had been a friend and mentor. She could only hope that that would stay unchanged.
 
“Nice work, kiddo.”
 
Saturn's face lit up into a smile that could rival any sun, and she resumed her work with twice the intensity.
 
Looking up, Ranma saw that Sailor Pluto was holding her up, and something once more tickled the back of her mind. A feeling of familiarity that she could not place.
 
“Do I know you?”
 
Pluto nodded, “In a manner of speaking. But for now you can trust that I am a friend.”
 
Ranma frowned, “Most of my friends are out to kill me, so you'll excuse me if that doesn't make me feel any better.” Pluto blanched at this, but it was Uranus that broke the moment with warm laughter.
 
“You always did know how to make friends. That is if you really are who Pluto says you are.”
 
“And who am I supposed to be?”
 
Pluto shook her head, “Whoever you need to be. This isn't your fight any more, we will handle it.”
 
“Now, wait a minute,” Uranus countered, “you said that you'd found Sailor Polaris. And if there is some kind of fight starting up again we may need her. If this is Polaris, why are you telling her not to fight?”
 
“Who says you can tell me anything,” Ranma fired back. “That joker came here, twice, so I figure you got involved with my fight. Besides, I walloped that clown a good one, he won't be back here for a long time.”
 
“Are you kidding me? You are barely breathing and got your backside mopped all over the place. You've got some power, sure, but you are just a kid. We need soldiers,” came Uranus' harsh answer.
 
“Bite me, Tomboy!”
 
“He-bitch!”
 
“SHUT UP! Both of you!”
 
Everyone looked to see the normally calm Neptune tapping her foot in a rapid staccato and twitching her eyebrow.
 
“You two don't see each other in a few millennia, and it can't be `oh, hello Polaris. It's good to see you again', or even `how have you been Uranus? Still practicing?' No! It's right back to bickering like a pair of drunken dockworkers! Humph!”
 
There was a long pause, and then Ranma managed to ask, “Is it me, or did that seem really…really familiar?”
 
Pluto chuckled, “Actually it does. The two of you never really got along back in the Silver Millennium.”
 
“You're the second person to mention that,” Ranma said. She winced as Saturn's healing power continued knitting her ribs back together. “I guess you're connected to her somehow? She said she didn't want me to be a part of this either.”
 
“And did that stop you?”
 
Ranma snorted, “Of course not. People were in trouble. I know I'm not the brightest guy in town, but I do know that if people need help, and someone had the power to help them then the only right thing to do is to do so.”
 
“But you hurt yourself so badly,” Saturn said, her brow covered in sweat as she put the last touches on her healing efforts.
 
Ranma smiled at the smaller girl, “Did that stop you from getting up when that tin can knocked you down?” Saturn shook her head. “Did that stop you from pushing yourself to exhaustion trying to heal me just now?” The other Senshi's eyes widened at this.
 
“You shouldn't push yourself so hard, you could badly hurt yourself,” Neptune scolded, kneeling down next to Saturn, a mother's worry on her face.
 
“It's all right,” Ranma said reassuringly. “I've been pushing whatever ki I can spare into her. That technique of yours is really amazing kiddo, but even with my help you're going to have a lousy morning tomorrow.”
 
Saturn sighed, “It was worth it…as long as you are all right.” With that her eyes closed and she rolled forward into Ranma's arms. Uranus and Neptune gasped, but the redhead held up a reassuring hand.
 
“She's just worn out, no damage done. If she had done any more then that I would have stopped her.”
 
“Not likely,” Pluto smiled, “she's just as stubborn as you when it comes to not letting her friends get hurt.”
 
Ranma looked down at the girl leaning against her, “I really don't understand what's going on. All this stuff about past lives and magic kingdoms is a little beyond me. Sure, I've dealt with magic, and it never seems to work right for me, but you girls seem to be using it for the right reasons. I know you may not want me to help, but you're not in this fight alone anymore.”
 
Pluto was about to tell her no again, but she looked down to see that Ranma had steel in her eyes. It was the same as when Polaris stood defiantly against hordes of creatures at the fall, and the Guardian of Time knew that there would be no dissuading Ranma from her choice.
 
“Sailors Neptune and Uranus can take Saturn now,” she said quietly. “If you are serious about helping us, then talk to the woman who visited you earlier. She will be able to get you started. But be sure that this is what you want to do. Take time to think it over, this is not a decision you want to make rashly.”
 
Ranma nodded and lifted Saturn up, gently handing her over to the two women. With that she looked Pluto in the eye and said calmly, “It's the duty of a martial artist to help those in need. I will not let these bastards hurt anyone else.”
 
Sailor Pluto nodded and raised her staff. In a flash of light the Senshi teleported away, and Ranma was left standing in the middle of the deserted street.
Looking towards the center of the district, the redhead mused on this new addition to her complicated life. And the choices she would have to make in the near future.
 
**********
 
War was alive, he knew that much.
 
The pain was far too great to be otherwise.
 
“You failed.”
 
War could not respond, not even to nod. He knew his master was angry with him, but the coldness of his voice made even the hardened warrior fearful. Almost as fearful as he had been when the blazing dragon had swallowed him moments before being teleported away.
 
“Twice you have been unable to defeat your foe,” his master continued, “but each time you have revealed important information. First that my old acquaintance had resurfaced, and now that she is indeed more powerful than before. I am grateful.”
 
War was relived to hear this, but his reprieve was short lived.
 
“And even so, you have still failed me twice. I do not tolerate this. Famine, he is yours.”
 
And then War saw Famine's gold hand come down on his head, and he knew agony as his very being was consumed by the sorceress. His cries of agony were only counter pointed by Famine's moans of pleasure as she devoured him entirely.
 
Finished, the sorceress knelt before the shadowed form of her master.
 
“His strength is now mine,” she confirmed.
 
“Then prepare yourself. It is now your duty to kill the last vestiges of a dead race.”
 
 
To be continued…
 
 
Endnote: I'll tell you, I'm actually in trouble here. The muse has told me she's working fewer hours, and she gave me the finger when I asked her to find some temp muses to fill in. But I shall not waver, this story will continue, have no doubt. Next time Ranma must face his problems at home while coming to grips with his new vocation as a defender of the Earth. Until then, FEAR THE PORK RIND!