Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Polarity ❯ Dynamic Forces ( Chapter 17 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

“Beautiful,” it was all Ukyo and Konatsu could think as they watched the jungle cat that was Ranma and the warrior woman astride him. It was grace and power rolled into one right out of a fantasy novel or high adventure manga.
 
And now this image of primal beauty and strength stood opposite to the Amazon Matriarch Cologne who rode her own war beast, a stone rhino. The two creatures slowly began to circle each other, one made of flesh and heart the other of ki and anger. Both ready to battle to the bitter end.
 
Konatsu whispered quietly to his mistress, “This battle has grown beyond us. We should retreat for now.”
 
“No,” Ukyo whispered back, “I have to stay, to see this out. I have to warn Ranma about my father. I owe him at least that much.”
 
The tiger that was Ranma roared once more and charged, the green skirted woman riding him gripped on with one hand and let loose a stream of lightning with the other.
 
Ukyo gulped, “Then again…maybe Ranma won't need my help after all.”
 
 
Polarity
By Seth
Chapter 17
Dynamic Forces
 
Note: Ranma and Sailor Moon are owned by their respective creators and distributors. I use them without permission or gain, but with respect to the work done before me.
 
 
Sailor Jupiter saw energy gathering in Cologne's hand and whispered down to her mount, “Ready when you are, Polaris.”
 
She felt a rumble between her bare thighs as the white tiger shifted and growled. That led to a roar as Cologne readied her attack and Saber Polaris broke into a run.
 
“SUPREME THUNDER!”
 
Jupiter's attack arced out before Cologne finished her own attack and the old Amazon was forced to will her construct into motion to avoid the lightning barrage. The rhino was not fast enough to avoid Polaris' attack, and claws raked the side of the stone beast leaving large gouges.
 
The large mystic tiger continued past the rhino and turned sharply, almost spinning in mid stride and striking again with bared claws, digging deeply into the construct's flank. Jupiter held on tight through the maneuver and began charging another attack when the motion calmed. Cologne was not idle during this however and lashed out, hoping to dislodge the girl from her mount.
 
“Let her have it,” Saber Polaris roared as he rammed forward letting the staff into arms reach of the lightning warrior. Jupiter snapped her arm up and caught the wooden staff, focusing her considerable strength to maintain her grip while energy arced around the antenna that had risen from her tiara.
 
“SUPREME THUNDER!”
 
The spell surged from her hand into the wood and Cologne barely let go in time as her gnarled walking stick shattered from the massive burst of energy. Even if she had gotten away in time, the elder felt her hand tingle from the power of the attack.
 
“It seems that you have a few tricks there,” she laughed. Then a glint entered her eye and she yelled out,” But you're still a hundred years too early to fight me!” She slammed both hands into the stone rhino's back and channeled her ki into the construct. The animal spun to face Polaris and Jupiter and opened its mouth. From within a large rock, the size of a man's head came shooting out like a cannon ball.
 
Polaris jumped away and to one side, but the high speed projectile still grazed his shoulder. The impact spun the tiger and Jupiter was forced to abandon another attack so that she could keep her grip.
 
Once they came to a stop she leaned forward and asker her friend quietly, “Are you all right?”
 
“Just grazed the armor,” Polaris reassured. “But we can't take too many of those. We need to finish this.”
 
“And you still don't know how to use all your powers,” the brunette astride Polaris sighed. “We need to get creative.”
 
The cat's eyes narrowed and he took a few paces backwards, giving him more room to fight as the larger beast construct gathered itself for another shot. When the ballistic boulder came flying from its mouth again, Polaris was ready. Gathering every ounce of power he could, he forced everything into his legs and jumped high into the air.
 
The leap was impressive, the arc perfect, and at its apex Jupiter saw that they would come down right on top of Cologne and her mount. But the Amazon saw this too and made to move. The green skirted Senshi reacted quickly to maximize the attack.
 
“JUPITER…OAK EVOLUTION!”
 
The shotgun like blast of hundreds of charged seeds bombarded the area Cologne was in, preventing her from moving, and the armored jungle cat dropped from the sky, claws first.
 
To the side, Ukyo and Konatsu could only stare at the cloud that had been kicked up from the blast and subsequent landing of the savage beast. The girl, and pseudo-girl, could feel their hearts hammering in their chests as the dust began to settle.
 
Shattered rock littered the ground, and the whiter war cat let loose a roar that shook the air around them as lightning arced off the tiara of his rider.
 
Beneath the pair, Cologne was held to the ground by a large paw, one of its sharp claws just touching her jugular vain. She dare not move or the beast Ranma had become would end her oh so long life.
 
“It's over,” Saber Polaris said calmly.
 
Cologne grunted, “You can not defy three thousand years of Amazon law just because…”
 
“IT'S OVER!”
 
The tiger's bellow caught the Amazon Elder off guard, and for a moment she wondered if the transformed young man was going to follow through on the implied threat of the claw at her neck.
 
The beast continued to speak, “In case you haven't noticed, I don't take crap like that from anyone any more. My fath…Saotome I get. He wouldn't give up on his precious retirement for anything, except more money. I even understand all the other idiots around here to a certain level. But you should know better. I've never believed in your laws, they are stupid, and now I see them for what they are. They are a twisted reflection of justice.”
 
He took a breath and continued, “The little problems your people have are nothing compared to what I have to face now. There is a fight coming, bigger then any you can imagine. If you interfere with that it could cost us this whole world. Do you really want that on your shoulders?”
 
The white tiger leaned his head down and looked the old woman square in the eyes, “If you, or any Amazon, ever attempt to try and `claim' me, or harm anyone I care about, I will personally come to China and cash in on debts that Saffron and Herb owe me. If you imagine to do me harm then you should also imagine what your village would look like as a smoking crater.”
 
Cologne gasped, “You wouldn't!”
 
Polaris' claw lightly scraped Cologne's skin, “Do you really want to bet your life on that?” Then the big cat turned and strode away, Sailor Jupiter glancing back at the defeated Matriarch, a ball of energized plasma spinning in her hand, daring the older woman to make a move.
 
She did not.
 
The power that Ranma had, not just by himself but with his allies, could easily overwhelm the Amazon people. Cologne held no illusions, Ranma was now far beyond tricks, traps, and bullying. The reprisal would be more costly then any one man, even one as strong as Ranma was worth.
 
This would take time.
 
**********
 
“Very nice, Fuzz-face,” Haruka clapped as cat and rider approached. “I guess you're getting the hang of the new form after all.”
 
Sailor Jupiter jumped off her mount and in a flash of light armored tiger was replaced with young man, scratching the back of his head sheepishly.
 
“I always did do well in high pressure situations,” the young man said with a half smile. “I'm just glad it's over.” He turned to face Ukyo and Konatsu and added, “It is, isn't it?”
 
Ukyo looked at her childhood friend with wide eyes, and for a moment felt fear. She then saw that Ranma's hand was gently held by a long white glove trimmed in green and felt a pang of jealousy, and loss. She took a deep breath and released those emotions; they would no longer serve her and would only alienate someone she still cared about.
 
“Yes and no,” She answered. “I'm not going to make the same mistakes those jackass' did. That's what got us into so much trouble with you.” She took a breath and braced herself, “The problem is with my father. I found out you…left your family, and I passed that on to him. I though he would let the whole marriage thing drop with that. He did, after all he's pretty traditional. Instead he just wants me to murder you now.”
 
Ranma's eyes narrowed slightly, as did Sailor Jupiter's and Haruka's. The sandy blond hefted her sword again and shifted to aim the blade towards the young cook, but Konatsu moved between the two.
 
“Please let her finish, my Lady,” the transvestite ninja pleaded with Haruka.
 
Ranma nodded, “Go on, Ukyo.”
 
The brunette continued,” I can not, will not kill the first, only person to really treat me like an equal. Like an idiot I let myself get dragged into the fight for you.” She glanced down again and added, “A fight that none of us won. But that doesn't really change that you were my friend. I don't know if you still are or not, but that doesn't matter to me. I will not do this and my father can go to hell even if I…I have…to become ronin just like you.”
 
Haruka took a step back and lowered her blade, eyes darting to Ranma to take in the young man's reaction. Hers were not the only eyes on the martial artist; Konatsu looked on with hope and Sailor Jupiter with concern.
 
Softly Ranma spoke, “You've always been more then a friend to me. You were like the sister I never had, but always wanted. You were a girl and still strong, and flew in the face of everything Genma ever taught me.”
 
“But what about Akane or Shampoo? They were strong girls too.”
 
Ranma shrugged, “Akane was, at best, a martial arts otaku. She never understood the Art at its core. As for Shampoo…she doesn't understand to meaning of freedom. I don't think any Amazon does. They are slaves to `tradition' and `Amazon Law'. There's no real heart there.”
 
Ukyo asked, almost fearfully, “So…what about me?”
 
Ranma smiled, “You train because you love it. You don't fight because you need to. Like you said, you've screwed up in the past, but I'm willing to try and find my friend again. Are you, U-chan?”
 
Ukyo wiped tears from her eyes, “Hell yeah, Ran-chan.”
 
They stood smiling at each other for a moment, but the silence was interrupted by a girlish squeal from Konatsu as he jumped up and down in front of Sailor Jupiter, grabbing the stunned Senshi's hands.
 
“It really is you! You're one of the Beautiful Sailor Senshi, magical warriors of love and justice!”
 
The lightning Senshi blinked at the ninja's enthusiasm and nodded in confirmation. With another girlish squeal Konatsu began blurting out questions, complementing Jupiter's uniform, asking about her attacks, and admiring her hair and jewelry. Seeing this Haruka gave the Inner Senshi a smile that had meaning.
 
Better you than me.
 
**********
 
It took some time, but they had finally gotten away from Nerima. Ranma had to promise Ukyo an explanation of his involvement with the Senshi in the near future, and sailor Jupiter had to promise Konatsu autographs of all the Senshi, but they had gotten away.
 
Ranma had taken to the rooftops, deep in thought about the possibility of Ukyo's father gunning for him now. Haruka had gotten back on her bike, giving a wave and a smile to the cook and kunoichi. And Sailor Jupiter had leapt back on to the bridge, met once again with Sailor Pluto, and vanished into thin air.
 
They had all met up just outside of Nerima, and after Ranma made sure that Konatsu had not followed them, they all rippled out of existence and reappeared in an alleyway near Makoto's apartment.
 
Sailor Jupiter finally released her transformation, and instantly Ranma spun on one heel to face away from her.
 
“What?”
 
Haruka chuckled, “I'm guessing you left in a hurry, Makoto.”
 
The tall brunette looked down and saw that all she had on was a t-shirt and a pair of panties. She `eeped' and attempted to cover herself, cheeks flushing a bright red. The other Senshi smiled and could tell that Ranma too was reacting to the situation with embarrassment as the tips of his ears were also bright red.
 
Quickly the young man undid his silk shirt, leaving him in pants and tank top and held it out behind himself. With a mumbled thank you, Makoto took the Chinese shirt and quickly put it on, glaring at Haruka when she caught the older girl leering from a second.
 
Doing up the last of the wooden ties Makoto spoke, “Ok Ranma, I'm all set.”
 
Turning, Ranma blinked and had to force his blush from resurfacing. The shirt, in his girl form, could easily pass as a short dress. The red silk would come down well past her hips. On Makoto, who had six inches on Ranma's female side, was only just enough to be considered decent.
 
The two of them stared at one another for a few moments, and finally Ranma managed to stammer out a few words.
 
“That looks…really nice…on you. Nice legs…Um…It shows that you…have…nice legs…”
 
Makoto managed to take her eyes off the muscles that the tank top failed to hide and worked out a reply.
 
“You…look hot…good, I mean good, too. I can really see…tell that you…work out a lot…right.”
 
Haruka was covering her mouth, holding in laughter at the two teen's awkwardness, but Setsuna, who had dropped her own transformation, punched her lightly on the arm and sighed.
 
“Teenagers, too many hormones and no idea how to handle them,” she grumbled. Then spoke out loud, “Now then, we should get upstairs to Makoto's apartment. I'm sure that Ranma would like to thank his Master for helping revive Makoto.”
 
“Yeah right,” Ranma agreed as he turned his attention away from the young woman in his shirt, with some difficulty. “By the way, thanks for the backup out there, Haruka. We may not have been able to hold out as long without you.”
 
“No problem Fuzz-face. Now I have to figure out a way to explain to Michiru why the hell it took me so long to get her violin,” the blond shrugged and straddled her bike. Giving the group a wave she started the motor, revved it, and pealed out onto the street.
 
Setsuna led the two teens upstairs after that, and Makoto opened her apartment door to see Hotaru pacing back and forth in the main room, worry etched on her young face
 
“We're back,” she announced, and no sooner had she said it then the girl became a small missile that impacted both her and Ranma, pulling them into a hug with small and emotionally charged arms.
 
“Worried, Starsprite?” Ranma asked with a smile. “You shouldn't have been. We are just that awesome after all.”
 
“Just glad you're ok,” Hotaru said softly. “After all, Mister Happosai seems hurt. I worried that Makoto may not have healed all the way.”
 
“The ol' fart is hurt,” Ranma asked. Hotaru nodded, and led Ranma over to the couch while Makoto darted into her bedroom to change. Ranma found Happosai sitting calmly sipping a cup of tea, his eyes closed. “So what's this about you being hurt, Old Letch?”
 
“Our young lady here is just overreacting to what reviving your immortal friend cost me, that all,” the Master said calmly. He then turned in Ranma's direction and opened his eyes to show pure white. “I willingly gave some of my not inconsiderable life force up to purge Makoto of the infection that was attempting to overpower her soul.”
 
“Wait, you mean…”
 
Happosai nodded, “Yes, it shortened my life, but after so long it doesn't bother me as much as I thought. Oh don't worry, I have more then enough time left to correct a few mistakes. Foremost of which is finishing your training.”
 
“How? I can already beat…the Panda, Cologne, and even you one on one. What do you have left to show me?”
 
“Three things,” Happosai said simply. “But for now I think you'll need some rest. Tangling with that bunch is stressful at the best of times. We'll start tomorrow. For now, Ms. Setsuna has promised me a nice hotel room.” With that the old martial artist slid off the couch, put his small cup back on the coffee table, and headed for the door.
 
“Come along, Hotaru,” Setsuna added, “you could use some rest as well.”
 
The younger girl looked down, “But I wanted to stay with Sensei.”
 
“He and Makoto need to work out where they stand,” the Time Guardian smiled and held out her hand for the teen.
 
Ranma blinked, “Huh?”
 
Setsuna smiled, “You have memories that are trying to integrate into your current life, which is never easy. And in your last life you were close to Makoto, close enough that it still shows slightly in this one. The two of you need to talk, and work out what you mean to each other.” As Ranma was about to protest, Setsuna held up a hand, “Do not repeat your mistakes. Communication may not be your best skill, but it is often most important to a relationship, between friends or lovers.”
 
Ranma blushed, but nodded. And as the small group left he silently promised to himself to never make those kinds of mistakes again.
 
Turning he saw that Makoto had returned, his shirt draped over her arm. She had changed into a simple dark green shirt and a pair of jeans, and even if it was plain, it still looked good on her. He took his shirt back and nodded his thanks.
 
“So, what now,” Makoto asked.
 
Taking a breath, Ranma answered, “You know all about me from when I told you my story. But I know next to nothing about you. I remember a little about you from…before, but that may not be who you are now.”
 
“You didn't really change,” she said, but then added, “Personality wise, that is.”
 
Ranma shrugged, “Maybe, but I still want to know. Who is Kino Makoto?”
 
The two teens sat down on the couch, and the reborn princess of Jupiter started telling her tale. She left nothing out, just as Ranma had. Even the difficult parts like losing her family, being an outcast in school, and even dying in the battle against Queen Mettallia.
 
As the story unfolded the hours crept on.
 
And neither teen noticed that they had been holding hands.
 
**********
 
Famine looked down along the blade of her sword. The weapon that had once been wielded by War now shone with her power as she hefted it, eyes locked on its point.
 
“Soon, Sailor Polaris your race will come to an end to feed my hunger.”
 
“Do not overestimate your power,” a girlish voice chirped from the darkness. “She handled you quite nicely the last time you fought.”
 
Famine snarled, “I was unprepared for her sudden changes. That will not happen again.”
 
“That may be, but if you fail again then the Master has decided to unleash Plague upon them,” said the happy sounding voice, “and then your soul belongs to me.”
 
Famine swung her sword at the voice, black energy pouring off its edge. But she only cut air as laughter faded into the darkness.
 
“You know nothing. Revenge will be mine, and so will the power. Do you hear me Death?”
 
But the childish laughter was gone, and all that was left echoing in Famine's ears were from the voice of a white haired warrior.
 
I know you. You're Ghost, aren't you? I thought you were dead…”
 
In the shadows, pale lips smirked and whispered, “Not yet she isn't.”
 
**********
 
Cologne sat with a bandage around her neck. She had stopped fuming hours ago and had dropped into a fugue. Shampoo had been put into her bed, and was tended to, but Ukyo had not been gentle in knocking her out so it would be some time before she awoke.
 
But that was not the Matriarch's concern at the moment.
 
The look in the Ranma-cat's eyes had been cold and hard. They were eyes she had seen before from warriors that had taken a life, and were ready to do so again. She had seen many wars, the most recent being the battle for the peninsula that the Americans had gotten involved in, and it was there she had seen those eyes last.
 
Ranma was ready to kill her, and then there would be all hell to pay.
 
Her fury was gone now, and she was berating herself for acting rashly. She could have twisted the situation to her benefit, but that window was closed. Ranma now saw her as an enemy. And with his power, and his allies, she knew that he could carry out his threat and destroy the Amazons utterly.
 
“Damn me for a fool,” the old Matriarch muttered to herself in the dark.
 
**********
 
The dawn came, slowly but with the comfort of soft light passing through light clouds. It washed away the darkness of night, chasing away bad dreams and welcoming dreamers to the promise of a new day.
 
In a small apartment in Juuban a pigtailed young man slept sitting on a soft couch. In his arms slept a pointy tailed young woman. Her arms were around his torso and her cheek was against his heart. His arms were wrapped protectively around her, his nose buried in her chestnut hair.
 
Their faces had dried tears on them, but small smiles of comfort and relief as well.
 
The new day would welcome them as well, but not just yet.
 
For now they slept as friends reunited.
 
 
To be continued…
 
 
Endnote: awww…Anyway that tackles the first half of this story. There is closure with most of Nerima, and Ukyo and Konatsu may become allies in the fight to come (TEAM TRANSVESTITE…GO!). Happi ain't dead yet and will be a pain in the Senshi's skirt covered asses soon enough, and the enemy is tuning up the band once again. Until next time…I have seen the Light, and it's only forty watts.