Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ A new School; a deadly decision ❯ Wing four ( Prologue )

[ A - All Readers ]

She stared up at the huge school in front of her, partly in shock, partly in pleasure, and partly in fear. The iron gates of the large property were beautifully carved with intricate designs of vines and angels. Just beyond it, a long walkway led to a stone fountain in the middle of the courtyard, circling around it. On either side of the path, flowers of every kind were in full bloom, colourizing the magnificent scene.

Looking around, she noticed that students were gathering into their own groups. Their prim uniforms were unbelievably clean and proper. Each boy's hair was neatly combed. Each girl's make-up was done without a flaw. Instantly, she felt small and unworthy to be here. She clutched her worn schoolbag closer to her, and took a deep breath.

Rosehill Academy, the most prestige private school in the entire country. Known for its excellence in academics, it was the most famous, not to mention, expensive, private school of all. Those who had the privilege of attending it were considered rich and powerful. It was a place of nobility, a place for the wealthy, and most of all, *not* a place for her.

She walked up the path, ignoring the looks she received from the other students, who obviously did not recognize her. The long braid down her back felt unnatural, but she hadn't wanted to attract attention, and if she had left it in its usual hairstyle and hair colour, attention was exactly what she would have gotten. She wondered why she was here as she made her way through the grand building to the main office. Her parents weren't rich. She was neither intelligent nor famous. In fact, she considered herself to have no talent at all. So why?

Because her parents had wanted her to go. They had wanted it so much, in fact, that she felt guilty about not going at the beginning of the school year. A little over a week ago, she had finally succumbed to their hope and gotten the transfer papers. To say her parents had been happy would have been the understatement of the year. It had been worth giving up going to the same school as her old friends to see that look on their faces. Of course, they all had to make some sacrifices. The family budget was now extremely tight due to the extra tuition fees and hospital fees. But the worst thing was that they couldn't see her now, no her sister and mother were happiest about her getting in but she could only share her happiness with herself. You see about a year ago Dani's family was in a horrible accident and now they live in the hospital. Her father and brother have mental problems; her mother is paralysed and her twin sister and herself like by themselves at home.

The first bell rang, and she realised that if she didn't hurry, she would be really late. Picking up her pace, she took off at a slow jog to the main office, muttering how the design of the building was inconvenient, with the office so far from the entrance.

She smiled shakily at the people that were staring back at her. The teacher introduced her to the class. Unfortunately, few people smiled back. She gulped nervously. The school may be well known for its academics, but she would give it an F for friendliness and enthusiasm.

She seated herself next to a blond haired boy who had been one of the few who smiled back at her. "Hi," she greeted him with a smile. "I'm Dani Tsukino, nice to meet you."

"I'm Quatre Winner," the boy replied, shaking her hand.

He gave a gentle nod in the direction of the teacher, and Dani understood that he'll talk to her a little more after class. She couldn't quite believe that she was paying attention, but she had improved over the years. In between listening to the teacher talk about the wonders of the atom and its structure, she couldn't help losing herself in her thoughts. The boy next to her was Quatre Winner? This is the heir to the Winner Corporation, the largest business in the world? They really do only have the most well known people in the world at the school.

As soon as class was over, she followed Quatre out of the classroom.

"Sorry about earlier," he told her, "but if the teachers here catch you talking in class, you'll get extra homework."

Dani made a face. "I hate homework," she stated. "Thanks for telling me."

"No problem," the boy answered. Together, they walked to their next class. On the way, Quatre told her about the different departments of the school, informing her of after-school activities that she could participate in, and so on.

"Do you do this introduction often?" Dani asked with a grin once they reached the doorway of their class. "You sound like you've done this many times before."

Quatre blushed. "Not that often," he responded. "Once you've been here long enough, you just know."

Dani was about to make a comment when a commotion in the room drew her attention away from her new friend. She turned her head, and what she saw made her frown. At the far end of the room, a boy sat looking out the window, dark circles under his eyes, hair in a wild mess. He looked as though he hadn't bathed in days. Just then, a girl walked by, and purposely knocked the stack of books on his desk onto the floor. Slowly, the boy got up and picked them up. All the while, no one offered to help him. Instead, all Dani saw from the other students were snickers hid behind their hands, or looks of disgust towards the boy.

She took a couple of steps towards him, determined to help, when Quatre suddenly grabbed her arm and dragged her back with a force she didn't know he possessed. He shook his head vehemently at her, slight fear flickering in his eyes.

"Why not?" she hissed. She hadn't thought the blond-haired boy in front of her could be so cold-hearted. Could she have misjudged him?

"Do you want to be next?" he asked her softly.

"Next to do what?" she replied, confused.

"Be tormented until you quit the school," he answered. "That boy's been tagged by Wing 4. It's in your best interest not to approach him."

"Wing 4?" she echoed, her brows furrowing.

"Wing 4 is like the elite of the students. They're just four other students, but everyone else respects them and look up to them. If you do something to offend them, then you'd inevitably be tagged," Quatre offered her this very brief explanation.

"Don't the teachers care?" Dani questioned, scowling.

Quatre shook his head. "Being tagged is nothing more than having a piece of red ribbon stuck to your locker. Besides, Wing 4 don't do anything other than tag you. The student body carries out the punishment."

Dani frowned again, looking at the boy who was gathering his books with sympathy. Have the entire school turn on you and drive you to quit. That would be hard on anyone. She turned back to Quatre, who looked as though he also felt bad for not helping in fear of offending Wing 4. No one in their right mind would want the entire school against them.

"Quatre, who are the members of Wing 4?" she asked quietly.

Quatre looked surprised. He pondered whether or not to answer before telling her. "Their names are Duo Maxwell, Trowa Barton, Wufie Chang, and Heero Yuy."