Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ A Soldier's Duty ❯ Chapter 11

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A Soldier's Duty
4th Labor chapter 11

"Of men who have a sense of honor, more come through alive than are slain, but from those who flee comes neither glory nor any help." Homer (~700 BC)

"Even the reverse side has its reverse side." -Japanese proverb

------------

"Would someone please explain what's going on?"

It was the latest in a long string of shocks for a person named Grey L Shard. First, this little bombshell laid on him by a *very* pretty girl with some interesting swords. And a pair of girls who likely could have started a riot at almost any American high school. Dangerous somehow, even more than the girl with the swords. He'd manifested the Chain at the first sight of the albino.

Second, the crowd of people waiting around. People he'd never seen before. Some glanced up at him, some seeming to eye him briefly as if they were weighing him. Particularly when they saw the Chain and that he was limping. They obviously started talking about him. He heard his name mentioned a few times.

Third, someone finally read the newspaper article to him. Though they stopped after the list of fiancees and from the excitement there was something *else* in there they weren't mentioning. How many girls was he expected to marry anyway?! He was still reeling from Ami's rejection and this samurai girl saying that SHE was engaged to him.

Grey Le Shard, American schoolkid, was suddenly confronted with the idea that he had to walk a *very* fine line or he'd destroy someone's family honor.

He had a feeling he was going to screw this up.

When he saw a TV newscrew from a local station, he became certain of this.

-------

Ami got home, flicked the TV on, hoping that something would take her mind off what had just gone on at the love hotel, and tried to settle her feelings so that she could get her mind on her studies. Besides, in a little over a half hour they were having an episode of Skysaber toted as "Bath-house Blues? Secret Of The Spy Soap!" which would be likely to be amusing at least.

TV: "...and since Shard-san is not fluent with Japanese, we have used a translator."

Ami twitched. Shard-san was obviously nervous and self-conscious. So did most of the girls in the background. Except Minako, who was acting as if she were born to be on television.

TV:"This is Tezuka Mizuhara, TV 10! Are you Greylle Shard?"

Grey:"Ah, yes. Sorry, my Japanese is not very good. i've tried to learn but have not had much time."

Ami winced. They'd given Grey-san a scared little boy's voice.

Mizuhara: "So what do you think of your fiancees?"

Grey: "Other than Ami-chan, i didn't know i *had* any fiancees. i know a couple of them, i guess. They'd said something but i wasn't sure i understood. My Japanese isn't very good. Just... This isn't live, is it?"

Mizuhara: "Ah, so Mizuno-san is already your 'Ami-chan' is she? What do you think of her?"

Ami winced again. Grey-san did not have a very good poker face. He went into obvious pain, and was that a tear?

Grey: "Ami-chan? She's beautiful and smart, and she's got this smile... and those eyes. i could spend hours looking in those eyes."

Ami twitched a few times.

Mizuhara: "Beautiful?" A small box with Ami's picture was superimposed on the feed from the camera, the caption giving her status as a high school cram ace/genius girl.

Grey: "Cute, gorgeous, elegant. But she doesn't like me. From something she said, i don't think she likes guys. At least not THAT way."

Girls in background: "WHAT?!"

Ami fell off the chair.

Grey: "It sounds like the reason that her friend Makoto beat me up the first time we met is because the two are lovers."

Ami twitched from her position on the floor, slowly raising her head up to where she could see the screen again.

Makoto's eyes were big as saucers. The camera had gone in for a close up. "...but... we're just friends. Really. Why doesn't anyone believe that?"

Mizuhara: "Ah, so that would be Makoto Kino and Ami Mizuno are *that* way. I see. That does still leave the others. What about... Miss Aino?"

Minako had sidled up to Grey's side. "I think Shard-san is misunderstanding something, but Minako Aino will embrace Duty!" Minako bowed to the camera, then took her fiance's arm.

Ami made a strangled noise, got up and rushed out the door.

-------

The argument had stopped in the Tendo living room as well.

Grey: "Uhm, Aino-san? I really need a little time to get used to this. Are you sure?"

Minako: "Well, he's not cute. But he's nice and that covers a lot. Besides, he needs a fiancee who can speak English until he gets the hang of Japanese."

Other girl: "I object! The Meiou claim is much older."

Grey: "Setsuna? You're serious? You're... young?"

Akane frowned. It sounded like the boy was a pervert, leading a bunch of girls on.

Setsuna: "I call for a contest! A dating contest. Each of the fiancee candidates shall date Grey-chan once. In that way he can make an informed choice as to who will be his fiancee."

Soun heard that and was running for Juuban, Akane flapping behind him from one arm as she was dragged at such high speeds that her feet didn't come close to the ground.

Kasumi, ignored as usual, pursed her lips as she watched the interview. Well, Akane could do worse. Nabiki could marry Ranma. Just as long as they left *her* out of it. Though with that much money, she could really outfit a nice kitchen.

Grey: "Dating contest?!"

Setsuna: "Just a date. Go out for dancing or something. Check for compatibility."

Mizuhara: "According to this you have ties to several families. How do you feel about this?"

Grey: "Overwhelmed."

Minako: "Well, what do you expect, Grey-chan? Life is short, sleep while you can!"

--------

The Wizard turned away from the screen and looked over the Witches 5 and Kaolinite. Though this was only on one television station, and was just a brief part of their newscast, it meant that certain facts could now be brought to light. "The press has discovered that the boy is pivotal, though neither he nor they know why."

"So what should we do? We can't kill him. Heck, the *heroes* seem bound and determined to kill him." Eudial was concerned about this. Besides, it kept people from talking about her failure to catch Senshi. Not that anyone else was more successful.

The Wizard considered. "The Virtual Beast is almost ready. In the meantime... Terurun, Eudial, Cyprine, Mimette, Villuy. One of you will have to join the fiancee group."

"WHAT?!" Five witches were aghast at this sudden development.

"There you will seek to stir things up, lest he decide on one girl. I'll send a few daimon by as well. You'll be an agent, undercover of sorts. Kaolinite is already known to them due to her earlier bungling."

"Not my fault!"

The Wizard gestured and the image television turned off. "There are more important considerations for now."

"Such as..." Eudial was the one speaking, but more than one of the Witches began to sweat.

"Such as why you are all still here when at least one of you, not counting Kaolinite, should be attending this Shrine to see about the boy?"

Several Witches began to particularly sweat. "Uh..."

"I see. So you doubt my power or authority here. You feel that gating in all these other elements has left me weak."

Frantic shaking of heads (Mimette, Terurun, and Eudial) while Cyprine stood and conjured her staff to hand. "No. But now that you mention it..."

The Wizard brought a hand up in a quick gesture. Then tsked and gestured at where Kaolinite held a knife to thrust in his back, having conjured an image of herself earlier in order to get into position. "Well, now. What do we have here?"

Only the eyes of the Witches were able to move, and several of those were bugging in terror.

"Kaolinite. You disappoint me yet again. I shall have to be creative with you." The Wizard considered the older woman briefly. "Nothing personal, but if I fail to make an example of you, however will I maintain discipline?"

Kaolinite glared at the Wizard.

"Your affection for Professor Tomoe no doubt led you to this rash course of action." The Wizard walked around Kaolinite inspecting her. "Perhaps you should be a mannequin on display? Or join the Professor you so admired? Perhaps turn you to a statue of ice and let you slowly melt and drain away? Transform you into a horrifically ugly monster that the Senshi could then destroy? No, too cliche."

Cyprine, aka Puchirol, aka a number of other aliases, began to experience a level of discomfort that she had never felt before. Almost religious in the intensity of her prayer that she be overlooked.

"I'll think about and get back to you." The Wizard said, then inspected the Witches 5. "No offense, Mimette, but you seem to be a bit bipolar. That doesn't work too well with espionage assignments. Eudial - you think you're more clever than you are. Terurun - maybe, though you've a vicious streak that might be hard to suppress. Villuy - if Terurun has a vicious streak then yours is a raging river. You are likewise unsuitable for trying to hide your true colors. So the best choices for my operative in this little event would be either Eudial or Terurun."

Eudial and Terurun began to sweat, but as the Professor was the only one not currently paralyzed, they couldn't protest.

"Eudial's a bit old," said the Wizard thoughtfully, enjoying the slight flinch from the one Witch. "While Terurun is lacking in sex appeal." Terurun *glared* at that one.

Another gesture and Mimette, Villuy, and Kaolinite vanished. Cyprine, Eudial, and Terurun were left. Eudial and Terurun found they could move after a few moments.

"I've sent them on to their power bases, except for Kaolinite who is now in my lab," the Wizard explained. With a gesture, he brought forth a flask of some thin black fluid. "What we have here is the classic Overwhelming Love Potion. This is different from the Erotic Impulsive Sports Drink that you have been given use of, Eudial. It is actually a virus, and therefore contagious, but I have a cure for it. How it acts is deceptively simple and consists of three parts.

"It takes about four minutes for it to work. There is, within the memories and patterns of the human brain, a template marked Ideal Mate. The first thing that this does is erase that template. The brain will then imprint a new template based on whoever is present at that time. Which is why you must be alone when you give the Chain Wielder the potion.

"The second thing is to attack the victim's own self-image. Any comment directed towards the victim from their new ideal will help to reform their new self-image. Reinventing themselves in order to please this new ideal mate. This phase passes after a few minutes.

"The third and final thing is to rearrange the neurons within the brain relating to their new master. They will never lose the giddy happy feeling of their love for the individual in question."

"Ah. We've got to get him to drink all *that*?!" Eudial looked at the flask and guessed there was about 20ml of the fluid. Which looked particularly unappetizing.

"Oh no, not at all." The Wizard smiled. "Five drops, no less, is one dose. More won't cause any harm. Less will just cause a pleasant buzz and feelings of attraction for you if you happen to grab their attention at the right time. You can also get the other fiancees with this, causing them to abandon him and go off on trysts with whoever else has been affected."

Cyprine looked a little nervous, especially as she had *not* disappeared with the others nor restored to movement. And she was about to pass out from not being able to breathe.

"Allow me to demonstrate," said the Wizard, opening Cyprine's mouth and squeezing a squirt of substance within. Then unfreezing the girl so she could breathe and swallow.

Cyprine swallowed as she gasped for air. "Please... I didn't mean to..."

Cyprine vanished.

"Where did you send her?" Eudial was getting even more nervous, and a few minutes ago she would have sworn that wasn't possible.

"To my room. She'll be able to prove her loyalty to me later." The Wizard shrugged. "If I'd known where the Mage was, I might have blanked her memory of this location and sent her there where she could annoy the other side for awhile. Pity."

------

Currently the Mage was doing many things. Though only one of him was in the scenario, still dodging recall attempts by Celeste.

The other two were being watched by Jared's fiancee brigade, who were quite aware of his desire to move back into the simulation. Not that they were inclined to let him, considering that he himself had wanted to keep out of it earlier.

Celeste's reaction had been a little less kind. "One more attempt like that, I'm slapping the Reset and Grey can try playing out this damn Labor in the Pokegirl setting!"

Jared paled. Both of him. "That's the one where... ugh."

Jared #2 agreed with a shudder. "That's a bit extreme, don't you think?"

"Well, it would get him to choose one. And darn rapidly too." Celeste's sense of humor had begun to fray two hours ago. There wasn't much left.

Toltiir had gone off to do something at Mimir's Well, put off by things getting too serious for his tastes. Amaterasu had excused herself after making *her* interference, and Urd was obviously ready to follow Ama's suit if the Mage wasn't ejected soon. Not to mention Elistraee. Or Aphrodite, Freya, etc.

Though the presence of Aiki, goddess of inter-racial liasons (primarily elf+human), was a little concerning. Particularly for Jared. Nobody was sure who *she* was rooting for. Or how many.

If this impasse was still in place when the Elder of Mischief returned, Celeste didn't doubt for a moment that something ridiculous would happen. Such as those asteroids being turned to lemon meringue moments before impact.

Not that that would make an appreciable difference to anyone at an impact point.

Jared should have known better. "You wouldn't really do that, would you?"

Celeste clicked a button. On one of the screens popped up a countdown. [0:30:00]

"Guess she would," said Jared #2.

"Uhm, who all is real in that simulation anyway? They all seemed pretty real while I was in there." Jared #1 asked, curious and anxious to change subjects.

"They're Turing-capable AIs. I spent a long time constructing the scenario, then wrote a program that designed and built the semi-independent AIs based on what data I was able to provide about common SM branch timelines." Celeste didn't look up from hammering buttons as she continued to try and catch the final Chibi Jared. "If you could tell that it was just a semi-independent simulcra, then it would fail the purpose."

"As for who's real, sugah. Four are dark elves rescued in the last Labor durin' that bit with that El Vis fella. Like everyone but that Wizard fella, they only remember their roles for this, as if they had grown up under the circumstances. They're stuck in roles real similar to what they were in their real lives. One's Kumori Mizuno, Ami's mom. Her daughter's in the role of Sakura Shinguchi, that samurai gal. Eudial's a third, not a nice gal to be sure. The fourth is that there little drummer gal: Maya Tono. Morrigan, most of the Senshi, Nuku, Honey, and your own favorite are also real. She's comin' up too." Edema finished weaving a barrier spell around the control room. Then had to step back from it herself as it was a Protection From Elves 10' Radius.

"Most of the Scouts? I mean, Senshi?" Jared #1 looked over the spell critically. Though he hadn't *known* there was a spell like that, he could immediately see that there were those who'd pay big bucks for semi-permanent versions. Dwarves, for example.

Celeste's voice was distracted as she tried rotating a set of recall lights through an elaborate chase pattern. "The only ones not real of that crowd are Uranus and Neptune, Luna and Artemis, Usagi and Mamoru. Oh, and the spare Setsuna."

Jared and Jared looked at each other. "USAGI'S FAKE?!"

"So it's a fake crystal too," mused Jared #1. "How can they possibly stand against an all powerful wizard without her?"

"Sugar, the boy's not all powerful or all knowin'." Edema dropped to knee level so she could talk eye-to-eye with one of the Chibi-Jareds. "If he'd researched Sailor Moon or the attendent timelines very well, he'd likely have taken out Sailor Moon and Sailor Pluto before revealin' hisself. He's also a specialist transmuter, like myself. Ah seen the weave of his magic, and Ah can tell. Y'all know that limits him. He can do summonin' so that means he can't do evocation. Thinkin' it's likely he has a few items stashed that he's gettin' power from as well. He's also constrained by his nature, y'see. Being one of those Spells R Us wizard-types, he's really practiced at turnin' all sorts of fellas into oversexed strumpets, or folks to animals and the like, but not nearly the sort of broad-scale thing he's doin' now. Now when you gunna get yourself using that scroll Ah brought you?"

Both Jared winced before Jared #2 explained. "Well... it'll have to be when all three of us are together again. Splitting into three has likewise divided our skill levels."

"So y'all ought to get busy askin' which of your fiancees is gonna be willin' to part with those Aspects that were originally part of Grey's friends." Edema shook her head. "The spells high level, requires a willin' target too - so any doubt on the part of the gal you're castin' it on will foul it up. It also don't manifest no physical body, so's they gonna have to re-merge with one of them in that simulation."

Jared #1 sighed. "We'd rather fight Invid."

Jared #2 nodded sadly. "And we can still hope for Project Payback if this doesn't work."

Jared #1 clapped his hands. "Okay, let's go to the Well. We've got plans to make."

---------

"Shard-san, I realize you are not Japanese and you are unfamiliar with our customs, but you should not say such things!" Ami was a bit unhappy. Also a bit out of breath from running up the steps.

"i'm sorry," said Grey, feeling kind of funny being the center of so much hostility. Nor did he completely understand the reason for it. However he *was* getting lots of practice with various phrases used to apologize with.

"This is very strange," confessed Luna. That so many of the girls present took a talking cat in stride merely proved how strange it was. Only Tono-san seemed to break off whatever she was doing to stare every time a cat spoke up.

Artemis likewise frowned, though he thought there was something *very* interesting about this Nuku Nuku girl.

Minako noticed Artemis staring again at that Atsuko girl and slapped the cat.

"Uhm, bad time maybe. But oh heck." Grey took a breath and tried again. "-Does everyone speak English to some extent? Besides Rei, Makoto, and Usagi?-"

Nuku looked blank. Honey and Morrigan nodded. Tono-san held finger and thumb close together.

Setsuna was suddenly older and holding her staff. "The Garnet Orb can be used to erect a translation field."

"-Oh good. Uhm, Setsuna-chan, how come you're younger sometimes?-"

"I manipulated the timestream. Normally a version of myself would be born in the future, after my current self died fighting the Death Busters. When the timestream changed, that event was lost. While things were still in flux, I arranged for that future version of myself to be born earlier. Now I'm trading off with myself so that one version of me is fulfilling duty by guarding the Gate Of Time. The other version can spend time with you. Though if you were to come visit the Gate Of Time, both of us could spend time with you..." Setsuna shrugged. If she wasn't entitled, who was?

Everyone looked from Sailor Pluto to Grey and back again.

"Okay, this is seriously weird," summed up Morrigan. "And from *me* that means something."

"-Okay, well, this is probably the wrong time, but Chiba-san has arranged for us to go to a party up at the hill manor.-"

"PARTY!" Several teenage girls were at least momentarily cheered by the prospect.

"-Yes, well, it's primarily attended by international students. And Puu-chan carrying her staff would be a bit much. So if everyone could brush up on their English skills? And not wear swimsuits or school uniforms. It's kind of formal.-" Grey looked over at where Maya Tono was getting Sailor Moon's autograph and smiled. Nice to see everyone getting along. Well, mostly. Rei had had to excuse herself or she would have slapped a few spirit wards on Morrigan. Something about professional instincts. Sailor Moon/Usagi was running around welcoming new friends and allies and gushing about how much fun they'd all have.

Morrigan had looked *distinctly* uncomfortable being hugged by Usagi and getting the dreaded Puppy Dog Eyes Attack.

"How come everyone knows our secret identities?" wailed Luna, who hadn't stopped griping since this quick meeting had been called. And Honey, Nuku, and Morrigan had shown up wearing fake Sailor Fuku. (gold, lavender, and black trim respectively - though normally a seifuku didn't have cleavage like Morrigan's did.)

"I didn't," pointed out Maya. (Who hadn't had a seifuku and so wore her taiko drumming outfit. "oooh! Sailor Pluto-sama, can I get your autograph for my collection? That key-staff thing is *so* neat, do you know any staff based martial arts?"

"It's probably not known below a certain level. One of those 'black bureau' types - they suspect your identities but aren't 100% sure. Or at least weren't until the interview with Sailor Moon." Honey shrugged. "It's their business to know things."

"Eh?" Usagi froze. "I was interviewed?"

Hotaru shrugged when Maya started asking her questions. She had no idea if she was a Senshi or not. She could heal minor wounds though.

"-So, in two nights we've got that party to go to,-" Grey pointed out. "-I think Chiba-san can finagle extra invites so everyone can go. Uhm. Now does someone want to explain this date contest thing to me?-"

"Excuse me, but the reason that Nuku and I wore these was to get the prelimaries over and bring *this* to your attention." Honey held up a small envelope, then handed it to Ami who quickly opened it.

Ami looked at the ticket in her hand, unable to believe it.

"What are ya staring at, Ami?" Usagi asked, concerned at the look in her friend's eyes.

Luna leapt up to a vantage point but couldn't quite read the slip of paper.

Setsuna paled for some odd reason when she saw the ticket.

Morrigan leaned against a wall and waved her own ticket while Ami continued to stare at Honey's. "That's why I wore a Sailor costume myself. So do you see now why I wanted to attend? Though I've had my fill of formal events so maybe not."

"What is it?" Rei demanded, coming out of the kitchen drying her hands, only to see Usagi scarfing a bag of chips and launching into the standard arguments.

Ami interrupted by reading aloud.

"Queen Serenity requests your presence,
at Juuban Civic Center's main auditorium,
In a ball to welcome Earth's salvation,
And unite our forces once again."

She paused to read the fine print.

"Due to the events of the last Queen's Masquerade, this will not be a masquerade. Formal wear required. Bring weapons, just in case." Ami looked up from the ticket. "It's for tomorrow night."

"THE QUEEN!!?" Luna's fur poofed out. "b-b-but..."

Usagi dropped plans to get Rei and Nebula together. Obviously her goal should be getting her Silver Millenium Mommy & Daddy together again.

A sad, hurt, look passed unnoticed over Setsuna's face.

"but... THE QUEEN!! Oh, Serenity..." Luna sobbed something unintelligible.

Morrigan happily waved a booklet. "Are you curious enough to read the program?"

She was mobbed.

Grey merely rolled his eyes, shouldering the pain and relief from Nebula. He suspected that he'd end up working security in this gig. Figured.

--------

There was a thing called Mutual Assured Destruction. Some thought it merely a recent concept that referred to nuclear weapon proliferation, but actually the concept has been around ever since there were two tribes of cave-dwellers that didn't like each other but came to the realization that a fight between them wouldn't leave enough of either tribe to survive.

Some people or peoples knew of the concept, and either didn't care or fooled themselves into thinking it didn't apply to them. They usually ended up wiping themselves out with those very neighbors.

Those who came from fantasy realms with dragons and wizards and elves and magic were often familiar with the concept as well. As well as something attributed to an old wizard named Le Quon Murphy: "The problem with any Doomsday or Ultimate Weapon is that eventually it gets used and proves that it was aptly named." Or the corollary: "The real problem with a Doomsday Weapon is that conquering the nation next door with it leaves you with less resources than when you started."

Which was one of the problems that the Wizard was facing right now. He was facing a mortal enemy, one of the "good guys" (though the Wizard's own standards of good and evil were decidedly different from the Mage's), whose power outstripped his own except for the very narrow specialty of tranmutative cursed items. He could summon something sufficient to destroy the Mage entirely. The Mage had inserted himself into this simulation, and could thus be attacked. The problem was that the Wizard had counted on the Mage honoring an earlier commitment about non-interference and had never actually said that he would *not* interfere.

So, he was stuck with this scenario being:
a) cut short by a meteor strike just as it stabilized into a real timeline, summoned by the Mage earlier. While the vast majority of characters in this scenario did *not* know about the black meteors streaking towards Earth, a number of psychics, mages, and the like *were* getting feelings of looming doom from the constellation of Sagittarius.
b) cut short by the Mage running about cutting into his plans, and (likely if the Mage ever figured out where he was and which one was the real him) cutting into certain Wizards as well,
c) cut short by Celeste, who had just activated a timer that would reboot the whole thing, and there was no telling how things would be reconstructed even if they were. The Wizard frankly did not think his chances were good that he'd know the new scenario better than he knew this one, and he *did* wish that he'd watched more than three episodes of Sailor Moon S (Episodes 90,91,92 - and he'd mainly fast forwarded through them.)
d) thrown completely out of control by him dropping the various summoned monster, shattering the Eggs Of Daimon, and putting together something very much like the Dragonball Z villain Majin Buu. While this *might* be sufficient to slay the Mage, either the fight or the villain thereafter would likely destroy the world he was trying to rule.
e) cut short by him just giving up and going after an easier target. Such as finding a Star Wars timeline and supplanting the Emperor. Except that the Mage might follow him or otherwise continue to plague his attempts to have a world he could rule over and then retire to the sort of life other wizards could only envy. He'd already sent the other him out of this simulation, but they could rejoin if he succeeded, so this might not be necessary.
f) a war of escalation. When this timeline became real, this would be a problem as he didn't have *nearly* the resources of the Mage. Right now, it was just shadow images within a VR construct. Much easier. The problem with that is that it eventually led to the aforementioned Doomsday Weapons and the like.
g) The Virtual Beast. Something so diabolical that it should bypass the defenses of Mage or Senshi, not killing them, but neutralizing them instead. Problem was that the energy flowing into the Beast's cage wasn't high enough. Within the scenario's elements, the only way he could bring the Beast to fruition quicker was a massive amount of deaths occurring nearby. While not terribly concerning on a personal basis, these things had a tendency to escalate.

The Wizard considered. Then realized that, in his distraction, he'd sent Cyprine to entirely the wrong location.

Oh well, she was no longer his concern. He'd track her down and cure her later. Maybe. But at least he knew exactly what to do about Kaolinite.

---------

Cyprine, one of the Witches 5, who had the ability to seperate into twin halves- Cyprine and Puchirol - was currently not as calm and collected as she'd like to be.

Okay, she had felt as if her identity was dissolving into black fog, and she wasn't an idiot. She'd *heard* exactly what was going on from the description of that potion she'd been forced to drink.

"Ranmaaa! What are you doing lying there when...?! Oh sorry, you're not Ranma."

Cyprine, the ruthless, vicious, mean-tempered, self-styled best Witch of the Witches 5, looked up. Horror giving way to wonder in a moment.

It was the most magnificent figure of a man she'd ever seen. His martial arts gi was old and worn, beaten by the elements. He was slightly chubby, but his little Buddha belly merely provided contrast to the rest of his perfectly tuned body- a Greek god made manifest. He wore a bandana over his obviously pristinely bald clean head, and wore glasses that framed his piggy little eyes in a perfect fashion.

Genma was completely taken by surprise as some girl wrapped herself around him.

As he was repeatedly being smooched, Genma could only protest about his already being married.

Well, that and smirk about him still having the "old Saotome charm."

------

"Plu... Setsuna-san?" Usagi bit her lip at seeing the woman put a deliberately calm face and straightened up.

"Sorry, I'm not used to being around other people," said the older woman, visibly getting herself under control.

Usagi considered for a few moments. "You knew my Momma - Queen Serenity, right?"

"Yes, I served under the original Queen Serenity. Unlike my future self, who will serve under Neo-Queen Serenity." Setsuna frowned ever so slightly. "It was she who decided my training was sufficient for the honor of guarding the Time Gate."

Usagi had a feeling there was a *lot* being left unsaid on that, but wasn't sure what. Maybe Setsuna had an upset stomach? She kept looking as if something hurt her. "Oh well, can you help me get my Silver Millenium Mommy and Daddy together?"

Setsuna was not generally one to facefault. This qualified for such a rare occurance.

"It would be sooooo romantic!" Usagi gushed. "I mean its not as if anyone else wants him. I never would have thought that about Ami and Makoto. My goodness! I hope nobody thinks that about me and Rei-chan. Hahahahaha. Anyway, do you know anyway I can get the Queen and her Consort together again, and... Setsuna-san? Why are you lying on the ground?"

Setsuna stopped twitching in order to focus a particularly upset look in her Princess' direction. "You don't actually have a clue, do you?"

"Eh?" Usagi managed as Setsuna got back up. "Uhm, did I miss something? Setsuna-san, you're going get a headache if you keep beating your head against that wall..."

------

Grey wondered why the Chain seemed to want to point at the sky the moment he started a "Search For Danger" routine. As a result of that and similar problems, he'd had to banish it for now and forego the translation effect.

"And here we have the representitive from clan Tendo, a branch of it, I'm told, but they were the first here." Rei indicated someone very bishonen at first glance.

"Haruka Ten'ou," said the very tomboyish girl. "So you're this 'Greylle' person I've heard so much about."

There was a moment of crushing grip, but then it was less so before Grey could return it properly. "Yes. Sorry. Japanese not goodly. You friend is not other fiancee is she?"

"Michiru Kaioh," introduced the more outwardly feminine of the two with a slight bow. "I am merely here as Haruka's friend." Both Ten'ou and Kaioh smiled at the obvious relief of the American.

"Good, uhm, this is enough mess," said Grey, stumbling over the words. "No offense please."

"We've already started turning people away," Rei said, and then followed in very quick Japanese because she knew the boy couldn't make much out of it. "Not many, thank goodness. Though a lot of people were tuning in to that news report. Since he just became quite wealthy, it seems some have come here attracted simply to that. He doesn't know himself yet, and Ami feels that if he *did* learn about it, he would actually become more paranoid - feeling that he was pursued only for money."

"I can see how that would work," agreed Michiru, "though keeping secrets from him is not conducive to further trust."

Rei switched back to a level of Japanese she felt Shard-san could follow. "And over here is the matriarch of Clan Saotome, who informs us that there is no daughter of her clan for you to marry, so that's another one down."

"Ah, thank you very much, Saotome-san." Grey smiled at the woman. "While sure am i that your daughters would be a treasure, my head over am i."

Nodoka bowed, then went to go admire that Shinguichi girl's katana. Besides, she'd heard some girl claiming to be a Saotome had shown up and she wanted to confront the little money-hungry tramp that sought to drag HER family's name into the ground. Besides, she had an appointment with some girl named Kuonji later regarding her son.

"By keeping it to one member of one family, and those with ties of honor or to this prophesy, we're keeping it from becoming a complete circus," Rei said to Haruka, hoping it was true.

Grey nodded, trying NOT to think about Queen Serenity or what effect HER presence would cause. "Not that many interested. i just young gaijin, yes?"

"So," Haruka said, looking at a nearby board. "That's the competition?"

The board was a chalkboard, scrawled with names. As they were in Japanese, and perfectly legible kanji, it took everyone a moment to realize that Grey was trying to figure them out.

"This mean 'water'?" Grey pointed to the kanji. "And this is the letter 'no' so - Ami? What these numbers mean?"

Rei opened her mouth, trying to figure out how to politely say that it was odds being set by one of the local girls - a Nanami Jinnai who was apparently covering this for her school paper.

"It's a Shinto thing, relating to the religion. As an outsider you wouldn't be expected to understand," smoothly lied Haruka.

"Ah," said Grey. He wasn't sure if he believed the crossdresser, there was something awfully smug about the girl. Not to mention he was getting a danger sense reading off of her and the green haired girl.

"Kisaragi Honey," pointed out Rei to the befuddled fellow. "In Japanese, remember first name given is family name. If we were writing this in English it would be reversed. Aino Minako. Natsume Nuku Nuku Atsuko, Kino Makoto, Tono Maya, Meiou Setsuna, Tendo Haruka. Sorry, Haruka. I'll get them to correct that later. Ukyo Kuonji was of the Katsuragi clan, and she's left - apparently her honor is more personally involved with the son of Saotome. As for the Shinobi clan, we just have the names Ayane and Kasumi. We don't even have a clan name, they're being very secretive."

"How very like ninja," murmurred Michiru.

"They've included a couple of other names here because they insisted, but it's nothing really." Rei shrugged. "Hotaru considers you her sempai, and Morrigan Aenslad - I'm not too sure what to make of her (other than a bonfire)."

"Well, then. What's this about a dating contest?" Haruka smirked again from the way the American scowled at the phrase. That was *one* he obviously had learned.

"Not counting the two nights he's already scheduled something for, each of the fiancees gets one date with him to determine if there's anything even possible between them," Rei explained. "It was something Setsuna-san came up with. No interference from any of the others, and it's otherwise completely left up to the girl in question what they're going to do, as long as its just a date."

"Two scheduled nights?" Michiru raised an eyebrow, elegantly, of course. "The Concert tomorrow, perhaps?"

"Yeah, that's one." Rei had no idea why Shard-san shuddered at the mention of it. "The other is some get together over at the manor."

"Saturday, Edwards' manor," Michiru smoothly put in, nodding. "I should have guessed that as a foreign student here that Shard-san would have been invited."

"Yeah, I... HEY!" Rei yelled at where Nanami was writing extra names up on the board. "I am NOT a fiancee! Get my name off there!"

"Excuse please," Grey said to the two remaining. "Really need find Ami. Think she plenty mad. Sorry."

"Well?" Michiru asked after the boy was out of earshot.

"A date, eh? Well, that would definitely serve to get him alone." Haruka considered. "Though maybe we ought to spy on him when he's out on those other dates, just in case he gets attacked."

"Or he's out with someone weak that could be ignored as a bodyguard?" Michiru considered. "Innocent lives might be endangered."

"You said yourself that the winds surround him. If he's the crux of the danger, then no matter what, he must be taken out. Oh, I meant..."

Michiru smirked at Haruka's unintentional double meaning despite the seriousness of their conversation. "We'll just have to bide our time otherwise."

Unnoticed was the addition of the name "Katsuragi Eudial" to the blackboard.

----------

Eudial, unlike most of the others present, was a bit older than a Japanese student. She'd been a teacher drawn to Mugen High School by its "innovate technical approach to education." Besides, the pay was good.

Then she, like most of the others, had run into Professor Tomoe and been recruited for the Deathbusters.

One of her former students, Mimette, had been drawn to the Professor's plan by virtue of being crazy. Eudial had originally been attracted to the strange combination of magic and technology. Until seeing it, Eudial had discounted magic as ridiculous children's fantasies. People who believed in magic were simply unable to deal with cold harsh reality, that had been her attitude.

Then she, like the others, had been dominated by the Darkness - the seeds of which lay in the vast majority of mortal souls. But for her, the impossible to resist lure had been her own scientific curiosity.

When the SRU Wizard had stepped in, he had cut their ties to Pharoah 90. Each of the Witches 5 had suddenly realized that they had been working towards world destruction - which would likely have included their own demises. He had left the corruption, but that was beginning to fray in a couple of cases. In Mimette's case, she had always been crazy but it hadn't always been a violent sort of crazy. In Eudial's case, she admitted she'd always been a little petty and vicious, and prone to forget the means as she tried to get to the ends.

Eudial had been picking apart the layers of corruption in her own mind, using the power from her love hotel energy tap to further clean out the muck. Not everyone was doing likewise. Villuy and Cyprine were as vain and arrogant as ever. Mimette was still buggier than a wasp nest. Kaolinite still had a mean streak a yard wide and a need to prove she could be the head, uhm, Witch. Terurun - she wasn't sure what was going on with Terurun. No help there.

Eudial watched the group milling about the shrine and wondered at this. Here were people touched by magic, though not by the evil version she was familiar with. There were samurai from ancient times, being interviewed by The History Channel from the look of it. There were young girls everywhere, and if Shard-san was as important as the Wizard indicated then Eudial would not be at all surprised if a couple of the Senshi were also present.

Eudial regarded working for the Wizard as riding the tiger. If he succeeded in conquering the world, would he share that power? Or would she end up like that shrine priestess had almost done? That girl had come within a hairsbreadth of becoming 'Bambi Hino' - a stripper in Roppongi. Only some outside interference had kept her from being altered, and her past backtracked to show that that had always been her fate.

Definitely not a career choice Eudial wanted for herself.

Unfortunately, an outright attack or simply trying to vanish were not going to work. A staged death, maybe. Or if...

Eudial reached into a pocket, touching the flask within. There might be another way to "accidently" remove herself from the Wizard's ranks and have it just appear to be poor luck on *her* part. But first she'd need to remove some of these others, so it looked like she was doing the Wizard's bidding. Who to hit first?

The member of Witches 5 looked over the crowd. Perfect.

---------

It had taken less than fifteen minutes for Grey to decide that avoiding Ami *was* something to put on his schedule. At least until she calmed down.

Ami hadn't been as obvious as that girl in that animated show he'd seen (ie: no suddenly producing a mallet and crushing him flat) but he could tell. Ami had been seriously upset with him.

Staying here: intolerable. Returning to the penthouse: unadvisable. (At least until he figured out *why* she was angry and how to make it up to her. Perhaps she hadn't been ready to make her relationship with Makoto public?)

The Chain could be used for a number of things. Shooting the Star Arrow up to the top of one of those red arch thingies, Grey then retracted it while holding on. Not silent, not fast, certainly not graceful, but effective. He climbed onto the top of the arch, only to find someone else already there.

"Morrigan, isn't it?"

"Yes." The succubus indicated the crowd. "Ah, wonderful isn't it? 'The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd' as it was once put. The teeming throng of humanity, each convinced that they are uniquely right in their course and method. Most would call me a monster, you know, despite that there are far more horrible monsters lurking in their own minds."

"Not the first time i've heard similar sentiment." Grey sat down on the edge of the arch, able to relax a little now that he didn't have people hovering nearby. There had also been an undercurrent of hostility both directed at him and directed at others around the shrine. "'Individuals can be intelligent, caring, and wise. A mob has none of these qualities.'"

Morrigan nodded. "There are times when I tire of humanity, am ready to return to Makai and forget this mortal existence. Then something new will pop up to interest me."

"Now what about this mess could interest you?"

Morrigan smiled, showing fangs in the process. "Oh, a convulted love triangle involving a 10,000 year old monarchy, perverted wizards, magical princesses facing an enemy who could flatten them like paper dolls if they managed to convince him they were a threat? For starters? Perhaps the Knight Of Duty himself?"

"Yeah right." Though Grey *did* examine Morrigan for a moment, wondering how much to believe. It was hard to take anyone with black wings completely at face value.

Morrigan seemed to sense his unease, and seated herself nearby but not too close. "Look over there on that torii. That's that Maya Tono girl."

"Same thing, you think? Uncomfortable with the attention? She seemed to handle it better earlier." Grey focussed on the dimly seen lump huddled many yards away. Unfortunately, nightvision was not one of his gifts.

"Part of my talents as a succubus is that I'm a natural empath," Morrigan stated. "Not mind reading, but being able to sense something of what others feel. That girl is confused. She's on completely unfamiliar ground, and knows that she's largely out of her depth here. As far as martial arts skills, she's a hobbyist, even though she's the only practitioner of her family's school of martial arts and its only heir. Her true love and devotion is the taiko."

"Ceremonial drums, right?" Grey tried to remember the girl. A fairly cute girl, he thought. Not that *that* was particularly outstanding in this current crowd. "So why are you including yourself as a member of this? From what you've said you're hundreds of years old, powerful, and pretty much used to getting anything you want. You also made a reference to being a Queen. i've had bad experiences with Queens."

"A Queen's first concern is for her kingdom. Before ANY personal consideration, before her own feelings or philosophies, her own likes or preferences, if she is to be an effective Queen, must come the effect on the Kingdom." Morrigan flipped out into midair, hovering effortlessly. "That's why I've never gone back. Endless meetings, court politics, courtesans who are either boring or treacherous, small talk, and the stress."

"Court life in Makai?"

"Ireland. Actually there's damn little difference between the two. Don't ever get into politics if you can help it, Grey-san. If they're not worms, they're snakes, if they're not either - they're nastier than most demons you'll meet." Morrigan gestured around the crowd. "Look at them, these mortals. They gather around because Great Things are happening, so they want to participate and feel great themselves. Except that most would rather watch from home, even if their own lives hang in the balance."

"i dunno," said Grey. "i'm just fifteen. In this life anyway. Nebula was a soldier, a court guard, and then a wandering knight. Sort of. And that was in a society 10,000 years ago. What the average Japanese thinks about all this, i ain't got a clue. Still, you've got to admit this isn't exactly a normal crowd. Right, Phobos? Deimos?"

"You talk to birds?" Morrigan shook her head, then got a better look at the ravens. "What are they?"

"The lucky twins. Phobos and Deimos." Grey put his arm out, letting the two birds land on them. "They were the handmaidens of a stuck-up Princess a lifetime ago. Very earthy and amusing pair, though. Nebula thought he recognized you two, you had dinner with him during that trip through Mars where he was showing Hematite the sites. Being ravens in this life must really suck."

"Beats being pigeons," cawed Phobos.

"It's really not so bad when you get used to it," agreed Deimos.

Grey merely looked at the two.

"Okay," Deimos said, ducking her head. "It sucks. At least we can be near our Princess."

"Who mainly treats you as her pet birds," pointed out Grey. "Even though she knows better by now."

"Hey, look at that!" Phobos rose up, flapping. If she was glad of an excuse to change the subject, well, there it was. "That girl looks *just* like Coral!"

Grey watched the two ravens flee the conversation. It was so hard to accept black winged folk as not dealing in hidden meanings.

---------

Nabiki Tendo sneezed as she turned away from the shrine, and watched two ravens circle overhead briefly before they roosted nearby to watch her. Serious creep factor.

As for the Shrine - they already had a Tendo present, though she was *sure* she'd gotten here before Akane.

Nabiki was so nervous about the ravens that tripped over some passed out girl with purple hair. "Drunk..."

The girl looked up, her eyes seeming to focus. "...airen..."

Nabiki looked disgusted. A Chinese girl passed out, drunk, near the Shrine. What was Tokyo coming to?

"W-w-w-wait, you name is?" The girl got up smoothly. "You is?"

"Nabiki Tendo."

The girl stared at Nabiki as if trying to engrave her image in memory. "...Nabiki Tendo..."

"Yes, and my time is valuable, so don't wapfhg?!" Nabiki found herself sharing lipspace with a *very* curvy young girl. Tired and completely shocked by this, not to mention being crushed by *very* strong arms, Nabiki fainted.

Eudial watched the girl she'd ambushed earlier go running off with the short haired girl, and nodded. The potion worked as advertised. Now she could go deal with the fiancees now that she knew what the effects were like.

--------

The Wizard stood ready. A nonmagical deadman's switch in his hand would set off nuclear landmines if he died, turning Tokyo into a barren crater. Undead from the Evil Dead (pervert skeletons, and therefore within the Wizard's preferred modus operandi) would emerge to slay anything that was left.

Ready to go out with a blaze of glory, the Wizard had his preperations completed.

Somewhere, a Mage finally zagged when he should have zigged and was sucked up in a column of pink light.

However, nobody told the Wizard until another night had passed jumping at shadows.

--------

In Nerima:

Akane fumed, her father and herself had been dismissed at the front door like day old bread. Not that she wanted to marry some foreigner anyway. He was still a *boy*! Though there had been just a little almost infinitesimal hope that this boy would turn out to be less a perverted jerk than the boys at school and less an obnoxious sexchanging idiot like Ranma. How *dare* he dismiss them after a casual glance!

Soun wailed. Now they'd never get that money. How sad! And his middle daughter was being fawned over by some Chinese girl. How scandalous! And Genma had some girl Nabiki's age fawning over HIM! How envious! Errr. How shameful! And Ranma was eyeing the Chinese girl and hiding a lot. How strange!

In Kagoshima:

"THAT'S IT! THAT IS ABSOLUTELY IT!" A pink haired girl yelled at her 'Guide' while bouncing a ball that looked like the head of a cat.

"But, I'm sure that this is the way to Azabu Juuban..." Ryoga stated, staring as the girl somehow magically altered her clothing.

"PINK SUGAR... HEART ATTACK!"

In Roppongi:

"Where is Bambi?! She's missed work for three days now!"

"Aw, c'mon, boss. She didn't have that much 'talent' anyway."

In Azabu Juuban:

Rei sneezed as she got help cleaning up. The reporters had been chased off premises. Things were winding down, and they now had a roster for the dating contest. How it would turn out, that was anyone's guess.

============

In Chapter 12, the last fiancee is introduced. Pluto makes a move. More enemies. More problems. Some resolutions.