Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ A wavering of the heart ❯ chapter 2 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 2

Back in Japan

Mamo-chan,
how are you? I'm doing okay but I miss you terribly. How is University? I hope that it's nice. Nothing much happening here. I might visit my aunt over the holidays but I'll let you know for love always,
Usako


"done!" exclaimed the excited blonde as she quickly clicked the send button. She grined with joy as it told her that her message had been sent!
"usagi-chan, Rei, Mina, Makoto, and Ami are here" a motherly voice called up from downstairs
"coming!" cried the 17yr old rushing out of her redecorated room and down the stairs.

"there you are usagi…" exclaimed Rei hearing a bang as Usagi crashed into something as she careened around a corner. "think you could get here with out breaking something for once?"
"Thanks for your concern, but I, unlike SOME people, was writing to my boy friend!"
"ohhhhh burn!" sniggered Minako
"Well, …. Well… errrr…. ODANGO, you're sooooooo annoying!" cried the raven haired beauty… starting one of their legendary tongue wars…as the rest of the group sighed, wondering if the pair would ever grow out of them.
"ok children, lets go" Makoto urged as she herded them out the door…..

The group piled into Rei's new car and slowly headed for the local mall, stopping every 2nd block due to Mina's cries of ,
"there on the left! Ohhhh he's sooooo HOT!" or " WAIT I need that guys number!"

Accompanied by Mako's wistful comment of "he looks just like my ex-boyfriend"
finally after about 20min's the girls reached the mall…

4 hours later and $500 poorer the girls trooped out. Somehow they managed to fit all there purchases and themselves into the car, and dropping Usagi off at home, they promised they'd pick her up the next day for a party…..

Usagi ran inside shouting
"I'm home!" stumbling up the stairs with her arms full of bags….
Dumping her purchases on the bed she whipped over to her computer and checked her mail… there it was an e-mail…..

Dear my Darling Usako,
I'm doing well, winter term exams coming up! I went to a party on Friday night… don't worry usako your still the only one for me…
If you come to town let me know ahead of time… so I can meet you at the airport…
all my love
Mamoru
p.s. my room mate thinks you are stunning


"Oh Mamo-chan!" sighed Usagi, as she reached over to her photo album. Longingly she flipped through the pictures drooling at the site of him.
"only two more weeks….."

USA

Mamoru, classes finished for the day, had decided to head over to the library to hit the books so to speak, and his first exam was only a week and a half away.

Once inside the library he grabbed himself a table by the window, laughing silently to himself as he recalled the site that he was usually faced with when he had to study. A mental image of his Usako with her lips turned slightly down in a pout as she stared up at him from underneath long golden lashes, filled his inner eye, and her warm if slightly whining voice filled his ears with the remembered sound of her begging him to go get a bite to eat with her before he shut her out in favour of his books.

"oh! Hi Darien, fancy seeing you here!" exclaimed Melanie popping out of seemingly no-where.
Darien's train of thoughts interrupted, he glanced up to see the girl from the party before him
"hi Melanie." He replied politely
"do you mind if I join you? My 1st exam is coming up next week, and…. Well I always like to sit near a window… besides I thought you could help me study?"
he nodded his head in response, getting back to his text book
They studied in companionable silence, Darien enjoying her quite company even as his thoughts strayed away from medical topics, to more personal ones: such as how was Usagi doing without him, had she gotten his e-mail? would she really come? He really hoped she would as it just wouldn't seem like Christmas with out her. He smiled then, as he remembered Christmas the previous year, seated at her kitchen table with her Dad glaring daggers at him. Melanie look up, wonderingly as he shook slightly in silent laughter,
"what's so funny?' she asked
startled Darien looked up at her and said,
"just thinking about my Usako" in Japanese
"um… come again?"
"oh, sorry… you just startled me…" he replied unwilling to tell her about Usagi for some reason…
"ok… hey could you help me?" she asked innocently …
"uh…ok"
"um… could you show me how to find my pulse… I can do it… but… I always have such trouble." Melanie pleaded glancing up at him from under her eyelashes
Darien felt his breath catch in his throat and his thoughts become confused… just that little gesture looked so like Usagi's.
'well, it wouldn't hurt…' he thought to himself, reaching across the table he took her hand in his feeling her soft warm skin. Melanie flushed a becoming pink, her eyes laughing. It was then that he knew it was all a ploy, to get his attention, but by that time he was under her spell, no longer careing as he helplessly stared at her soft pink lips and her shinning emerald eyes that seemed to see through him.
Darien took a deep breath trying to calm his raging hormones.

What's wrong with me? He thought as he failed miserably when he tried to conjure an image of Usagi to mind. The resulting mental picture ended up with Melanie's long black hair, Usagi's eyes, and a more mature figure like that of the girl across from him.
He shook his head to clear the image and tried again, with the same result.
"Did you find it?" her soft voice interrupted his thought…
"Huh? what was that?" he questioned
Melanie laughed, looking into his confused eyes, "my pulse silly!" she whispered.
"oh, yes… it's here" he replied placing his fingers in the appropriate spot on her wrist before he lifted his hand up to locate it at her neck. After finding it, Melanie began to search for his. Her cool, feather light touches sent shivers up his arm and caused his brain to practically short circuit, banishing all thoughts of everything but the here, and now.
Acting on instinct he placed his larger warm hand over her smaller one, gently helping her to locate the pulse at the base of his throat, looking down into her clear emerald eyes as she smiled up at him.
"WOAH! IS IT JUST ME OR IS IT GETTING HOT IN HERE!!" a voice interrupted them… instantly they dropped eachothers hands, each looking away from the other as twin blushes coloured their cheeks. Recouvering, Darien looked around for the source of the distraction, spotting his room mate standing at the doorway a giant grin spread from ear to ear. Darien burst out laughing at the site of Kevin's goofy expression. Expression tapering to one of severity Kevin warned,

"Watch out! Melanie, or he'll break your heart. He's already got a blonde diva back home."
Melanie just laughed mentally steeling herself for the battle ahead thinking, 'well, well, then I think this "diva" is going to have a little competition.'I'm not condidered a heart breaker for nothing… although' pausing, she glanced at Darien from underneath her lowered lids, 'I think with him, I could get serious' then she smiled sweetly up at Kevin and remarked…
"I don't think she'll have anything to worry about. Darien here was just showing me how to find his pulse."
Instantly Kevin felt his guard go up, and knew that there was more to Melanie than her sugar sweet exterior.