Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ All's Fair in Love and War ❯ Letters ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 5 ~ Letters



Selenity squeaked with excitement as she lay on her bed and opened the envelope, Kino's first letter to her. It had been six weeks since he had left, and she had waited anxiously for news from him. She knew he had arrived safely from dispatches that her mother received, but nothing personal yet. She felt almost giddy as she unfolded the pages and began to read.

Dear Tenshi,

I have been here only three days, and I already miss you and everyone else. The people here are kind, although a little more formal than I'm used to. That doesn't matter I suppose, maybe some of it will rub off on me. Father has made it clear that it would be very desirable for that to happen, although he has also told me numerous times not to come back being so formal that I don't even talk to him. Ahh well, I know he means well.

So, how is everyone? I trust that Jupiter and Hera will have arrived home from their honeymoon already by the time that you get this letter. Send them my greetings and best wishes. How is Helen? Is she any better than when I left? She still looked so sad and forlorn at the wedding. Instruct Paris to cheer her up, although I'm sure that he's already doing that on his own. He told me that they would have to come to some sort of arrangement since Helen is too young to take the throne of her kingdom, but then don't want to leave it vacant. You'll have to tell me how things are going there.

I suppose I should tell you how things are here. There really isn't much to tell, since I have scarce had a chance to explore at all. Since my arrival it has been one formal event after another, greetings, welcoming ceremonies, balls, and dinners, and so on. You would like the balls here. They dance for hours and it is seem as an insult if a woman is left without a dance partner if there are still available men. Wait, I should correct myself. There are certain areas where women who want to dance stand or sit. These ones have to be taken out. The ones who want to relax and socialize are not forced to dance. I'm sure that you would always be in one of these areas!

Selenity smiled, picturing the scenario in her mind. She continued reading.

Due to this I was forced on several occasions to ask ladies to dance. There was one in particular whom I kept running into, a woman with long red wavy hair and violet eyes. I swear that she was purposely waiting for me to ask her to dance each time, although I cannot fathom why.

The landscape here is quite similar to Mercury actually. Everything here is water and ice based, which means a cool climate all year round. I think that the warm spring and summer's of home and of your solar system are something I am really going to miss. The people are fairly used to the climate, and there are not so many trees, so the palace is not heated very much. I just hope that I brought enough clothing with me.

Anyhow, I really don't have much more to say than that. I'll write more when I have been here longer and there are more exciting things to tell. Send my greetings to everyone, and don't get into too much trouble!

With Love, Kino.

Selenity sighed, and read the letter again. It was short, but she didn't care. She was just happy that she had heard from him finally. She bounced off her bed and skipped over to her writing table, ready to write.

Dear Kino,

I received your letter today and I nearly jumped for joy. I've been anxious to hear from you, to see if you like it there. I'm happy to hear that you're at least finding it bearable. I probably won't talk to anyone before I finish writing this letter and sending it off, but I'm sure that everyone would send their greetings to you if I gave them a chance.

You were right, Jupiter and Hera did return from their honeymoon already. Being around them is horrible now. Honestly, I never thought that two people could be so mushy all the time! Anyway, they do seem happy. Jupiter is planning on throwing a ball soon, so that will give us a chance for some fun, although not as much dancing as the balls that you described. That would be nice, not having to worry about finding a dance partner.

Helen is doing better, although she is still in shock I think. Paris has been doing his best to comfort her and take care of her. Venus was visiting her planet for three weeks right now, and I'll be joining them tomorrow for the last week of Venus' visit. It should be fun. I just hope that we can get Helen to laugh and forget about her problems for a short while at least. We'll be coming back to the moon afterwards, and Helen will stay a week with me before she goes back to earth. Mercury and Paris should be here when Helen is as well, so that should prove to be interesting. Mars is out of the solar system at the moment on some trip with his father. I'm a little worried, since Mars mentioned that his father was planning an attack on some planet, so another war might be brewing. I wish that Ares wasn't so much into war!


She rambled on for another page and a half about the things that she had been doing, about some of the new horses that had just arrived, and so on.

Anyway, I should send this off now, since you probably have more than enough to read. Write back soon! I'm counting down the days until you come back and I can throw you into the river!

Luv Selenity.

She folded the papers and stuffed them into an envelope quickly, sealed it with red wax, and sent it off right away. She sighed as she gazed out at the sky, hoping that he would write back soon. In the meantime, she busied herself with packing for her trip to Venus the next day.
……………………… 230;…………………………& #8230;………………………… ;…

Twelve more weeks passed before Selenity received her next letter.

Dear Tenshi,

I'm glad to hear that you are finding ways to occupy your time without me. How was your visit with Venus and Helen, and then with Helen, Paris, and Mercury? I have no doubt that you all had fun. I've found a few ways to occupy my time here, although nothing terribly exciting. They have some of the most incredible sword masters here, so I've been learning how to wield the sword better. I suppose that doesn't seem overly interesting to you though.

I must admit that the balls here are plentiful. At least once a week a member of the nobility plans a ball. So far I've been invited to at least a half a dozen. It almost seems as though they have a schedule set in place, where so and so throws a ball this week of the year and so and so that week. Honestly, I have never met a nation of people who loved to dance so much! At least it's giving me a chance to practice.

Remember how in my last letter I told you about that woman that I danced with all night, the one with the long wavy hair and violet eyes? Now I now know her name, she is called Aminiha. She is older than I by about three years, and is a Queen. Imagine that Tenshi, I've been dancing with a Queen without knowing it! She's only visiting here though, and I have not had the chance to ask her where exactly she is from. She always tells me it's form some distant universe.

She read eagerly as Kino went on to describe some of his other new acquaintances.

That's enough for this letter. I hope that I didn't take you away from your busy schedule for too long. I'm also disappointed that I had to miss Jupiter's ball. I'm sure you found enough people to dance with, although as soon as I get back, you have to promise me your first dance at the first ball we attend together. I will dazzle you with my newly acquired dancing skills….ok, even I don't believe what I just wrote. I hope it made you smile at least. Until later, so long my Tenshi.

With love, Kino.

Selenity didn't hesitate to start writing back.

Dear Kino,

It was so nice to get another letter form you. It's been two months since I sent you my last one, so I suppose that I will have to wait another eight months to get your next letter. Ahh well, I will endure!

Helen is doing much better now. Her stay with Venus did her good, and she seems to be gaining back her cheerfulness. When she, Paris, and Mercury visited, we spent much of our time out horse-back riding. That reminds me, we had four new colts born just last week! They're little beauties, you would like them.

She went on to speak more about the stables and horses.

Mars' father has been in a war for five weeks now, and I have rarely heard from Mars. From what we know the war is favouring Ares, although mama isn't happy that he began a new war in the first place. Hopefully it will be over soon, and he'll be content for some time. I'm just glad that you're not in a war right now. I'm also happy to hear that you're making many new friends. Hopefully I will be able to meet some of them. I'm also glad that you're practicing your dancing skills, since I am promising you the first dance at the first ball as soon as you return. I would hate to have to dance with someone who has not danced in five years!

I hope that you find much to do in the following weeks, and I'm looking forward to your next letter.

With much luv, Selenity.

She sighed as she re-read her words. There were always so many little things that happened each day that she wanted to tell him about, but when she sat down to write, many of the things popped our of her head. She smiled as she sealed the letter and went to have it sent off. Thus it continued, Selenity and Kino sent each other letters. Sometimes there was nothing important in them, other times they discussed problems that were ailing them, and still other times just passed along the latest news.

Dear Kino,

Ares has won his war. He now has another planet under his control, and has left to survey it, leaving Mars behind. You would be amazed how much responsibility Mars is taking on, even though his father has left behind councillors to rule while he is gone. The war lasted 13 months, but Mars seems to have aged at least three years in that time. I just hope he doesn't take on too much.

Kino wrote back,

Don't worry about Mars Tenshi, he's strong, and knows what he's doing. I'm just happy to hear that the war is over and Mars didn't get hurt in battle. I'm somewhat surprised that it lasted as long as it did. I think that even Ares must have let out a sigh of relief when they finally surrendered. Please send my greetings to Mars when you see him.

Another time, it was much more joyful news all around when Selenity wrote to Kino.

Jupiter and Hera are expecting their first child! You should see them, they are so excited. It has been three years since they were married, which is good that they waited so long. It gave them a chance to really get used to one another. Jupiter thinks it's going to be a girl, but Hera is convinced it will be a boy. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Ares and Mars have embarked on another war, although this one is not as bad as the last one. This time they are actually going to help a planet that has been under tyrannical rule, so they want to help the people. Granted there are going to be benefits for them in the end. I'm not happy seeing Mars going into another war, but what can I do?

Kino was happy to hear the news.

I received a letter from Jupiter only the day before yours. I could almost see his smile as I read the words. I can understand why you mentioned that they were excited. They will both be happy whether it is a boy or girl, that much I know. I only wish I could be there to see the child when it is born, to see Jupiter now.

As for your concerns with Mars, it's good that you worry about him, but keep in mind that his father has ruled for many many years and would not subject his son to unnecessary danger. I don't like the idea of him going into another war either, but we can't really do anything about it. Just be a supportive friend, but get angry with him if it looks like he is going into something foolish.

Animiha has come back to visit, and I've been able to talk to her some more. I finally found out she is the Negavers, some distant universe that neither out galaxy nor yours has any ties with. Father wants me to discuss some treaties with her so that we can expand out allies. I feel bad for her, her husband was killed about two years ago, soon after she returned home from when I met her first. Who knows, perhaps even your mother would like to discuss some treaties with her. It's rare to meet someone from so far away.

Selenity was 15 when she read Kino's words about the Queen, and for the first time in her life, felt a stab of jealousy that she could not explain. She put it aside though. A year later, more good news came along.

Dear Kino,

I have so much to tell you I hardly know where to start. First off, Hera and Jupiter had their child a week after I sent you my last letter. It was a boy, as Hera had thought. He is a strong baby, and I have a feeling he's going to be as big as Jupiter when he grows up. I can't wait for you to see him, you'll have to admit that he looks just like his father.

Secondly, Paris and Helen have finally announced their engagement. Personally I think it took them long enough, but they finally decided to get married. I don't think they have spent more than a full month apart since their two kingdoms were joined three years ago with the prospect that the two would someday be married, or else Helen's kingdom would be handed back to her when she turned 18. I'm happy for them, they seem so much in love. I should also mention that love seems to be blooming between two of our other friends, Mercury and Venus. They have been spending an awful lot of time with one another, although neither seems to be willing to take the first step.

Kino wrote his next letter six weeks later.

Dear Tenshi,

I might already be back by the time that you receive this letter, if we encounter no problems along the way, so I'll keep this short. I'm coming home! I'll admit that I am sad to leave since I have met many people and made many friends, but none of that compares to coming home again. Hopefully you have not forgotten what I look like, and you won't ignore me for a few weeks for being gone so long. I actually don't have much more to say, since the only thing on my mind right now is getting back and see everyone, and seeing you. I can't believe that you're already seventeen, the age I was when I left. I keep picturing you as a small twelve year old girl, but I guess you don't look the same anymore.

Anyhow, I won't write anymore than this, since I want to tell you everything else when I see you. We'll be leaving at the beginning of next week, so this letter may or may not reach you before me. Either way, I'll be seeing you soon.

With much love, Kino.

Selenity read these words again and again. Kino was not back yet, but they were expecting him soon. He had already reached his home, and he was now on his way to visit the moon kingdom. They would all be there tomorrow night, and Selenity could not wait. She clutched the letter to her chest as she rolled onto her back on her bed. Tomorrow she would see Kino again at the ball her mother had planned. Jupiter, Mercury, Venus, Paris, Helen, Mars, all of them would be there tomorrow. Things would go back to the way they always had been. Or so Selenity thought.

*****
~Disclaimer~
I do not own the rights to Sailormoon. That honour belongs to Naoko Takeuchi, and I am simply a lowly author who can use her characters for my plots.