Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Alternate Destiny ❯ New Home, New Friends ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Part 2-New Home, New Friends
*******
"Attention all passengers. Flight 168 from Tokyo, Japan to Napa, California is now preparing to land. We thank you for flying Kaioh airlines."

Serena snapped her seatbelt on as she felt the plane begin to desend and quickly put her book back in her small blue travel bag.

When they hit the ground, she quickly got into the asle. Because of her quick movements, she was one of the first people off the plane. Serena quickly looked around for her Uncle Byron and Aunt Melody.

"Serena! Serena Angelica Tuskino!"

Whirling around at the familiar voice, she saw a man with brown hair that had a few gray hairs at his ears and blue eyes, and beside him was a woman with aqua hair and silver eyes. They were both holding their arms out to her.

Tears forming in her eyes, Serena screamed as she dashed to them, "Aunty Melody, Uncle Byron!!!" She quickly hurled herself into their arms.

The older couple looked down at their favorite niece. On the outside, Serena seemed to be the same as she was when they'd come to visit about a year ago. Still, when they had seen her blue eyes, which had once sparkled with the innocence of a fifteen year old girl, now held someone who had grown up inside. Kind of like a woman trapped inside a girls body.

Pulling away slightly, Melody asked, "How are you doing Little Angel? You seem different than the last time we saw you."

Smiling wryly, Serena replied, "I guess you could say that many things can happen in a year."

Knowing that when Serena used that tone of voice they'd get no more out of her, Byron said, "Harmony really wanted to meet you today, but she had school, so you'll see her when she gets home. We should go get your bags and get home. We just finished decorating your room back at Serenity Vineyards."

Startled at the name, Serena gave him a glance, but quickly moved to go get her bags. Since everything else had been sent ahead, she only had her small traveling bag and two suitcases. They moved out of the airport, got into a red Cherokee and drove off.

Serena asked them many questions on the way to Serenity Vineyards, such as how the place got that particular name.

Chuckling, Melody told her, "Well, your mom and I grew up hearing a legend about a kingdom on the Moon. The people there were the guardians of earth and they were guided by a Queen named Serenity, and her daughter, who was also named Serenity. When she was 18, Princess Serenity fell in love with the Crown Prince of Earth, Endymion. They planned to marry, but an evil enemy called the Negaverse attacked the Moon and destroyed the kingdom. Prince Endymion, Princess Serenity, and their eight guardians were all killed. Using the last of her strength, Queen Serenity sent her daughter, love, and friends all to the future to live new lives. No one is sure when that was supposed to happen. Your mom and I adored that story when we were kids. Did she ever tell it to you?"

Smiling faintly, Serena whispered, "Kind of." 'If you only knew,' she added silently.

Any more conversation that might have come was cut off when they pulled into the driveway to Serenity Vineyards. The view was, humbling, to say the least. Row after row of grape vines lined both sides of the driveway, which was up on a hill.

Byron, Melody, and Serena finally arrived at the house. It was huge. The front door was an oval shaped like the doors of castles. Above it was a balcony that that was shapped by blue curtains. Along the second floor on both sides of the door were several other balcony's all smaller than the one above the door. The house had been painted in a tasteful tan.

Serena just gaped. She knew that her aunt and uncle were wealthy from her uncle's vineyards and her aunt's paintings, but she'd never imagined anything like this! "Oh wow," breathed Serena.

Smiling at her niece, Melody asked, "Breathtaking isn't it?"

Nodding numbly, Serena got out of the car. Byron grabbed her bags and followed the women into the house.

They entered through the front door, which deposited them into a beautifully furnished family room. It had been done in Mexican style, which gave it a roughness and yet it was elegant as well. Melody then showed Serena all the other rooms on the first floor.

When they entered the sitting room, Melody showed her the patio outside and just beyond it.

Gasping, Serena said, "You have a pool!?!?!?!"

Grinning at her, Melody nodded. They then moved up the steps and headed for the fourth door on the right, Byron right behind them. Melody opened the door and with a flourishing bow, she gestured and said to Serena, "Your Highness, your humble abode awaits you."

Giggling, Serena entered the room. It was done in swirls of silver, backed by white furinishings. The bed had been backed into the far wall, covered in a silky comforter. Next to it was a door that led out onto her small balcony, which over looked the pool and everything beyond that for at least a half mile. On the wall to the right of the entrance was was a desk that had a plush chair, with a lamp and computer on the desk. The lampshade was done in stars and crescent moons, which would give her ceiling the look of a starry sky at night with all other lights off. On the wall to her left was a TV, a VCR, and a CD player, all on a entertainment center which still had room for pictures.

Turning to her aunt and uncle, she smiled and said, "I love it! This is so cool!"

Chuckling, Byron replied, "Well Rena, I'm glad you like it. We'll be downstairs if you need anything." With that, Byron and Melody left Serena to unpack.

Grinning, Serena tossed herself down on the bed, put her hands behind her head and for a moment, enjoyed the view of her new room.

**********

Harmony Nelson, age 14, burst into the door of her home, demanding to her surprised parents, "Where is she? Where's Serena?"

Except for a slight laugh, the two remained silent and only pointed up.

Dashing up the stairs, her aqua hair streaming behind her, she threw her bookbag into her room and pounded on the door to her cousin's room.

"Come in!"

Throwing the door opened, Harmony looked around for her cousin. Serena, who'd been unpacking for about three hours, was just putting the final picture on the entertainment center. She looked up to the person who was standing in the doorway gaping at her, and screamed in delight, "HARM!!!"

"REE!"

Shrieking, they flew into each others arms for a hug.

"Ahh! I can't believe you're finally here!!!! I've been waiting forever for this," Harmony gushed.

"Me too! I've missed you soooooooooooo much since Christmas! I don't know how I waited this long," squealed Serena.

Before they could fully settle down into gabbing, there was another knock on the door. Looking up, Serena called, "Come in."

The door opened to reveal Melody, who was smiling at the sight of the two sprawled over the bed, gossiping like the teenagers they were. "I hate to interrupt this," she told them, "But if you're hungry, dinners ready."

"FOOD!" The two girls thundered and tore out of the room, nearly knocking Melody off her feet. Looking after them, she just rolled her eyes and chuckled.

**********

Later that night, Harmony and Serena had talked about family, what life was like here, school *the horrors*, where all the good malls were. Finally, Harmony got up and looked at the pictures that sat on the entertainment center. Picking up two of them, she returned to the bed and asked, "Who are these people?"

Serena looked down at the pictures and her eyes filled with tears. One was of the girls and her. Lita was leaning against a tree, her arms crossed over her chest, grinning. Mina was standing in front of her, leaning down giving Serena bunny ears, while Raye and Amy sat back to back between Serena and Mina. The other...

The other was of her and Darien. Serena was in a pale lavender mini skirt and white frilly blouse, her arm up giving the peace sign. Darien stood behind her his arms drapped over her from behind. Their eyes were not looking at the camara, which was being taken by Raye, but on each other. He was looking down at her with such tenderness that it was humbling, and she was looking up at him with total and absolute adoration.

Harmony saw the tears welling in her cousins eyes and immediately wished she hadn't asked. Quickly, she skooted over and pulled Serena into her arms and let her cry. She'd expected a loud Serena-wail, but instead, all that came were quiet sobs that racked her body.

"Shh, Ree, its ok, its ok," Harmony soothed.

After a few minutes, Serena pulled away and wiped her tears from her face.

"I'm sorry Ree," Harmony said quickly, "I shouldn't have asked."

"No no, its ok. You didn't know. This one is my four best friends. The tall brunette is Lita Kino, the blonde with the red bow is Mina Aino, and black haired one with violet eyes is Raye Hino, and the one with blue hair is Amy Mizuno. They meant so much to me. The guy in this one is Darien Chiba, my... ex-boyfriend."

Eyes wide as saucers, Harmony asked, "Why'd you let him go?? He's GORGEOUS!!!"

Tears welling slightly, Serena answered, "He... broke up with me. He didn't even give me a reason. I loved him more than anyone else Harm. He was the brightest star in my sky. And he left me... and I have no idea why!!!!"

Looking at her sympathetically, Harmony started to say that she knew what Serena was going through when she realized that she didn't. Sure, she'd broken up with boyfriends, but both of them had always agreed that it wasn't working. One had never parted with the other without giving a reason.

Serena glanced over at the clock and saw that it was 10:24. "You know, I think I'm gonna sleep off this jet lag. I'll talk to you tomorrow."

"Ok, thats fine. You know, if you want, we could go into town tomorrow and you could meet my four best friends, Susan, Amara, Michelle, and Vicki. I've told them all about you and they really want to meet you. Wanna go?"

"Sure," Serena enthused, "I really want to have friends here."

"Great," Harmony replied, "I'll see ya in the morning." Harmony skipped out the door for her room and was gone.

Sighing, Serena took the two pictures and put them back on the entertainment center. She let her fingers linger on them. "Goodnight my friends, my love." Witht that, she turned out the light and went to sleep, ending her first day in Napa, California.

**********

The next evening, Serena reflected on the day she'd had with Harmony and her friends, who were now her friends... and guard. It was hard to believe...

*~*~*~*~*~

They'd arrived at the ice cream shop to meet with Susan, Vicki, Amara, and Michelle. When the four had walked in, Serena had been stuck by a strange feeling of deja vu, like she knew these people from somewhere, long ago...

She'd shaken off the feeling and thus had taken no notice of Michelle and Susan studying her sharply.

Shaking off the feeling of deja vu, Serena followed Harmony up to the four girls.

"Hey girls," Harmony said, smiling at her friends.

Tipping her head in acknowledgement, Amara answered, "Yo, wazzup 'Mony?"

"Fine."

Shyly, Vicki asked, "Who's your friend?"

Turning to her cousin, who was staying behind her in an unatural shyness, Harmony introduced her to everyone, "Serena, these goofballs," she paused to dodge a swipe from Amara, "Are my friends: Amara, Susan, Michelle, and Vicki. Goofballs, this is Serena, my cousin from Tokyo."

"Nice to meet you Serena," Susan said in a friendly tone.

"Greetings," Michelle said with a wink that belied the formal words.

Amara nodded to her with a slight smile.

"Hello," Vicki said smiling.

By just their greetings, Serena felt right at home with them. They sat down at the booth, ordered their ice cream and began to talk like they'd known each other for years.

Amara, age 17, was the daughter of divorced parents and lived with her father, and hadn't cared to see her mother since she was five. She was obviously fine with that. Her favorite instrument was the keyboard. Her blue eyes seemed to take in everything, almost looking for potential threats...

Michelle, age 16, was the daughter of wealthy parents and could play a variety of instruments, such as the guitar and violin. She had sea green hair that seemed to float like it was under water and her matching eyes seemed to stare into your soul...

Vicki was the youngest of them all at age 14, sweet as pie and quiet as a mouse. Though slightly shy, she was extremely friendly.
Her favorite intrument was the flute, but she played the guitar, the violin, the piano, base, and many others. Still, there was something in her eyes, something emensely powerful...

Susan was the oldest at 20 and was on her way to being a fashion designer. She played the drums as a hobby, and seemed quite mysterious about almost everything. When you asked her something, she would give you this little smile that could be so damn frustrating...

All four of them, plus Harmony, so familiar to her...

Almost like she'd met them somewhere before...

*!*

After the ice cream parlor, the six friends had wondered into the nearby park. Harmony immediately saw some butterflies and, feeling like a little kid, ran off after them. The others just shook their heads and smiled.

It was then that Serena noticed Susan and Michelle studying her. She turned to them and asked playfully, "What? Do I have lipstick on my teeth or something?"

"No," answered Susan, "No you don't... Serenity."

Serena's head shot up. Shakily, she asked, "Wha... what are you talking about?"

Smiling gently, Michelle assured her, "Please, there is no cause to fear us, Princess, we are your friends. You knew us during the Silver Millennium. We were your guardians, along with the Inner Guard. I am Sailor Neptune."

"I'm Sailor Uranus," added Amara.

Susan continued, "I am Sailor Pluto."

Finally Vicki finished, "I am Sailor Saturn, leader of the Outer Guard." With that, all four knelt before her. They were hidden by bushes, so no one noticed the strange scene.

"Oh my god," Serena whispered, then continued, "Please don't kneel like that. You're my friends and I hate it when people do that!"

The four grinned at that. Their princess had not changed too much in the past thousand years. They rose.

"Susan," Serena said hesitantly, "Um, when I first saw you four, I knew you were familar somehow, but sitting there with you and Harmony made her seem familiar as well. Was she in the Silver Millennium as well?"

Smiling mysteriously, she only replied, "We shall see."

"Serena," Amara interrupted, "Why are you here in Napa? We've heard of Sailor Moon and the Sailor Scouts fighting evil over in Tokyo, so why are you here?"

Her face immediately grew sad. Slowly, she told them the story of what had happened back in Tokyo. By the time she'd finished, Amara looked ready to bash something and the others were seething mad.

"How dare they," Amara hissed as she paced back and forth, "How DARE they treat you in such a way! Have they really changed that much?! They never would have treated you that way back in the Silver Millennium!!!!"

Laying a calming hand on her friends arm, Serena replied only, "Things change."

"But still," Michelle argued, "After all you've done for them, they have to be eternally ungrateful to do something as terrible as this."

"I agree. All five of them were outcasts and terribly lonely. You gave them what they all craved, friendship and love. All they ever gave you in return was heartache," added Vicki darkly.

The conversation ended when Harmony returned. She was breathless and her hair was slightly out of wack, and she was exhausted. They got in Amara's car and drove back to Serenity Vineyards, where they would be staying the night.

*~*~*~*~*

Coming out of her reviere, Serena looked around the room. Amara was sprawled out in her navy blue sleeping bag, closest to the bedroom door. Michelle lay curled up against the wall nearby, Vicki and Harmony next to her. Susan was sleeping peacefully next to Serena's bed, her green hair stewn over her pillow.

Quietly, Serena stepped around her sleeping friends and went out onto the balcony. Sighing, she stared up at the sky. Since it was the middle of April, it was still slightly chilly at nights, but she hardly noticed it. Serena noticed four stars that seemed to surrounded the Moon were not shining as brightly as they normally did. In fact, they seemed to be growing dimmer.

"Serena?"

Whirling around, she found Susan looking at her from the door, a concerned look on her face. Motioning for her to join her, Serena turned back to the sky.

"Look Susan," she whispered, "Mercury, Mars, Venus, and Jupiter seem to be growing dimmer. Why is that I wonder?"

"Perhaps they are in mourning," Susan suggested softly, "Perhaps the planets know that their princesses have hurt their princess so deeply that they cannot help but withdrawl their light."

"Perhaps."

For a moment, both stood in easy silence. Then Serena spoke up again, "I will have to go back someday. Won't I?"

Susan only replied, "We must all face our past." Pausing, she shook herself and continued, "Come on back inside, we've got to get some sleep."

Giving the four dimming stars one last look, Serena walked back inside. Climbing into her bed, she pulled the blankets up. Susan sat on the edge and tucked her in like a mother would for her child. Moving a wisp of hair out of her face, Susan whispered a small lullaby.

"Sleep sweet princess
You're safe and sound.
For I am always here,
there is nothing to fear.
Safe in your bed
tucked in nice and tight
You'll sleep soundly
all through the starlit night.
Sleep sweet princess
There is nothing to fear.
For I am always here."

By the time Susan had finished, Serena was fast asleep with a content smile upon her face.

**********
End Part 2-New Home, New Friends