Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Awakening the Shadows ❯ Their Journey Begins ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Launch Pad/Caleria

~*~*~*~*~*~

" I hate these things, " Keridwen complained as she opened the door to her suspension chamber. Although the Calerian scientists had perfected intergalactic travel centuries ago, there was still a need to lock each individual into a separate glass pod that would protect them during the warp speed journey. They would all sleep peacefully for the extent of the one-week trip, sustained by intravenous nourishment.

" How can you complain? " asked Mayoko as she double-checked the back-up oxygen

systems. " This will be the first time in months I've gotten more than four hours of sleep at one time. It's almost like a mini-vacation. "

" Yeah, " Aria chimed in, "but without the pool and the dancing and the buffet style meals and..."

" You're not helping, " Nara cut her off with a grin as she observed the expression on Keridwen's face, " Oh, cheer up, Keri ! We're going to have a great time on...on uh. Where are we going again? "

" Earth! " Keridwen snapped, " It's called Earth. It doesn't even sound interesting. And if you ever...ever call me Keri again I'm leaving you there when we're through with the mission. " In an uncharacteristic display of immaturity Keridwen stuck her tongue out at the little redhead.

Everyone laughed, but it was obvious that even Keridwen was uncertain about the up-coming voyage. None of them had ever traveled outside of their own galaxy, and it was impossible to know what to expect.

Khamiya locked the last storage compartment then turned to the others. She looked at each of them quietly. Keridwen, though temperamental, was a loyal and courageous companion. Mayoko, a light-hearted young woman, emitted a natural warmth that could put anyone at ease. Fun loving and exuberant Nara was a red-haired bundle of energy and optimism. Sweet natured Aria was kind and compassionate, even if she acted a bit flaky at times. Finally, there was the youngest of the girls, Luriel. Despite her age, the priestess was wise beyond her years and every bit as mature as the older members of the group.

Khamiya took a deep breath and looked away. She wondered briefly how they viewed her. She knew that she was given to dramatic mood shifts and long periods of silence and solitude. What did they attribute it to? In dark moments could they see her secrets? Certainly they couldn't. She knew this deep inside, but her greatest fear, the one that haunted her every waking moment, was that they would someday find out. And if they did, if that fateful day ever came to pass, then she would lose everything in her life that mattered.

Luriel glanced at Khamiya out of the corner of her eye. She sensed a sudden shift in the atmosphere of the room and more often than not it meant that something was going on with Khamiya. That young woman was an enigma to the priestess, and she often wondered why she couldn't read her as she could the others. What made it more puzzling was the fact that they had practically been raised as sisters. It should have ensured a strong bond between them, but that was far from the case. Khamiya distanced herself from Luriel just as much, if not more, than the others.

Khamiya narrowed her eyes and turned to Luriel who quickly began to busy herself with the IV equipment. Just as she suspected. That little snoop was trying to read her thoughts again. It wasn't that she hated Luriel, or even disliked her, but the girl had those unusual Phamerian abilities that made her a constant threat. So far it seemed that Khamiya was immune to these psychic invasions, but she didn't know why or if it would last. Best not to take any chances.

One hand gripped the edge of a nearby counter as Khamiya felt her anger rising. She closed her eyes trying to steady herself, but the emotion seemed to have a mind of its own. Her body tensed as the rage intensified, and in the darkness behind her eyes she began to see images. They were terrible, haunting visions of blood and betrayal and faces that she remembered only from a far-off dream.

" Khamiya? "

Her eyes snapped open to see Mayoko standing before her. " Is everything alright? Are you ready to go? "

" I.." Khamiya glanced around and saw that the others were already in their suspension chambers. How long had she been standing there? " Everything is fine. Of course I'm ready, " she replied her voice trembling slightly.

Mayoko looked skeptical. The expression on Khamiya's face told that everything was far from all right, but Mayoko knew better than to question her further. " Well then, let's get going. "

With a slight nod Khamiya brushed past Mayoko and stepped into the glass pod. She pulled the door shut with a sigh. Taking the needle from its package she quickly set up her IV then curled into the padded bedding. The last thing she needed right now was a week of nightmares. Unfortunately, that would soon be the least of her worries.

Mayoko called to the remaining technician and informed her that they were ready to leave. She stepped into her own chamber and leaned back closing her eyes. The technician slipped the needle into her arm and taped it into place. 'This will all be over soon. This will all be over soon.' The sound of the lock snapping into place caught her attention. 'But not soon enough,' she thought before falling into a deep sleep.

Taraya rechecked the safety locks on all six chambers then glanced around the main enclosure of the shuttle. It was impossible to believe that the future of their galaxy rested in the hands of these teenagers. But the Dronian Galactic Council trusted Meokan's word, and the girls had proven themselves several times over the last two years. The woman took a photograph from her lab coat pocket, and as she looked at it a tear slipped down her cheek. " I've done all I can for you. I hope it's enough, " she whispered to the smiling toddler in the picture.

Pulling herself together the technician carefully returned the photo to her pocket and finished programming the final coordinates into the main computer. She pressed the button to activate the automatic launch sequence and moved to go. As she reached the door, she paused taking another lingering look at the Dronian warriors. They looked so young and vulnerable tucked away in the suspension pods, fast asleep. Once again she questioned this mission, but it was too late now to second-guess the decision. " Good luck. May the Gods be with you all. "

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

" Aria? Where are you? Where did you go? " Nara ran through the open field searching desperately for her friend, but it was useless. Nara couldn't figure it out. Aria had just been standing there with her, but when Nara asked her where they were, the other girl was gone. Vanished. Just like that.

Up ahead Luriel was kneeling in the grass and Mayoko was standing over her. " Hey, guys! Have you seen Aria? Did she come this way? "

Neither girl even bothered to look at her until she pulled up short beside them. Luriel and Mayoko both stared at her blankly without speaking. " Did you hear me? " she shouted and reached out to grab Luriel's shoulder. Nara was caught totally off guard when Mayoko grabbed her arm and tossed her aside. " What the hell are you doing? " Nara squealed as she hit the ground. This was insane! Why were her friends acting this way? She scrambled to her feet and spun around. The other two girls remained silent and still. Nara stopped and studied them closely from when she stood. Their eyes were both empty, lifeless and their faces pale as death.

Without warning two pairs of hands grabbed her from behind. Nara struggled kicking hard to escape her attackers, but nothing she did seemed to help. Dark laughter echoes in her head as she was dragged away. The sky grew dark as clouds gathered overhead, and an icy wind stung her face and hands. Nara screamed, but the cold air burned her lungs, and the sound was lost in the shrieking gale.

" You're nothing alone, kid, "scolded a familiar voice.

" You can't even help yourself, Nara. How can you help anyone else? " taunted a second.

" Keridwen? Khamiya? Why are you doing this? " Nara cried.

" You can't make it alone. You're worthless! Worthless..."

Nara screamed again and woke with a start. She was gasping for breath and her clothing was soaked with sweat. She hit the emergency release on the chamber door and stumbled into the center of the floor sobbing and shaking, completely oblivious to the pain as the IV tore from her arm. For a few long moments she laid there, trying to calm the terror that the nightmare had brought.

Finally she rose to her knees. They had already landed, but the others were still sound asleep. She stood slowly and walked to the control panel. She pushed a blue button and flipped a switch. According to the computer they had landed yesterday. It seemed odd that everyone was still slumbering. Shouldn't the pods have opened automatically when they reached their destination?

Nara shook her head and frowned as she felt something warm running down her arm. Blood. 'Of course! I just ripped a needle out of my arm.' Grabbing the first aid box from under the consul she proceeded to bandage the wound.

Once that was completed, she returned to the other chambers. She was still shaken by the dream and a chill crept up her spine as she looked at her friends. 'It was just a dream. A lousy dream.' She pressed the release on Aria's pod and threw the door open. " Rise and shine, " she chirped though her enthusiasm was forced.

One slender hand moved to brush a pink curl from her face then swatted half-heartedly at Nara, " Go 'way. "

In response, Nara poked her in the ribs, " You've been asleep for a week for crying out loud! It's time to wake up. "

Aria hopped up with a start, " Did you have to do that? I was having the most wonderful dream. "

" We landed yesterday. The others are still out. "

" Yesterday? " Aria leaned out glancing around. Sure enough the others were still sound asleep. The girl climbed groggily from the chamber, " I guess we should wake them up."

" We should but..." Nara grinned mischievously.

" Oh no! No. No. No. We don't know anything about this place or what we're doing here."

Nara laughed, " Alright. It was just a suggestion. "

They released the other four girls from the suspension chambers. Keridwen went immediately to the main computer and began pulling up files. " This doesn't make any sense. The pods should have opened when we landed, " she muttered pouring through the information.

Mayoko glanced over her shoulder, " Any thoughts? "

" Not a clue. No. Wait, " she pushed a blue button and clicked on a file, " According to the records, no one programmed the pods to open automatically. "

" What? " Mayoko exclaimed leaning in to get a closer look.

Khamiya stood back listening intently to the conversation. She arched a brow upon hearing Keridwen's assessment. They "forgot"? Calerian scientists and technicians were renowned across the galaxy for their skill and precision, they didn't just forget things like that.

Mayoko frowned looking over the log for the third time, " Do you think it was intentional?"

" I don't like to jump to conclusions, but if you want my personal opinion, someone didn't intend for us to wake up. If it wasn't for Nara we'd have been in there until, well, until the support systems crashed. "

Luriel took a small purple pouch from her pocket and held it tightly in her hands. She had a terrible feeling about this mission. Silently she prayed to the gods to keep them safe until they reached home, but the calm that usually enveloped her did not come. With a heavy heart she tucked the charm bag away and went to help the others prepare to disembark.