Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Crescent Mirror ❯ Chapter 3: Shadows in the Light ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Crescent Mirror

Author: aaeris17

Rating: PG-13

Disclaimers: I do not own Sailor Moon…everything that isn't Sailor Moon is MINE

Author Notes: Yippee!! Chapter 3! I have been having some minor troubles with the computer as far as uploading chapters goes; but hopefully I will have fewer issues in the future ;) This story should start picking up soon; I plan on fast forwarding through time a little; but that's all I can say!

Thanks:

I have fans!! I love all of you for taking the time to not only read my story, but send me your thoughts!

Sweet Sailor Cool: I will TRY and do my BEST to update once a week; but I hafta go back to school soon and it might get harder!

Crystal Jade 2: Hopefully you like this chapter!

Sparky: Woot!! My first Media miner review that wasn't someone I knew!! ;) Thank you so much for reading and reviewing!!

****************Chapter 3*******************

**************** *******************

"The Shadow Wars are something not for thy ears, young one," Luna bitterly snapped. I rolled my eyes at Mina who bit her lips to suppress a smile.

"Luna, I think that I am plenty old enough to know this kingdom's history," I flipped my hair at her.

Luna sighed inwardly; she will be just like her mother.

"Age has nothing to do with it-there is a right time for everything and NOW is not the right time," Luna explained as she quickly scanned the books Ami was shutting hurriedly. I squinted at Luna who stood in front of the sun. She seemed foreboding and quite worried at the same time.

"I apologize Lady Luna if we have disrupted the Princess's schooling," Ami bowed her head respectfully. From the corner of her eyes she shot Mina a look and Mina quickly dropped the daisy she had been playing with and murmured a similar apology to Luna.

Only Endy remained silent-I'm sure Luna was convinced he had been the one at fault. Suddenly I felt bad for him, like he shouldn't be in trouble for something I had pressured him into. Guilt was a new feeling for me. I couldn't quite hide my discomfort either. I twisted my hands in my lap,

"Luna, I made them tell me," I whispered. Luna's eyes left Endy and reproachfully glued themselves to my bowed head. Her burning glaze was worse than the sun that had started to dry the dewy grass. Grass stains showed on my breeches and I felt even more guilty.

"Sere," Luna squatted to my height and lovingly took my chin into her palm, "I am honored you spoke the truth," she smiled and shared the look with Endy, "and I will return this honesty with an act of honesty," Luna settled herself down onto the grass.

I stared at Endy who looked slightly aghast. Quickly, I shared a look with Ami who looked curious and Mina who seemed overly excited. I could not believe my luck. Maybe this honest Princess thing wasn't so bad.

A dark look fell over Luna's face and her yellow sundress seemed suddenly grossly out of place-even on this beautiful sunny day. All four of us sat around her, as if she was going to tell us a glorious tale of the nearby Faerie Kingdoms and her exploits with the faeries. I couldn't wait till my day came to train with the Faerie Kingdom.

Luna absently plucked a nearby daisy and twirled it in her fingers, a la Mina. "The days that passed in those years were horribly dark. It seems that peace is only the pauses between wars. You children have none nothing but the prosperity and light of our kingdoms. The time your parents knew as young adults was much darker…the time I knew was full of nothingness. The Seven Years of Shadows…the Shadow Wars.

"Seven kingdoms existed ten years ago known collectively as the Shadow Kingdoms. These kingdoms were rumored to be full of dark, evil magic and the monarchs were merely pawns in the games of demons from another world. The kingdoms welcomed both dark and light magic: their main concern was not good versus evil as much as power and those who do not have it. The leader of the Highest Shadow Kingdom was said to be an avatar of the Evil one himself, this King went by the simple name of Chaos. True to his name, the King's sole purpose was to bring more followers to his goal: complete and utter control of the Luster Kingdom and its followers in the Silver Alliance.

"Slowly, but surely, Chaos managed to persuade all seven Shadow kingdoms to his cause. His most stout follower was the late Queen Metallica of the Wraith Kingdom. Chaos favored her the most and presented her many gifts, amongst them was his son, Lord Pharaoh. Pharaoh at this time was hardly of age to be wed, he had his sights set on other women. That, however, is another dark tale that is not for thy ears or this time," Luna frowned upon our imploring eyes. Only Ami seemed to remain uninterested in Luna's dismissal of Pharaoh's past.

"The marriage put Pharaoh in control of two of the most deadliest kingdoms in the Shadow world. He knew what power he had and he knew what he wanted. He wanted more power. Chaos had already set his sights high when he managed to control the Seven Shadow Kingdoms; Pharaoh wanted the Sky. He was reaching for the pinnacle of all power: the throne of Tranquility, the throne of the Moon. At this time, children, Sere's grandfather, the poor King had just passed on, leaving his kingdom in the hands of his young daughter, then Princess Selenity. Pharaoh saw the young princess, now Queen, as an easy target. He rallied his troops together for a total ambush of the Tranquility Kingdom. But, he was only Prince Consort; any action he wanted to take had to be done thru the Queen and the Queen served his father. Pharaoh saw that he was trapped by his own father. He was in a marriage where he had no power. Slowly, he began twisting Metallica's ear and whispering the delights of ruining the Princess Selenity. He knew of the upcoming marriage to Prince Apollo of the Sol Kingdom. The marriage was written in the stars themselves to reunite the Luster Kingdom. I must remember to tell you children more of the history of this kingdom….such a beautiful, sad tale," Luna's eyes misted over as she flew back to happier times and happier stories,

"Unknown to the new Queen Selenity was all of this. She had her hands full with too many matters to barely acknowledge the growing darkness and unrest in the Shadow Kingdoms. Had her father not passed, had her mother still been alive, I am sure that Selenity would have stopped Metallica and Pharaoh far before an ambush happened. Yet, fate does not always go as planned.

"As Metallica hungered and hungered for Selenity's throne, Pharaoh took more of a backseat so any blame would fall on his father and his wife. Metallica convinced Chaos that an attack before the marriage of the two most powerful kingdoms in the world. Chaos knew that he could not attack the Luster kingdom once it reformed, but he could attack its two remnants. Feeling renewed, he placed his son in charge of training the armies for an all out war.

"In the midst of this evil planning, Queen Selenity and Prince Apollo were going about trying to tie up the loose ends of their heaven made marriage. Very much in love, the couple was destined for great things…who could have known that their greatness would show during the worst years of the kingdom's recent history?

"The night before the Ceremonial week began, the Holy Night, Chaos and his armies fell upon the two kingdoms like a demonic plague. Twas the beginning of the Seven Years of Hell.

"Each year was spent destroying one of the Seven Shadow Kingdoms. The Mecurious Kingdom was the first to take down a shadow Kingdom; using their technology and wisdom, the Venusians destroyed the second kingdom, not to be out done, the Ares family of Mars joined the game and along with the Jovians, destroyed the third and fourth kingdoms jointly. All that was left was Chaos's kingdom, Metallica's kingdom, and the Fifth Kingdom. Our neighbors in the outer loop joined the war in the fifth year, the Asteroid Kingdoms, named after the outer Planets, Kingdom Cronos for Uranus, Poseidon for Neptune, Hades for Pluto, and the most fearful, Titian of Saturn. Uranus and Neptune easily destroyed the fifth kingdom and Pluto finally brought Metallica to her knees. Once Metallica was on her knees, Chaos sensed his end had come. The Queen of Titian, Persephone, took it upon herself to destroy Chaos-much against the wishes of Queen Selenity.

"With Chaos destroyed, his power over people began to fade. Villagers came in throes for forgiveness and spiritual cleansing-many entered the kingdoms of the Silver Alliance as tradesmen. The aftermath of the war seemed to bring a sense of new beginning; even Metallica begged for mercy before the now King Apollo and Queen Selenity of the Luster Kingdom. She only asked for redemption in the eyes of her Lords and to be left in peace for her remaining days. She was still fairly young and Selenity believed she could start over. Apollo wanted to have Pharaoh hung for the crimes of his father, but both Metallica and Selenity pleaded for the very young man. He could not be blamed for wanting to be a good son and faithful husband. Much against his advisors, Apollo released Metallica and Pharaoh to the poor remants of the Wraith Kingdom.

"We have had a beautiful peace since then…each year seemed to celebrate the marriage of the young couple and the Earth bloomed under their ruling," Luna smiled, waveringly. Her story was complete, and yet very incomplete at the same time. I felt the holes in her fabric of story telling much like moth holes left in winter clothing. Tiny droplets of tears hung from her long, violet eyelashes.

I sat up onto my knees and scooted my way over to stand in front of Luna. I opened my arms and fell into her warm bosom and let her arms envelop me. But, this time, I was the one who comforted her. I felt a familiar body on top of mine and realized that Endy had joined in on the hug, followed by Mina and Ami. Ami's addition caused Luna to fall backward and giggles ensued afterwards.

"Children, children, children," Luna playfully scolded as she gathered herself together and wiped off any unsightly grass stains, "I seem to have forgotten the time!" Luna exclaimed as she noticed the sun shining warmly in the sky. Shielding her eyes, her glaze fell southward, towards the Knight grounds, "I shall be leaving you four now, hopefully in capable hands," those words were directed to Endy, who as the eldest, was the one made to watch us, "Do not forget," she sweetly whispered to him as she kissed us all good-bye.

Endy made a slight scowl. He wanted to be responsible-just not responsible for a group of little girls! I could practically see those thoughts etched all over his face. As Luna faded into the sunlight, Mina giggled. With a quick raise of her hand, she slapped Endy back into his present time.

"Tag!! You're IT!!" She screeched and pulling Ami ran away quickly. I burst out laughing and stumbled over myself trying to run away from Endy's flailing arms. Endy growled in frustration-not too sure who to chase first; I heckled him and without fail, he chose a direct path towards me. I threw my head back and took a deep breath of the fresh summer air. The air meant nothing but fun and of course, my birthday was in the air. Holding the sweet air in my lungs, I began a zig-zag course that took Endy and me all over the courtyard and in and out of Mina and Ami.

Luna heard the shrieks of laughter and shaded her eyes to see the four little devils running around madly. She shook her thick, dark hair. Children will never cease to be children-not even this dark tale could hamper their instinctive mood for fun. She smiled despite herself and kept walking towards the Knight Grounds.

* * *

The shrieks of laughter echoed into the breakfast parlor of the Castle. Selenity smiled to herself as she recognized the four giggles and continued to sip her tea. Apollo and Lawrence exchanged knowing looks-those giggles could turn into tears far too quickly. Gaia paused from buttering her toast to squeeze Selenity's hand. Lord Hermes and the Lord Chancellor of the Venusians smiled at each other. Their daughters were often lonely within their own kingdoms. The visits to the main kingdom were much anticipated and very good for Ami and Mina.

However, not every one at the table was so happy to hear the laughter. A raven haired girl with indigo highlights stared furiously at her porridge. She angrily stirred the oats and swirled in honey. Her father cleared his throat and shook his head at her. She made a face at Count Ares before returning to her mess of porridge.

Another girl, who sat further down the table, stirred restlessly at the noises of happy children. She keenly noted that the High Princess was missing from breakfast along with the Princesses of Mercurious and Venusians. She also sadly realized that only she and the snob from Mars were still here. She fidgeted even more-causing her chestnut hair to flop around from its high ponytail. Finally, her mother, the Duchess Minerva of Jovia, noticed her emerald child's unhappiness. She nodded at Selenity before excusing both herself and her daughter from the table.

Relief filled the girl as she curtsied to the assembly before leaving the room with her hand in her mother's. She stole a quick look back and saw the Princess of Mars angrily staring at her. The Jovian Princess quickly stuck out her tongue at the raven brat before exiting the Breakfast parlor.

Once outside the parlor and on the verandah, the young princess ran to watch the children playing happily on the green. Duchess Minerva crouched next to the Princess to watch the four play happily.

"Why do you not join them, child?" she whispered into the girl's ear. The girl with bright green eyes shook her head no. The rosy cheeks blushed as she thought of trying to introduce herself, "Lita, darling, they will not bite," the Duchess teased.

Lita sighed and continued staring, "They may not like me, mama," she whispered.

"Nonsense, I don't think you're scary!" her mother ruffled her hair. Lita did not look convinced as she leaned her small frame against the marble walls, warm skin meeting cool stone. Minerva grinned to herself and pulled four cookies out of her skirt, "Here, take these with you, no one can resist a good cookie!" she teased Lita as Lita guility reached into her own dress pocket and felt the cookie crumbs, "Go!"

Lita felt a slight push on her back as her mother shoved her in the direction of the staircase. Carefully, Lita held the cookies in her little palms as she descended the steep stairs. She took two shuffles for every step and finally exhaled in relief feeling the cool grass under her feet.

With a quick look back to her mama for encouragement, Lita determinedly walked towards the four children who had now collapsed in a heap nearby. She bit her lip and held her small head high as the distance between the four and her decreased with each seemingly sure step.

I sat up and sniffed, cookies! I looked around and saw a girl with long brown hair in a high ponytail walking towards me. She looked vaguely familiar and by her emerald gown, I guessed she must be from the Jovian kingdom. Ami stirred next to me and whispered,

"That's the Princess Lita of the Jovian kingdom. She is already known to be a great pastry chef at the age of seven!" Ami informed. Mina and I shared a sweet tooth and grinned. Endy didn't bother getting up.

Lita finally stopped a yard from the three girls and a slightly older boy. She knew the two blondes were Princesses Mina and Serenity, and the girl with aqua hair must be the Princess Ami. Lita clumsily curtsied with cookies still in hand.

I giggled at her curtsy and walked towards her, "Hi, I'm Sere," I held out my hand. Lita looked shocked as if she couldn't decide what to do, "That's Mina, and Ami, the one over there is my best friend Endy," I pointed to everyone, "Do you want to play with us? ENDY IS NO FUN," I yelled to emphasize my point, Endy just snarled. Lita's face broke out in a huge grin.

"Sure, here are some cookies my mom and I baked. She thought you would like them," Lita handed me four large chocolate, chocolate chip cookies. My eyes became wide as I felt drool in anticipation. Mina promptly pounced upon two cookies and handed one to Ami. I smiled at Lita and handed one cookie back to her.

Lita blushed, "No, I've already eaten plenty!" She giggled. Yes! Two cookies for ME!

"Thanks Lita!!" I graciously bowed my head, "Wow, two!" I laughed.

"Hey! I think one's for me, cow tails!" Endy complained.

"Uh, no!" I held the cookies closer to me. Lita looked nervous. Endy frowned and grabbed for his cookie.

"You are such a PIG!" He lunged again to get a cookie. I held them further from him,

"You weren't paying attention! So you don't get one!" I remarked. Endy looked like he wanted to do something to me but Ami interceded.

"Here, Endy, have mine," she handed her cookie to him. Endy flushed at the kindness from Ami and looked speechless. I made a face at Ami for being so polite.

"Here AMI, you can have one of mine," I handed her my second cookie. Ami giggled covertly with Lita and Mina. I couldn't help but laughing as we all sat happily and munched on our cookies.

"Hey, who is that sourpuss staring at us from the verandah?" Mina announced as she licked her fingers.

Lita turned to look and her face became slightly shadowed.

Ami peered over her glasses, "I believe that is the Princess of Mars, her name is Rei, if I am correct,"

I looked back and saw an angry looking girl about our age. Her hair billowed around her in a dark, menancing cloud, and her violet eyes were darker and meaner than Luna's. I shuddered and turned to ignore her. But, something about the fire in her eyes made me feel sorry for her. She looked lonely and unhappy-while the four of us laughed away.

Endy followed my gaze, "We should talk to her," he whispered. I squinted my eyes. The girl was gutsy. She continued her rude stare as if we were nobody.

"I dunno," I muttered, "I don't think she likes me very much,"

"If she didn't like you, she wouldn't keep staring like she is waiting for us to ask her to come over," Endy spoke softly, "I don't think she's going to hurt us, "he said in a much louder voice.

I turned back to the girl and she was gone. Only the cawing of crows could be heard amongst the wind. I shielded my eyes but, she was still gone. Hmmmm, I must meet this Princess of Mars…

The Wraith Kingdom…

Beryl happily sat as Wiseman urged her brother to try again and again. Diamond was in the midst of knight training, rather young, but Father had insisted. Beryl twirled her auburn hair as Diamond mounted his horse for the thousandth time, bareback. The horse wasn't even one of the kingdoms broken steeds-he was a True Wraith-an unbreakable horse. Only the Royal Men of the Wraith family could break them and apparently Diamond was intent on breaking his neck in the process of doing so. Beryl had to laugh at the scene. Here she was forced to practice good manners and have Princess Lessons while Diamond was out there breaking his neck. She would rather endure Nehelenia's-Mother's beatings than risk her life.

Beryl continued stringing daisies together, making a lovely crown to sit upon her head. She would be Queen one day; she was the elder by 13 minutes. Beryl nestled the crown of daisies in her hair and peered to see her reflection in a nearby pool of water. She laughed and her best friend laughed back at her. One day, one day, she, Beryl, Princess of the Wraith Kingdom, would have it all. She twirled about happily in her little garden. Everyone would one day bow to her-this was her dream. She wrapped her arms around herself and sighed. There would come a day where she would have her kingdom to rule and a loving man by her side. She would be like her mother, the legendary Queen Metallica. She would marry a powerful man but allow him no power. She gently fingered her crown of daisies and pictured the dark obsidian tiara that would replace it one day. She grinned at her imagination and two tiny little fangs sprouted upon the cherry lips of the child.

Wiseman turned his attention from Diamond. Diamond showed great potential; he had no doubt that Diamond would prove an excellent ruler-had he the chance. His eyes wandered over to the Princess Beryl. Something about her seemingly, childish antics dictated a more sinister interior. She had often been overlooked for Diamond's needs; yet, Wiseman sensed that he should not allow Beryl to slip away. Perhaps there was more to the child than anyone realized.

Nehelenia watched Beryl dance amongst the daisies and a twinge of jealously rocked her body. She ignored it. Nothing more than the usual hatred for any child with a happy childhood, she mused. But, as she had noticed when she first saw Beryl, this child was destined for greatness. Nehelenia felt excitement building up within her; her evil mind already far ahead of the game. With the proper training, and under the correct amount of control, Beryl would be unstoppable. Nehelenia drummed her fingernails along the windowsill. Things could be perfect. Now, just wait for dinner with the dearest Sister, and things will finally get underway. She sighed happily and surprised herself and any nearby servants with the happy sound. Nehelenia rubbed her right palm, a bit raw from having slapped Beryl so many times. The girl had to learn the hard way. No daughter of hers would be colly-cuddled like that brat of a niece of hers. Just wait till she got her hands on Selenity junior, damn Serenity. Damn, damn, damn! Nehelenia cursed silently.

She moved away from the iron gated window and back to her throne. Servants milled around, awaiting any slight instruction of hers.

"You!" She pointed a finger to a nearby man servant, "Fetch me the latest historical books about the Luster Kingdom, immediately!"

The man rushed out of the room and to the castle's library. Nehelenia settled herself back upon her throne. She loved thinking that, her throne. Her kingdom…she always wanted everything, and more. The very selfishness was what continued to tie Pharaoh and her together-that an insatiable appetite for all things material and physical. Nehelenia felt a smile unfurl along her sensual mouth at those thoughts.

A feeble knock on the entry on the entryway to the throne room brought her back to her senses. The manservant carefully carried a stack of a half a dozen leather novels. She chuckled at the stupidity and fear of the man to have brought back so many books. She waved her hand and the young man gently placed the volumes near her throne. Large, round eyes patiently awaited a dismissal. She impatiently waved her hand-gesturing for him to leave. She sighed ungratefully. How much of a simpleton were the people who served her?

A gleam of the heavy, oak mirror caught her attention. Happily, she blew her reflection a kiss which it blushingly accepted, "Soon, my dear sister, you shall suffer as I have," Nehelenia hissed thru her teeth.

A heavy hand fell on her shoulder and she knew the weight of it all too well. Without leaving her trance with the mirror, she cocked her head to one side and waited for Pharaoh's face to appear in the mirror besides hers. A lean, chiseled, hairless head appeared next to hers. The eyes large and dark, without pupils, a mouth, thin and menacing with a slight sneer-she loved this face. Well, as much as she loved anything besides herself.

"They are waiting on us the next full moon-her letter just came," Pharaoh waved the sparkling envelope in the air above them.

Nehelenia sneered, "She would pick a day where her power was at its highest,"

Pharaoh chuckled, "But we shall have the last laugh, my Queen, the Rightful Queen and heir to the line of Selene,"

"Yes, the line of Selene," she whispered carefully fingering her birthmark, "my mother was also borne of the line of Selene-just not the line they care for," Nehelenia turned to embrace her husband. In less than six days, everything Selenity trusted so much would just begin to crumble.

The Luster Kingdom….

Royal Ballroom

Couples twirled in beautiful patterns up and down the floor. Romance was in the air and little attention was paid to the fact that the reason everyone had gathered was for a darker purpose.

Tonight, however, was celebration-the meeting and greetings of old family friends who hadn't gathered together in years. The Royal heads of the Luster Kingdom were all dancing away in duos that were not the normal matches. King Apollo led the fair Lady Chancellor Aphrodite while his Queen was being wooed by the Duke of Jovian. The Duchess of Jovian had taken it upon herself to dance with the Lord Hermes whose wife sat in quiet discussion with the Lord Chancellor of Venusians. The widowed Count Ares sat quietly with the Lord and Lady of Poseidon. Selenity had been very pleased that the Outer Kingdoms could join them, if only after a agreement had been reached.

I watched all the adults dance freely and stifled another yawn. Endy looked just as bored as Mina forced him to twirl her around the floor. Ami sat quietly, still studying the history book from earlier. She had made many previous entreaties for me to take notes, but had long given up. Lita poked me in the ribs to stop my yawning. I shared a small giggle with my new friend. Our comrade was being given death stare still by the beautiful heiress of Mars.

Ami had recently informed me that the girl, Rei, had lost her mother early on in life. I felt the deepest sympathy for her-if something ever happened to my Mama I wouldn't know what to do. Lita handed another cookie to me-double chocolate chip, just like Mama and Luna make.

Munching, I couldn't take my eyes off the Mars girl. Like all of us, she had been forced to wear a nice gown that went to her knees. I wore pink (yuck), Ami wore sky blue, Lita wore a pastel green, Mina had a soft yellow-orange, and this girl seemed to be wearing a dark red! I cringed at the dark blood hints of her dress and wanted to comment when Luna's words came to mind: You should never laugh at someone who has less than you do. I bit my cookie…who are you…Rei of Mars?