Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Decided Bride ❯ A Request for Motoki ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 2
~~ A Request for Motoki ~~

Dawn was breaking, but the sun didn't find Serenity in bed. She had already pinned her hair up and slipped into a pair of pants and baggy shirt. She would put on these garments whenever she went to town alone. Throwing the worn cloak around her shoulders, she pulled the hood over her head, concealing her abundance of golden hair and much of her face.
Silently she slipped down into the garden from her balcony, by way of the tree that grew right next to it. Within minutes, she was outside the palace walls and heading down towards the tavern. She knew Motoki would already be up, since he had to prepare for the coming day. Serenity reached the tavern, opened the door, and slipped inside.
Motoki was standing behind the counter looking over some papers. At the sound of the closing door, he looked up, "Can I help you?" he called out before realizing who it was, "Usagi, what are you doing here?" he asked, not really all that surprised to see her. She walked up to the bar and leaned against its polished surface. He stood there with his usual -- good morning smile.
"I need a favour from you," she said quietly. His eyebrows rose in amusement -- whenever she wanted a favour, it usually meant a prank was soon on the way, "And what can I get you this time, Princess? A basket of eggs? Some feathers and honey?" He smiled at her, but then noticed her serious expression and it worried him.
"No Motoki, nothing like that. You know that the royals are coming from Earth in two weeks…right," Motoki nodded, wondering what tricks Serenity was planning to play on the unsuspecting suitor, "I-I, uh..." Serenity started to stutter, and Motoki's senses perked up. This was rather unusual!
"Are you all right Usagi?" he asked.
"I need you to teach me how to act around men," she blurted out. Motoki stared at her wide-eyed, not really knowing how to react to her request. Serenity sighed, "Artemis is going to teach us girls about Earthling ways. But I can't ask him to teach me how to act when...when I-I'm alone with......." her sentence trailed off as she bit her lip. Fortunately, the hood of the cloak hid her teary eyes.
"What is going on Usagi?" Motoki asked as he moved from behind the counter and took her hand, leading her to one of the back rooms. Once there, she drew back her hood and they sat around a table, "Will you please explain to me what is going on?" he asked gently, his hand on her arm.
She looked up into his eyes, "I'm going to be married soon, Motoki," she said quietly.
An expression of shock crossed his face, "What? I thought your mother was allowing you to choose whom, and when you marry," he exclaimed.
Serenity nodded slowly, "Yes, she is. She doesn't know I'm going to accept the offer yet."
"I-I had no idea that you wanted to be wed already." Motoki was about as baffled as he had ever been. Why the sudden change of heart?
Serenity looked down at the floor, "I don't," was all she whispered.
"Then why the hell are you planning to accept an offer when you haven't even met the man concerned? You don't even know if you'll like him!" Serenity looked at him sharply for cursing. He mumbled an apology for it.
She sighed, "Motoki, think about it. How long has the earth and moon been without peace? I have to think about the future of this kingdom. I have to marry the man to bring that peace."
He shook his head, "There are other ways of signing a peace treaty, without you selling yourself in the process." he replied thoughtfully, his voice gentler than before.
"You know they will be insulted if I decline. You don't think that would create more friction between our nations?" she asked earnestly.
Motoki sighed, not really knowing how to answer. He knew she was right, but he hated to see the woman he treasured as a sister selling herself to a man she didn't even know, "Are you sure about this?" he asked once more. She nodded, and his grip on her arm tightened, "All right Serenity, what do you want me to teach you?" he asked.
She looked up at him, a blush crossing her cheeks. He couldn't keep back a smile, "Never mind," she answered, "I guess I'll have to start from the beginning."
She gave him a weak smile and stood up and put her arms around his shoulders from behind, "Thank you Motoki. Just not now. I have to get back, but I'll try and return before the day is out." He nodded, placing his hands over hers, still resting upon his shoulders. Serenity stepped back, pulling her hood back over her head. Just before she exited, she glanced back, "I'll come as Tye tonight, so you don't need to worry about clearing the ruffians out," she told him -- Tye was the name she used when she came to town dressed as she was -- masquerading as a boy. Motoki inclined his head, and watched the figure slip through the door. He sat there for a few moments lost in thought, before returning to work and preparing for the day ahead.


~ Disclaimer ~
I do not own the rights to Sailormoon or any of the characters. That honour belongs to Naoko Takeuchi, and I am simply a lowly author who can use her characters for my plots.
I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you so much to my wonderful Beta's, Loki and ken_shin_ta. You two are irreplaceable, patient, and just plain amazing. You've helped me improve my writing skills, and I am very grateful to you. Thanks!