Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Decided Bride ❯ Darien's Messages and Thoughts ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 20 ~ Darien's Messages and Thoughts

Darien watched, leaning against the door, as the girls finally walked back in the direction of the palace. He and Usagi had returned to the tavern after their walk, and now it was time for everyone to go home.

He heard a small cough behind him and turned around to see Malachite approaching him. He came and stood beside the young man and watched the girls with him.

"Malachite," Darien started to say, then paused.

"Yes?" The General asked.

"You didn't see the girls here tonight," Darien said.

He missed the smirk on Malachite's face. "Really? And why not" he asked, trying to keep his tone serious.

Darien didn't miss the hint of amusement though. "Think about it Malachite. What would the Queen think if she knew her daughter and her Senshi were out in town without a proper escort and without her knowledge of it?" he replied.

Malachite smirked again. "I won't say anything."

Darien nodded and brought his gaze upon Malachite. "Good." He decided that was enough on the topic, and changed the subject. "So, you're sending a messenger to earth first thing tomorrow?"

Malachite nodded. The girls had already disappeared from sight, so they could talk freely. "Yes. Any further messages to send along?" he asked.

"Just my greetings. Tell them….." he paused. "Tell them I think that Endymion will be very pleased with Serenity."

Malachite chuckled. "You finally met her. What did you think?" he asked.

Darien could feel himself blush a little, but thankfully the darkness hid any signs of crimson on his cheeks. "I thought you were referring to Mina at first. I was surprised when Serenity admitted to me who she was." He left out all the details of what had passed between them in the garden, knowing the general would probably slaughter him for it. Darien chuckled to himself as he looked down the streets where the girls had disappeared. He could already hear Malachite's voice. "How could you have been so careless! You baka!" he would say, sword being drawn.

Malachite raised an eyebrow. "Is something amusing?" he asked. Darien shook his head and turned to walk back into the tavern. He saw Motoki talking to a few of the people who were still there.

"It's getting late. We should head off to bed," was all Darien said in response. He looked back at Malachite who nodded his head.

"Yes, we should. Goodnight." With a small grin, The silver haired General left, closing the door soundlessly.

Darien watched as Motoki and the small group that was with him approached. They all said their goodnights, and the main room was left empty, save for Motoki and Darien.

"I am so glad that all the girls helped clean up before everyone left. I would hate to have everything left for you and me to do," Motoki said cheerfully, gazing around the clean room.

Darien smiled. "Naru sure likes to take charge when if comes to cleaning," he commented. Motoki nodded and smiled as the two men headed towards the counter. "Motoki, can we talk?" Darien asked.

Motoki looked at him, nodded, and reached under the counter for two mugs. There was still a small pot of cider warming on the fire, so he poured what was left into the two mugs and the two men sat together in front of the cheerful fire.

"What's on your mind?" Motoki asked, fairly sure he already knew the answer.

"Usagi…I mean, Serenity…what should I call her?" Darien asked.

Motoki smiled. "It doesn't really matter. Go ahead and call her Usagi, that's what all her friends call her. The name wasn't made up."

Darien nodded and smiled as he took a drink. "That girl has gone through so many names in the time I've known her. Tye, Usagi, Serenity… I'll bet anything she's not really Serenity but Selenity."

Motoki laughed. "I can assure you, she is Serenity," he said, and chuckled as he remembered how he had stumbled upon the two out in the garden. He had been looking for Serenity after she had been outside for quite a while, since Mina had come back without her.

He walked down the path and rounded the corner to the Koi pond. He stopped as soon as he saw the scene in front of him, Darien was holding Serenity to his chest, her hands clutching his shirt. He was stroking her neck, his face resting on top of her head. They were in complete silence.

Motoki cleared his throat and watched with amusement as he saw the two jump from each other and spin around to face him, a look of shock and horror on their faces. "Another lesson, eh? Darien, you're making progress," he said.

"Motoki!..." he heard Serenity squeak out. That's when he noticed the shine of tears on her face. He looked at Darien who was watching Serenity with a worried look, one that spoke words that only the heart could feel, one that made Motoki take in his breath sharply.

"Are you two ok?" he asked. Both now faced him.

Darien nodded his head. "We're fine Motoki. Just another lesson," he said gruffly.

Motoki heard Serenity take in her breath and both looked at her. She was staring at Darien, her eyes swimming with tears. Then she nodded her head.

"Yeah Motoki, only a lesson." Her voice was quiet.

Motoki looked down at his feet. "The girls were wondering where you were. You should come back." He looked back up and saw both people nod their heads.

Serenity took a step forward, but stopped at the sound of Darien's still gruff voice. "We'll be there in a minute," he said as he clasped Serenity's arm. Motoki nodded.

"Alright," he said, and with that he walked back to the tavern.

Darien and Serenity returned within two minutes as well, Darien walking over to the group playing music, and Serenity walked over to the Senshi. Serenity didn't look grief-stricken any more, but neither one of them looked particularly like they were jumping for joy.

Motoki now stared at the man sitting in front of him, wondering what he was thinking. Darien was thinking of the same situation.

He saw she was about to leave.

"We'll be there in a minute." He growled as he clasped her arm.

"Alright," he heard Motoki say, and he turned his head to watch the man walk away and out of sight. He then brought his gaze back to Serenity who was staring up at him.

His face took on a soft, apologetic expression. "I didn't mean that," he said, "that it was just a lesson."

She nodded her head. "I know. At first I thought you did, since you already said that to me once, but I know you didn't."

He nodded, then paused, contemplating her words. "When have I said it to you?" he asked, feeling a little ashamed since he knew he never meant it.

"The last time we were in the stables training Jasmine that one evening. When we were leaving, you said it was all part of a lesson," she said. He remembered saying those words to her.

He felt himself blush. "I didn’t mean it back then either."

She smiled up at him. "Really?" she asked, rays of hope emitting from that single word.

He nodded. "Really." He pulled her in for a hug again. "I wasn't sure if you wanted Motoki knowing what had just really happened." He felt her nod against his chest.

"I don't mind if he knows. He won't tell anyone." She then looked up at him."You know this can't happen again, Darien. Endymion's going to be here-" Darien cut her off, placing his thumb on her lips.

"Don't. Please. I know," he said quietly.

She nodded her head as he put his arm around her shoulder and they walked back to the tavern. You have no idea how much I know, he thought to himself.


Darien now turned his face so that he was looking at Motoki. "Motoki," he started to speak, "you should know that what you saw in the garden was not a lesson."

Motoki nodded. "I figured as much," he said as he turned to face Darien. "Be careful," he added.

Darien's face was like a stone, void of emotion. "Why." He said it more like a statement then a genuine question.

"She's still innocent Darien, you know that as well as I do. She's young and naïve about many things still. I don't want to see her hurt. If you hurt her, I would have to kill you. Or at least send the Senshi out to torture you and then kill you." The comment was funny enough to make both men want to laugh, but both kept their solemn expressions.

"I wouldn't hurt her Motoki. Not ever. I thought you were going to warn me about the fact that her soon-to-be family is coming in a short while."

Motoki shrugged his shoulders and smiled a little. "Yes, they are coming, but Serenity doesn't have to accept Endymion's offer."

Darien smiled. "She's set on accepting him," he pointed out.

Motoki sighed and nodded. "I know. She wants peace. I can't say I blame her, but….well, I talked to the Senshi tonight and they are all worried about her. She is so set on accepting Endymion that she is willing to accept him no matter what he is like." He paused as his eyes wandered to the dancing flames again. "I have heard he has fairly decent reputation, but that isn't a guarantee he'll be good to her and make her happy." He took a sip from his mug. "We all just wish that she would have met him and gotten to know him before she made her final decision."

Darien nodded his head. "I understand your concern. I'll tell you this much though Motoki, he will treat her well," he said in a rather determined voice.

Motoki looked up at him from the flames. "How can you be so sure? I know you're from earth, but still…"

Darien let out a sigh as he looked into the depths of the earthen vessel in his hands, and then brought his stare to the flames. "Motoki, what I tell you now you must not tell a single soul, no one. I am telling you only because I may need your help." He looked back at the confused Motoki. "Swear on your life as well as hers that you will not utter a single word I tell you tonight."

Motoki slowly nodded his head, clearly perplexed and not knowing what to think. Darin sighed again and looked down. "I didn't come here to earth looking for work. I came to watch Serenity. I was to see if she would be a good match. I know Endymion better than anyone, better than Malachite or the king and Queen. I know if he would like her or not. So I came to see if things could work." He brought his gaze up to meet Motoki's. "I came here as a spy. I'm telling you now Motoki, she will not be ill treated. She will be loved. She will find the respect that she deserves at the court of Earth. She will be happy." He paused again. "Isn't that all that matters? That she is happy?"

Motoki had so many emotions running through him, he didn't know which one to act on first. He nodded his head though. "Yes, she deserves to be happy," was all me managed to say.

"She will be."

"But how can you be so sure Darien! Besides, even if he did love her, she would not be completely happy unless she could love him too. That is something you can't guarantee."

Both men looked at each other in silence. Then, an odd grin started to spread across Darien's face. "You need to let me finish my explanation before you will understand Motoki. There's still more I need to tell you." Darien chuckled. "I am fairly confident that she will love Endymion, if she gives him a chance-" Motoki cut him off.

"But she doesn't need to love him Darien, she already loves you! It's easy enough to see on her face. She's not the kind of girl who can love two men at the same time, and there is no chance in hell her heart will let go of you easily." Motoki didn't know how to explain this to him. He knew Serenity for much too long, and he knew that now that she had fallen in love, it would slowly destroy her.

Darien brought his gaze down to the ground. "Motoki, do you think that I could live without her being happy?" he looked up and Motoki saw Darien's eyes full of tears. He didn't know what to say at first.

"If you love her so much Darien, why not just tell her and fight for her?" he finally asked.

Darien snorted. "I did tell her. Think about it this way though. Don't you think it would tear her up inside if I tried to make her choose between me and the peace she wants so badly for her people?" Motoki didn't know what to say to Darien's comment. "Motoki, let me finish speaking right now, let me explain a few things to you. When Serenity is introduced to Endymion the Prince of Earth for the first time, she will hate him for a short while."

Motoki stared at him. "That's not very reassuring Darien." he said coolly. He was surprised to hear Darien chuckle.

"It wasn't supposed to be. However, her hate will pass." He looked up at Motoki, who was listening to every word coming from Darien's lips. "You see Motoki, there are secrets that she does not know, that you don't know about the Prince of the Earth. She is going to understand him. I will tell you some of these things though, and perhaps they will put your mind at ease."

Motoki looked at Darien curiously. "Secrets? And what do you mean she will understand him?" Darien chuckled again, and Motoki listened intently as Darien's story unfolded.

When all was said, the two stared into the fire again, lost in deep thought.

*****
~Disclaimer~
I do not own the rights to Sailormoon or any of the characters. That honour belongs to Naoko Takeuchi, and I am simply a lowly author who can use her characters for my plots.