Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Dungeon Keeper Beryl ❯ Part 2: ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
111111111000000000000111111111111111000000000000000001111111

And here's my addition to the Dungeon Keeper Craze. Dungeon Keeper Kasumi and Happosai will come later.

Date: 110408

Disclaimer: A SM/DK crossover. All characters and concepts belong to their respective creators and owners.

Synopsis: What if Beryl had never been sent to the Negaverse? What would have happened?

11111111100000000000011111111111111100000000000000000111 1111

Dungeon Keeper Beryl

Part 2:

Beryl had always prided herself on her skills as an illusionist, even before joining the ranks of the Dark Wielders. From the day she was born till adulthood, she always had a knack for the art of illusions. She had worked hard at it and refined her illusionary skills to the point where they were good enough to fool even the mages working at the Royal Court in Atlantis. The predatory visage of the Horned Reaper was one of the rare applications of the craft that she took pride in before joining the ranks of the Dark Wielders ... rare in the sense that after she became a Dark Wielder herself, she rarely, if at all used illusions.

Why?

There was simply put, no cause for it.

The reason being that every single one of the Dark Wielders and to a lesser extent, their servants, were able to 'see' right through the illusion instantly though why it was the case ... nobody knew. One of the more popular theories floating among the Dark Wielders was that since they were so closely linked to the Dark that was the source of their power, their senses extended through the Dark itself in a way that nobody fully understood with the probable exception of the High King himself ... And the High King was not forthcoming with his answers.

The best explanation that they could come up with was that the Dark was more closely rooted to the 'real world' than humans or even demons were. More closely rooted in the sense that normal men perceived the real world only in a three-dimensional format through their five senses. Mages and psychics were able to perceive more the three-dimensional universe on the astral level as well as the physical level. Demons were probably able to perceive the three-dimensional universe on their 'demonic' level in addition to the astral and physical level.

The Dark in all likelihood surpassed all of that. For an illusion to be able to fool the senses of a Dark Wielder, it would have to be good enough to fool an entity as alien and far-reaching as the Dark itself. In other words, the illusion would have to be able to transcend all known dimensions of spacetime before it could even be possible to have a remote chance of fooling the Dark ... and since not all dimensions are known or could be perceived by any living being ... there was a little to no chance of that happening.

The Dark itself and its true motivations or desires if any existed, remained a mystery. It had not demanded a price in exchange for its 'gifts of power and knowledge' that much Beryl was certain nor had it communicated to them its desire for an exchange of goods or services in a way that was typical of any sentient being. In fact, it didn't even appear to have a basic desire for worshippers and sacrifices unlike demons and deities. What the Dark wanted or what its true intentions were continued to befuddle even the most intelligent minds within Kastuul.

What was worse, they had no idea if the power they received from the Dark would continue indefinitely or would come to a full stop one day due to the entity suddenly deciding to pull the plug on it. The best analogy that they had of the 'gifts' they had received was that those were not 'gifts' so much as they were 'byproducts' of another process ... perhaps some 'waste disposal' or 'bodily' function of the Dark if it even had one.

The High King was the first person to have ever come into contact and built a 'working relationship' with this mysterious entity. Granted his contact was not the first for demons and dragons had come into contact with 'it' but it was the first working one. Most creatures that came into contact with the strange incomprehensible entity ended up dead or went completely insane from the experience. The rest were simply put, never heard from again. As to why it didn't happen with the Dark Wielders was yet another mystery to be solved. Personally Beryl thought that humans didn't rate much on the Dark's radar and so they slid beneath its notice unlike the more powerful beings like demons and dragons that drew its 'attention'.

The only thing that she was sure of about the Dark itself was that even the ruling powers of Hades gave it a wide berth and that earned 'it' points in her record sheet since anything that could give demons pause rated a big plus in her books. Thus making another good reason to join the ranks of the Dark Wielders. But enough of the reminiscing.

Now ... What was she to do about those intruders and the currently immobilized Horned Reaper in her new base of power?

Well, she needed new minions, that much she was sure of. The orcs and ogre looked pretty strong and were no stranger to the use of weapons while the human made a natural leader. So how to get them to serve her? Minions that served from fear and terror were usually the first to bolt when things got rough or hit back when they thought they could get even. Mind control was another double-edged sword. Though dependence was assured, no one alive liked being a thrall in the least and once the control slipped they usually turned on their controller with a vengence.

Loyalty was a big issue here. None of her usual Doppelganger servants and Nightspawn soldiers whose loyalty she could count on were present. Though she could always bring them here if she could open a portal to the Nightlands. But opening a portal to the Nightlands could be a tricky issue since she had to do them without her fellow Dark Wielders finding out what she had done. The last thing she wanted was to alert any of her old enemies or even worse, draw the attention of the High King to her location since her falling out with her fellow Dark Wielders.

Beryl sighed softly. Seems like she would have to make do with the local talent here rather than bringing in her more dependable servants and soldiers from the past.

111111111000000000000111111111111111000000000000000001111111

The Horned Reaper struggled in vain to free itself from the strange metallic prison that encompassed its entire body like a glove. The strange metal was already red hot with the heat that was coming from the creature as it blasted away with elemental fire at its metal prison.

Beryl watched the Reaper's antics dispassionately knowing it to be an exercise in futility unless the creature itself could teleport. Finally, she broke the silence.

"The substance that makes up your prison is as close to indestructible as it can get. No amount of physical force will ever cause the substance to give way once it has assumed a solid state," she said.

"How did you do it? I don't remember you casting any spells or using any of your Keeper powers," Lundar recalled.

"






TBC

1111111 11000000000000111111111111111000000000000000001111111

SM Notes: -

Queen Nehellenia - Queen of the Mirrorverse, worshipped for her beauty, feared losing her beauty above all else.

Queen Nehellenia prepares to escape from her mirror, and plunges the city into darkness. The Amazon Quartet and Sailor Team learn each other's identities. Queen Nehellenia grants extra powers to the Amazon Quartet. The Sailor Team fight against the Amazon Quartet, but are easily defeated due to the imbalance of power. Sailor Moon uses her Moon Gorgeous Meditation attack, but fails when Zirconia arrives. The Sailor Team gets separated in a Labyrinth of Mirrors. Zirconia uses the mirrors to try to force the Senshi to give up fighting, but the team knows that they still have their normal dreams, even though their bigger dream is to fight. The Amazon Quartet switches Chibiusa with a doll so they could ride on Pegasus. The Amazoness Quartet decide to break the Amazon Stones, which give them their powers, thus freeing them from being controlled by Queen Nehellenia. She then forces Helios to give up the Golden Crystal, and then breaks free of her mirror. The Amazoness Quartet switches the Golden Crystal with a pineapple. Nehellenia tells the Sailor Team that they cannot use the Crystal as it is a power amplifyer. Chibi Moon uses the Crystal to send a message across everyone, telling them not to give up their dreams. A big explosion happens. Chibiusa attempts to use the Golden Crystal to destroy Queen Nehellenia and the Dead Moon Circus, but is captured. When Sailor Moon gets to Nehelenia she sees that Queen Nehelenia is an old woman. Queen Nehelenia explains that she was once Queen of an asteroid and she was worshiped for her beauty. She asked her mirror if she would stay beautiful, but it showed her as an old woman. She then stole her servants' Dream Mirrors and ate them to stay young. Sailor Moon pities her and Queen Nehellenia is resealed into the mirror. Chibiusa says goodbye to Helios and says she will see him in her dreams.