Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Happily Ever After or Something Like That ❯ Welcome Back ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
AN: Here it is, the moment all you Makoto/Lita fans have been waiting for. So please, stop threatening to kill me. : ) I hope I do this well-loved character justice.
*
*
*
*
*
Makoto stood in front of Nephrite’s open refrigerator. It was amazing how little food a person could have in their home and still survive.

“Sweetheart, do you have anything in here that I could use to cook a meal?” Makoto made her way to the cupboards. Opening them, she realized that she had a better chance of finding water in the desert than of finding anything edible in her lover’s apartment.

Nephrite walked over to Makoto, looking over her shoulder into the abyss that was his kitchen. He wrapped his arms around her waist. “How about we go out for once?”

Makoto looked at him suspiciously. “Nephrite…”

Nephrite raised his hand defensively. “Before you ask, I haven’t done anything wrong. I just wanted to treat my favorite girl to a night on the town.” He resumed holding Makoto by the waist. “So, are we going, or not?”

Surveying her culinary prospects, Makoto reluctantly agreed to let Nephrite take her out to eat.

* * * * *

“Do you understand why you where sent here?”

“Yes, I hurt people that I cared about.”

“Have you acknowledged that what you’ve done was wrong?”

“I know understand that while my feelings may have been genuine, the method by which I expressed my feelings was inappropriate.” Seiya lowered her head in an attempt to appear remorseful and contrite.

“Thank you Seiya-sama. Murai-san will bring you back to your quarters.” Amamiya Kondo, the head psychiatrist at The Lighthouse, motioned for Murai to escort Seiya back to her cell.

Seiya stood up and Murai placed binding cuffs on her wrists. Seiya left, with head bowed, shuffling her feet.

“Kitayama-san, do you think that we release her?” Amamiya was handling a sheet of paper. He handed it to Kitayama.

Kitayama read the writing on the page. Astonished, he placed the paper face down in front of him. “Where did you get this?”

“Taiki-san forwarded it to me. Apparently some Earth female empathizes with Seiya-sama. I believe she signed the letter with the name Naru. She mentions that love can make people do crazy things. This Naru even offered to let Seiya live with her if she were ever to return to Tokyo.” Amamiya was wrestling with the idea of releasing Seiya so soon after her commitment. Granted, she did seem to be making great progress. Perhaps, it would be permissible to grant Seiya Kou’s early release.

Kitayama could see that Amamiya was leaning toward recommending an early release for Princess Kakyuu’s favorite guardian. “Amamiya-san, we must not let emotion interfere with sound judgment. Just because you can remember how Seiya used to be, does not mean that is the person we are dealing with today. We have to be sure that Seiya is no longer a danger to Chiba Usagi and her husband before we release her. Remember, it was the marriage of Chiba Usagi that sent Seiya over the edge.”

“Don’t you think I know that? I know how important it is that both Chiba Usagi and Chiba Mamoru live to fulfill their destinies. I just think that Seiya had a temporary lapse of judgment. I do not believe that Seiya is insane. She has acknowledged that what she did was wrong. She has expressed regret for her actions. I feel safe releasing her.” Amamiya tilted his head to the side, daring Kitayama to come up with a reason not to release Seiya.

“Say we do release Seiya, shall it be unconditional?”

“As opposed to what?”

“Should Seiya be free to travel to Earth?” Kitayama broached a subject that most on Kinmoku were loathe to speak. There was still a great deal of shame attached to what Seiya did on Earth that warm August day.

“I see no problem with that. I firmly believe that Seiya is no threat to anyone.”

“I hope you words do not come back to haunt you.” Kitayama signed the release papers and handed them to Amamiya so he could do the same.

* * * * *

Naru was walking to her mother’s jewelry store, Osa-P, when she saw them. Makoto was laughing at something Nephrite has said. Nephrite had his arm about her waist, smiling from the depths of his soul. It made her sick. That should be her on Nephrite’s arm. She shouldn’t have to watch this, but she couldn’t stop. As the happy couple turned the corner, Naru picked up her pace. She could not let them get away. It was a habit, more like a compulsion that she developed. Whenever Naru saw Nephrite, she was compelled to follow him. This time was no different.

Makoto felt a chill run down her spine.

“Mako-chan are you alright? Are you cold?”

Makoto shook her head. “No, no. Nothing like that. I just have a really bad feeling.” She shrugged her shoulders. “It’s probably nothing.”

“You should leave the fortune telling to Rei.“ Nephrite pulled Makoto closer to him. “We’re almost there.”

Makoto’s mind was racing. Earlier, Nephrite said that he had a surprise for her. She tried to trick him into to telling her to no avail. They continued their walk through downtown. Naru stayed about one hundred feet behind, not wanting to be noticed.

“Come on Mako-chan. We’re here.”

“And where exactly is here?” Makoto looked at the building in front of her. It was somewhat non-descript. There were no markings or signs, not even a window. All she could be was a brick front and a steel door. Makoto wondered what kind of place Nephrite was taking her.

Naru was standing across the street when Nephrite and Makoto stopped. “That’s -- that’s Tonegawa’s shop. What are they doing there?” Naru said to no one in particular. She then saw Nephrite lead Makoto in by the hand. “Hmpf, I can’t very well go in there. Tonegawa-san doesn’t have normal business hours. He sees people by appointment only.”

Naru looked around for a café or a shop to wait out Nephrite’s little excursion. ‘Damn,’ she thought, ‘All that there is around here are high end jewelry --’ Naru surveyed her surroundings much more carefully. She realized that she was in Juuban’s diamond district. There was only one reason that a man would bring a woman to this area.

“Damn it!” Naru exclaimed. Passers-by gave her strange looks. Mothers pulled their children closer to them. “This is not happening. I won’t let this happen.” Naru abandoned her mission to follow Nephrite. She would resume at another time. Naru was more concerned with ridding herself of one Amazonian rival.

* * * * *

Seiya stood in front of Crown and took a deep breath. ‘It’s been too long.’

He looked through the window to see if someone he knew was inside. He wasn’t ready to see any of them just yet. It was still too soon. He didn’t want to cause a panic. Seiya knew that none of them would be able to forget what he had done the day of Usagi’s wedding. The memory of that would live with him until the end of his days. Seiya shook his head. There would be no thoughts of the past. What was done was done. There could be no changing that. He looked at the date on his watch. It was May 15. Usagi’s birthday was coming up. Perhaps, he would send her a present.

* * * * *

Nephrite and Makoto sat in the waiting room. The man Nephrite was waiting on was running late. Apparently the client before them was being difficult. Tonegawa’s secretary informed them that he would be seeing them shortly. Makoto picked up one the few magazines available to her. The cover featured an article about unrest in central Africa affecting exportation. She thumbed through it. Finding it quite dull, she placed it in its original position.

“Nephrite, what are we doing here? I thought we were going out to eat.”

Nephrite smiled at the woman who had captured his heart. “Patience, my love. Patience.”

A stout balding man emerged from behind a locked door. “Nephrite-san, how are you doing today?”

“Tonegawa-san. I am exceeding well. Let me introduce Kino Makoto-san.”

Tonegawa gawked at Makoto’s height. He then took her hand and placed an innocent kiss on the back of it. “If I were a few years younger and a few feet taller, I’d give you a run for your money Nephrite-san.”

“I take it you approve,” Nephrite replied.

Tonegawa laughed. “You’re just lucky you found her first.” He walked over to the door from whence he came. “Follow me. I have some designs to show you.”

Makoto returned to her chair, resigning herself to waiting until Nephrite was finished his business with Tonegawa. “Nephrite, I’ll wait here until your done.”

Nephrite pulled Makoto out of the chair. “Who said you were staying here? I desperately need your opinion on these designs. It’s of the utmost importance that you are in agreement.”

Makoto shrugged her shoulders. “If you say so.” She followed her lover and his associate into the backroom.

* * * * *

Seiya took a second look at the envelope. This was the place. He walked up to the door and rang the bell. ‘Maybe I should have called,’ Seiya thought.

He looked at the envelope once more, to be certain he was not disturbing some unsuspecting person. Seiya had the right address. Apparently, no one was home. He decided that he’d take a walk and come back later. When Seiya turned, he saw a figure, a female figure, approaching.

“Seiya Kou, I was wondering when you would get here?” Naru smiled, unlocking her front door.

Seiya walked into the small house. It was decorated neatly, not a frame out of place. He sat on the sofa, examining his hostess closely.

“I just wanted to thank you for the letter. It really made a difference.” Seiya lowered his head as he spoke. “If it weren’t for you, I don’t think I’d be here.”

Naru rolled her eyes. She did not have time to waste on the pretty boy’s emotional displays. Hopefully Seiya would not make her regret bringing him back to Tokyo. “Don’t go getting all emotional Seiya. I simply wanted you to know that I understood your plight. Having the one you love stolen from you is never easy.”

Seiya’s head jerked to attention. Despite the fact he was madly in love with Usagi, Seiya knew that she was never really his. Naru, on the other hand, seemed to believe that she had truly been wronged. “Stolen, what do you mean by stolen?”

“Chiba Mamoru stole Usagi from you just like Kino Makoto stole Nephrite from me.”

“Naru-san, Usagi was never mine to steal. I know that now. Her heart always belonged to Mamoru-san. I never had a chance.”

Naru laughed. “You are pathetic.” She walked over to Seiya and bent over so that her mouth was right next to his ear. “Haven’t you ever wondered what would have happened if Mamoru was gone? Tell me you haven’t fantasized about his demise, and you being the one to console Usagi,” Naru whispered.

She saw a flicker in Seiya’s blue eyes. Naru knew she had struck a chord. Seiya was no more over Usagi than she was over Nephrite. He definitely was the right choice.

“I can give you what you want Seiya,” Naru seductively uttered, “What you need.”

Seiya looked in Naru’s eyes. For a moment, he was startled. He could not identify the emotion deep within. The senshi in him was screaming to get out while he had the chance. The man in him compelled him to stay.

“What is it you have in mind?”

* * * * *

Makoto looked at her left hand in amazement. On her ring finger was a flawless square cut solitaire in a platinum Tiffany setting. She still could not believe that Nephrite asked her to marry him. This time they would get a chance to live the life they were denied so many years ago. The awestruck thunder senshi sighed as she pondered her future with the man she loved.

Usagi walked into Crown. Noticing her friend staring off in the distance, she decided to find out what was going on.

“Mako-chan…” Usagi waved her hand in front of Makoto’s face. She got no response. “MA-KO-CHAN!”

Makoto startled. “Usagi-chan, what are you doing here?”

Usagi chuckled. “I could ask you the same thing.” The bubbly blond sat down across from Makoto. The auburn-haired woman reached for a napkin, when a sparkle caught Usagi’s eye. “Oh…my…God…”

“What?” Makoto asked obliviously.

“When were you going to tell me?”

“Tell you what?”

“About this!” Usagi grabbed her friend’s left hand.

Makoto realized that she hadn’t told anyone that she was officially engaged. The smile that appeared on her face told Usagi everything that she needed to know. Usagi was happy for Makoto. Even though she never mentioned it, Usagi often felt guilty about her life with Mamoru. She knew what her friends had during the Silver Millennium. She also knew of the emptiness that had been their constant companion. Usagi only wish was that her friends would know the kind of love that she and Mamoru shared.

“It just happened last night. Nephrite told me that we were going out for dinner. Instead of a restaurant, Nephrite took me to see Tonegawa Hoji.”

“Tonegawa Hoji…he’s one of the country’s most renowned jewelers.”

“I didn’t know that last night. I just thought that he was another one of Nephrite’s business associates. So imagine by surprise when a tray of custom made rings was shown to me.”

“A whole tray?”

Makoto nodded. “Twenty-five rings, and I had my pick.”

Usagi pouted. First it was Kunzite and that scene at Jove’s Garden. Now, Nephrite went and had twenty-five rings custom made for Makoto to take her pick. She felt cheated. Mamoru’s proposal was romantic enough: roses, candlelight, and soft music. But when compared to what her friends had gotten, she couldn’t help but feel under-appreciated.

“How come everyone is getting these incredible proposals? Even Minako’s debacle was amazing. All I got was a candlelit dinner.”

“I seem to remember the Tokyo Symphony Orchestra playing in the background. And what about the private midnight cruise that your paltry dinner was on? And what about--”

“Okay, I got it. I’ll stop complaining.” The two young women laughed.

Usagi and Makoto enjoyed their lunch, blissfully unaware of a less than happy individual watching their exchange.

* * * * *

“So, what’s the verdict?” Mamoru took a sip of his Southern Comfort and cranberry juice.

“It looks like I’m the next one down the aisle.” Nephrite was nervously fingering his ponytail. Mamoru looked at him strangely. This was not the man that he knew. Even if Nephrite was uneasy, he never let it show.

“Nephrite, what’s wrong? I thought that this is what you wanted.”

Nephrite looked into the eyes of his concerned prince. There was no tactful way to say what he was feeling. Realizing he would have to say something, he finally answered Mamoru. “I do. I do. It’s just that I was just remembering your wedding. I don’t want anything to happen to ruin Makoto’s special day.”

Mamoru nodded knowingly. “In my own defense, Usagi’s day wasn’t ruined per say. I would say that it was full of character.”

“Don’t you mean CHARACTERS?” Nephrite and Mamoru shared a laugh. “I’m serious though. What if someone tries to disrupt the wedding? I have many enemies; it wouldn’t surprise me if they attempted to hurt me by hurting Makoto.”

Mamoru chuckled. “What enemies Nephrite? This is a different era. All your enemies were decimated with the Silver Millennium.”

Nephrite cast a dangerous glance at Mamoru. “All I know is that my soul is uneasy. Something, or someone, is lurking, waiting for the opportunity to strike.”

“Did you get that from the stars?”

“Mock me if you want. I hope you’re right about this.” Nephrite looked at his rum and Coke.

“Listen, there aren’t any crazed men trying to take Makoto from you, so there’s nothing to worry about.”

Seiya sat at the other end of the bar watching the commiseration between Nephrite and Mamoru. Naru had promised to help him get rid of Mamoru if he’d aid in the disappearance of Makoto. Seiya was conflicted. On one hand there was Usagi, the only bright spot in his dreary existence. He would do anything to have her in his life. Seiya thought that Mamoru could never appreciate the kind of woman Usagi was. Then there was Makoto. She defended him to Haruka and the other senshi of the outer solar system. She had known so much loss. Seiya was not sure that he should do this. However, he could not pass up the chance to be with Usagi.

Seiya was so into his internal argument that he almost missed the exit of Nephrite and Mamoru. He placed a few bills on the bar to cover his tab and commenced following the object of Naru’s desire.


* * * * *

“What time were they supposed to be here?” Makoto asked. She and Usagi were waiting for their men. In the few minutes Usagi was privy to Makoto’s engagement, she had gone into overdrive. Usagi and Makoto called their men and told them to get to Crown as soon as possible. There was a wedding to plan and not much time to do it. It was already May. Nephrite had expressed a desire to be wed before the coming of the next year. Makoto did not like the idea of getting married in the winter. There was that big gift giving holiday. She did not want to compete with such a behemoth. That left either summer, which was upon them, or fall.

<<DING>>

Usagi and Makoto instinctively knew who had entered. Mamoru and Nephrite each sat next to the one that captured their hearts. The men were greeted by gentle kisses on the cheek. Mamoru and Nephrite listened as Usagi and Makoto rambled on about colors and dress styles.

“Exactly why am I here? I’ve gone through this already,” Mamoru whispered across the table to Nephrite.

“To keep me from stabbing myself in the eye with a straw,” Nephrite replied.

“We heard that,” Usagi and Makoto said in unison. The men smiled shamefacedly. The wedding planners let the remarks slide. There were more pressing issues at hand, like who was going to officiate.

Seiya and Naru sat at a booth on the other side of the eating establishment. They watched the two couples ramble on about the virtues and vices of an extravagant wedding. Usagi placed her head on Mamoru’s chest. He sighed contently as his wife recalled all she went through planning her wedding. Mamoru wrapped his arms around the petite blond, nodding when appropriate. Seiya observed the interactions between Usagi and her husband. His logical mind told him that he would have to be certifiable to try to separate them.

“Do you see that?” Naru asked. “They’re over there planning that wench’s wedding.” Naru looked on as Makoto flashed her engagement ring for all to see. Nephrite was smiling bashfully as Mamoru made some remark about Nephrite setting the bar too high. Makoto swatted at Mamoru, telling him that he was going to have to do something spectacular for Usagi if he wanted to stay in her good graces. The four laughed and continued their discussion. Naru internally cringed every time Makoto touched Nephrite. Her heart bled each time Nephrite affectionately ran his fingers through her auburn hair. Naru thought momentarily of shaving Makoto’s head, but then decided that would not be enough to sate her rage.

“Naru, how are you going to stop it though?” Seiya watched Naru carefully. This woman was less stable than anyone could have imagined. He could see the pain and the rage in her eyes. This was no longer about love; it was about revenge.

“Simple, you are going to kidnap Makoto.”

Seiya nearly spit out his drink. “What in the hell do you mean kidnap Makoto?! Have you forgotten what happened the last time I was here? How do you propose --”

“Don’t use that word in the same breath as that wench’s name.”

Seiya rolled his eyes. “Whatever. As I was saying, how am I supposed to do that? In case you haven’t noticed, Makoto isn’t exactly a weak woman.”

Naru sighed. This man was getting on her nerves. He had no vision. “I have that covered. Just do what I say and everything will be fine.”


* * * * *

Makoto was adjusting well to life as an engaged woman. She glanced at her ring as she prepared dinner.

<<BUZZ>>

‘Who could that be?’ Makoto wiped her hands on her apron. “Coming.” She made her way to the door. Makoto opened the door.

“What the…”

* * * * *

Makoto’s head was throbbing. She didn’t know what happened. All she remembered was opening her apartment door and receiving the shock of her life.

“Hello…is anybody there?” Makoto called out. She looked around the room she was in. It was rather small. All that was in the room was a bed, a desk and a chair. Frustrated, Makoto began banging on the door. Someone had to be around. She didn’t get here by herself.

“Hello! Damn it!” Makoto sat down on the bed. She tried to remember how she wound up in this small room. Makoto remembered chopping vegetables in the kitchen. Then the doorbell rang. She walked to the door and saw…Seiya. Seiya Kou was standing outside her door, but he was supposed to be at The Lighthouse. It couldn’t have been Seiya. Makoto didn’t know why she was in the small room.

“Somebody, please, let me out.” Makoto considered using her henshin wand, then decided against. She did not know who confined her, so she could not risk revealing her secret.

The solid wooden door creaked open. “Makoto, are you alright?”

“Who is it? Who’s there?” Makoto jumped up and grabbed the chair.

“Makoto, put the chair down. It won’t do you any good.” The speaker slowly entered the room.

“Seiya…what are…why the hell did you bring me here?” Makoto was outraged. Seiya all but ruined Usagi’s wedding day, now he had abducted her.

“Calm down. If you do everything that I tell you, you’ll live. If you give me any trouble, I can’t be responsible for what happens.” Seiya took the chair from a very shocked Makoto. Placing it on the floor, he sat down. Seiya eyed the room Makoto now occupied. In his heart he knew that this was wrong but he was in too deep to back out now.

Noticing the grimace on Seiya’s face, Makoto spoke up. “I know this isn’t the Ritz, but it looks like I’m stuck here. By the way, why am I here?”

“To put it plainly, Naru wants Nephrite back.” Seiya stood up and walked toward the door. “Just take it easy. So far, Naru wants you alive. Don’t push it though.” Seiya locked the door behind him.

Makoto was speechless. Naru was behind all this. Ever since Usagi’s wedding, Makoto worried about Naru. What Naru shared with Nephrite was intense. Back then, Makoto envied what they shared. She wanted so badly to return to the days before the end of the Silver Millennium, back when she and Nephrite were in love. Now, it was the end of the Silver Millennium all over again. There was always something interfering with her happiness. Makoto was not going to let it happen again.

* * * * *

Nephrite sped down the highway on his way home from work. It had been a long day at the office. The seafood was delivered too late and the produce was delivered too early. He had spent most of the day one the phones trying to straighten out the mess. Nephrite was looking forward to a quiet evening at home with his fiancée.

Nephrite approached the door to the apartment that he shared with Makoto. He realized the door was open.

“Mako-chan,” Nephrite called out as he cautiously entered the apartment. The smell of burned food and smoke assaulted his nostrils. He rushed to the kitchen and turned off the burners. Once again, he called out for Makoto. Once again, there was no response. Nephrite was getting nervous. Makoto was not the type to leave a meal to burn. He left the kitchen to find the cordless phone. Nephrite pushed the buttons, checking the Caller ID. The last call that came in was from his office phone that morning. It was now after seven.

“I have to find her.” Nephrite rushed out of the apartment as quickly as he entered.
*
*
*
*
*
AN: Okay, before you get the pitchforks out, let me say that I was NOT going to stop here. I hit a wall and decided to regroup. This is what you get now. Hopefully, I can finish what should have been the second half of the chapter soon.

Until next time,

The Deadly Diva