Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Neptune: Year One ❯ II ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
-Neptune: Year One-

Disclaimer: I do not own the series Sailor Moon or the character Sailor Neptune. Both are owned by Naoko Takeuchi.

--

-II-

“Inexcusable. Simply inexcusable,” Principal Ichi said, the old nun cleaning her glasses with a lace handkerchief as she looked out the window of her office overlooking the small chapel dedicated to the Blessed Virgin. Turning away from the window, she put her wire framed glasses back on and looked down at the aqua-haired girl sitting in the chair before her. “A school exit pass is not something to be taken lightly, young lady, nor is the responsibility that goes along with it. You, your mother, and the school board all vouched for your seriousness and responsibility, and what happened? You never even went to the audition yesterday.”

Michiru silently watched as the old nun paced back and forth before her. She had been around her mother, as well as various nannies and other adults long enough to have learned that when one gets worked up enough, it was best to simply sit back and wait until they’ve said their peace before trying to defend herself. Instead, she began to focus on the nun as an artist would study a model, biding her time until her principal was finished.

“That a young child prodigy, no, more, a genius such as yourself should be so flippant about the talents our Lord has bestowed upon her…”

A normal oval wouldn’t do for Principal Ichi’s face. A square? Yes, definitely. If Michiru drew a rough sketch of a square, and then divided it into roughly three equally spaced horizontal lines, the mouth would fall very neatly on the bottom line, followed by her round and rather upturned nose on the middle line, and the eyes on the top line. The box would then end right where Principal Ichi’s habit began.

“You say you wish to share your talents with the world, which is all well and good, but…”

Her body shape was best comparable to a summer squash, especially with the way she widened near the bottom and had so little showing on top. Of course, that could be just as much an illusion caused by her wearing a nun’s habit than actual genetics or diet. The habit itself was of a light slate grey coloring, the sun shining in from outside casting light cadmium yellow highlights on her head and shoulder and dark Prussian blue shadows in the folds of her uniform. Her face was a mixture of alizarin crimson, yellow ochre, and…

“Well Michiru, speak up. What do you have to say for yourself?”

Michiru stood up from the chair, crossing her hands before her as she addressed her principal. “Principal Ichi-sama, I thank you for for your concern, and as you’re well aware I do deeply regret missing my chance to audition for the Takarazuka Revue. However, I have already explained to you and Sister Agatha what happened.”

“Yes, of course,” Principal Ichi said dismissively, “The two girls who supposedly caused a traffic incident…”

Michiru narrowed her eyes. “Principal Ichi-sama, I’m earning top grades in all my classes, am the starter for the swim team, and have yet to earn a single behavioral demerit.”

“True, but then it’s only October isn’t it?”

“Principal Ichi-sama, one missed music audition does not make a delinquent, nor does it indicate in any way a flippant disregard for my gifts on my part.”

“I see…” Principal Ichi said. Going back to her desk, she picked up a manila folder containing Michiru’s records. “Tell me, why did you not enroll your name in the freshmen mentoring program?”

Michiru was surprised by the change in topic. “I’m sorry?”

“Our school, as well as several other Catholic girl schools in the diocese, have programs and traditions in place where young girls place themselves under the guidance of older girls, to watch over them and help guide them as they mature into young ladies. I can still remember my sponsor when I was your age. Then, as now, we referred to our mentors as onee-sama. My onee-sama was named Chikasi, and she was everything I wasn’t. Patient, studious…”

“Ichi-sama,” Michiru interrupted, “With all due respect, my school activities leave little enough time as it is for personal time without my being asked to humor a junior or senior trying to be my older sister.”

“Oh?”

“If we are going to talk, let’s be honest. I’m an only child of a broken home, and I think I’ve done rather well for myself so far. I didn’t put myself on any mentoring list because, for me, I felt it to be a waste of time. After all, my roommate Takayo-chan has a mentor, and the only time they spend together is on weekends when her ‘onee-sama’ takes her out shopping so Takayo-chan can help her pick out clothes. I’m sorry Ichi-sama, but I simply do not see the need for an onee-sama in my case. What could I hope to learn from such a person?”

Principal Ichi raised an eyebrow. “Humility, perhaps?”

Michiru had no response for that one.

“Pride preceedeth the fall, Michiru-chan,” Principal Ichi said with raised finger. “No, my mind’s made up. You shall have a mentor, and…” the nun was interrupted by the telephone. Irritated at having been cut off in the middle of her lecture, she picked the receiver up brusquely. “Moshi moshi, I… What?” she asked, the blood draining from her face as her jaw hung open for a second. “But… But when? How did it happen?”

Michiru noted the principal’s look of consternation with concern, “Principal Ichi-sama?”

“Where? The library? I… Wait, hold on.” Covering the receiver with her hand, she looked over to Michiru. “You’re dismissed Michiru-chan. We’ll discuss this more later.”

Michiru turned around and left hurriedly, the last thing she heard before leaving the Principal Ichi’s office was her asking over the phone if somebody’s parents had been notified yet. The bell rang for second period, and she hurried to class, relieved at the prospect of loosing herself in world history.

When she got to class though, the room was all abuzz as girls whispered and giggled amongst themselves. When they noticed Michiru enter the room, the talking stopped. Puzzled, the young freshman took her seat and turned to her neighbor. “Noriko-chan, what’s everyone gossiping about?”

“You, of course,” Noriko responded, “It’s only October, and you’re already in trouble with Principal Ichi.”

Michiru shook her head and sighed.

“I wouldn’t worry too much about it though,” Noriko added, “Someone else is bound to screw up sooner or later, and then no one will bother whispering about you anymore.”

“Gee, thanks,” Michiru said acerbically. Looking around the classroom, she noticed an empty desk. “Noriko-chan, do you know where Aya is?”

Noriko shook her head. “Maybe she’s sick?”

Just then the door opened, and Sister Yukiko came in. Michiru and the others all stood and bowed their greetings before sitting back down. The nun looked out at her class and took a deep breath. “Girls, before we begin classes today, I’m afraid I have some bad news. Your classmate Aya Wakayama has suffered what appears to be a heart attack on the second floor of the school library.”

A collective gasp was issued by the shocked students.

“We weren’t even aware that the poor girl had any sort of congenitive heart issues, and this comes as a shock to everyone. So this Sunday, at church, please keep young Aya in your prayers. Now then, please open up your books to page eighty-five, and we’ll try to go on with today’s lesson.”

Michiru was dumbstruck. Aya was a fourteen year old freshman like herself and sang tenor in the girl’s choir, how could she have suffered a heart attack?

Later, in lunch, Aya’s heart attack was the big topic of interest, and Michiru’s troubles with Principal Ichi were all but forgotten. While Michiru was giggling at a joke an older student at her table had just made, Miyuki Asami came into the cafeteria. Once again, Michiru felt herself involuntarily noting the gymnast’s body, and quickly looked back down at her tray to try to ignore the feelings she was having.

“Hello, are you Michiru Kaioh-san?”

Michiru looked up. There was Miyuki, standing next to her with a tray in her hand and a smile beaming on her face. “Hai,” she answered, trying her hardest not to blush, “I’m Michiru.”

“Good,” Miyuki said, setting her tray next to Michiru’s. “I just got done talking to Principal Ichi. I’m your new onee-sama.”

--

“Miyuki Asami?” Takayo asked wide-eyed, “The hero of St. Agatha’s jymnastic team is your onee-sama?”

Michiru nodded, sitting on her bed as she sketched her roommate. “Yes, she’s my onee-same. Now sit still and stop fidgeting.”

“But do you know how lucky you are?” she asked. “Between you and me,” she whispered, “I happen to know of one or two perverted girls who have romantic crushes on her.”

-Snap-

“Michiru-chan, why’d you just snap your pencil in half?”

“Slipped,” the freshman replied as she sweat dropped. “Let’s forget about sketching you for awhile,” she said as she put her sketch book down. “Besides, your onee-sama is coming, and she’s pretty upset about something.”

Takayo looked confused. “Chieko-sama? How do you know she…” a knock on the door interrupted Michiru’s room mate. Getting up, Takayo opened the door to see that her onee-sama, Chieko, was indeed standing out in the hallway looking apprehensive. “Onee-sama? What’s wrong?”

“I… I thought you should know, since you and she were both classmates. The news just came in. Aya… Aya passed away just fifteen minutes ago.”

“No,” Michiru gasped.

“Well… Well how? Why?”

“I’m not sure myself Takayo-chan,” Chieko answered, adding in a slightly lower voice, “But already some pretty wild rumors are starting to circulate. The most ridiculous one so far is that Aya went hysterical in her last minutes, saying stuff about monsters and heart crystals before she finally passed away. Crazy, huh?”

“I’ll say,” Takayo nodded. “Thank you for giving us the news.”

“Sure. I’m just sorry it was such bad news,” Chieko replied with a sad expression before turning around to leave the dorm room.

Takayo turned to Michiru, eyeing her roommate suspiciously. “How? How did you know my onee-sama was coming with bad news?”

Michiru looked almost as mystified as Takayo. “I don’t know,” she admitted, “Somehow, I just did.”

--

With dread, she knew she was having the same dream again. The city and people were silhouetted against the red sky as the darkness raced closer. Except this time, she wasn’t watching from any hill. She was in the city itself, frozen in place with the others around her as building and people crumbled around her. And this time, there was no woman with a staff nearby to defend her. As the darkness reached her, she closed her eyes and let out a scream.

Opening her eyes, she found herself on all fours coughing up blood. Her arms were covered in cuts and scratches, and while she couldn’t see it, it felt like her left eye was swollen shut. Her chest ached, and she wasn’t sure but she thought she might have broken a rib.

“Can you move?”

She turned with a groan to see the speaker. The woman’s form was obscured both by shadows and Michiru’s blurred vision, but she was able to make out a puddle of blood underneath the figure. All around them, flames rose up into the darkened sky as terrified screams could be heard. She could also make out, far to the right, a palace in burning ruins.

She nodded her head weakly.

“Good,” the woman responded as she limped painfully towards her. “If we are to die my love, let us die fighting,” she groaned, the lights from the flames around them highlighting her sandy blonde hair as her face was just about to come out of the shadows...

--

“Michiru-chan, wake up!”

Michiru woke up, tears rolling down her cheeks as her roommate held her close. “T… Takayo-chan?”

“You were having a nightmare,” the redhead whispered as she handed over some tissue. “Your crying woke me up.”

Michiru wiped her eyes, “Arigato, Takayo-chan. I’m sorry to have woken you.”

“It’s okay,” her roommate said soothingly as she softly patted her on the back, “What with Aya’s death, it’s a wonder I’m not having bad dreams as well. Are you going to be alright?”

“Hai, thank you,” Michiru sighed. “I just have to go to the bathroom again.”

Takayo smiled, “Okay. I’m going back to bed then. Just turn off the light for me, okay?”

Michiru nodded, apologizing again as Takayo yawned and crawled back into her bed. Getting up, Michiru turned off the lamp next to her on the bed stand and felt her way cautiously in the darkness to the bathroom door. She opened the door, crept in, shut the door behind her back, and turned on the light switch.

She turned around to find she was no longer in her bathroom though. All around her was a foggy mist, and from what she could see she was in some sort of strange alien landscape. Turning around quickly, she watched as the bathroom door disappeared.

“Michiru Kaioh.”

Michiru turned back again to see the woman from the strange dream the night before. “Oh no,” she whimpered. “I’m having one of those dreams, aren’t I?”

The woman tilted her head a bit to the side, “One of those dreams?”

Michiru put her hand to her forehead and nodded. “Yes, one of those dreams where you think you’ve woken up, but you’re really still asleep. I hate these kinds of dreams.”

The strange woman’s lips curled up ever so slightly, “I see. Tell me then, have you ever before conversed within a dream over the fact that you didn’t appreciate the type of dream you were having?”

Michiru looked at the woman closely, looked around at the strange land they were currently inhabiting, then looked back with a tinge of fear at the woman with the staff. A sinking feeling took hold of her as she reached over and pinched her arm, a small cry escaping as she winced at the pain.

“This… is real,” she whispered as she sank to the ground, her legs suddenly feeling weak as jelly.

“Yes, it is,” the woman answered as she walked over to her. “We don’t have much time. My name is Pluto.”

-To Be Continued-