Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Past and Present ❯ Past and Present ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The next edition of the Past and Present series. Please enjoy.
 
Disclaimer: Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon belongs officially to Naoko Takeuchi.
 
Past and Present
Serenarey Chiba
PG.-13
Chapter One
 
Earth's Moon, Moon Kingdom - May 21, 976, Silver Millennium
 
A comet shot in the dark matters of space as people in the Moon Kingdom rose to begin another day. Lights flickered on in the palace and village and soldiers from the night sentry traded places with the day sentry. Birds all around began to chirp and squawk their calls, making various caretakers and gardeners smile. Rays of sunlight glinted through the palace windows into the corridors and halls, making various statues and paintings take on a sparkle. One room in particular, in the east wing of the palace, had a window where the rays shone on just it and other fittings around it. Inside the room, one could hear a series of beeps and other odd sounds coming from the medical equipment running. In a large, polished room made to house over two hundred soldiers at once, laid a young woman with long golden-blonde hair sleeping on one of the many beds. Several wires were attached to her arms, chest, and head - the breathing apparatus has been moved a day before.
 
The sunlight glittered through another large window inside the room and its rays poured over the young sleeping woman. Her breathing was rhythmic as her chest rose up and down with each breath. Her eyes opened slowly when a sudden noise erupted at the window. Her head turned to glance out the window just as a small bird slipped down the glass. Her eyes narrowed slightly and she swallowed, her throat parched. Lifting a hand to lay it on her forehead, the young lady sighed, taking a deep breath and releasing it slowly. She sat up quickly, and looked around. Closing her eyes, she smiled. “I am Tsukino Usagi, and I am alive.”
 
Usagi laughed, her melodic laughter echoing throughout the room. She felt great, but her thoughts turned into a different direction as she wondered where she was now. Frowning, Usagi plucked off various wires from her body and glanced around the large room, her curiosity piqued. Looking at her clenched fists in her lap, Usagi remembered that as her spirit had flew around, she had seen the Moon Kingdom, and various colours of lights. Her eyes widened slightly. Could it be? Could she be in the Moon Kingdom?
 
Pushing the covers aside, Usagi swung her legs over the side of the bed, and walked to the window, long golden hair floating behind her. Frowning slightly as she looked at her image in the window, her eyes widened when noticed a glint of gold on her forehead. Lifting her hand to touch the golden crescent moon on her forehead, Usagi stared at her image in awe. Forcing herself to look at the rest of her body, Usagi took note of the expensive clothing she wore, and she looked down at the floor, deep in thought. She was in the Moon Kingdom, and apparently was Princess Serenity. “But if I'm Princess Serenity,” she whispered to herself, “where is the real Princess Serenity? Could she be me in the future, or am I taking this entirely out of proportion? Maybe this is a dream.”
 
She took some skin between two of her fingers and squeezed it. Letting out a small gasp of pain, Usagi sighed. No, she wasn't in a dream. It was very much reality. Turning around, Usagi took another look at the large medical room, and thought more about her fix. She was Tsukino Usagi, in Princess Serenity's body, in the Moon Kingdom that was destroyed a thousand years before her own time. “This is bad,” Usagi said to herself. “This, is very bad.”
 
Her attention shifted as the door to the medical room slid open on the other side of the room. Usagi blinked in surprise when she saw Ami, Rei, Makoto, and Minako enter the room. Her first reaction would have been to run at them with her arms open, but these weren't the women who she fought with in the future, and besides, was it really becoming of a `princess' to do that here? She watched Minako, a girl with long pale blonde hair and a red bow holding it up and sky-blue eyes, point at her with glowing features, and the other young ladies smiled brightly. Usagi made herself smile back at them, at a loss of whatever else she could do.
 
Minako ran up to her and hugged her, smiling. “Why are you out of bed, Sere-chan? You should still be in bed!”
 
Ami, a girl with short blue hair and dark ocean-blue eyes, nodded. “Mina-chan is right, you know. You've been asleep the past four days!”
 
Usagi frowned, taking that information and tucking it away in her mind for later. Making herself smile, she laughed. “Four days? Is that so? I guess I was really tired!”
 
Another young woman with dark raven hair and violet eyes - Rei - looked at Usagi with a smirk. “Maybe she thought she would get out of her duties if she kept sleeping, as lazy as she is!”
 
Usagi laughed hesitantly, tucking more information in the back of her mind: Rei had not changed a bit in the future. She was taken out of her thoughts when Makoto hugged her, hard. Usagi forced one eye open as the grip around her tightened. “Eh…Mako-chan,” she forced out as she struggled to breathe. “Choking me won't make me live longer, you know…”
 
Makoto, a young woman with dark chestnut-brown hair and emerald-green eyes, released Usagi, and rubbed the back of her head sheepishly. She rushed to apologize when Usagi leveled her gaze at her. “Sorry, sorry, Sere-chan! I really am, but it's just, we have all been so worried about you…”
 
Usagi looked away in guilt, even thought it wasn't quite her fault. The room went silent until Minako pulled everyone away towards the door. “Come on everyone! We should tell Queen Selenity-sama that Sere-chan is finally awake!”
 
Everyone said their good-byes as they moved back towards the door. Usagi waved toward them slowly, keeping her face bright for them. When they had finally gone out of the door and Usagi could no longer hear them, her smile fell and she thought deeply about her current situation. How long could she keep up the pretense of being a princess before she was caught, and maybe hanged for being a imposter? Then she remembered what had happened weeks before she had switched with Princess Serenity, and a gloom like a large shadow took hold over her. Turning to go to the window, she remembered the events and closed her eyes tightly.
 
For the past few months, Usagi had actually trained hard on her mind and body. She studied nonstop and when she wasn't studying, she was putting up a façade of complete happiness for everyone else. She slammed her head against the window, muttering under her breath. She hadn't realized that her silence worried everyone - she'd taken no notice of anything going around her at all. Big mistake, she yelled at herself, fuming. On top of that, she was beginning to regain memories from Princess Serenity, and those were constantly draining her energy. Then, on the night of the full moon, she had transformed into Princess Serenity suddenly without warning, and had stayed that way until the sun came up and the moon whispered away with the night.
 
“I had to remain outside for all of the night,” Usagi grumbled. “I didn't get any sleep, and had school the next morning on top of that!”
 
Slamming her head against the window once again, she muttered, “Why me? Why couldn't I have a normal life, and not a life unparalleled by anything…? The memories have given me so much to think about, I hadn't even known I was bothering the others…”
 
Usagi turned around frowning when she heard the medical room's door slide open to allow another in. Usagi's azure-blue eyes met the other's violet-blue ones with surprise. Queen Selenity-sama, Usagi thought in awe as she took in the other's complete appearance. The other woman, with long lavender hair swept up into the hairdo Usagi always wore, and a white sparkling gown trailing fitly down her body with a bow adorned to the bosom of the gown and a large crescent moon attached to the bow, Queen Selenity looked ethereal. Usagi stared at her, her mouth slightly opened with disbelief and Queen Selenity looked back at her, her eyes dancing with amusement.
 
Queen Selenity let a few chuckles go past her lips, and Usagi came out of her shock quickly. Unsure of what to do, she did a makeshift curtsy, almost falling on her face from never having really done it before. Queen Selenity was quick to help her balance, rushing to let her hands take both of Usagi's shoulders without hesitance. Usagi spared a quick look at the queen's face and found the amusement had completely left, letting concern take its place. Usagi glared down at the ground with disgust. Great, she thought. Now I'm even worrying Queen Selenity-sama. What is wrong with me?
 
Queen Selenity led her to the bed, frowning slightly. “Take it easy, Serenity, dear.”
 
Usagi allowed herself to be set down on the bed, and allowed one more moment to pass as Queen Selenity sat down beside her before Usagi jumped up, impatient with herself. Queen Selenity looked at her, alarm showing in her features. Usagi rubbed her temples, pacing around in a small circle. She was in the queen's presence, and acting like a complete nitwit. Princess Serenity-sama wouldn't be so stupid, Usagi thought. I can't even do a stupid curtsy, and if I can't do that, what was my training for? I am so stupid!
 
A hand on her shoulder brought Usagi's self-ranting to a stop. Usagi looked up at Queen Selenity in confusion, and the queen looked down at her, frowning. “You'll wear a trail in the floor if you continue at that pace, Serenity.”
 
Lovely, she had already made another mistake. Usagi bowed her head. “Yes ma'am. I am sorry and I promise to try not to do it again.”
 
Queen Selenity felt some guilt weigh in her heart, and she smiled at her `daughter.' “Now, now. What is all the formality you have bestowed me with? You have just woken up from an event that could have done away with your life. I am just happy that I can have such a loyal and doting daughter to depend on. You saved my life, Serenity, and many others. I thank you, from the bottom of my heart.”
 
Usagi looked at her, surprised yet again. Princess Serenity had saved everyone? When was this? Usagi nodded, smiling though still confused. “Yes, of course…mother.”
 
Queen Selenity laughed. “Now, why don't we go? Everyone has been worried about you these past four days.”
 
“All right!”
 
Tokyo, Japan - May 21, 1994, Present Millennium
 
The sun glinted over the Tsukino residence, making the trees and grass sparkle anew. Light shined in Usagi's room, glancing over her collection of stuffed animals on a shelf on one side of the room, and on a sleeping figure in a bed under the shelf. The desk next to her shone a sparkling brown in a surprising co-ordinance with the pink and white bunny walls, and white carpeted floor. Light breathing rang through the room, and the door creaked open slightly. Through the crack came a black cat with a crescent moon upon its forehead.
 
Luna jumped on the bed, looking sadly at the person lying in its depths. Her ruby-red eyes glanced at the person's face and she sighed, thoughts running through her head. Padding onto the person's body, Luna looked down at the person's face, her own only inches away. The person's breathing shuddered, and she opened her eyes slowly. Azure-blue eyes met ruby-red eyes, and Luna surprised, jumped back a bit, her fur rising. Calming quickly, Luna smiled, her eyes full of tears. “Usagi-chan? You're okay!”
 
Princess Serenity pushed herself up, frowning slightly in confusion. She ran a hand through the hair covering her face, quietly assessing the current situation. Remembering the past events that had taken her life, Serenity sighed, understanding that this was another chance for her, and that she shouldn't take it for granted as was. Looking at the scenery, she frowned. I must have reincarnated into someone else, Serenity thought, so my thoughts must be taking precedence over the owner of this body's. Glancing up, Serenity saw a cat that looked remarkably like Luna, the royal cat advisor in the Moon Kingdom. How can that be though, she continued to herself. If I am reincarnated, then how can Luna be right in front of me, alive and well?
 
Luna padded closer to her, frowning. “Usagi-chan?”
 
Serenity stared at her, confused. Luna and I were never on good terms, thought Serenity, and who was Usagi exactly? “Who is this `Usagi' you speak of, Luna-san? I am Princess Serenity, six hundred-seventy-second princess of the Lunarian bloodline of the Moon Kingdom. My mother was the six hundred-seventy-first princess, and is now the four hundred-nineteenth reigning queen. You know this.”
 
It was Luna's turn to stare. “What…? Princess Serenity-sama?”
 
Serenity smiled at her. “Yes, Luna-san?”
 
Luna continued staring at her before turning away and jumping off the bed. Walking over to the desk, Luna jumped on top of it, and pressed a button on the watch sitting there. Serenity regarded her with more confusion, though she masked it. Eight different voices erupted from the watch, much to Serenity's surprise. She caught tidbits here and there, but didn't understand what was really going on in any case. Luna issued a few orders into the communicator before looking back at Serenity, her eyes formally cold. “I will be right back. I must retrieve someone, Princess Serenity-sama.”
 
“Of course,” Serenity said slowly, unsure of Luna's actions.
 
Minutes later after Luna left the room, she came padding back with a young girl with pink hair and cinnamon-red eyes in tow. The girl shut the door, and stared at Serenity, frowning. Luna looked up at the girl. “Do you see, Chibi-Usa-chan?”
 
Chibi-Usa nodded her understanding, and walked over to Serenity, still frowning. Looking over on the desk, Chibi-Usa noticed the ginzuishou in the broach on the desk's surface, and glanced back at Serenity. “As stupid as Usagi-chan gets sometimes, I have to think you're even more stupid.”
 
Serenity looked at her shocked. Never had she been spoken to in such a disrespectful way. Pulling the covers off her quickly, Serenity stood up, looking down at the child coldly. “Excuse you? How dare you speak to me in such a way, child.”
 
Chibi-Usa stuck her tongue mockingly. Luna came to her side, eyes cold. “Sit down, Princess Serenity-sama.”
 
Serenity glanced at her, surprised yet again but sat down without confrontation. Luna turned to Chibi-Usa and glared at her. “And you, watch your mouth. Usagi is gone for a few days, and you're already reverting back to how you were when you came here the first time. This is unacceptable, Neo-Princess Serenity-sama.”
 
Chibi-Usa winced and Serenity stared at Luna. “N-neo?”
 
Chibi-Usa regarded her with annoyance. “Yeah. Usagi is the reincarnated form of you, and she's my mom in the future. In this time period, she is Pretty Sailor Soldier Sailormoon, vanquisher of all evil within this realm! I am Pretty Sailor Soldier Sailorchibimoon, vanquisher-in-training of all evil within this realm! She uses the ginzuishou -” Chibi-Usa pointed over at the broach on the desk, “to transform into Sailormoon. I used to think she was really stupid, what with how dumb she always acts, but she knows tons of stuff more than you about what she has to do. You're like a helpless baby.”
 
Serenity took in the information silently, her eyes wide. Her future self was a sailor senshi, and she fought every day, nonstop, all the time? That was unbelievable, and yet, it was true! Luna took her out of her thoughts by saying, “You are to temporarily take over Usagi's duties until she returns, and we are going to find out how your personas suddenly switched, and how long it will last. If Usagi is in the past, Queen Selenity-sama will help her, but you may have a tougher job.”
 
The astounded princess looked down, sighing. “Oh?”
 
“Twentieth century technology is different from tenth century technology. Due to unknown circumstances, we have begun from ground up and aren't as advanced as before. In addition to such, you are representing a high school teenager with terrible grades but an amazing outlook on life who finds the good in everything. There isn't much of a difference between your personalities, but you need to be warmer, especially with the senshi as they are in normal life. You have to be Usagi, not Princess Serenity and Usagi.”
 
Serenity looked at Chibi-Usa and Luna, understanding dawning. “Yes. I see. I will be Usagi. Just Usagi.”
 
Silver Millennium
 
Usagi glanced out of the corner of her eyes at the eating Queen Selenity before frowning down at the first course the servants had given her. While she wasn't too keen on vegetable soup, especially the carrots, she was very hungry and quite tempted to eat the garlic bread she had also been given. Looking at her many utensils, and then back at how elegantly Queen Selenity ate, Usagi found she wasn't very hungry suddenly. Usagi turned to look at Luna and Artemis eating their meal as well, and felt her stomach rumble. How long will I be able to keep this up, Usagi asked herself. I can't even eat.
 
Queen Selenity watched her, frowning. “Serenity?”
 
Her eyes widened slightly when Usagi turned around quickly, panicked. Setting her soup spoon down slowly, Queen Selenity concentrated solely on her daughter. “Serenity, you have been very jumpy since you woke up this morning. Is everything all right?”
 
Usagi chuckled hesitantly, not sure of what she could say without exposing her. “I am fine, mother! Do not worry. I am just so elated that I could be of some assistance to you, that I cannot eat at all!”
 
Queen Selenity and Usagi looked at each for a full minute, the servants nearby getting restless from the tension. Usagi felt sweat begin to slide down her face as she struggled to keep contact with the queen, but found herself losing the battle. Queen Selenity sat back, resigned. Her eyes closed as she opened her mouth to say something. Usagi, fearful that something bad was going to happen, quickly rushed to explain. “Please, Queen Selenity-sama! Allow me to explain what happened! Well, I'm not sure what happened, but I do know that your daughter and I switched places, so I can only guess she is in the future! If I could go back, I would! I am very sorry!”
 
Queen Selenity looked at her, shocked, before she began to laugh. Usagi and the servants looked at her, not sure what to make of the sudden lightheartedness from the queen. Usagi looked at Queen Selenity, very confused as to what was going on. “What…what is so funny, Your Majesty?”
 
Queen Selenity looked down at her, features bright as she smiled. “Do not worry, young one! I knew you were not truly my daughter, but was more or less waiting for a confession from you. It means nothing to know who you are not if the truth is not from your own mouth. Do you understand?”
 
Usagi stared at her more. “What? But..? You knew? How?”
 
Queen Selenity leaned forward to place a hand on Usagi's head, grinning. “It is very amazing - the technology we have! Who knew it was possible to listen in on the medical room from the speaker outside of the room?”
 
Red streamed across Usagi's cheeks, and she felt her body grow hot from embarrassment. “Oh, I see… That's right, I was talking to myself.”
 
“Hmm, yes, you are correct,” Queen Selenity conceded. “Did you think me so cruel of a ruler that I would imprison you or something to that degree for not being completely truthful?”
 
Usagi couldn't meet her eyes, and Queen Selenity sighed. “May I ask your name?”
 
“Tsukino Usagi. Please call me Usagi,” Usagi said in a reserved tone. Queen Serenity frowned slightly. “As long as you have no ill will to me, or anyone in this kingdom, I hold nothing against you. Do you understand, Usagi-san?”
 
Usagi nodded, and Queen Selenity gave her a soup spoon to eat with. Usagi looked at her in surprise, and received a warm smile in exchange. “Come, come now, Usagi-san. Eat up. You can tell me your story of who you are and how you came to be in my daughter's body after you finish.”
 
Her tone left no room for argument, and Usagi hid a smile, attacking her soup. I think I'll like it here just fine, she thought.
 
Present Millennium
 
Serenity sat at the low table in Rei's room at the shrine facing all the other senshi in their normal forms. Chibi-Usa refused to make eye-contact with her, and Luna chose not to speak warmly with her. A drop of sweat slid down the side of her face as she looked forward without hesitance. The only warm face that greeted her was Meioh Setsuna's, a woman with dark forest-green hair and garnet-red eyes, but hers was still a little reserved. Serenity looked down at her lap, her face troubled. Luna broke the silence:
 
“You have all been assembled here on account of Princess Serenity-sama being here, and because of the problem that exists from her very presence. Princess Serenity-sama will need to be trained on how to be Sailormoon, and while I will help, you need to help her even more, as she'll be fighting alongside of you. Take no notice if she acts indignant. You'll see Chibi-Usa-chan hasn't.”
 
Chibi-Usa frowned slightly before standing up and leaving the room. Mamoru glanced at Princess Serenity without any true interest and looked back at Luna. “So, Usako is in the Moon Kingdom, acting as Princess Serenity-sama?”
 
“Yes, Mamoru-san.”
 
“I see.”
 
Tenoh Haruka, a young woman with cropped dirty-blonde hair and blue-grey eyes, crossed her arms over her chest. Serenity looked at her, frowning. Haruka snorted, glaring. “We won't take it easy on you. I don't care if you were the queen herself, you will listen to us! Not doing so could get everyone killed. Usagi-chan knows that, so you should too.”
 
“Fine,” said Serenity, resolved. Haruka kept frowning at her before moving close to Kaiou Michiru, a young woman with aquamarine hair and eyes, and whispering, “We're going to die… Slowly and painfully…”
 
Michiru elbowed her hard and bowed down to Serenity. “Welcome aboard, princess.”
 
“Thank you.”
 
Luna stood up. “All right. Time for Phase One. Get ready.”
 
Silver Millennium
 
When Usagi came into the study via a servant, Queen Selenity was reading over a few papers concerning important matters. She waved in Usagi without looking up, and Usagi looked around the study. It was Queen Selenity's personal study, and no one except Princess Serenity, and now Usagi, had ever been allowed in addition to Queen Selenity. Silver waves floated throughout the room, and Usagi gasped in amazement. There was so much ancient magic hidden in the depths of the study that even if someone that wasn't Lunarian tried getting in, they would be killed from their first step inside. As she gaped at the surrounding, Queen Selenity set down her papers and looked in amusement.
 
Usagi looked back at her, curious as to what was so amusing. Queen Selenity chuckled before glancing around the study herself. “Serenity…was really astounded when she first saw this room a few years ago as well.”
 
Usagi caught the hint of sadness in Queen Selenity's voice and frowned. “You really miss her, don't you, Queen Selenity-sama?”
 
“Now, now,” Queen Selenity said, a smile on her face. “If I must call you Usagi, then you must call me by my name, Selenity. And yes, I miss my daughter very much, but I know she is in good hands.”
 
“I understand, Selenity-sam-” Usagi stopped when Queen Selenity leveled her gaze down on her. Usagi cleared her throat and began again. “Er, I understand, Selenity-san.”
 
Queen Selenity leaned forward, putting her elbows on the table. “Now, Usagi-san, if you could tell me your story?”
 
Usagi nodded, thinking to herself, I had better not tell her about the Moon Kingdom destruction part…at least not completely. Resolved, Usagi began:
 
“It started one thousand years after the collapse of the Moon Kingdom, when we were all reborn into the twentieth century…”
 
 
TBC -
 
Another chapter completely edited. Thank you.
 
3:41 PM 11/3/01
Edited: 12/26/2004 9:57:03 PM