Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Pretty Soldiers ❯ Act 24 - mugen un : Foreboding ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

       Eleven days was not a particularly monumental amount of time, hardly enough, one would protest, to actually strike up a good relationship for life; such trust has to be earned, in a span of time similar to the length of the Hundred Year War. You just don't go off and find your friend for life in eleven days; it's a fundamental fact of the universe.
       Of course, if one is Tsukino Usagi, or Aino Minako, or Kino Makoto, or perhaps approximately 1/2 0f Mizuno Ami or even a tenth of Hino Rei, then it's possible.
       Eleven days is the span of the Japanese school system's spring break; that magical time of year when the ankle biters are released from classes and indeed entire grades, and everyone is forced to sing 'Auld Lang Syne' once removed before being thrown out to watch the cherry blossoms bloom. Not a terrific span of time - summer vacation, merely three months away, is six weeks - but enough to take a breather.
       The end of the school year, of eighth grade for these girls in question, came only a week after their triumphant defeat of the Black Moon, giving them a pleasant reprieve from scholarly pursuits as well as getting the a-holey shit beat out of them for the third consecutive time. It was a miracle and wondrous, and they lived every minute of it to the fullest.
       It was also a time to collectively stew and get to know one another even better, because, let's face it; being buddies because of the uniform is nice and all, but hardly grounds for a lifelong friendship. They had known enough to like each other quite well, even get along for the most part, but what, they pondered, made her/her/him tick? What punched her buttons? Were there any major felonies to be known of?
       Of course not, though Minako did qualify for several offenses from her days as Sailor V: destruction of property on more than one occasion, impersonation, attacking an officer...
       But it was for a good cause, so it isn't important in the least.
       Needless to say, it was eleven days of popcorn and bad movies and good movies and sleepovers and concerts. Usagi and Minako and Makoto loved J-Pop, although they all lusted after Dir En Gray, while Ami claimed no taste for music though she too, secretly, enjoyed Morning Musume. Rei was a classical music girl, of the Beethoven sort; and when they dragged Alex and Mamoru into their arguments, Alex seemed to like everything but classical, and Mamoru was content with anything with a melody.
       All five girls enjoyed foreign films, though their taste for plot was varied; where Usagi, Makoto, and Minako loved romances and comedies, Ami enjoyed biographical studies, and Rei was entranced with, oddly enough, Disney. They went to every show they could afford, with Usagi and Chibi-Usa clinging to each of Mamoru's arms, and Alex offering scathing commentary between the original script and the questionable translations at the French and American and British movies; though she said Monty Python was all the more hilarious for the flubbing.
       In a group, they dined at a few of the city's trendy restaurants, sampling Italian and Greek and French, the bill paid for unfailingly by Alex.
       Days were spent roaming the shops and boutiques, hours in changing rooms alone as the girls posed and preened in their outfits; not surprising was their choice of colours. Ami was finally driven into buying a blue button-up dress that flattered her figure and was something she would never consider without such help; though she was pleased with the result, at the end. They had to almost forcibly keep her away from her mock exams and tests, however, on the stern directive that she enjoy herself for once for the love of the kami.
       Eleven days is not truly a large sum of time by any means, but it would do.


      And now they were in ninth grade, and entrance exams were looming.
       Makoto, Minako, and Usagi were sweating in public and private, because the kami knew how unscholarly they happened to be, being well adjusted to the sight of red ink. And even though their future was not exactly dependent on their education - it actually seemed useless to even continue school at all - they were putting themselves through this hell willingly!
       Rei, comfortably ensconced in her Catholic school, secure in the fact that it was an elevator school that automatically graduated everyone to high school, was more sanguine about these things. They hated her for it, but were too polite to say it out loud.
       Ami was another matter. She had her list of possible high schools, growing shorter every day with a quick flick of her wrist. No cram school, no mock exam was safe from her #2 pencil, and it was actually a bit unnerving for the girls to witness, but how were they to realize that she was hiding her denial in equations, theories, and multiple-choice? Live in the present; yes, and then, the future wouldn't seem to loom over her head.
       And aside from the specter of high school and future past, Makoto was finding life in a lavish condo to be not altogether wonderful. Even the presence of a roommate, however silently accommodating, couldn't spoil her pleasure.
       That night, Alex had put her in the guestroom, apologizing for the lack of decoration, rectifying many problems by the time Makoto had come back from school; hooks for her hanging plants, decorative stands for the rest, lace-edged pink pillows to accent the bed, a bookshelf. She had been so stunned that she had begun crying, remaining in the room for an hour and listening to the tall red-head downstairs through the open door. Quite simply amazed that she seemed ready to allow Makoto to live here for life, if she wanted.
       She settled things with her old apartment, formally absolving Makoto of damages and back rent, and went so far as to call her old patron long-distance to tell her of the news, only to find out that she and her husband had died in a car accident on the day of Metallia's awakening; that the weather, so traumatized, had frozen the street beneath their wheels, sending them flying into a telephone pole. It was a humorously unfunny realization that even if Makoto's apartment had not been decimated, she would have been evicted anyway with no one to pay her rent.
       It also gave her the chance to bond with the tall red-head, though she remained rather distant and aloof from the girls, even with their various outings. But Makoto had recognized it almost the second day as the same sort of protection she had for herself; having lost important people, in fact everything in her world, she had grown wary of letting anyone in again. Alex seemed to have this problem as well, though she wouldn't admit it; but it gave them common ground to start from.
       But Makoto also realized that the tall red-head simply was a gracious individual. She was constantly doing small tasks for Makoto without her knowing, like leaving a fresh pot of coffee each morning for her ritual cup before school - the dark brew was a guilty pleasure of hers, and she only drank it in the morning - or leaving her a new cookbook she had seen in the window of a store. Usagi had seen this graciousness in Moriya; though the temper and belligerence was most certainly there, for the most part, she simply went through life being courteous, helpful, and thoughtful. And she would have done these things for any of them, if they were living with her.
       Of course, they had to arrange a sort of schedule in the kitchen, they would have been in one another's way otherwise, but even this was almost instinctive and polite on Alex's part. She just knew when to leave it entirely to the tall brunette. It was, altogether, like being married.
       And there were her lessons.
       Ohhh, her private lessons.
       Twice a week she was instructed by Conrad Sommers in the art of fighting, rigorous exercises and moves that her few sparse judo lessons in years past couldn't hold a candle to. (Lessons she had admitted to him on the first day, feeling guilty about her deception; but he had brushed it away, saying they were free anyway to pretty girls. She had giggled to herself for hours in her room, he thought her pretty!) And it was a strangely intuitive style that seemed perfectly matched for her strength as a sailor soldier, tapping into those reserves she was never aware of as plain Kino Makoto. But it was no match for Conrad's skill; she was slightly embarrassed to learn that he had been holding back during the contest, though he assured her she had still 'whipped his ass' good.
       Now he ran circles around her, holding her off as though she were a two-year-old child barely able to walk. She hit the mat often enough to make good friends with it, and was glad no one was around to witness her beating; he trained one-on-one, not entire classes. Though she had seen - not particularly met - many of his other students on arrival and upon leaving; many of them ignored her coolly, as if she didn't exist, only a couple of them female. Rude jerks in her opinion, but she supposed Conrad didn't professionally care, as long as they paid his exorbitant fees.
       She did finally ask him about it once, and she was right; professionally, he was simply their teacher for two hours, not their friend. But personally? He called them assholes, more than pleased to take away what was a small fortune from their pockets for his skills. "They change the better they are," he explained as she stretched, cleaning one of the ornamental katana hanging on the wall. "Once they gain that skill, they just think they're the shit. It's not personal, kiddo, they do it to each other." He eyed her as she wound up her hair into the usual bun, pinning it up. "You aren't going to turn into a psychotic bitch too, I hope."
       "Me? Iyaa no! I have important people to protect. That's my mission in becoming stronger and better, not to be a selfish creature like those other students."
       He was a strange man, however; though he claimed to be 'from the area,' he was as straightforward, brusque, and direct as Alex, a trait no native Japanese man would have so openly admitted. And he was still a gentleman to her despite this attitude, even as he pounded her down into the mat and apologized. Not many men did she know who were even considerate to the female gender, still preferring to be the dominant species of human on the island; the future of Crystal Tokyo was a feminist's dream compared to this century. He offered her rides home in his car, a quick bite of take-out from the KFC next door. If she didn't hold herself firm, she was going to fall in love with him, and fast.
       And that was not going to happen.
       The last few weeks since their return from the 30th century had been educational, as well as fun; and now she knew that she faced an uncertain eternity. Hers was not to be a normal life span, with husband and kids to love her after a harsh battle or saving the world. How could she even consider such a foolish fantasy, with the possibility of life exceeding even that of the Silver Millennium citizen? And even still, could she even love a normal human being of the 21st century with barely a century promised to them? The rose colored glass she had viewed her dreams through was effectively shattered into clarity; to wed, to be a beautiful bride in Christian white - despite her parents, she still thought such lace and silk was incomparable - to even innocently sell flowers and cakes; that was not her destiny as she had planned.
       So she swooned over Mr. Sommers, imagined him as her husband, his strong arms protecting her against the world; and it was bittersweet, and it was all she had. Even now, her dreams seemed to be failing her.


      And dreams, as those girls could attest, were powerful stuff indeed.
       Consider this dream:
       Darkness, as far as the eye could see, as though the depths of even space itself had been effectively obliterated. But there was the tiniest spark of light, growing, spinning into the climax of creation, malevolent. [I exist. In existing, I feel the light. The light of disaster and reckoning, the light that will lead our plans to ruin.]
       The light had no face, merely twisting as it came closer, closer to perception. [Deep within this insignificant third planet is the source of our life. The Taioron Crystal, sent long ago to make its way there. Hidden in the sacred land of Omega Area, sanctified by the carriers of the life. Again, we will make that land ours, we will claim this insignificant blue world as ours. Insignificant world, with a light close to the source of the Taioron Crystal, a power we will make our own.]
       Closer, and there was the shocking realization that this was not merely light, but two eyes like holes ripped out of fabric, bodiless. [But there is that light of ruin! Three lights of a triangle, drawn to a single brilliant light. Like talismans to summon the god, these three would be collected to create this light of ruin, and lead us to destruction. That cannot be! Find these three lights, and destroy the light of ruin. Then, the utilization will be successful! The Taioron Crystal will be our source of life again this new world!]
       Laughter, eerie and mocking, and it filled the universe. And then there was the shape of a hand, immense and pale as alabaster, closing over this thing. Snuffing it out as surely as a candle, and it wasn't merely a white hand but an elegant stretch of gloved fingers. The shape of a body then spinning down into eternity, chased by a weapon, a scythe, with a long handle and a perfectly curving blade. A face familiar, serene as it disappeared, a light that shone like a star remaining to fly away. "Everything leads up to the moment of reckoning. Awaken! Awaken and know your neverending destiny, at the activation of the talismans. And then, the ruin for this world. Already the world is heading for tragedy.
       "Ho-ta-ru.
       "I wish it could have been forever in this body."
       She woke up.


      The sky was roiling as though a gigantic spoon had dipped down and stirred it briskly, mixing the clouds and atmosphere into chaos. This was Tokyo falling into ruin, destroyed as surely as any civilization by time and wear, sped up to the climax. The sea was high, gathering up into a tidal wave above the broken spires and twisted metal of the skyscrapers, ready to fall and obliterate everything.
       Only one was left to watch the destruction, shocked and trembling at the realization that everything had gone wrong. The future was not coming as they had thought, after a long and lingering freeze, an ice age not to come for years; instead, this was their fate. Had they truly done this damage by seeing their future, by knowing what the years would bring? In some way, had they changed the course of events? Did they bring this on by their awareness?
       Glass and concrete crunched underfoot as the frantic race to escape the water - a slow death they could not reasonably escape - began, and their footsteps echoed off the empty walls and streets as though it were planned to create this rising sense of panic, orchestrated perfectly to induce fear. Like a movie soundtrack subtly giving away the monster hiding around the corner, ready to spring.
       And then there was movement separate from theirs, a figure standing high above the ruined street.
       Standing on what was left of a store rooftop. Hair fluttered in the gusting wind, but the colour was uncertain, as was the entire body, as it was in silhouette, obscuring even the most basic features. But it was woman; it was alive; and it ignored them utterly as it watched, obviously, the rising water. "This was the climax," she said then, a strangely sweet, unconcerned voice. "Everything led to this ruin. To the Silence."
       "What ruin?" they cried. "How could this tragedy possibly occur?"
       "Certain situations were destined, but could be averted. The key was summoned by the three talismans; I, the god of ruin, was called forth to bring down my glaive to lead the world into oblivion."
       "So could this future not come about? How can I stop it? Tell me!"
       "It is not my purpose. I am merely the weapon. I am not the messenger."
       In unison, eight woke up in the night, sweating in terror. The gleam of light off the blade in her hand, the terrible image of the end of the world; was this a foretelling of disaster? And why did they see it, and what could they do to avert it?
       The night continued on without them.


       In the window of the Sony building, Minako and a girl from another junior high across the district pressed their noses to the glass, exchanging cries of admiration as they watched the wide-screen TV. It was a top of the line plasma flat screen, large enough to crowd a typical family out of their living room, and the picture was so crystal clear a sane man would weep; all the better to slavishly watch the pretty boy idol singing his heart out. Artemis rolled his eyes as his partner hopped in place, rapidly trading opinions with her newfound friend; just last week it had been a different idol, and two days before that, another. She tossed off crushes like other people tossed off clothes for the night.
       The singer hit a high note then, dropping the cat's estimation of his age about two years, flowing rather badly into a rendition, of all things, "I Feel Pretty." If the boy's agent ever stopped to consider irony, the lives of many on the island would be enriched.
       And of course, the girls were lapping it up.
       Hunching down as if to hide from this embarrassment, Artemis watched the flow of traffic pass them by, many of them tourists staring around wide-eyed as though they had never conceived of such a thing as a discount store. One man and his wife were loudly exclaiming their surprise, in the most ridiculous nasal twang, though all the white feline could hear was noise. An ear twitched in irritation, and he rolled his eyes up again to see if Minako was done with her weekly worship to the idol god; when she screamed, clapping her hands, he groaned.
       Today was the big party at the Crown Game Center, celebrating its grand re-opening, all of the brand new machines completely free for the day. The Crown Fruit Parlor, unsurprisingly, was catering, with promises of ice cream sundaes and sodas for everyone. Usagi and Minako had been ecstatic, and the girls had all promised to meet there after school; but that was if Artemis could get his partner's ass moving again. Damn Sony's picture window.
       "Mo-ou! Why does the news have to come on at 5 o'clock?" Minako then wailed, as the local news, devious in its many ways, chose to come on as its usual time. The other girl made her escape with a hasty "Ja ne!" and a wave, disappearing off into Akihabara's north end. Artemis breathed a sigh of relief, hoisting himself up onto all fours as Minako muttered, "Who cares about elections?"
       "Anyone worried about the future of Japan, I would suppose," Artemis replied dryly.
       Minako picked up her case, playing with the new SD keychain of Lupin III she had won in the UFO catcher machine across town. "Well, let's go! Time for games and sweets until the chickens crow in the barn!"
       "You mean, 'until the cows come home'?"
       "Ah, sure."
       "I think you've messed that saying up at least twice now, Mina."
       "You exaggerate too much," she said flippantly, bending down to scoop him up, patient as he crawled up onto her shoulder and flopped there comfortably.
       But before they could leave, a loud voice suddenly yelled in English right in her ear, "Yew have the most be-oo-tiful blonde hair for a Jap-a-neeese girly!" sending her back against the window in a panic. She didn't understand any of it past the mutilated 'Japanese,' but it didn't sound very flattering. Artemis, braced to leap and claw if he had to, recognized the nasally tourist from before, and wasn't any more impressed upon close up; the man stunk, his shirt was soaked with sweat, and he was missing several teeth as he leered at Minako.
       Where the hell was his wife? Artemis looked around frantically, hoping to avoid clawing the lecher up - getting so personally involved usually ended up with him slammed into an unresisting wall - nearly pitched over and off Minako's shoulder as the man grabbed her kerchief, and she responded instinctively to piston her heel into his crotch.
       He howled like a monkey, going over to grab his jewels as she swung up with her case, a hard rectangle of synthetic, and it crashed with a satisfying 'thonk' into his jaw. Minako took off running down the sidewalk, cutting through the crowd with ease as the tourist fell over like a stuffed doll onto the pavement, keening. His wife, inside of the expensive electronic store, briefly wondered at the noise of the crowd outside, a garbled sound just as unrecognizable as the news report she was watching, and the discussion of the two next to her. "Atavism, it can't be possible. Those people must be imagining such ridiculous notions."
       "Well, it was near the Infinity Academy. You know how those oh-so-special people can get carried away."
       "Ha! And how the rest of us normal souls have to work for a living, they have the time to sit around and make up such stories."
       "Oh, like those crop circles last month? Perhaps they're conducting research as to how gullible people can be."
       Circles that had mysteriously vanished a few weeks ago, an enemy the common people never understood nor knew. An unnatural occurrence to be filed away with the strange, disturbing weather of months ago, unseasonably warm, only to suddenly freeze in unison with looting, murder, assault in the streets. Even as Minako ran for Juuban, passing by these thousands of citizens so completely sure of themselves that everything had an answer, she was still surprised at how normal they acted. Some minor buildings in the wards still had damage from Metallia's influenced storms, and though the crop circles were a genuine phenomenon throughout the world, the pitched battle between the soldiers and Koan in the Diet had no real explanation. The elements had flown from their hands, a person had died.
       Minako was unsure if this vague disgust she felt with the people of her city was more of Venus asserting her personality, or her own disbelief.
       Halfway, she transferred Artemis to her arm, holding him like a toy at her hip before boarding the bus. He hung lax in her arm, not entirely comfortable with this mode of travel, but used to the trickery to get them a ride. The one time she had tried to get on with him on her shoulder, obviously alive, they were literally shoved back onto the sidewalk. In the very back she made a show of dumping him on the seat next to her, propping her case against his tummy. "Are you comfortable, Artemis?" she murmured, sotto voice.
       "You always ask me that, and the answer's always the same," he snorted, twitching his nose violently as it began to itch. The strain to not simply scratch was immense.
       Two stops later, Rei appeared, still in her school uniform. Seeing Minako, she made her way to the back, remarking before she sat down, "Did you have detention, Minako-chan?"
       "Detention? Me? My teachers consider me a treasure! Detention!" Scoffing, she flipped back a hank of blonde hair, oblivious to, or ignoring, Rei's secretive smile. The dark-haired shrine girl had made amazing strides to become friendly with Minako, with all of them in fact, and the girls were still getting used to the idea of Rei actually loosening up and being human. "I stopped to watch an important news bulletin, actually," she coolly retorted.
       "Yes, as idol singers are the glue which hold this society together," Artemis muttered from behind the case. He squawked as Minako pressed his head into the seat as Rei laughed.
       "And what about you, Rei-chan? You're always the first to arrive."
       "I had to stay late and tutor a new student." Neatly folding her legs in contrast to Minako's sprawling slump, the dark-haired shrine girl glanced out of the window to watch the city go by. "From Obihiro. She says it's much warmer down here, though she misses the volcanoes."
       "I'd miss the hot springs! Mama and papa are always too busy arguing to go on any vacations," Minako lamented, sounding light-hearted despite the heaviness of her statement. Her parents' displeasure with one another was not a well-known fact between the girls - Minako hardly even mentioned either parent in their company - and so she was unsurprised to see Rei's questioning stare. "I guess once I'm a famous idol, I'll have to go on vacations all the time to satisfy my passion for foreign flavours and inspiring cuisine!"
       The dark-haired shrine girl made a sound of disbelief, convincingly steered away from the topic. Inwardly, Minako cheered, though it was a hollow victory. Wriggling to become just that slightest bit more comfortable in the seat, spine bent so badly a chiropractor would have fallen to their knees and cried, she cast a lazy eye over the rest of the passengers. No violently crazed tourist types, thank the kami. Just the usual assortment of school kids and office ladies and workers going home for the day.
       Two students sat in front of them; a male with short blonde hair the colour of a pure sugar sand beach, and a female with long, wavy hair like the green-blue of the ocean. Their uniforms, a burgundy red from what Minako could see of their shoulders, marked them as students of the prestigious Infinity Academy, the sixty-floored skyscraper in the Infinity Zone. Alex had been discussing it with Ami the other day; it was an institution unrivaled in Japan, only blocks away from her apartment complex in the Delta.
       Turning his head to glance out of the window, Minako swooned at the strong profile; a sharp jaw without a trace of stubble, eyes of a blue - no, grey, hue, like that of gathering storm clouds, thin fine eyelashes and swooping eyebrows of the same sandy blonde colour. It was unmistakably male, but altogether there was something soft, feminine, a trait Minako couldn't put her finger on, that one feature that would have made him womanly if he wore a dress or skirt. Near androgyny like Alex, chameleon.
       His seatmate turned the same way, murmuring something in his ear; and she was a vision of elegance, defined perfectly by her soft pink lipstick and curling eyelashes. Her eyes, demurely lowered to half-mast, were Caribbean blue, pure blue, the calm ocean to Mamoru's stormy waves. To keep her hair out of those amazing eyes, she had tied some of it back with a ribbon in a perfect bow, something that would have looked ridiculous on any other girl her age; but she carried it off wonderfully. And to add to her mystique, she had a violin case in her lap, its neck visible off the side of the seat.
       Minako was rocked out of her stare by Rei, as their stop loomed up ahead. Getting up, again holding Artemis like a rag, the long-haired blonde followed her friend down the aisle, though she felt a peculiar prickle at the back of her neck; and she looked back to see both Infinity students staring at her in turn, though the male winked at her finally. Blushing, she hurried to the door, leaping down the steps to land on the sidewalk. "Rei-chan, did you see that student? A Mugen Gakuen hunk! Suteki!" she swooned, dropping Artemis onto the ground.
       "Minako-chan, men are a waste of time. Such idle flirtations are not my way. Now come on! Everyone's going to be mad at us for being late!" Rei admonished her, gesturing at the Crown. Through the brand new glass, already smeared with prints, they could see students roaming around.
       Entering, Minako felt surprisingly upset as she saw she spot where the Sailor V console had once been, its place taken up by a change machine. The entire place had been re-arranged, and she could see the reasonable facsimile of it anywhere; unsurprising, considering that it had been a unique creation, made solely to test her ability as a soldier. She hadn't anticipated the loss she was feeling now as she realized it was completely gone. As an icon, Sailor V would survive; perhaps someone would take it upon themselves to create the real thing. But for now, the loss was unsettling, and she paused in the door to mourn it.
       Of course then, she felt Motoki touch her shoulder, saying in her ear, "Minako-chan, this is the best day, isn't it? The game center, brand new!"
       "Hai; the best day." She smiled convincingly, looking up at him. He was all smiles in return, though there was a peculiar tightness to his eyes, almost frantic as though he wanted desperately to say something else; and then, he said:
       "But the Sailor V game was unreplaceable. It was strange, but the distributors said they had never heard of such a thing."
       Had he seen the pain in her eyes? "That's terrible, onii-san. I guess I'll have to devote my time to winning every other game now."
       He released her to her friends, looking now strangely satisfied. Disturbed, Minako weaved through the crowd to finally lock onto a familiar pair of odango, next to the counter of course, where the sundaes and sodas were being given out. "Minako-chaaan!" Usagi and Chibi-Usa called in eerie unison as they spotted her in turn, both of them with chocolate fudge sundaes in their hands.
       "You finally made it," Alex commented from her seat on one of the stools, a half-full soda in front of her.
       "Gomen, gomen!"
       She spun on a stool of her own, seeing Mamoru and Makoto off to the side, talking to a young blond boy dressed in the same uniform as the dark-haired prince; Ami, in another corner, seemingly caught by Umino and a rather embarrassed Naru, who seemed to be trying to lure the spiral-glassed boy away. Across the room she saw, somewhat incredibly, Iretsu, standing on a stepstool as he played one of the new games. She could imagine that when he was blind, he had never had a chance to do such a thing. Catching her eye, he completely stopped playing to bow in respect.
       Unsure if she were pleased or disturbed, she spun around to order a triple fudge sundae from the girl behind the counter, a young brunette perhaps a year or two older than the girls, with her hair tied up into a thick ponytail with yellow ribbon. The style was like an interpretation of Makoto's style - even with the thick, short tendrils of hair escaping at each ear - that Minako paused in her order. Even their hair colour was similar. "Minako-chan, this is Unazuki-chan, Furu-chan's little sister!"
       "Younger sister?" Thoughtfully, Minako glanced from Motoki, with his canary-yellow hair, to Unazuki. "Do you work in the Parlor? I think I've seen you there."
       "Hai, hai. It's family!"
       When the sundae arrived, she dug it into with gusto, aware of the three felines - white, black, and lavender-tinged grey - watching her mow it down. Sitting comfortably between Usagi and Chibi-Usa's stools, they seemed to be forgotten. Minako sighed, offering them the last scoop in the dish.
       Though Rei disdained video games, and Ami was more intent on studying the thick textbook she had brought with her, the rest of the girls switched between snacking and playing, keeping the new machines merrily busy. Mamoru preferred to sit and talk with Motoki, his schoolmate, who seemed transparently in awe of Makoto, leaving to do homework. But Alex was more than happy to play a few rounds against the girls, a surprising expert in the fighting games. "Sensei, are you a closet gamer otaku?" Minako asked as Makoto cried in defeat.
       "I had a lot of time to practice with Lee," Alex replied mildly, rapidly punching buttons.
       "Another combo!" Usagi and Chibi-Usa said, shocked.


       An hour later, most of the other students were gone. Saying she had some unfinished business, Alex also left, though Mamoru remained with the girls, giving the Crown its last business. Though it wasn't very late, any student worth their education had homework to do, and it was usually slow at this hour anyway; Motoki was grateful for the reprieve.
       Most of the fudge was gone, so Usagi and Chibi-Usa were pigging out contentedly on plain old vanilla as they watched Minako and Makoto at the UFO catcher machine, egging each other on. Minako seemed to be an old pro at it; she was picking up almost everything she aimed for. "Ara, a keychain! I think I'll give it to Ami-chan!"
       "Give me what?" Wandering over, the blue-haired genius peeped through the glass at them. Triumphant, Minako held up the stuffed SD plush. "That?"
       "For you, Ami-chan; a Devil Hunter Yohko keychain! Complete with sword!" Poking at the little felt sword the doll carried, she held it out for Ami, who took it in embarrassed gratitude. "It suits you."
       "For what reason?" Ami mumbled.
       "Rei-chan is getting this Kotobuki Shiiko keychain, and Usagi-chan, you can take this Sawaguchi Kome doll, and Mako-chan, this Daitokuji Biiko is perfect!" She began handing out toys like a dervish, though Rei eyed hers in much the same confused manner as Ami; what the hell was she going to do with it?
       That task done, the long-haired blonde looked around. What game had she not vanquished? What else could she do to keep herself occupied? She had gone down each row right to left, fanatically beating and demolishing each console. Nothing had stood in her way of complete domination, not even several sundaes and five sodas or even the strange devotion of Iretsu as he brought Minako and the other three these snacks. Even now he was sitting at the counter, calmly discussing his next show, at the very same art gallery Ami's father had his paintings shown, with Mamoru. The dark-haired prince seemed more gracious towards the self-described 'loyal servant' than the girls, though he was gracious to everyone these days.
        A racing game! Chuckling evilly, Minako advanced on the row of consoles, four of them, paired off for two player games. As she was sitting down, she heard the swish of the door as it opened, admitting another latecomer. She paid it no mind, until she sensed someone sitting down near her in another seat, picking up the helmet the player had to wear for the realistic sounds and motions of the racecar. The burgundy uniform, the sandy-blonde hair; it was the Infinity student from the bus!
       The student tilted his head to look at her, breaking into a charmed smile. "Yo-o. Aren't you the pretty girl from the bus? Surely."
       "Hai, hai! Aino Minako, that's me! Master of the video game world, single and virginal! Say, you want to play one on one? I'll go slowly for you, if this is your first time," the long-haired blonde said coquettishly, ignoring the groans behind her.
       He smiled wider, as though he were trying not to laugh, though his eyes drifted past to look at the girls gathered behind her for a moment. "Sure, lovely. But it may not be as easy as you think." Setting the helmet back down, he switched seats to sit next to her; this close, she could smell the cologne he used, a delicious fragrance that nearly made her swoon.
       They put their helmets on; heavy, thick, claustrophobic things made to simulate reality, not mimic it. Through the shield, Minako could barely see the racetrack, and she grimaced as she shifted into first gear. "Go, go, go, Minako-chan!" someone called behind her; everything was so muffled, she couldn't place the voice.
       "Hurry, Minako-chan, or you'll lose!" another yelled.
       She shifted quickly, feeling the seat rumble as it simulated the speed's effects, her helmet jittering. But at 150 KM she was still too slow; the Infinity student's car zipped past, at almost twice the speed. "This is unbelievable!" she tittered under her breath, chagrined. "I'm losing!" She shifted again, jamming the pedal down, and steering for all she was worth, though turning at such speeds was insanity. Teeth grinding at the steadily mounting motion of the chair, she yanked the wheel too hard and howled as her car slammed into the wall, spinning back into the track. And if the simulation of speed was bad enough, the simulation of an accident was worse.
       Her head slammed back against the headrest as she groaned, eyes crossing. "Defeated, in the prime of my life…how could he beat me?" She rolled her head, yanking the helmet off to peer at his speed, and promptly howled again: "400 KM!?"
       The man was racing like a pro, and Minako realized that her friends were standing behind him to watch his game. "Traitors!"
       "Sugoi, 400 KM! That's amazing!" Makoto gushed, starry-eyed.
       "Hai, hai, incredible!" Usagi agreed, completely forgetting for a moment that she had her prince; and he was staring at her from across the room, a bit put out by her actions.
       "That's quite astonishing! Like a true racer in his element," Ami said thoughtfully.
       "Hmmph. Any woman could beat his level with practice," Rei sniffed.
       "But why would anyone want to drive in a metal box so fast around a road?" Chibi-Usa asked curiously; many of the 21st century's quirks, like this strange 'racing' sport, still confused her. In the 30th century, everyone had been happy to just make it across the city on foot in a reasonable amount of time.
       The student pulled off his helmet as his pixilated counterpart vaulted out into a sea of cheering and adulation. He smiled at the pink-haired child as he ran a hand back through his mussed hair, though his was a style that looked better disheveled. "To be like the wind, to be better and faster than anyone else. In the seat of the car, going full throttle around the turn of the track; you have to be aware of everything. To miss means to lose. And I don't like to lose." So saying, he set the helmet down in the seat, hands sliding into his pockets.
       Now they could see the whole of his uniform: burgundy jacket with the Infinity symbol set in a black star on the breast pocket, with "Mugen" in english below; white dress shirt with a green plaid tie perfect at the neck, showing off his pectoral muscles just rounding the cloth; and the same plaid trousers cinched with a brown belt. And of course, shined dress shoes.
       A handsome boy, and they were properly dazzled by him. "To the victor belongs the spoils," Minako sighed, clasping her hands as she leaned towards him. "Do be gentle with me, I'm a fragile creature."
       "M-Minako-chan!" Usagi and Makoto and Ami yelped. Rei hung her head.
       Across the room, Mamoru, Iretsu, and the three felines watched the gathering with more than a bit of apprehension. Their conversation had halted a while ago, to properly watch the Infinity student completely captivate the girls. And Mamoru was surprised at how jealous he was feeling; it was a gut-wrenching emotion that he was unused to. Surely his princess was simply too innocent and guileless to realize what she was doing…it was her way to be so spontaneously enthralled. Though the way the Infinity student's eyes lingered on the odango-haired blonde was not at all innocent.
       "How shameful," Iretsu murmured beside him, rather helpless on the high stool Mamoru himself had helped him onto. "The man is acting disrespectful towards Tsukino-san. Staring at her so openly…Chiba-san, it is not my place, but I think you should stop this." The dwarf looked up at him solemnly, though Mamoru was surprised to see the anger in those iced green eyes. He really did take himself seriously in this time.
       "Usako…Usa…she has her own mind in this era, Chouko-san. I may be her prince, but I shouldn't be jealous over every male she thoughtlessly stares at. She…she's too innocent to realize what she does," he sighed, folding his arms. Motoki cut across his view, pushing a mop frantically to scrub at the floor. The dark-haired prince's eyes followed him instinctively, drifting of their own accord to see him push the mop past the door. But he then focused past Motoki, seeing a girl standing outside, in the female version of the Infinity uniform; the green plaid in her skirt was unmistakable. "He has a girlfriend?"
       And he made her wait outside; the Infinity student was definitely dipping lower and lower on Mamoru's scale. He glanced back around to see the girls still doing their traditional dance around the boy, then stood up. Iretsu's quizzical stare was ignored as he headed for the door, frowning deeper with every step he took. To have a girl stand at the door like a waiting puppy dog was intolerable; perhaps he would have to teach the boy some manners.
       The doors slid open with their usual sound, and he was unsurprised to see her turn to see who was walking out; what surprised him, however, was the face, because he knew it looked familiar to him. But the recollection failed to register, and he said graciously, "Are you waiting for your boyfriend, miss? If so, it's terrible to be standing out here alone like this."
       She smiled, those warm ocean eyes coy as she glanced through the window. "Haruka? I'm used to such idling. I prefer to be waiting out here where I can watch the distant ocean." Her gaze turned away to focus on that far strip of darker cobalt, calm this day.
       "I see." He caught sight of the violin case in her hand, a small, sleek black leather case that looked to be quite expensive. "You're a violinist?"
       "I enjoy playing, yes." She sounded close to laughter as she spoke, however, and he had a feeling he was supposed to have obviously known that. Still, that irritating feeling that he knew her face nagged him, and perhaps that was what her humour was about. Was she famous?
        But this really was strange.
       Too proper to stare, she allowed her eyes to drift slightly away, her gaze encompassing both him and the windows so she could continue to watch the Infinity boy. Her mouth, set in what he had seen to be a slightly ironic smile, became cold at this angle; hard set in a determined line. Those Caribbean eyes seemed almost empty, devoid of the amusement she had shown him. Though she stood casually, hands full holding both school case and violin, her stance seemed straighter somehow, as though prepared to strike; the sum of the whole was that of aggression. And he realized suddenly that she was that prepared in body and spirit, that if he ever presented a danger to her that she would not hesitate to strike him down.
       And that was silly; but it was a disturbing revelation as he watched her. Like a soundless snarl of warning, she gave it off in spades; Don't Fuck With Me. That pleasant, well-bred façade was just that…
       She turned back to him, and the menace vanished. "It was nice meeting you."
       "I…yes, but isn't your boyfriend…?"
       He felt someone press by him, and he glanced aside to see the Infinity student exiting the arcade, case slung over his shoulder. The look that exchanged between them was not quite friendly, but it wasn't angry; more, taking each other's measure. Deducing the challenge. And the girl seemed not at all put out by their attitude, but amused; maybe they enjoyed playing each other's jealousies. Mamoru wasn't sure if he then felt sorry for her, or disturbed. "Are you ready to go, Michiru?" the boy asked as he and the dark-haired prince glared at one another.
       "Hai, Haruka. You needn't be so bold on my account." She laughed merrily, bowing to Mamoru formally, as though he were someone far more important. "My name is Kaiou Michiru. If we ever run into one another again, it would be pleasant to know."
       "Chiba Mamoru."
       "I'm Ten'ou Haruka," the boy added, emphasizing the name; and it did have a familiar ring to it, and damned, again, if Mamoru could place it. Without asking or forewarning, he turned away and strolled down the sidewalk, and Michiru followed him with another polite bow.
       Mamoru scratched the back of his head. "Ten'ou Haruka…Kaiou Michiru," he muttered, rolling the names over on his tongue. "Ten'ou…Kaiou…" He kept thinking of McDonald's burgers for some reason, which meant his brain had taken a vacation; he wasn't going to think of it for a while. Sighing, he stepped back into the Crown, ignorant of the commotion rising in volume down the street.
       He lifted his head to find Usagi standing in the doorway, so close that he nearly walked right into her. "Usa…?"
       "Usa? Why not Usako?" she asked quizzically, hands knotted at her waist.
       "You're not the child anymore, are you…" The look he gave her was unusual in its gravity, his expression drawing together into an intensity that she hadn't seen in months. She reached forward to take his hands, suddenly worried for him; and though he let her take them, he said nothing. Brooding.
       Both of them were aware of the silence in the arcade around them, broken only by the sounds of the consoles. Everyone was staring at them, even Motoki, leaning on his mop; too polite to directly ask what was wrong. Usagi was looking up at him with those soulful crystal blue eyes, her question all but screaming at him from their depths. And all he could think was, Of course she's grown up, that's good isn't it? To be an adult, with all of their needs and wants, and what if that's it, that she wants this Haruka instead of me? Princess Serenity, but Tsukino Usagi now, in no way beholden to me, Chiba Mamoru, once Prince Endymion. Is that what adulthood will mean for her, to realize that she doesn't even love me at all?
       "Mamo-chan?"
       Her 'Mamo-chan,' her champion. Does she secretly hate me, perhaps, for being the only man in the world that knows her secret, the only man she ever could love, choice or no? Kami-sama. And this Haruka boy, with his flashing smile and arrogant stride, does he reach her depths in ways I can't, does he make her long for his touch, does he inspire her wanting and needing and desire… And why do I think this possible? Our love is strong and permanent in the future, and is it in our power to change it, to make that vision disappear? We love each other…or does she love me because I'm simply the first in her life?
       Maudlin, his dear old friend, was close at his neck; he could feel it. How easily he could slip back into that emotion, distancing the world, pushing everyone away. Even Moriya had been forced to work around it, because it had been safe for him. No one expected anything of you in such a state, not when it was also expected. How could anyone in his position - family lost to him, memory betraying him - be anything but upset?
       He felt the need to shake his princess, to demand an explanation of her, but it was ridiculous. Absurd. Perhaps all this boiled down to was his insecurity; and that he was simply being a jealous idiot. Why, Chiba Mamoru, how introspective of you.
       "Usa, gomen nasai. I was just thinking of the past few months…realizing how lucky am I to love you," he finally murmured, lifting a hand, her smaller, delicate fingers still holding on, to kiss her knuckles.
       But the worried look didn't entirely go away as she accepted his next kiss on her lips, light as a feather. She knew something was wrong; it was in her nature, if not her power, to recognize the symptoms. Wasn't she always the girl everyone came to when they were crying or upset because she knew just what to say to him? She said, "Aishiteru, Mamo-chan," delicate but firm, to remind him.
       And there was a flash of heat between them, a surge of power that at first Mamoru took to be one of her rather spontaneous displays of emotion; but then he realized that wasn't it at all, because Chibi-Usa was lit up as well. No, not her personally; her brooch. Her silver crystal was radiating like a miniature star, just as Usagi's. "Nani?!"
       "My brooch….the Ginzuishou! What's causing this?" his princess stammered, touching her fingers to the golden metal, the lid of her brooch disappearing to reveal the glowing crystal.
       Something heavy slammed into the glass behind them, rattling the doors, but not hard enough to break; scrabbling against the glass like an enormous moth, only far, far louder, sharper. The girls cried out in disgust and shock, and the two lovers turned to see a humped grotesque creature straining against the glass, eyes nebulous, teeth as sharp as knives. But the hunched figure beneath it - a writhing human clad in a uniform - was surprising not in that she was there, for the creatures always attacked people, but that they seemed to be attached to each other.
       "What the hell is that?!" Minako cursed, slamming her fist into the emergency locking mechanism next to the doors as the creature scraped at the aperture of the glass. Though the sensor seemed to completely ignore the thing, thankfully not sliding open automatically as it usually did, it seemed sentient enough to realize how to force them. The locks clasped the doors shut, holding them firm, and the metal gate came loose from the wall for the girls to yank together and lock as well.
       Just in time, as the glass gave way, and they scattered with shouts of pain and surprise. Emitting a strange screech of displeasure at the gate, it began bashing what they assumed was its head against it, the metal rattling and whining with the stress. How odd that no one outside was attempting to stop it - people could be painfully stupid - though they may also have gained enough experience in the past months to simply run. No, scratch that; the creature reared up as someone finally did boldly go where no one should have gone, assumedly whacking the creature with…something.
       It spun around, and someone shrieked in pain. There was a whistling noise and then a sickening thud, like that of a ripe melon hitting concrete. "That…was terrible," Ami whispered, pale as a sheet.
       A door slammed behind them; Motoki, Unazuki, and Iretsu had disappeared, presumably into the back room. How wonderfully smart of them; if only the girls could follow them. Luna, from the bar top, looked from the door towards them, paws braced against the fake wood. "Minna, henshin yo!"
       "Mercury Planet Power, Make Up!"
       "Mars Planet Power, Make Up!"
       "Jupiter Planet Power, Make Up!"
       "Venus Planet Power, Make Up!"
       "Moon Prism Power, Make Up!"
       Usagi hesitated, her hand on her brooch. She stared at Chibi-Usa, goggle-eyed, unable to understand the emotion she felt at the sound of her old transformation; her first transformation. The words she had spoken without fully realizing what to expect, or what to anticipate. But that was the natural order of things, wasn't it? Her daughter was simply following the same path.
       Which reminded her: what the hell was she supposed to use?
       Her guardian soldiers, her daughter, stood and waited for her. Then as if she realized why Usagi was waiting, Chibi-Usa said, "Usagi-chan, use Moon Cosmic Power. Hurry!"
       "Hai!" Closing her eyes and bracing herself, Usagi cried, "Moon Cosmic Power, Make Up!"
       The first time she had felt her new transformation, it had been almost painful; Moon Crystal Power had flushed her body with energy, unlocking a second barrier in her mind to allow her greater access to her powers. And she had wielded Moon Princess Halation without effort, a stronger attack than her tiara or moon stick, which simply healed; not destroyed. Now, her third transformation left her breathless, feeling physically stronger yet lighter; her entire physique felt altered to this new power.
       Rearing up again, the creature scraped its multiple legs against the gate, hooking through the diamond links and yanking. Beneath its body they could see the girl shake, unconscious but flopped about as the creature pulled her around for the ride. "It's trying to pull the gates open!" Mars gasped softly as they watched the creature slam its head again and again into the metal.
       "Haven't we caused the Crown enough damage?" Venus asked rhetorically, pointing at the creature's eyes. "Poor onii-san. Crescent Beam!"
       The long-haired blonde's aim was excellent, as always, as the attack streaked through a diamond link to impact with one of the eyes. It exploded into pus and black blood as the creature yanked its head back, limbs still entangled with the gate; with no back legs to brace itself, the entire weight of the creature fell, and with a whining shriek, the gate ripped free of the wall and tumbled down atop it. "The girl beneath it…!" Mercury cried, perhaps a bit too late.
       "But the creature's attached to her, surely it'll protect her," Jupiter postulated as she called power to her hand, hesitating as she felt it surge higher in strength than she had known; adjusting her aim, she reached out towards the creature to release the energy, shouting, "Jupiter Coconut Cyclone!"
       Rising free of the gate, the creature reared up right where the tall brunette anticipated, and the attack hit it dead center, leaving a crater in its wake. Taking the initiative, Mars followed up, yelling, "Fire Soul!" and the air was filled with smoking, bubbling bits of goo as the creature thus exploded. Black sticky blood streaked the walls, the concrete, and the soldiers; it burned like acid where it hit skin. "Ittaaaiii! That was a bad idea!"
       "The bad thing isn't supposed to explode! Who created such a stupid creature!" Venus flailed her arms, scraping at her cheeks.
       They could hear the sound of sirens in the air; a familiar noise indeed. As one, the girls turned and looked at one another, then down at the remains of the smoking creature's insides. Inside of them, the girl twitched and moaned, her uniform shredded where it had been attached to her back; unblemished skin shone through the torn fabric.
       Mamoru peeked over the bar, his arms full of three wiggling felines, shaking his head. "Yare, yare, Motoki's father is going to be upset."
       "Forget that, Mamoru-san!" Luna flailed her paws at the soldiers as the sirens came almost frighteningly close, assuredly within sight of the damage by now. "Transform back, quickly! To be held responsible for this mess would be disastrous!"
       "Lie on the ground and pretend you were attacked!" Artemis added as the dark-haired prince released them; the cats raced for the open window behind the bar, leaping out into the alley.
       As they changed back, they seemed to shrink; not very much, but enough for the casual eye to note. No one would recognize the six dirty school girls as sailor soldiers, looking so slight and unassuming. They scattered, dropping down to hurriedly clean a spot on the floor of glass before sprawling as if thrown down. Usagi pulled Chibi-Usa down with her before the pink-haired child could protest, wrapping her up in her arms and rolling partially over her; if such an explosion had occurred in this manner, she would have protected the child. Anyone would have, she thought.
       There was the sound of brakes, and a flurry of footsteps. She could hear - iie, she could sense - her prince coming out of hiding, running towards them as though truly worried, and then his hand touching her neck. "Hurry! These girls could be hurt!"
       "Mamo-chan, you're such a pretender," Chibi-Usa giggled quietly, seeming excited by the prospect of being 'rescued'. She wisely hushed up as Usagi pinched her arm.


       In this subterranean refuge, electrical wiring was dangerous and often short-circuiting. With the constant dripping, cold conditions, and unhealthy dampness, the wires had to be replaced almost every other week. How laughable that it was merely to keep the TV and stereo system running; ostensibly to hear the news, but really to watch silly soaps and sumo during her free time.
       "…in Juuban. In an incident strangely coincidental to the report of an attack in the Infinity Zone, the witnesses claim that a girl from the Infinity Academy became atavistic, rampaging down the street until being stopped in front of the reopened Crown Game Center. Destroyed or self-destructed by an unknown source; an investigation is underway. Witnesses, also students from Infinity, claims that the 'sailor soldiers,' who were reported to have fought a terrorist at the Diet, stopped the atavistic creature before disappearing. The Metropolitan Police declined comment.
       "Who are the 'sailor soldiers'?"
       Lips set in a tight line, the woman turned the TV off with a sharp flick of her wrist. Pausing a moment to hoist her breasts, re-adjusting them within the cups of her black dress - it was not an outfit she would have personally chosen, but the Master liked it - she turned to face the five girls kneeling in patience behind her.
        "Well," she said finally, at first. "Well," she repeated again, tapping her staff - a simple staff of gold, its top twisted into an Infinity symbol entrapping a black star - and frowning. "The daimon are failing in the utilization. The bodies of the students only became partially atavistic, creating that failed daimon that these sailor soldiers destroyed. And the stolen souls then escaped back into the bodies of the students, once the daimon was destroyed and the utilization halted."
        "But Magus Kaolinite, how could these sailor soldiers destroy the daimon?" one of the girls asked, impatiently tossing her head. Her bright red hair, tied into two ponytails on the side of her head, fell back behind her shoulders. "And how could the soul once captured be freed?"
       "Nature abhors a vacuum," the Magus said, a bit ironically. "Before the souls could be utilized, they were simply held in containment. The daimon took the place of the souls in their bodies, and in the case of failure, and of defeat, the daimon was destroyed but not the body. The lower soul, the residue, called out for a connection, and their soul fled from containment to connect with its lower half. It was an act of survival, else the body would die."
       The woman looked towards a spread of cards on the rim of a still pool off to their right, its surface silver and clean. On the cards appeared the images of the six sailor soldiers, slowly focusing and gaining depth and clarity like film developing in a dark room. "This we cannot have. The Master must have those souls. No other souls but the prime souls of the students we've selected will do." She raised her staff, leveling it at the five girls. "Witches 5! This is your new mission! To rid us of these new enemies, these sailor soldiers!"
       "But they carry the power of the planets, Magus Kaolinite!" another girl interrupted, momentarily flickering like a ghost to reveal another of herself, like a mirror image reversed, overlapping her body.
       "Hai, they are the legendary sailor soldiers that the Master is reputed to fear! The protectors of the planets, avatars of their might; we are merely the Witches 5, not Magus like you, Kaolinite."
       "Silence!"
       Cowed, the five girls dropped their heads obediently.
        Kaolinite ground her teeth, furious. Though they had long ago been successfully utilized, five young girls of extreme intellect, physical stamina, and ingenuity, they still could be the impatient, outspoken teenagers they had been when Kaolinite had found them. True, they had that propensity for darkness in their hearts, or else they would never have accepted her offer, but they could be ridiculously argumentative all the same. "Yes," she hissed finally, gripping her staff tightly. "Yes, it's true that the Master once revealed the existence of these sailor soldiers to me. But the sailor soldiers exist in all of the galaxies, not just on this planet; and they vary in strength and power, just like you. Did you not take notice of their work these past months? They are like clumsy children in this world. Easy to defeat."
       A card flew to her hand, and she held it up for the girls to see. "The power of this soldier…before the daimon was destroyed, it relayed a power back to me that had the brilliance of the Taioron Crystal."
       Sailor Moon, caught in the act of flinching.
       "Destroy them, and take their souls, the pure souls of the planets. Capture this soldier's brilliance, and bring it here for the Master. I don't care how! Do this, and be rewarded as I was, becoming a Magus! To speak directly with the Master; to reap the benefits of the Taioron Crystal, this can be yours!"
       They murmured amongst themselves in excitement, the noise little more than a musical babble; Magus! They had never dared dream of such a position. To be one of the Witches 5 was a blessing in itself, for they had powers above normal humanity. But being Magus allowed them to speak directly to the Master who directed their plans, who commanded even Kaolinite.
       "Magus Kaolinite," the red-head said formally, saluting in that time-honored fashion; with her right fist to her left shoulder, "the Witches 5 are ever loyal to the Master. We will accomplish this."
       "Of course you will," Kaolinite agreed, though it was hardly said warmly.


       "…so it just appeared, and blasted the window inward. That knocked all of you down, and you never saw what destroyed the monster?"
       "Hai."
       "How remarkable that the glass managed to miss all of you."
       "We were very lucky, officer."
       Sighing, the detective sat back in his chair, rubbing at his temple. "Hino-san, I hope you realize how suspicious this is. When the Diet was attacked, your father claimed that you had been there, with a classmate. Your classmate was found safe, your father was found safe, and yet you disappeared entirely. Not even your grandfather knew your whereabouts. And yet, your friends just happened to be in the building, hiding in a closet suspiciously. Now we have an atavistic creature destroyed, and again, we find your friends nearby."
       "If you are implying something," Rei said haughtily, though she was scared as hell beneath her usual demeanor, "then implicate. If not, then you have no reason to investigate me like this, or to hold me and my friends like criminals when we were attacked."
       The small doctor's office they had taken over was cramped, and it showed as the detective, a bit portly, tried to adjust himself in his chair and banged his knee on the desk for lack of space to move back. Biting back an obvious curse, he fixed his beady eyes on Rei with a competent attitude she sorely disliked. "I am not calling you a criminal, Hino-san; kami-sama, your father would make sure my life would be miserable. Most likely get me fired. But anyone can plainly see something is amiss, when the very same group of people are found at two separate tragedies! And what would they be doing in the Diet, I ask you, Hino-san, when it takes special dispensation to even get in the door?"
       Her tenuous grasp on her temper was disappearing like smoke; she was gripping her hands so tightly in her lap where he couldn't see that she could feel her nails cutting skin. This was a situation she had never dreamed she would be in, ever, in her life, and yet her status as a sailor soldier had managed to place her here. And what could she do to evade the law? Continue to deny it and imply her father would, as he himself had said, make his life miserable? Or transform in front of him and tell him to stay the hell out of their business, because they were defending his life and in fact the lives of the world?
       She was still wildly debating her two options when the door opened behind her, and the detective was up on his feet. "Superintendent-General, what a surprise."
       "Utagai-san, you should never be surprised to see me." Rei turned to see the Superintendent-General of the Metropolitan Police, and her heart sank down to her feet. Now she was in trouble, and no amount of posturing or attitude could get her out. Her hand slipped into the pocket of her skirt, and she summoned her pen; though at the thought of transforming, she felt the nudge of power before she even touched the metal. Was it possible that Planet Power was strong enough that she didn't need the device anymore?
       She looked up. The Superintendent-General, in a somber purple business suit jacket and matching skirt, was staring at her with a stern expression. "You are the daughter of Hino? You look just like him. He was worried for you, after the attack on the Diet."
       "How surprising. My father usually has little time for me outside of his political maneuvers," Rei countered frigidly, feeling a bit more assured.
        Motioning for Rei to stand, looking displeased at the response, the woman said, "I'm taking her and her friends home personally. The little girl is finally conscious and responsive, and is well enough for the trip. And I have questions of my own to ask."
       Chauffeured by the Superintendent-General; ayiii. Rei inwardly shuddered, as the detective stammered behind her, obviously surprised by this turn of events. But he couldn't stop the Superintendent-General, and since he had not charged Rei with any crime, he couldn't keep her any longer than necessary anyway. Standing finally, the dark-haired shrine girl gifted him with a cool bow, appropriate respect for the police with just the smallest hint of disdain for the detective personally. Holding the door open, the Superintendent-General followed Rei out, closing it firmly against the detective's babbling. "Come, Hino-san, your friends are in the car park," she said coolly, guiding her towards one of the stairs.
       "Is Chibi-Usa alright, Superintendent-General?" Rei asked, allowing the concern to creep into her voice as they strode down the hallway. Two policemen stood guard at one of the last rooms they passed, where the girl who had been unfortunate enough to be the creature's unwilling accomplice was resting. Cuts, bruises, catatonia…the list was large, from what Rei caught.
       They stepped through the door into the stairwell, and once the lock clicked, the Superintendent-General suddenly smiled brightly. "Call me Sakurada-san, or you can call me onee-san like Minako-chan! May I call you Rei-chan?"
       Rei jolted to a stop so suddenly on the stairs that her shoes slipped, and she very nearly tumbled down to break her neck. She stared in disbelief at the woman who had undergone such a drastic change in the span of a door closing, and wondered if she'd gone mad. The only other bubbly idiot she knew with the propensity to change demeanor like a light switch was Minako; who, appropriately enough, Sakurada had mentioned.
       "Rei-san, then! Don't be alarmed," she added, seeing Rei's expression blank. "I have an image to uphold. I can't let them know their Superintendent-General is truly the best of friends with Sailor V!" And sure enough, she flashed the victory sign at her.
       Ah, that explained it. Minako had done something stupid when she was the lone soldier.
       Shaking her head in disbelief and annoyance, the dark-haired shrine girl repeated her question from earlier. They had been taken - again, according to Minako, as it was a trip Rei had not been privy to - to the hospital when the police had found them lying on the floor of the Crown, merely to check them out to make sure they weren't in shock. Of course they weren't, but Chibi-Usa, who had never seen the inside of a hospital, had never seen people so sick they were walking scarecrows, had gone into a frightened fit. When the nurses had given her a sedative to calm her down, she had a reaction; and the last Rei had known before she was herded off, she was unconscious and her throat had been closing up.
       Sakurada looked grave as she responded, "She's breathing again. Truly, she shouldn't be released, but that lady came in and told the doctor she would be taking her home, and the doctor changed his mind entirely."
       "Lady? What lady?"
       "That tall American lady, with the bright hair. She's waiting with Minako-chan and the others in the car park."
       So Alex had known they were at the hospital. The cats must have learned how to work a pay phone, or the tall red-head had a communicator, because there was no way they could have made it all the way to the Delta on paw in the last hour. Rei had no other idea how else they could have gotten word to her.
       They stepped through the last door to find themselves in the echoing chamber of the car park, so unnaturally bright from the lights that both winced unconsciously. Sure enough, near an undercover police car and a familiar Saturn stood the entire group, along with a blond man in a suit who was fending off Minako's questions. Even the cats were sitting on the hood of the Saturn, next to Alex as she leaned back against it. And true to Sakurada's word, Chibi-Usa looked to be breathing fine, though she was pale in Mamoru's arms.
       "Rei-chan!" Usagi cried first, smiling, though she and the other girls were soon racing to meet her with a group hug. "Are you alright? Wakagi-san said you were being interrogated!"
       "She was," Sakurada confirmed behind her. "I rescued her."
       Wakagi coughed behind them, none-too-subtle in trying to get their attention. "Minako-chan, shouldn't you and your friends be going home now? You have school tomorrow! Even being soldiers of justice doesn't excuse late attendance!"
       "He's right, so let's be off, mm? Before the hour grows later, and Minako's parents decide to disown her for good," Alex added.
       They collectively crammed into the car, with Mamoru and the still-slack Chibi-Usa up front, and the girls in back with Usagi and Ami sitting on Minako and Makoto's laps for lack of space. Sakurada touched Alex on the shoulder as she lifted the latch of her door, leaning in to say, "Ano, the detective? Utagai? I'll make sure he drops his inquiry, LeBeau-san."
       Alex smiled as she pulled the door open. "Don't worry about it, Sakurada. It's already taken care of."
       Puzzling, the two police nonetheless waved as the Saturn pulled away, picking up speed as they came out onto the street. The hospital they had been taken to was not the same as before, being in different wards, and it was far less distance for the girls to go home. "So what did the detective ask you, Rei?" Alex finally asked.
       "He didn't ask," the dark-haired brunette said coldly, "he accused. He knew we were at the Diet that day, and claims suspicions about the fact. That perhaps we were involved somehow. And he implicated me strongly because of my disappearance."
       "Mmm. That makes it more difficult, especially if he mentioned it to someone else," Alex muttered.
       In the front seat, crammed in by Mamoru's feet, Artemis asked, "What did you mean, Alex-san, when you told Sakurada-san that it was taken care of?"
       "That I took care of it, Artemis, what else would I mean? But if he told someone else his suspicion, then it doesn't matter. The police will still be puzzling over this."
       "You don't think the police would try and arrest us, do you?" Makoto asked from the back, sounding a bit terrified. She had good reason to; most obviously, because if the police did arrest them, and they had to transform back into their civilian form, she was technically a runaway. That had a whole set of problems in itself.
       Minako made a rude noise. "Mako-chan, Natsuna onee-san wouldn't let them! She's our friend and ally in this. We're safe."
       "And what happens if Sakurada-san lost her job?" Ami sounded tired.
       There was no answer for that.
       Alex sighed, stopping for the red light. "Why would they arrest you unless you were committing a crime? All they ever did when Minako was traipsing around as Sailor V is get their nuts in a twist because she was doing their job. Rei's interrogation came out of the fact that private dickless up there thought she was doing something devious, not that she was a sailor soldier. Believe me, he had some clear thoughts on that." Muttering, "Gave me a bloody headache, too," she pressed on the accelerator.
       "So, then, we're safe."
       "Barring a felony, most likely."
       "…how about a criminal act of defacement?"
       "Minako, don't push it."
       Silence. Then, Ami said softly, "One of the policemen said that this wasn't the first attack. That there had been one yesterday, near the Infinity Academy. Atavism."
       "And the girl that had been attached to the creature wore an Infinity uniform," Makoto confirmed, though they had all seen the pale, wan girl as the medics had lifted her onto the stretcher. Maroon top, green plaid skirt. "Isn't the school near the apartment, Alex-chan?"
       "In the Infinity Zone, yes. It was only recently finished in the last year. All the kids that were accepted are reputed to be geniuses on par with Ami; the crème de la crème of Japan's school system. Strange that an attack of atavism would hit there."
       Usagi's face fell in the rear view mirror as she huddled on Minako's lap, hugging her arms. "Atavism…is that what you call that creature? It was terrible."
       Ami, in a voice most likely practiced to be so modulated, said, "Atavism is a term to describe humans regressing back into their ancestral bodies. Like reverse evolution. But those creatures…surely that was not atavism, but something worse."
        "Maybe it's not a human regressing back, but something else." Minako looked troubled as she recalled the multi-legged, grotesque creature. "Humanity would regress to apes, wouldn't they?"
       "If you're not a brainwashed religious nut, yes. As humans evolved from apes or from a common ancestor, I'd suppose they should have regressed into ape-like form." Alex slowed, pulling over to park in front of Usagi's house. "But the images I keep seeing are nothing like it…almost inhuman, perhaps alien."
       Mamoru frowned down at his sleeping daughter. "A new enemy. Surely. And they're using humans in their plans to disturbing ends."
       The sound of nodding heads in the dark. "And somehow, Infinity has a part in it," Rei added quietly.
       "Tomorrow, after school, we're going to investigate," Alex said firmly, leaning against the door as the engine idled. "We can't let this enemy catch us unaware."
       Again, there was the memory of the destruction, the figure holding the aforementioned glaive. The end of the world, the Silence. All of them had dreamt it, not knowing they shared that foreboding terror, waking up in cold sweat. But it was that the enemy's doing, that vision of blasted ruins and tidal water; or was it something else? There had been only one figure in that dream with them, telling them - warning them? - that the tragedy was to occur…but that it could be averted. And surely the enemy wouldn't be breaking into their dreams to tell them that.
       Silence…


       Kicking off her shoes in the genkan, Usagi hollered at the top of her lungs: "Tadaima, mama!" In socking feet she danced across the carpet, skipping into the kitchen and the fragrant smell of baking apples and spices. Though the fruit was expensive - most fresh fruit was in Japan - her mother always made the pie at the start of the school year for Usagi and Shingo, as a treat to allay their woes over starting anew. Chibi-Usa, sure enough, was already seated at the table, chubby cheeks in equally chubby hands, watching 'Ikuko-mama' at work. She had never tasted apples before.
       "Mmm, it smells delicious, mama!" Usagi cheered as she took a seat across from the pink-haired child, sniffing appreciatively. Ikuko was not the talented gourmand Makoto or even Alex was, but she knew how to cook solid, delicious food for her family. If motherhood was a career course in school, she would have been an exemplary student. "When will it be done?"
       "In half an hour, Usagi," her mother answered as she moved briskly from sink to stove, stirring a pot of noodles. "And dinner will be ready in ten minutes."
       "Oh, didn't Chibi-Usa tell you? We're going to meet everyone at Alex's condo for dinner and studying!"
       "What?" Ikuko paused over at the cutting board, looking over her shoulder to fix both girls with a stare. "And why was I informed now, right before we were to eat? I have no problem with you eating elsewhere, but I wish you would tell me earlier!" Frowning, she added sternly, "perhaps if you weren't always in detention…"
       Chibi-Usa was beaming like an angel. "I've never had detention, Ikuko-mama! Don't worry, I won't be following Usagi's example into chaos."
       "N-N-Nani!? You little…!"
       "Usagi!"
       Pouting, the odango-haired blonde slouched back in her chair, eyeing Chibi-Usa as she stuck out her tongue. Her daughter shouldn't be treating her like this! How rude! Mentally reminding herself again that she was going to send the girl to a military school as soon as she turned four, she vacated the kitchen to head for her room and a change of clothes. Her uniform was wrinkled and slightly damp from sweat from the day, though she was getting used to it after the weather they'd been experiencing for the past few months. But peeling it off and wriggling into something light and cool had to be done.
       Kicking her uniform off into a corner of her room, she stretched and sighed. "Damn brat. Always making me look bad in front of mama. She should be grateful I don't send her back home to the future!" Muttering to herself about her future self's lack of parenting skills and promising herself that she would eat no pork during pregnancy, she dove into her closet and started shoving shirts and dresses aside in her quest for the perfect outfit. After all, who knew what she and her Mamo-chan would be doing after the meeting?
       She finally settled on a white lacy tank top, modestly plunging, and a black calf-length skirt with little mirrors sewn all around the bottom. Spinning around for her mirror, she posed jauntily, like a model she had seen in the foreign magazines, though she was wearing far more clothing than her. Perfect. Not too much cleavage, just the smallest hint of swell behind lace, and hips hugged snugly to show off her curves.
       It was not in anticipation of anything more than snuggling and kissing, perhaps even the smallest touches. Usagi had agreed with her prince that they should take it slow, because, truthfully, she was slightly terrified of that time when they wouldn't stop. Though what he had done to her body already had been wonderful, with fingers and lips and tongue and knowledge of where to touch, she knew that there was the hint of danger to their eventual lovemaking, the inevitable pain. Already she had seen that precipice, and, so suddenly yanked back to safety, she was reminded again as to why she was more than happy to hold back.
       After all, the Pill - the capital letter as if to scare women away - had only recently been approved for legal use in Japan. And the horror stories of that particular drug had been spreading like wildfire, of embolism and grotesque weight gain, veins exploding in legs, sudden heavy bleeding that wouldn't stop. Usagi was loath to even think of using the deceptively innocent looking little white pill, even though it had been legal and safe in America for decades. She held out hope that her prince would be smart enough to be responsible for both of them, which was, she realized only recently, irresponsible in itself.
       She grimaced at the sound of Chibi-Usa yelling her name, remembering yet another reason to hold off; the little pink dust bunny wasn't due to ruin her life for at least thirteen years. Far be it for her to muck around with the established timeline, though that was a long time to avoid having premarital - and marital! - sex.
       On the one hand, it was nice knowing that she was going to be responsibility-free for a certain amount of time. On the other, it was horrible realizing just how careful and paranoid she was going to be that entire time.
       Grimacing at herself, she slipped on some new socks and went back downstairs, feeling a lot less perky than she had going up. And as her mother caught sight of her, she said, "Ara, ara, is this boyfriend of yours going to be eating with you? Mamoru-san?"
        Kenji, already seated at the table, turned a disapproving eye towards his daughter. When he had first caught sight of the high school student holding his little girl's hand at the hospital, obviously affectionate, he had been upset to say the least. But when Ikuko had heard, she had demanded Usagi bring her boyfriend to dinner, bursting at the seams to meet him and telling her husband not to be such an old-timer. She confided in Usagi that Kenji was more displeased at the fact she hadn't introduced Mamoru to them properly earlier, and that he was feeling his age; his little bunny was growing up.
       "H-Hai, mama," Usagi laughed, a bit nervous under her father's eye. "He has college to think about in a year, so he's studying too." Inferring that they were going to be studying - studying a possible new enemy, not necessarily schoolwork, but the word was multi-purpose - seemed to be a bad idea in hindsight. Kami-sama, her mother was going to want all the details.
       "Is he truly going? And what college has he chosen?" Ikuko was pleased; a bright student aiming for a true education and a career was just the kind of man her Usagi was destined to marry as far as she was concerned. She had a feeling that her daughter wouldn't be gaining much out of her education for any long-term career.
       "KO University, studying medicine. He wants to become a doctor."
       "That's wonderful! Isn't that what your friend Ami's mother is?"
       "Hai, a physician." Feeling a bit overwhelmed with all of the questions, she backed off towards the genkan again, saying, "Chibi-Usa, are you ready to go?"
       The pink-haired child called, "Hai!" from the top of the stairs, having changed out of her uniform as well. As she came running down, Usagi was struck by the short stature of her future daughter, remembering how she had first estimated Chibi-Usa to be perhaps eight. But now she was in fifth grade, despite her lack of school records - though they had not been a problem when Ikuko had enrolled her in the last few weeks of fourth grade - which made her almost eleven. A rather short eleven.
       Musing on the fact as she slipped on her black Mary Janes and buckled them up, she waited patiently as Chibi-Usa pulled on her own shoes and tied them tight. She had exchanged her uniform for a pair of pink overalls and a red T-shirt, the colour not yet faded from repeat washing and still crisply bright. Ready to go, they both called, "Itekimasu!" and left amidst the cooking smells of their family sitting down to dinner, the door effectively shutting the scene and scents away from their grasp.
       "Ne, Chibi-Usa," Usagi said conversationally as the child ran ahead of her, "how old are you?"
       Warily, the child stopped in her tracks, turning to look at the odango-haired blonde. "Very old. Didn't you know? I'm nine hundred two!"
       "…maaah, seriously!"
       Sighing, Chibi-Usa kicked at a small stone on the concrete of their walkway, looking sheepish. Thoughtfully, she lifted a hand and counted on her fingers, murmuring to herself; then, she finally said, "I turn eleven in June, I think. Isn't that right? Ikuko-mama said something about fifth graders being eleven."
       Arching an eyebrow, Usagi muttered, "You think you're eleven?"
       Now the child looked entirely embarrassed, and she shoved her hands as deep as they could go into her pockets. "I…I stopped growing years ago. Mama and papa wondered what was wrong with me, if I was going to age slowly because of mama's blood, or if I wasn't going to grow at all, because I had no power…but I have power now. So maybe I'll grow up into an adult soon. Besides, the candles on my last cake were ten, though mama and papa have so much on their mind they forget sometimes."
       Well, that certainly explained the height. But… "Why did you say nine hundred two?"
       "Because that was how long I was frozen. And it sounds neat!"
       Frozen like a slab of beef for nine hundred and two years…Usagi suppressed a shudder at the thought, though she couldn't help but wonder if Chibi-Usa was just making that number up as well; after all, how could she know how long she was on ice? "So…how was school, then?" she said finally, trying to make conversation as they walked. She knew the child had been having difficulties with school when Ikuko had first enrolled her, which was to be expected when she had never been, in her life, subject to such an institution with rules and regulations. Not to mention the hundreds of children like her that she mingled with, unaware of her power and lineage and still cruel; on her first day, she had been laughed at.
       Now she was a bit more used to it, used to the idea of timed classes and books and strict obedience. Mercury had been an excellent teacher, but she had no patience when the little princess would refuse to do her lessons, or wanted to wander off; now, she had no choice but to follow the rules. And it didn't help that she was also slightly more advanced in her studies, excepting that of her gym class and art class. "It was fun! Momo-chan, I told you about her, she beat up a boy in our class yesterday, and Sunday she wants us to go to the movies. Our teacher says I'm one of his best students already this year, and I was made class president!"
       The pink-haired child babbled happily as they came to the bus stop, alleviating Usagi's tension. So her future daughter seemed to be interacting well with public society, even surpassing expectations; she felt a twinge of jealousy realizing that she was even better in her classes than her own mother. Of course when the genius girl of Tokyo, grown-up and gifted with the added bonus of years of college, is your private tutor for several years, there was no doubt.
       But as they stepped into the bus and found a seat, Chibi-Usa fell silent, watching the city go by; the Tokyo of the 21st century, a history she had learned years ago. Mercury had been a thorough educator, teaching the princess about the centuries leading up to her birth, of civilizations risen and fallen, rebelling slaves, the abolishment of theocracy. But it was a view of history that any other child in her class knew now, save that of the next decade. And it was a safe history, free of the stories of the sailor soldiers saving the world, of vanquishing their enemies and triumphing over evil. Now, as a sailor soldier in training, she felt frightened to realize that she didn't know what the future would bring for her and her kin, that her mother and father were merely to survive the decade; but of their personal losses and victories, she knew nothing. And she knew now that their bedtime stories about Sailor Moon and her battles were embellished, tepid tales.
       "Chibi-Usa? It's our stop," Usagi said in her ear, tugging at her arm. Shaking the cobwebs from her brain, she followed the odango-haired blonde out of the bus and back into the afternoon sun, blinking up at the building looming just down the sidewalk. It wasn't a tall or imposing building by any means, but it was still prime real estate in a country where land was at a minimum. "Yare yare, we're already so late!"
       "It's your bad behavior at school that causes this!" Chibi-Usa retorted, breaking into a run to avoid her future mother's roar and swing of arms. Though she didn't think of Usagi as her mother in those terms, because she was not, by this time, literally her mother yet. And it was hard to call a fourteen-year-old clumsy crybaby 'mama.' So she thought of Usagi as an older, irritating sister, and by the sound of her feet on the pavement behind her, the thought was mutual. There was no mother and daughter, but children still living life.
       They ran through the doors and the lobby, frightening the wits out of the doorman who was most likely not used to such displays - from the tenants they had seen coming in and out over spring break, it was likely that no families even lived in the building. Inside of the elevator, they squabbled over who would get to push the button, and so the beleaguered doorman finally came up and pushed it for them. "You're such a child, Usagi!" the pink-haired child huffed, turning her head resolutely away.
       "Ha! You're nothing but a brat!" the odango-haired blonde snorted, posing again for her own approval in the mirrors. "My own kid, treating me like this!"
       "Na-ani yo!? You pulled my pigtail!"
       "Well, you pinched my arm!"
       "After you knuckled my head!"
       The doors dinged open, and they walked out, steadily ignoring one another's presence all the way to Alex's door, noses in the air. Knowing it was unlocked, Usagi simply opened the door, and the delicious smells of cooking escaped to envelop them both in joy. They sniffed deeply as they stepped into the unused genkan, chorusing, "Smells good!"
       "Usagi, Chibi-Usa!" Makoto peered around the door of the kitchen, wearing her apron, a tasting cup in hand. "You're just in time!"
       "Yeah, your lateness was anticipated for once!" Alex called from inside.
       They sat to undo their shoes - a habit the tall red-head couldn't break them of, so they simply suffered to wander around in socks and bare feet on the carpet - and idled to join the others in the living room, where they sat staring, in degrees of awareness, at the TV. Luna, in front of the large screen with Artemis and Diana, said in annoyance, "It's about time, you two! Usagi-chan, did you have detention again?"
       "Oh, Luna, we've come to expect that by now from Usagi," Rei sniffed, folded into a serene lotus on the armchair, still in her uniform.
       "But it wasn't my fault!"
       Diana bounded over to Chibi-Usa, purring as she was picked up and snuggled. "Okaa-san, stop being so hard on Usagi-sama!" she giggled, rubbing her cheek against her princess's chin. "I'm sure she's working hard to learn the skills of a queen!"
       "They don't teach Royalty I in middle school, unfortunately, Diana." The dark-haired prince, relaxed on the couch in shirtsleeves and loosened tie, held out a hand to accept Usagi into his arms for a hug and a chaste kiss. She sat down at his feet, folding her arms atop his knees and resting her head.
       "Ne, ne, what are watching?" she asked, eager to change the subject.
       "The police saw another creature in the Infinity Zone. It attacked them before someone began shooting at it." Minako held the remote, turning up the volume a bit more as dishes rattled in the kitchen.
       A blurred picture of the creature appeared, with a caption describing it as captured footage by a high school student filming the police for a class. It was the same grotesque, multi-legged thing they had seen at the Crown, attached in similar fashion to the back of a young Infinity boy perhaps no older than Chibi-Usa. As they watched, it reared out at the police and showed a set of sharp teeth like jagged knives, tearing into the leg of one officer. It then swung around, rampaging down the sidewalk and dragging the poor boy with, scattering pedestrians like ants.
       One of the pedestrians turned towards the camera as the creature came near, pale amethyst eyes wide with something akin to surprised recognition as it bore down on her. Anyone else in her position would have been scared witless and fled, but she simply stood there, half-turned towards it and partially hidden by its body from the lens. She jerked back then as it seemed to yank itself back, twisting on its hind legs and flopping over. The camera caught the stunned look on her face before it too jerked in response as a gun went off, and the creature was driven away from the girl onto the grass. Twitching as more bullets were unloaded into it, it didn't separate from the student as it did during their fight; stopped by human technology, it simply blew into chunks, and lay there like any other sentient form, bleeding into the grass. And after a moment, the boy stopped moving as well.
       The screen changed back to the reporter, who looked understandably a little green, holding her notes with a white-knuckle grip. "…ahm. Footage from the scene itself. The police have no comment as to the nature of the monster, nor to their methods of execution. Again, eyewitnesses commented on the atavistic qualities of the monster. Though Japan has been free of the unusual population problems that many other countries, notably the United States, have had with increasing frequency, many concerned citizens have been besieging the Prime Minister's office to push for a referendum on the immigration laws. Apparently blaming these unusual happenings on the influx of refugees from the destroyed island of -"
       Minako made a rude noise as she turned the TV off.


       Eating dinner at Alex's condo was a far more relaxed affair than one would expect, especially with no table to fit them all. With plates balanced on knees or crowding the coffee table, they dined on garlic stir-fry, pork dumplings, sesame chicken, and beef with pea pods. Rei as usual helped herself to most of the stir-fry, being not so much a true Shinto vegetarian but not a regular meat eater to begin with, which both cooks had learned early on. Minako and Usagi haggled over the pork dumplings, Mamoru and Ami and the two cooks ate a mixed plate of everything, and Chibi-Usa tried a little of all the dishes before arguing with Usagi over the last dumpling.
       Leaving the dishes for later, Alex brought out some coffee, picking up a stack of printed sheets from one of her shelves. "I've been researching the Infinity Zone, seeing as these creatures seem to have something to do with that particular area," she began, flipping through the pages. "It's the unofficial name of the center of the Delta, where the aptly-named Infinity Academy stands. And not surprisingly, the management of the Academy also owns the entire zone."
       "The Delta is a triangle of land, which was separated into three unofficial sections during construction," Luna came in, her speech brisk as always, "nicknamed the Kai Zone, the Mei Zone, and the Ten Zone."
       "Sea, Darkness, and Heaven," Rei murmured.
       "No one knows what it means," Alex took over smoothly, shuffling. "One theory is that Kai stands for water, Mei stands for death, and Ten stands for heaven; a cycle of life. Currently, we sit in the Mei Zone, if you're interested." She withdrew a page, holding it up for them to see: a diagram of the Delta marking each section off.
       Ami, legs folded neatly beneath her as she sat at the coffee table, sipping her coffee, asked, "Is there perhaps significance to the number three? After all, the Delta is merely a section of the Bay recovery. Why was it differentiated in this way?"
       "Three talismans…a dream I had, it spoke of three talismans," Usagi piped up slowly, touching her forehead as if to will it to think harder. "It was a scary dream…"
       "A dream of the Silence?"
       "…a figure, standing atop the building as the tidal wave came closer…"
       "I had that dream too!"
       They all fell quiet, realizing that the dream had not been so unique as they each had thought. Recalling the image of that lone figure effortlessly, the light off the curve of her glaive. And yes, the three talismans had been mentioned, those that had been combined to create the key. But what three talismans could they be?
       Sitting on a barstool in lieu of any open chairs, Alex rested her hands on her knees, sighing. "So we shared the same disturbing dream. A vision of Tokyo, destroyed, a tidal wave coming to sweep it all away?" Heads nodding.
       "But how could we all see that dream, sensei?" Minako asked, her usually cheerful face drawn into a slight moue of confusion. "Did you share it with us?"
        "Why would I?" the tall red-head snorted. "I wouldn't wish it on anyone; gods know I've heard enough about what hell the future might be. All I can guess is that our time trip is still playing with our heads; showing us, maybe, a possible outcome if we don't stop it."
       Diana, her kitten's voice far too sweet for her grave words, said, "But, Alex-sama, there was no such destruction in Tokyo, I'm sure of it. Not until the freeze." Unconsciously, she and the silent Chibi-Usa exchanged glances, both of them remembering only in the vaguest sensory memories of that time.
       Alex shrugged expressively, bringing up her knee to hook her boot on the seat of her stool, holding her knee with hand interlocked around wrist. Her balance was impeccable. "Maybe not, Diana, but you have to realize that we may have disturbed the natural time line by going into the future. This could be an event destined to happen that we're destined to stop, or it could be a freak accident that we caused by being so careless. Nothing is permanent."
       "But if the Delta, with its three points, and your dream, with three talismans, are related, surely this was destined to happen anyway," Artemis finally spoke up, "as the Delta existed in this fashion before we even took the trip."
       "Could we ask the owner of the zone, perhaps?" The dark-haired shrine girl, eschewing the coffee, had made a small pot of green tea for herself, and was pouring another cup of it as she spoke.
       "You could try, but I don't think he'd be very receptive. From what I could find on him, the guy is pretty much a recluse, an outcast scientist who broke a lot of the rules in his studies. I remember hearing about him years ago; he was brilliant, but detached. Experimented a lot on animals in cruel ways. Guess his family was also the ancestral title holder on the recovered Infinity zone - I think eccentricity ran in the blood, seeing as his great-great-whoever bought what was essentially still a chunk of the sea back then - so he owns the entire span by default."
       "Tomoe Souichi, correct?" The blue-haired genius scratched at her nose, trying to cover up her unconscious move to push up her nonexistent reading glasses. It was rather impressively sly, and the others pretended as though they hadn't noticed. "I recall mama talking about him as well, and his genius. But he was short-tempered in public, cold when relating his experiments. The only joy in his life, it was said, was his wife, and their child."
       Ruffling the papers with a free hand, Alex nodded. "Keiko, and Hotaru. His wife died in a fire during construction in the zone, and his daughter was left in critical condition, but miraculously recovered after months of private rehabilitation in their new home; the house and laboratory that the fire had partially destroyed."
       The long-haired blonde frowned, leaning forward to rest her arms on her thighs like a boy, remembering the silhouette of the self-proclaimed god of ruin, and that sharp glinting blade; the voice, sweet, not so much detached as simply indifferent with the devastation she had wreaked. "So is the scientist a suspect? And could he even create such a creature?" She formed a gun with index and thumb fingers, holding it up at the ceiling. "When we used our powers on the creature, it released the student after it blew up.
       "And there was another we know of, outside of these two," she continued, twilight blue eyes focused and serious, Venus instead of Minako taking the initiative, "but it was never attacked, it just dropped on its own, almost as if it was tired, or weak, or incomplete. And that student was left alive as well!"
       "But when the police used their guns, instead of the magic of your powers," Mamoru added, cupping his chin thoughtfully, "the boy and the creature died. Almost as if man-made objects halted the release, a trigger, perhaps, that allowed the other two students to separate and live after its death."
       Usagi, nibbling at her thumbnail in what was for her concentrated thought, spoke up: "Ne, could metal be bad for it? I remember in the fairy stories mama used to read to me that steel was bad for fairies."
       Rei made an exasperated noise, shaking her head. Alex frowned at her, the two of them staring for a long, solid minute, before the dark-haired shrine girl simply looked down and sipped her tea delicately, as though she had let the tall red-head win. Obviously, they still had some ground to cover before they were at total ease with each other. "Though mam'selle maiden over there is too delicate to actively disagree with you, tsukimidango, you might be onto something there. Steel is anathema to fairies, though that doesn't mean it couldn't be deadly to anything else." Alex then grinned rather disarmingly, adding, "if you want to test the theory, you could always throw some salt at it."
       "At least we agree that Infinity Academy is a suspect, ne?" Artemis piped up mildly, hopefully interrupting what he thought was a silly hypothesis as well. All they needed was for Usagi - or, kami forbid, Minako - going out with a salt shaker and actively searching one of the creatures out.
       After a moment of mutual silent deliberation, the group nodded. How nice, for once, to have at least something of an idea about their enemy, before said enemy dropped out of the blue and attacked them. A close enemy, as well; from the condo, the Infinity Academy was a nice brisk walk down a few city blocks. A problematic visible enemy as well; if they were to attack a respectable school en masse, they could end up with some seriously bad press. Especially if they were wrong.
       From there, the meeting was effectively over. A look at the clock told the lateness of the hour, and as it was still a school night, they had been home and in bed if they even wanted to attempt coherency tomorrow. Promising to gather at the Crown Fruit Parlor after classes, the girls and one ensnared prince and three felines made their good byes and let themselves out. Not surprisingly, the place was much quieter with only two left behind; two that cast a rather wry look over the mess of dishes in the sink, the coffee mugs on the table, and throw pillows thrown around the floor. "Tomorrow," they agreed in unison, shaking their heads.
        Makoto made a cup of chamomile tea to take with her upstairs, cradling it carefully as she navigated through the living room. "Goodnight, onee-chan," she yawned, somehow injecting cheer into the words despite her sleepiness.
       "Bonne nuit, Makoto," the tall red-head replied, watching Makoto disappear up the stairs. Touched by the nickname, she allowed herself a ghost of a smile as she settled into the armchair. She missed that subtle interplay with close friends - not that she'd had many whom she could call close, but many whom she could call friends - the warmth and happy understanding. Thoughtfully she glanced at the few pictures in frames atop one of her side tables, able by long recognition to spot herself out of a sea of faces. Her father next to her, or Lee hanging off of her shoulder, mugging for the camera. And the smallest one fit for a wallet, with her childhood face smiling innocently next to her brother, holding her mother's hand.
       She didn't remember if she ever had any dreams of her own; if she did, they were long destroyed by a lifetime of fighting. Fighting to survive, fighting for the good cause, fighting to protect. Leaving it all behind, walking away into normalcy; she'd tried it. And it caught up with her anyway, dragging her without consent into another fight, another battle. Dreams had no place in that world, and she knew it painfully well. And now, she recognized the same problem surfacing in the lives of the girls.
       Their minds were unconsciously closed to her much of the time, psychic interference she supposed from their powers, she'd had the same problem previously. But in distress - which happened often - everything was clear as day, broadcasting their woes like Dolby Surround for her to see and hear. And she disliked knowing it so intimately, always had; it was mental invasion, no matter how hard she blocked them out. She was waiting for them to come to her like in the old days, crying out their woes so she didn't have to forcibly see them.
        Closing her eyes, she hoped none of them dreamed.


       "Fate plays a role in the lives of all individuals," the girl said, crystal clear over the sound of rushing water, echoing through the ruined crevasses of Tokyo's highrises. "Fate is also interpreted differently for the individual. It is destiny, and it is ruin. Fate brought me to this climax, but it was not my fate to bring the climax."
       "So what are you saying?" they cried, averting their eyes from the terror of the water. Beneath their feet they could feel the earth tremble, coming to ruin and disaster quicker and deeper than the Black Moon had hoped to accomplish. Was this irony that they had gone to the future to prevent its destruction, only to come back to the past and see it happen in their time?
       And such a weapon held the power to make it happen. Even in silhouette, it was a magnificent tool, taller than the god of ruin herself. "Certain situations were destined, but could be averted."
       Repetition. They knew those words, she'd said them before. "But what does it mean?"
       "Certain situations were destined, but could be averted."
       "Damn you, tell me! What does it mean, this can't be our future!"
       The touch of the blade against their face, impossible; the girl had not moved, still yards away, and yet the cold steel was pressing into their skin. A warning not to overstep. "In any lifetime, I am merely the weapon. Suspended in a cold and lifeless realm until it was time, I knew no love. No hope. At the summons, I was released, and I sliced through the skin of the kingdom, I brought all to ruin. The collision…awakening, in a similar body. A body that had known happiness and joy. This was a mistake, and yet I carried out my mission. If you do not understand, I have no patience."
       It lifted high, frozen against the backdrop of a tidal wave twice the size of the highest ruins. Screaming to wake up, they scrambled to their feet, tripping over debris and bodies to run, desperate to escape the water even as they heard it drop into the streets. Not even the god of ruin could survive a tonnage of water falling on their head in such a manner, though it hardly mattered; she had brought down her glaive.
       And maybe she wanted to die.
        Then it didn't matter, because the water was so cold…why, they couldn't feel…anything.
       Silence.