Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Rebirth ❯ Eternal Silence ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: All characters belong to Naoko Takeuchi.

Note: I'm not sure how the sigils work. From what I think I understand, they either appear on the forehead when a Scout is under great stress (usually negative), or when a Scout is using tons of power (i.e. when Serena turned into the Moon Princess to defeat Queen Beryl). Maybe that's wrong, but I'm just using my imagination here. I'm also a little foggy on how the Silver Millennium ended, so I'm improvising as best I can. Enjoy!

Rebirth, Part 3: Eternal Silence


I can't understand it. Every time the Outer Scouts attack, I fall to the ground. But every time I fall, my body refuses to stay down. Unfortunately, every time I get up, they increase the intensity of their attacks. I don't know how much more of this I can take.

My knees are bruised and bloody, and one of my boots is gone, probably lost as I tried to dodge an attack. My shoulders are sore from blocking with the Silence Glaive, and my hands ache from gripping it so tightly. I feel something warm dripping from my face, but my cheeks are numb, so I can't tell if it's blood or sweat. The Outer Scouts don't give me time to find out, anyway.

Uranus, as always, starts the next round of attacks. She charges and catches me off guard, slamming her shoulder into my forehead. Before I have time to recover, Neptune drives her fist into my back. Pluto completes the triple-team, sweeping my legs with her Time Staff. The world spins for a few seconds before my head hits the concrete. I know I would be in even more pain if I wasn't a Sailor Scout, and that fact brings me some comfort.

Uranus's face comes into view. "Do you quit so soon, Saturn? We thought you'd be more of a challenge."

"Not...done yet," I hear myself groan. It takes much effort to sit up, and even more to clear my vision enough to distinguish the three women from each other. "Won't...give up...now."

"In a few minutes, you won't have to," Neptune responds. "We'll already have destroyed you by then."

My hand moves faster than I knew possible, and the blow barely touches her right cheek. Still, Neptune steps back in shock, clutching the red spot. I take advantage and tackle her around the waist. I am able to land three punches to her face before Uranus pulls me off.

"You'll pay for hurting her!"

I am forced to agree as Uranus uses her World Shaking attack at point-blank range. The energy burns through my costume and scorches my back. Mercifully, it also throws me the ground, sparing at least some of my dignity as most of my costume begins to fall away in pieces.

Pluto quickly appears nearby, silently daring me to make a move. Uranus goes to check on Neptune, who hasn't completely recovered from my punches.

"That will be more than enough, Outer Sailor Scouts."

The new voice belongs to Tuxedo Mask. I have to admit that I didn't think he was on my side, but I'm extremely glad that he's here. I could really use his cape right about now.

"Stay out of this!" Uranus shouts. "It doesn't concern you!"

"I think it does," he replies. "I am protector and friend to all the Sailor Scouts, and that includes Saturn, whether you three like it or not."

Uranus frowns, but I don't think she will attack him. At least, I hope not.

Tuxedo Mask comes closer with a few quick strides, but when he realizes that I am no longer fully dressed, he turns away, removes his cape, and offers it to me. Without hesitation, I quickly grab it, wrapping it tightly around my body. "Thank you," I whisper, trying not to seem more embarrassed than I already am.

"You're welcome, Sailor Saturn." He slowly turns to face me, trying to make sure that his cape covers everything it should. "Are you hurt?" he asks, concern dominating his gentle voice.

I nod slightly, glancing nervously at the Outer Scouts. None of them are very happy.

"Come with me." Tuxedo Mask offers me his hand, and then, sensing my hesitation, he adds quietly, "Please."

I don't really have a choice. If I refuse, Uranus wouldn't hesitate to continue her assault. Swallowing noisily, I slowly take his hand and gasp in surprise as my legs weaken and give out.

Before I can hit the ground, Tuxedo Mask is there, gently catching me in his arms. I can feel my cheeks glowing red as I try to stand, but he stops me. "Don't strain yourself. Let me carry you." He keeps insisting until I finally give up. Then, as if I was a baby, he carefully lifts me and transports me away from the Outer Scouts.

I have no idea where he's taking me, but for some reason, I feel I can trust him completely. The last thing I remember is the genuine smile on his face before I fall asleep in his arms.

* * * * *

"I want to thank you girls for bringing me home," Professor Tomoe said. "You really didn't have to."

"Oh, we don't mind," Serena replied. "We couldn't just leave you alo-"

"Isn't anyone worried about Hotaru?" Reenie interrupted. She ignored the look Serena gave her. "What if Darien can't find her?"

"Hotaru has always been a very resourceful child," Tomoe responded. "I'm sure she can take care of herself just fine. There's really no reason for concern."

Reenie stared at him in disbelief. "How can you say that? You don't know where she is, who she's with, or even if she's hurt!"

"I have faith in my daughter's abilities, Reenie. Maybe you should, too."

* * * * *

Hotaru wasn't sure where she was. It wasn't home, and she couldn't remember ever being in the apartment before. She was lying on the couch, but instead of Tuxedo Mask's cape, she was wearing an oversized sweatshirt. Fortunately, because she was so small, it covered everything.

"I see you're awake now. Feeling better, I hope?"

Hotaru gasped as Darien Chiba appeared beside her, holding a small cup. She recognized him instantly. He was the same young man she'd met in the park only yesterday. At least, she thought it was yesterday. She'd been asleep for quite some time now.

When she didn't answer his question, Darien offered her the cup. "I made you some tea."

Hotaru slowly took the cup, keeping her violet eyes on his face. "Where is Tuxedo Mask?"

Darien thought for a moment, then sighed. "He's right here. I am Tuxedo Mask, Hotaru."

She never even blinked. "So you know my secret, too."

"Yes, but you don't need to be afraid. I'm not going to tell-"

"I know I can trust you," she interrupted. "I just wish I had known that sooner."

Darien sat down beside her. "You still haven't regained your memory, have you?"

Hotaru thought for a moment. "It's like the door to my memory is closed. In my human form, it opens just a bit from time to time, but while I am Saturn, the door opens wider. Does that make any sense?"

"More than you know," he replied, placing a hand on her shoulder. "For a long time, I couldn't access all of my memories, either. I know how hard it is, trying to distinguish your dreams from reality. It takes time, and it's not always easy to do alone."

"How long have I been asleep?"

"You fell asleep before we got here last night, and you slept through the morning. It's almost noon." Darien hesitated before asking the next question. He didn't want to pry, but something was bothering him. "Can you tell me why Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto were attacking you?"

Hotaru quietly sipped her tea. "I just assumed they were continuing their mission of trying to destroy me. I don't know why."

"It might have something to do with you killing the Amazon Trio," he pointed out.

She paused. "I didn't mean to. I lose control sometimes, and it just...happens."

Darien gave her a cautious look. "Sometimes? How often does this happen, Hotaru?"

Hotaru lowered her eyes to the floor. "Well...every time."

"What kind of monsters have you been fighting, then?"

"The last one was a bank robber, but he-"

Darien looked at her in disbelief. "Wait a minute. You've been killing people?!"

"Yes, but it's the only way to stop them from hurting the innocent people!"

"It's still murder, Hotaru, and that's wrong."

Hotaru frowned and put the cup down. "You said you were friend to all the Scouts, but I guess you just meant all of them except me. Maybe you're working with the Outers to destroy me, too."

"I am your friend, but if I try to protect you after you've killed people, the Scouts would all turn against us." Darien sighed and stood up. "I think you should go home now." Before he realized it, she was gone. The last trace of her exit was the black hole that quickly spiraled out of existence.

* * * * *

My bedroom is dark, save for the small lamps I always keep around. Without their light, I wouldn't notice the tiny figure lying on my bed.

Not wanting to wake her, I approach the bed and carefully sit next to her. She gives no sign that she notices the sudden shift of the bed. I stretch out a hand to touch her pink hair, then suddenly stop. Would she want me to touch her if she knew what I had done? Maybe she would turn on me, like Darien had.

Before I can give the matter anymore thought, she grunts and rolls toward me. Her cheek comes to rest just above my knee, and her eyes gradually drift open to meet mine.

"Hello again, Reenie," I whisper.

She doesn't say anything at first, and for a horrible moment, I fear that somehow, she can see what I have done in my eyes. Finally, she smiles and says, "I'm glad you came back."

I return the smile, but quickly let it fade. "I'm afraid I have to leave again, very soon."

Reenie instantly sits up and throws her arms around me. "No!" she pleads. "Take me with you!"

I slowly wrap my arms around her. "I can't do that, Reenie. This is something I must do alone."

"At least tell me where you went last time!"

"I had to meet...some old friends."

Reenie pulls back a moment to stare at my face, but doesn't let go of me. "You went to fight the Outer Scouts, didn't you?"

It is getting harder and harder to protect my secret identity when so many people know me from my former life. At least I can trust them. "Yes," I finally admit.

"Did you win?" she asks eagerly. Her face falls when I don't respond right away.

"No. Tuxedo Mask rescued me."

"Cool! Did he give you a rose?"

I sigh. I can only hide the truth for so long. Darien will almost certainly tell the other Scouts, and if Reenie has to find out, I want to be the one to tell her. "No, Reenie. He took me to his apartment so I could rest, but once he found out that I had killed people, he asked me to leave. That's when I came here."

There is pure shock in her expression, and her grip on me tightens. "Why, Hotaru?" she asks. "Why'd you do that?"

"I wanted to stop them from hurting innocent people," I explain. "But when I'm Saturn, sometimes I can't control what I do. This...force takes over my mind, and it makes me do terrible things."

"Is that what happened when you saved me the other day?"

I nod. "I didn't want to kill the Amazon Trio. I'll understand if you don't want to be my friend anymore."

I start to move away, but Reenie pulls me closer and hugs me again. "I'll always be your friend, Hotaru," she whispers, gently kissing my cheek. "No matter what happens, I'll always be on your side."

For some reason, my head begins to pound just then. Even though I close my eyes in pain, I can tell that my sigil is glowing again. Suddenly, I feel a soothing pressure on my forehead, and the pain fades. I open my eyes, swallowing a gasp as I look directly into Reenie's. Her forehead is pressed to mine. I notice that her sigil is also glowing, but her pink rays seem to be canceling out my violet sparkles.

"Mommy showed me this once," Reenie says. "Does it still hurt?"

"No," I whisper. "Thank you, Reenie."

She smiles and pulls away. "Mine used to hurt a lot, too." She giggles. "Now we're sigil sisters!"

"What does that mean?"

"We have a special bond," she explains. "We'll be able to talk to each other whenever we want, even if we're far apart. Mommy says it's like telepathy and empathy rolled into one, whatever that means."

"Isn't that risky?" I ask.

"If one of us gets in trouble, the other will know, and be able to warn the other Scouts. That's not risky, it's helpful!"

It is obvious that Reenie considers this bond a very good thing, so I will not try to dampen her high spirits. "I should go now."

She takes my hands and squeezes them. "Do you have to?"

"Yes. I must face the Outer Scouts."

"You're going to fight them again?"

I hesitate. "Maybe. It will depend on them." Strangely enough, I cannot look at her directly as the next words leave my mouth. "Thank you for your friendship, Reenie. It means a lot to me, and I will treasure it always."

She lifts my head up with her small hands. "Well, you mean a lot to me, Hotaru. Don't get hurt out there, okay?"

I nod as best I can, but her touch is making me dizzy. "I...will be careful," is all I can think to say before the darkness begins to swallow me. The last thing I see is Reenie's bright smile as she waves goodbye.

* * * * *

"This is crazy," Neptune muttered. "She can't possibly think she's strong enough to defeat us."

"Especially after what we did to her last time," Uranus added. "Maybe she wants to be destroyed."

"Maybe you should stop assuming she's come here to fight." Pluto seemed to materialize behind them. "At any rate, she's calling us this time. The least we could do is find out what she wants." Without waiting for an answer, she stepped from the bushes and entered the clearing.

Uranus and Neptune glanced at each other before following her.

In the center of the clearing, sitting on a large boulder, was Sailor Saturn. Her sigil was glowing brightly, acting as a beacon. Once she spotted the Outer Scouts, the sigil lost its light and faded.

"You know you don't stand a chance against us," Uranus said.

Saturn took her time responding. "The bruises on Neptune's face say different, but you can believe what you want to."

Uranus almost lashed out then, but Pluto held her back.

After a few moments of tense silence, Saturn spoke again. "I didn't come here to fight any of you. I need your help."

Uranus snorted loudly, and Neptune's face remained impassive. Pluto asked, "Why should we help you?"

"I want to know how to fight without killing my opponents."

"That's easy," Uranus replied. "You lose."

Saturn sighed and stood up. "Never mind. If you're going to be immature about it, I'll just go to the Inner Scouts."

"What makes you think we'll let you leave?" Neptune asked.

"What makes you think you can stop me?" Saturn shot back. Her eyes narrowed. "I won't fight you, but don't think for a second that I'm afraid of any of you."

"You've got a smart mouth, kid," Uranus said. "Maybe someone should shut it for you."

"Someone should do the same for you, Uranus."

The Outer Scouts turned to see the Inner Scouts, Tuxedo Mask, and Mini Moon at the entrance to the clearing. Sailor Moon stepped forward. "I don't know what you three were planning to do to Saturn, but nothing happens unless we all agree on it."

Saturn raised her hand, and instantly she was gripping the Silence Glaive. She stepped off the boulder and placed herself between the two groups. "I know I've done some terrible things in the past, and I'm truly sorry for them." She paused and looked at Tuxedo Mask. "But I can't make up for my mistakes without help." Then she looked at Uranus. "And if you won't help me, I'll find someone else who will."

"Nobody blames you for killing those people, Saturn," Sailor Moon said. "We know you were only trying to help, and that you couldn't control the force inside you."

"But it does need to be controlled," Neptune pointed out.

"Or destroyed," Uranus added. "But that's not why we attacked her. We were testing her."

"Testing?!" Tuxedo Mask nearly shouted.

"Saturn wields a great power for such a young girl," Pluto explained calmly. "We had to be sure that she knew how to use it properly."

"And does she?" Venus asked.

"It's difficult to say," Neptune replied. "She only avoided or physically countered our attacks. We still haven't seen what she's really capable of."

"Allow me to show you." Before anyone realized what she was doing, Saturn swung the Silence Glaive in a wide arc, sending a wave of violet energy sweeping across the clearing. For several seconds, nothing happened. Then there were several loud cracking sounds as the surrounding trees began to fall. The Scouts ran for cover as the trees crashed to the ground.

Mini Moon was the first to realize that one of them was missing. "Where's Saturn?!"

"Up here, Mini Moon."

The Scouts all looked up to see Saturn floating above them, encased in a bubble of violent energy.

"Have I passed your 'test' now?"

"No, but it's definitely a great start," Pluto admitted. "Show her, Neptune."

Neptune drew out her mirror and held it up. "I need you to look at this. Tell me what you see."

Saturn dropped to the ground and gazed into the mirror. "I don't see anything."

"Keep looking," Uranus said.

Suddenly, Saturn saw a faint light in the mirror. She tried to focus on it, but suddenly felt very tired. With a quiet groan, she collapsed to the ground.

"What'd you do to her?!" Mini Moon shrieked.

Pluto kneeled beside Saturn and checked her pulse. "Strange as it may seem, sometimes the best way to awaken the power within," she whispered, "is to have a dream."

* * * * *

It takes me a few moments to realize what must have happened. Somehow, I'm trapped inside Neptune's mirror. There is whole world around, but there's only one problem. The world...it's dying.

I can hear the terrified screams in my head, as well as all around me. I can see the people fleeing for their lives, even though there is no chance for them to survive. I can see the buildings collapsing in great clouds of dust. I can see the moon...and it drips with crimson blood.

There is a great flash of light, and then I am standing in the throne room of a great palace. It seems so familiar...but I can't remember yet. I see something glowing faintly behind the throne, and as I approach it, something tells me not to look, but I must.

There is a woman lying on the floor, and though I'm not sure how, I can tell she is about to die. Suddenly, her gaze falls upon me, and there is an almost deranged look in her eyes. "It is time," she whispers before falling silent forever.

That's when I notice the glowing sigil on her forehead. It is a crescent moon. As I watch, the sigil stops glowing and fades.

A cold wind blows through the room, and then a shadowy figure appears behind the woman. "No more can I sleep," it whispers. "I have been summoned, so this world must end."

My sigil begins glowing brightly as the shadow comes closer, and without even thinking about it, I know who this shadow is, and what it is about to do. I also know there's nothing I can do to stop it. The shadow finally steps into the dim light, and my fears are confirmed. She shares my sigil, my face, and my body. There is no doubt in my mind that she shares my power, too.

The Silence Glaive appears in her right hand. "As it ends, another begins!" I hear her whisper one last thing before the weapon falls. It seems to shred the air, and overwhelming darkness flies from the blade, covering everything, even me. As I am swallowed up, I can see her eyes. Though she is looking right through me, I can almost feel the pain and grief in her soul. Finally, she vanishes, and the world ends.

There is a blinding light, and I am forced to shield my eyes. A hand touches my arm, and the light fades. I slowly look up, only to stare into the eyes of Queen Serenity herself.

"Ending worlds is not your only purpose, Saturn," she says. "Like the others, you were reborn on Earth for a reason the first time, and this second time is no different. Your power is just as important as any other Sailor Scout's. You must always remember that, and never forget where you come from." She gently kisses my forehead, then releases me.

* * * * *

"Hey, I think she's waking up!"

Sailor Saturn opened her eyes. The rest of the Scouts were crowded around her, watching in anxious silence. "What...happened?" she asked.

"We were hoping you could tell us," Mars replied. "Did you have a dream?"

"Yes," Saturn said slowly.

"Well, what'd you see?" Jupiter asked.

"I...I don't want to talk about it." Saturn pushed through the circle, trying to get away as quickly as possible. The dream was still fresh in her mind, and for some reason, she felt it should stay there.

Tuxedo Mask caught her arm before she could get very far. "Saturn, it's obvious you can't do this alone. That's why you called the Outer Scouts. Running away won't solve anything."

"I'm not running away," she said, pulling her arm from his grasp. "I just need to be alone for tonight."

"Are you sure that's what you want?" Mini Moon asked, a concerned look on her face.

Saturn paused and looked back at her. "Yes. For now, I need some time to think."

"And when you're done with that?"

Saturn smiled just before she leaped into one of her black holes. "I'll let you know."

* * * * *

Professor Tomoe stared into the darkness of his daughter's dimly-lit bedroom. He had done this many times on many nights, and the act always gave him a sense of comfort. A sense that aside from everything he had ever done wrong, there was at least one thing that had turned out right. He'd literally been given a second chance with Hotaru. He wasn't sure which was better: getting a chance to correct his mistakes from the first time, or the magic of watching her grow up all over again.

Through it all, there was one constant: Hotaru would always love him, no matter what he did. Not that he could do much without her help anymore. She was amazingly patient with him, and didn't seem to mind helping him perform everyday tasks. She had even offered to help bathe and clothe him at times, but when he kept firmly refusing, she stopped asking. Tomoe wouldn't let his daughter's concern for him compromise the little dignity he still had.

Then, of course, there was the problem of her being a Sailor Scout. He never could stop worrying when she went out at night. Lately, she was even starting to do it during the day. He understood the need to protect people, but he wanted a normal life for Hotaru. As close to normal as possible, anyway.

But getting used to black holes appearing in front of you wasn't normal, and he'd made a point of telling her so. She'd silently complied, as usual. Though she still used the black holes, Hotaru never used them in front of him again. She would say she was going "out," give him a parting kiss on the cheek, and then leave the room.

This night was different; he could feel it. It wasn't that late yet, but he knew something wasn't right. He would definitely ask Hotaru about it when she returned.

Then, in that instant, she was there. He'd been so absorbed in his thoughts, Tomoe hadn't noticed her approaching until she was right beside him. It was almost eerie at times how quiet she was. Maybe a little too quiet.

"Long night, Daddy?" she asked.

"Very. How was yours?"

Hotaru tilted her head thoughtfully. "I think...for the first time...I found myself."

He rubbed the bridge of his nose, being careful not to move his glasses. "That's nice, dear, but you should really go to bed now. I know I never gave you a bedtime, but you've never needed one until this Sailor business came up."

She nodded and started to enter her bedroom, then stopped. "Daddy, what will happen to me when you...well..."

"When I what, Hotaru?"

Hotaru seemed very nervous all of a sudden. "Please forgive me for asking this, but...what will happen to me...when you die?"

"That's a perfectly reasonable question, sweetheart. I have been going over my will lately, making changes here and there. To be honest, I can't think of anyone I could trust with raising you. We don't have many relatives around here, and I wouldn't want to move away so soon after I died."

"I might have a suggestion..."

Tomoe coughed and cleared his throat. "We can talk about that in the morning, honey."

Hotaru reached up to hug him. "Sleep well, Daddy."

As she kissed his cheek, Tomoe was surprised to find that his daughter's lips felt somewhat cold. He quickly pushed the realization out of his mind. She had been outside all night, and it was getting colder. Still, it wouldn't explain why his entire body was cold now...

Continued in Rebirth, Part 4: A New Family