Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Reconciliation ❯ Heartbreak ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]




Reconciliation Prologue: Heartbreak


"I never want to see you again!" Darien shouted as she shoved a bawling Serena out of his apartment, slamming the door in her face before he changed his mind.
Sobs racked her body as she pounded on his closed door. "You don't mean that Darien!" she shouted through the wooden barrier that separated them. "I know you still love me! Darien!" Her knees buckled under her, and she slid to the floor. She pulled her knees up and buried her tear-soaked face in them. "Darien." She repeated over and over between sobs.
'Oh, Serena.' Darien thought, leaning against the closed door, feeling the vibrations as she pounded on the other side. His heart was breaking as he listened to her cry. 'If you only knew how much I love you.' Eventually, he heard her get up and leave. He didn't move from the door until he heard the ding of the elevator as it closed.
Serena had no idea how long she had been sitting outside Darien's door, hoping he would change his mind and let her in. That he would take her into his arms and say he was sorry, that he really loved her, and prove it by kissing her only the way he could. The way that made her insides melt like butter. She sobbed again inside the elevator. She knew he had been right there, on the other side of the door, but he wouldn't let her in. 'Why, Darien? Why?' Her mind screamed silently at him. She had finally given up and left. Too tired to even cry anymore. Maybe he didn't care for her anymore. She shook her head. No. She thought. 'He still loves me as much as I love him. I can feel it.'
A few minutes later she was outside, walking towards home. Darien was on has balcony, waiting for her. Oh, god, he loved her. He felt as though he was feeling her pain as he watched her noticeably downcast figure walk away from the building. Away from him. 'Forever?' The thought sent pain through him that was so loud he could hear it. He covered his mouth to keep from crying out.
When she left the building, it was dark. She felt someone watching her. She looked up instinctively at Darien's apartment. There he was, his handsome figure a silhouette against the light coming from inside, behind him. She couldn't see his face, but just knowing he was there, sent renewed pain coursing through her. Against her will she let out a loud sob and ran off into the cover of the trees in a nearby park.
She wanted to stop, but her body wouldn't let her. She just kept running until her legs wouldn't go another step. She dropped to the curb and cried until the tears ran out. She dried her eyes and got up, looking around, she realized she didn't know where she was. She wasn't afraid. The pain Darien had caused her had left her numb. She just wandered in a haze of numbness.
Eventually, the dim glow of the sun began to show through the buildings. Serena was exhausted, but she forced herself forward, each step a little slower than the last. People had begun to come out, the city coming to life around her. She barely noticed. She continued moving aimlessly until the sun was fully into the sky. Wondering what time it was, she rounded a corner. She breathed a sigh of relief when Raye's temple came into view. Slowly, she forced herself to her friend's home and up the long flight of stairs.
"Serena!" she heard Raye's angry voice yell at her. "Where have you been! You were supposed to be here an hour ago!" Serena sighed. She had completely forgotten about the meeting.
"Hold on Raye." Amy said next. "She doesn't look right. Something's wrong." Lita had noticed it too. Their friend was walking very slowly, her head hanging, watching her own forced steps. Something was very wrong. She looked awful.
Lita ran to her. Serena heard her gasp when she looked up into her friend's worried eyes. That was the last thing she remembered before waking to the voices of all her friends. She groaned. They turned and looked at her.
"You're awake!" Mina exclaimed, rushing over to Serena's side, followed by the others.
Serena realized she was in Raye's bed. Sitting up, she shook the fatigue from her head. "What happened?" She asked 6 very worried faces.
"We could ask you the same question." Raye seemed annoyed at having Serena in her bed.
Lita elbowed her. "Shut up Raye."
"You fainted." Amy said, answering her question.
"What happened to you Serena?" Mina's gentle voice asked, full of concern for her friend.
Serena's mind spun. All at once she remembered the events of the previous night. "Darien..." she whispered, wide eyed, before giving into the pain and tears once again. She fell back onto the bed and buried her face into the pillow. She didn't care if everyone saw her pain; it was much too strong to conceal from anyone.
Above the sobs she barely heard her friends deciding something, and was vaguely aware of them getting up and leaving, one by one. "We'll be outside if you need us." Raye whispered into her ear before leaving as well. That just made Serena cry harder as she heard the door slide shut. Underneath Raye's angry demeanor, she really did care for Serena.



Darien had spent the night pacing his apartment. He knew how much he had hurt Serena. He had seen the look on her face in the moonlight when she looked up at him. Even in all her pain, she was still the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. 'Why does it have to be like this?' He thought, asking himself the same question Serena had. "WHY!?" He shouted into an empty apartment.
He had watched Serena run off into the wood in the park. A few minutes later he thought he saw her running out the other side. No, he knew it was her. He had hoped she would be alright. She was running blind in the night, and as much as he wanted to follow her and comfort her, he knew he had to leave her alone.The sound of his phone startled him out of his thoughts. "Hello!?" He shouted into the receiver, angrier than he should have. He was mad at himself, and fate, not the person on the phone, whoever it was.
Lita wrinkled her nose and pulled the phone away from her ear when Darien's angry 'hello' had come through the other side. "Geez! Ya don't need to yell at me you know!" She said into the receiver.
Darien relaxed. It was only Lita. Loyal to Serena as always. They were her closest friends, but had become friends of his as well since they had defeated Queen Beryl. Especially Lita, who had become his best friend. "Oh, hi Lita. Sorry for yelling. I'm a little tense right now."
"Doesn't surprise me. From the way Serena was when she walked in here, and the fact that the only thing she's said between passing out and bawling is your name, I'd have to guess something happened between the two of you." Everyone had been against her calling him, but she had to know what was going on. Serena was her best friend, and besides that, she and Darien had gotten to be pretty good friends since they ended up on the same team.
'Serena! Oh my god, what have I done?!' Darien's head spun, and it didn't help that he hadn't slept at all. He flopped into the couch to keep from falling under his rapidly weakening knees. "How is she?" he asked carefully. He had seen Lita's temper in battles, and didn't want to ever end up on the receiving end.
"She's passed out again I think. At least she isn't crying anymore. Darien what happened?"
He ran a hand through his hair. "It's a long story." He sighed. Then he heard a scream, bolting upright he almost yelled into the phone. "What's happening?"
"I'll talk to you later Darien! They're after Rini again!" Lita yelled into the phone over the sounds of battle. Another scream. "I'm needed, and so are you. Serena's in no condition to fight. You better get here!" Then the line went dead.
He leapt up and out the door. 'Serena!' His mind screamed. 'I'm coming!'



Serena awoke to the sounds of battle, and Rini screaming. She had very little energy, and part of her blamed Rini for her loss of Darien, but still she felt compelled to protect this mysterious little girl. She leapt out of the bed and quickly transformed into Sailor Moon. Running out to join the battle, she prayed that she had the energy to protect Rini.
What she saw outside almost knocked her off her feet. Tuxedo Mask in a tree with Rini in his arms. The memory of him rescuing her in the same way had her almost breaking down again. She shook her head, forcing the pain away. She a job to do right now.
"Stop right there!" She yelled at a redheaded man floating in the sky. She recognized him as part of the dark moon family from the upside-down black crescent moon on his forehead. What she didn't know was Rini's yellow crescent was just now disappearing, but both Tuxedo Mask and Rubeus had seen it.
She clutched her sceptor angrily in her fist. "You will pay for attacking my friends!" She yelled at him.
He laughed. "Friends? You don't know do you?"
Just the tone of his voice had her blood boiling. She skipped the routine to make the sceptor work and just blasted him with it. She caught him off guard and knocked him to the ground. "Now you're fighting on my level." She ground out between clenched teeth. She aimed again, and missed.
Rubeus was a little nervous, barely dodging that last shot. He'd never seen her like this. He decided to take off now instead of risking his life. Who knew what she was capable of like this?
The fact was, she scared everyone there. They were all afraid to approach her as she just stood there, furiously staring at the last place Rubeus had been before he disappeared like the coward he was. She had been worried before about her not having enough energy, but now she was itching for a good fight, and was sorely disappointed when Rubeus had disappeared.
"Sailor Moon?" Cautiously, Venus had approached her friend. "Are you ok?" Then she saw her visibly relax. Serena nodded, deliberately keeping her eyes away from where she knew Tuxedo mask was giving and unconscious Rini to Jupiter.
The thought of the two of them had her mind spinning again. 'It's all Rini's fault!' She wanted to yell. 'Things were fine before that little pink-haired brat showed up to take him away from me!' She fumed. She was ready to grab the kid by her imitation of her own hair and spin her until she flew back to where she came from. Instead, she just stared daggers at the unconscious little body when Jupiter came to her, carrying Rini.
"I'm going home!" Sailor Moon announced, spinning away from her started friends.
"What about Rini?" Mars yelled at her.
"Keep her!" She yelled back, transforming back as she walked away.
The four girls looked at each other. "I'll go talk to her." Mina announced as they transformed back. Mina grabbed Serena's bag from inside and ran after Serena.
Darien tried to slip away unnoticed, but Raye grabbed his arm, stopping him from going anywhere.
"Oh no you don't!" Raye said in a commanding tone. "You're going to stay here and tell us what the hell you did!"
Darien sighed. He had hoped he wouldn't have to face them, but there was no way he was getting away now. Might as well tell them everything, he thought.



Several hours later, Serena had convinced Mina that she was fine and didn't need to stay with her anymore. Though Mina had left reluctantly, it was obvious that Serena was not ok. She decided her friend needed some alone time, so after making Luna promise to stay with her, and making Serena promise not to do anything without talking to one of them first, Mina left.
Serena had no intention of calling anyone before she went through with her plan. She waited until everyone was asleep, including Luna, then quietly grabbed her scepter, and slipped out of the house.




On to Part 1